You know you're getting old when you go to bed before your kids

Klayfish

DIS Veteran
DW and I get up at 4am on weekdays, so we usually get ready for bed around 9pm and are out cold shortly after. Until fairly recently, we always put the kids to bed right before us. Oldest DS is now 12 and likes to stay up later. Even my twins, who are 9, sometimes want to stay up (though usually they're read for bed). So at a minimum, my oldest is now staying up after we go to bed. We tell him to only stay up a few minutes, but somehow I don't think he always listens to that. On the weekends, usually all 3 of them do. Not a big deal, but just weird and feels like a sign of us getting older. Plus, DS will be a teenager in a few months. A teenager... :scared:

I need a nap...

That sounds about right..
I have no idea when the 16 year old goes to bed but its early because he has to catch the school bus at 6:20am
The twins (12) don't get up till 8 because there bus doesn't run till 8:40.. not sure when they eventually doze off but i am long gone by then.. zzzzz

So you're just a few years ahead of me. When my oldest is 16, my twins will be 12 then turn 13. They all go to school with DW, as she works at the school where the twins go (and the middle school is next door). They leave at 7:00am. The twins get up at 5:45am and my oldest gets up at 6:30am.

So you're just a few years ahead of me. When my oldest is 16, my twins will be 12 then turn 13. They all go to school with DW, as she works at the school where the twins go (and the middle school is next door). They leave at 7:00am. The twins get up at 5:45am and my oldest gets up at 6:30am.

Yep, just a few years ahead of you! My twins will turn 13 (in July) a month before my oldest turns 17... Mine only went to the same school for one year.. Elementary - when my oldest was in 5th, the twins were in kindergarten. My oldest will graduate the year before my twins get to High School.. just a year and half away.. time flys. which reminds me, i have to go wake the twins up now to get ready for school!

Last edited:

My daughter is 16 so she's at the age where she's going out for the night and leaving at like 10.30 PM. She's only going to her boyfriends house for a bit but still...I am always saying bye to her from my bed, half asleep lol

My children are night owls so it's been this way for a while. My son sometimes goes to bed after midnight and gets up at 6 am for school. My daughter is 10 and won't fall asleep before 10 pm. She's usually asleep around 11 pm. The rule is they have to be in their room and quiet. I don't care if they are awake. If I hear noise all bets are off.

I even let them sleep until noon on weekends. I paid my dues with a son who woke up by 6 am until he was about 6 or 7. I don't wake sleeping children.

DD (25 and living at home) and I both have to be at work at 3 am, DW at 430 am
DD is the FIRST one to bed, usually by 530 or 6 pm. DW and I usually make it until 715 pm

DW and I get up at 4am on weekdays, so we usually get ready for bed around 9pm and are out cold shortly after. Until fairly recently, we always put the kids to bed right before us. Oldest DS is now 12 and likes to stay up later. Even my twins, who are 9, sometimes want to stay up (though usually they're read for bed). So at a minimum, my oldest is now staying up after we go to bed. We tell him to only stay up a few minutes, but somehow I don't think he always listens to that. On the weekends, usually all 3 of them do. Not a big deal, but just weird and feels like a sign of us getting older. Plus, DS will be a teenager in a few months. A teenager... :scared:

I need a nap...

During the school year my children had to be 'in' bed, lights out by 9pm - and before us - until about age 10, they had to be in bed by 8pm.
Dh & I were usually in bed shortly after, but not by much. We all needed our rest - our days were full.

Weekends were 'open' but we all usually conked out by around 10 - 10:30.

There were exceptions, but this was the 'rule'. Worked for us.

I am the first one in bed in our house. I have no idea what time the kids go to sleep, I haven't for years.
Sad part is I'm not even that old LOL

My kids are 16, 12, and 11(next month) and I can't tell you the last time they went to bed before me. Well, the almost-11 year old does - not that he is sleeping, but at least he's in bed on school-nights before I am.

On weekends and holidays/summer, to be honest, I have no idea when they go to bed or where in the house they sleep. As long as they are quiet and aren't running all over the place (we usually have at least one friend spending the night as well) so that I am not woken up, I don't care.

I have chronic fatigue, so I too am always the first one in bed at our house. The kids go to bed at 9:30 during the week, and then who knows when on the weekend. Hubby is a night own so who knows when he goes to bed. But yeah, I guess it's a sign of me getting older--I just love lounging in bed!

You're not old, you just have an early job!!! We also have to get up at 4AM. Not too many people need to be in bed by 8:30!!:)

My kids are 16, 12, and 11(next month) and I can't tell you the last time they went to bed before me. Well, the almost-11 year old does - not that he is sleeping, but at least he's in bed on school-nights before I am.

On weekends and holidays/summer, to be honest, I have no idea when they go to bed or where in the house they sleep. As long as they are quiet and aren't running all over the place (we usually have at least one friend spending the night as well) so that I am not woken up, I don't care.

My kids are 16 and 10 and this is so us! lol Especially in the summer. I have no idea what time they go to sleep or wake up. Sometimes I find kids asleep in weird places before I go to work. As long as I'm not woken up, the house is half way decent and chores are done when I get home from work I don't care. Actually this morning I found DD sleeping in DS's bed. I don't care as long as everyone is quiet.

During the school year my children had to be 'in' bed, lights out by 9pm - and before us - until about age 10, they had to be in bed by 8pm.
Dh & I were usually in bed shortly after, but not by much. We all needed our rest - our days were full.

Weekends were 'open' but we all usually conked out by around 10 - 10:30.

There were exceptions, but this was the 'rule'. Worked for us.

This is us exactly. We had the kids lights out at 9pm and we followed them almost right away. But now that DS is 12 going on 13, obviously that just doesn't work anymore. On weekends, my wife and I can make it to 10:30pm, but that's about it. Like you, our days are ridiculously full. During sports season, we're on the go non-stop from 4am until 9pm, so there's a reason we're tired. But it's still a bit of a "milestone" when your kids stay up later than you, I guess.

This is one of the main reasons that we still get 1 bedroom/2 beds at Disney! - DH loves getting back from supper, having a shower and falling asleep when our boys do (usually around 8pm if we haven't stayed for fireworks etc).
I stay up and read but am usually out by around 9!
We get more sleep during our 2 week Disney trip than in most months I think!!

Yep all my kids stay up later then me except my youngest on school nights. She's 10 and and in bed by 10:00 on school nights but weekends she's up way past midnight and my older 2 are teens so they just go to bed whenever. It's not unusual for there to be multiple kids and friends awake at 4:00 am on weekends and bodies asleep all over the house at noon.

Last edited:
You know you're really getting old when you used to go to bed way before your teenage/college age kids but now as they head closer towards their 30s (and beyond)....they're going to bed around the same time you are as they all have day jobs!!! :teeth:

My daughter is never asleep before me- when she was little she was in grade school and she would go to bed around 10, it worked fine for us. She never needed all that much sleep, even as a toddler she would go to sleep when I did and wake up when I got up. I worked full time so there was no way I wanted to come home and only get to spend a couple hours with her and put her to bed, I wanted to spend as much as I could with her. On weekend and breaks and summers there was never a bedtime, once she hit high school she would be up until 3am and sleep until noon weekends and breaks. And when she fell asleep as a toddler she could sleep through anything. We were on the deck on the Disney cruise and the band was playing and fireworks were going off, people were yelling and she was sound asleep in the stroller. When she goes out now I tell her to just wake me up when she gets home so I know she is in because no way can I stay up that late anymore- when they go to concerts in the city its almost 3am by the time they get home, I am to old for that LOL.

My son usually heads to his room around 10, but by 9:30 I'm already flipping the lights off and ready for bed!

My kids (13 and 10) were in their rooms and quiet at 8 pm for years and years. Now my teen is usually still doing homework then. We make the 10 year old go to his room around 8. But I have no clue when he falls asleep. I think my teen is up past midnight. I'm out cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter