Youngest trip to WDW? 1 MO too young?

awaldo

Mouseketeer
We took our DD, soon 3, to WDW last January and Last July, 2 YO and 2.5 YO respectively. We would so want to take her back this July. We are expecting a new bundle of joy around mid-June. We are having a hard time talking ourselves out of the trip, we think we can handle it. Any votes/suggestions, either way? That would put our newborn around 1.5 months. That is the ONLY time of year we can go this year, and the sun rises and sets with Disney, as far as my DD is concerned (ok, a little for me too!)

I think you should go just make sure to bring lots of shade for the little one. We will be going with a 4 month old in late October early November. I just couldn't imagine making my other kids wait another year or two for the baby to be older. We'll go and make it work.

I think a one month old in the Flordia heat is not such a good idea. I would for sure check with your pediatricain to get his or her take on it before booking. Our dr. would have said no.

The heat is a HUGE issue. We took our son in September when he was 5 months old. Poor guy was so miserable. It was VERY hard to keep him hydrated. It was probably the most (only) miserable trip I've ever had.

I also think it's much harder to take them before they can sit up on their own. We took our older daughter when she was 7 months and it was SO much easier.

Also not to mention, if you have a difficult delivery, you might not be up for a trip so soon after.

The youngest i took one of my girls was 2 months...but that was in February. I would be a bit concerned with the heat...it is SOOOOO Hot in July and August (we go that time every year) I would be concerned with the baby not being able to regulate his/her body temperature and keeping the baby hydrated.. i think it definitely could be done though if you have a REALLY large sun shade, and hat and limit yourself to only a few hours in the parks during the day.

I wouldn't do it. My ped didn't want my dd in large crowds until at least 2 months of age because if she got sick with a fever, she'd have to go to the ER. As you know, July would be HOT and crowded. Your newborn probably won't be too happy in the summer heat. You'd have to spend the heat of the day in the hotel room or indoors somewhere. During a cooler time of year and with 2+ month old, I would say go for it.

I was all about getting out and getting going when I had my two, but I think WDW in July might be overdoing it. The heat is really only one issue you'll encounter. You'll still be adjusting to life with two children, you might be feeling a little under the weather still, and those first couple of months with a little one are kind of grueling anyway. No sleep, etc.

Have you thought about going when you're pregnant? I did that when I was in the mid stages of my pregnancy and it was fine. Plus, you wouldn't have to deal with the heat. Or, maybe wait until the fall? I took a five month old in March and he did fine. I'm sure the October weather is similar to March. He slept in the stroller, wasn't nursing/eating as much, and I was more adjusted to the whole situation. It was actually a really nice trip, other than the baby getting a cold, but you can't avoid the surprises!

Congrats on the baby...good luck on your pregnancy and with this decision!

We took our DD, soon 3, to WDW last January and Last July, 2 YO and 2.5 YO respectively. We would so want to take her back this July. We are expecting a new bundle of joy around mid-June. We are having a hard time talking ourselves out of the trip, we think we can handle it. Any votes/suggestions, either way? That would put our newborn around 1.5 months. That is the ONLY time of year we can go this year, and the sun rises and sets with Disney, as far as my DD is concerned (ok, a little for me too!)

Personally I would wait. DS8 was an easy baby and probably would have been fine. DD4 however was a screamer and screamed for the better part of her 1st 4 months.:scared1: Disney would have been a nightmare. There is no way to know if the baby would be okay until you know what your baby's temperament is.

I'd find another time to go or wait a year. I am pretty sure with both of my kids I was not fit to walk the miles and miles necessary at only 6 weeks pp. I was still getting to know my babies and I was still working on recovery.

I just don't think I'd take my 6 week old baby to Disney. disney will always be there for you and your family.

We're going on a family trip next month and we will have an almost 4month old with us. Before he was born we thought about going in mid-December, but decided to hold off for a little bit because #1. If for some reason I had to have a c-section (I didn't) I think it would have been too soon for me and #2. By the time we go he will at least have had one set of shots and he's at least in somewhat of a routine. We're also going at a time when the weather will be cooler for the baby. Last time we went was in Sept. with an 8 month old and the heat was pretty had on him at 8 months so I don't think I'd go in the heat of summer with a newborn. I know it's hard to wait, but it's probably for the best.

There is now way I would take a newborn to Disney in July, or any other month for that matter. I just see it as being a stressful trip, lugging around the diaper bag, bottles (if not b/feeding), etc. It's bad enough carrying our stuff around without the diaper bags. Is there any way you can leave the baby with yours or Dh's parents for and still take your DD? That is what we would do in this case.

I'm sorry to be a downer like many of the other posters, but I wouldn't either, especially if Disney is far away for you. If you were a half hour away, then no problem. However, if your baby comes late, s/he may be only be a few weeks old and then some airlines may not even allow your child to fly. Also, if God forbid, your child needs extra monitoring due to jaundice, or other problems, you'll be within your 45 day window and will need to cancel with less than 100% back.

I just remember being udderly exhausted those first few weeks, I couldn't imagine trying to run around at Disney being that exhausted, trying to BF (or not) and getting to know this newborn.

I've taken both of my DDs when they were 4 mos old. Both were a dream at that age. They sleep most of the day and they stay where you put them :goodvibes :lmao:

The first was in March of 04, Second was in October 07. I've been in WDW in July and I'm not sure I would subject a 1 mo old to that....as others have said, they really can't regulate their temps at that age.

There are so many unknowns..My 2nd DD had terrible colic until 11 weeks, it was a nightmare.

If you can push the schedule out a bit just to get past that three month mark... Just my 2cents.

There are so many unknowns..My 2nd DD had terrible colic until 11 weeks, it was a nightmare.

If you can push the schedule out a bit just to get past that three month mark... Just my 2cents.

My DD had horrendous colic and acid reflux for most of her first year. We went to Disney for 11 overnight trips that year, just to get me out of the house (we live 1.5 hours away). Oddly, DD's temperment was always great on those trips...she had so much to look at that she didn't have time to be colicky I guess.

I remember DH being so worried on one of the trips in DD's early months because we "wouldn't have the vacuum cleaner with us":rotfl: She was so colicky that she would only sleep with the vacuum on at home:scared1: She slept OK in Disney, though, even on that first trip. Go figure.

I would wait.

You never know what could be going on with a 6 week old (or Mom either).

Of course everyone wants the perfect delivery & angelic baby. But lets face it, lots of things can happen that would make a major trip like Disney World, very hard on all involved.

July is SO hot in Florida. And you are not supposed to use sunscreen on an infant that young.

Disney will be there next year. Enjoy those first few weeks with your newborn & getting used to being a family of 4.

We took our 3rd daughter when she was 9 weeks. She was a breeze, breastfeed, slept whenever, or where she wanted. Stayed in the sling, or bjorn the whole time, she was the easy one out of my 3 that time.
BUT......we went in december, and it was much much cooler, we had one almost 90 degree day, and we were all hot. I totally think you would be fine with a 6 week old, in the cooler weather, but in july, I would even get nervous. Our last trip we went in september, and my kids were 2, 4 and 5, and it was HOT HOT HOT, thank goodness for no lines, or we could of never done it. I think with the heat, and lines, it might be too much for a tiny one.
You could plan lots of time in baby centers, and air conditioning things, but then you are missing out on so much. I think taking a 6 week old is very do-able, but just not in July.
good luck

Thanks for the input. Very valid points, most of which I have been trying to ignore because of my wanting to go, but ones that nonetheless should be heeded. We thought we could handle the heat thing because we are experienced with WDW in July (the only time we can ever go), but I don't know now.

We brought DS when he was 5 weeks old. It was a different kind of trip. Very low key. I carried him in the snuggli and we passed it back and forth with a baby swap for the rough rides and he went on the quiet rides with us. We got a cool photo of him with bug eyes on. I got one of those memory things at Epcot, so that whenever we go back he likes to see the picture of him when he had his first trip to Disney world. I nursed, so we didn't have to deal with formula and stuff. We mostly took it easy. I have fond memories of walking down Main Street with him in the snuggli as we watched the fireworks.
I think it was one of my favorite trips because I had an excuse not to run around (had c-section) so it was the first time I actually was able to relax and enjoy Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter