"You invited the INLAWS on your 1st Anniversary trip!?" - Oct. 2010 PTR

I promise I'll get back to the plans soon...but there isn't a whole lot new on that front just yet. I'm still finalizing dining reservations and park plans. As soon as I have something more on that I'll post it!

In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to explain how my husband didn't become Disney-addicted until just last year. When I planned our trip for April '09, I couldn't have planned a more magical...and crazy...trip.

So, I've shown you this photo already, but what I didn't explain was that this photo was actually taken before Preston had decided what he thought of Disney.

712107851_zt7Sm-M.jpg

Obviously he was excited. But in the months leading up to this trip I was increasingly worried that my husband was going to hate Disney. Preston had never visited a Disney park in his 30+ years and his favorite places up until this point included the Texas State Fair, Six Flags Over Texas, and Silver Dollar City. While there is nothing at all wrong with this, you all know that there is no way you can compare these places to Disney. He even made a comment that Disney was "just for kids". :scared1:

So, I was sick with worry and on our first day there I decided I had to take him to Magic Kingdom. It's not my favorite (though it's like trying to choose between chocolate cake and brownies) but I knew he would feel the magic there if he was going to feel it anywhere. First up we headed to Pirates. See, the organization that puts on the local Renaissance Faire also puts on a Pirate Festival. We're a bit partial to Pirates. pirate:

712108887_TRW7s-M.jpg

I spent the ride pointing things out to him that had changed from the original and he had fun seeing what he could pick out from the movies. After finishing the ride we headed back out into the sun and look who we ran into!

712109822_vZRdZ-M.jpg

712111735_ceybL-M.jpg

Preston was fascinated with the pirate training. I had told him about the Jedi version of this and we had actually done something slightly similar on a couple of occasions at several Ren Faire/Pirate Fest events. We both watched in awe with how they managed to control the kids. Every time we've tried something like this it dissolves into a bunch of kids whacking us with foam swords! :rotfl:

712110414_FVpDk-M.jpg

After this we headed toward the castle. He had seen it when we came in, but I needed photos!

712116297_8SHPX-M.jpg

And a nice person offered to take a photo of the two of us together.

961587646_4vo7x-M.jpg

Of course, that's probably because he felt sorry for us as we were trying to do one of those hold-the-camera-at-arm's-length-and-smile shots...several times. They weren't turning out bad...but we couldn't manage to get the castle in the shot! :laughing:

961585034_kEEzd-M.jpg

As the night wore on, we were in Fantasy Land and I saw that there was no wait for the Carousel. I couldn't help myself and convinced him to ride with me. Little did I know that he would find "his" horse there.

As you can see in the earlier photos, Preston is a jouster. Every jouster has two main colors from his coat of arms that he jousts in. Preston's are green and gold. Now, this gets humorous at times because he's constantly pointing out things that are painted green and gold/yellow. Obviously he's a fan of John Deere's color scheme. But he's been known to point out cars, billboards, and even fire hydrants! :laughing:

So, as we're waiting for the Carousel to come to a stop so that we can ride...he sees it. His horse. The one in the fancy green and gold trappings. And of course, he has to ride it!

It took us a couple of rides (there were people that got to it before we could at least once) but we got his picture on his horse. And I'm happy that I'll never have to beg and plead to get him to ride the Carousel. All I have to say is "Hey sweetie, wanna go take a ride on your horse?". :upsidedow

961588804_2G3sd-M.jpg

After a long night (I'm pretty sure it was an EMH night) I dragged a happy husband back to the hotel. He was starting to see what I saw in Disney. The seed had been planted...what would it take to grow?

Up Next: The Addiction Explained - Part 2

What a great update on your introducting Preston to Disney World. I love the horse story and that you had to ride a couple of times "before" he could get on his horse. I can't wait to see how the seed grows. ;)

What a great update on your introducting Preston to Disney World. I love the horse story and that you had to ride a couple of times "before" he could get on his horse. I can't wait to see how the seed grows. ;)

Thanks! :) I'll have more soon.

Have to share this awesome update though...I just managed a lunch reservation at Le Cellier for all 6 of us on the perfect day! I have no idea how I happened to be so lucky. I think I'll buy a lottery ticket on my way home. Heh.

I wasn't going to be heartbroken if we didn't get in this trip (plenty of other great places to eat) so I wasn't obsessively checking. And since we decided on the trip far after the 180 day mark (when did this happen? seriously! I was operating on the 90 day schedule. heh) AND it was free dining time, I figured there was no way I was going to get an ADR for 6 people.

I had to go make some changes today though (which I'll update on later) and decided to check our days. It popped up on the day we're doing a 1/2 day at Epcot and MNSSHP in the evening. PERFECT. And I snagged it. And did a little victory dance. :) Can't wait to introduce my newbies to Le Cellier.

Hi! I followed you over here from your funny post on hucifer's TR...yep, that's all it takes for me. One funny post, and I'm there. :goodvibes

I'm so jealous that your DH loves Disney! Mine has never been, and I think he's bound and determined not to like it (though he admits to loving "designed environments"...and is there such thing as a more designed environment than Disney?). So I'm waiting until we have kids to drag him there. But you're giving me hope...maybe he could love Disney, too? I mean, we did go see Step Up 3D yesterday, and he said (seriously) it was "magical" -- that's a good sign, right? :rotfl:

And hey, I'm going to be at CSR in October, too! But only for a night (before moving to the Poly), and not until later in the month. I can't wait for F&W and MNSSHP! :cool1:

This gives me hope. You have been reading what I have been going through and I'm all teary eyed seeing your husband have fun at Disney! I am dying to hear what happened next. I'm still having nightmares about Disney going wrong and my husband hating me for promising him a magical time and not following through.

Hi! I followed you over here from your funny post on hucifer's TR...yep, that's all it takes for me. One funny post, and I'm there. :goodvibes

Oh man. The pressure! Now I have to be funny all the time! I can't take this!

Ehem. I mean...WELCOME! Hope you enjoy! ;)

I'm so jealous that your DH loves Disney! Mine has never been, and I think he's bound and determined not to like it (though he admits to loving "designed environments"...and is there such thing as a more designed environment than Disney?). So I'm waiting until we have kids to drag him there. But you're giving me hope...maybe he could love Disney, too? I mean, we did go see Step Up 3D yesterday, and he said (seriously) it was "magical" -- that's a good sign, right? :rotfl:

I agree, there are no better designed environment than Disney! And I'm not sure what his reaction to Step Up actually means...but I'm going with you on that it has to be a good sign! :rotfl:

This gives me hope. You have been reading what I have been going through and I'm all teary eyed seeing your husband have fun at Disney! I am dying to hear what happened next. I'm still having nightmares about Disney going wrong and my husband hating me for promising him a magical time and not following through.

Aww! :hug: I'll post the next one here soon. I totally understand the nightmares. I had to stop talking to my husband about it before we went. He just couldn't understand why I was so excited.

But now...it's different. Today he texted me to say that he kept unpacking Disney Guides (he works in a bookstore) and it was making him totally excited. :banana:

So. First of all, I'll be totally honest with you guys. I don't remember the order that the following events actually took place in.

Hi, my name is Tracie and I have memory issues. And no concept of the passing of time. Don't hold it against me ok? I promise I'll take notes next time. :)

Anyway. These two events are similar, so I'll include them together. It might also be because I only have photos of one of them. No no, it wasn't because I was irresponsible with the camera. Here:

One of our mornings there (no idea which one; see above statement) we headed to HS. Man I still have to think about that one before typing. Still want to call it MGM. Anywho, I'm sure we grabbed a fast pass for Toy Story before deciding what else to do and eventually we ended up at the Back Lot. We walked in to find the line only a couple people deep. When the CM came out to ask for volunteers I could actually hear her. She stated she was still looking for two people and I didn't even bother moving. Every time I've been there people have practically stampeded each other to get the attention of the volunteer-seeking CM. Imagine my shock as she made her announcement and no...one...moved.

*crickets*

I don't know if these people had been traumatized by some other audience participation or what, but I saw my opening and my hand shot up. I was pointing at Preston. She saw me and I said "He'll volunteer!". Unsurprisingly she said "You can't volunteer someone else!". I tried explaining that "really! He'll love it! You don't understand, he loves to be on stage!" until she finally shut me up with "But I need TWO people. So come on!".

Oh. Right. Ok, sure why not. My family had honestly been trying to volunteer for the "Filming Pearl Harbor" pre-show for years. YEARS! And here it's Preston's first time and BOTH of us get picked. Of course, the only bad part of this story is that there was no one to take photos of us in our big debut.

Long story short, I played an excellent Captain (I've had practice) and he played a perfect Goofy Deckhand (he's had practice). I was a little surprised we weren't offered a reoccurring role. But whatever. He walked on air for the rest of the day. Magical Memory #2 down.

This next one I have pictures of. Some afternoon (no idea which one and by now you should not be surprised by this) we headed to Epcot. We wandered into Great Britain just as these guys were getting started:

712133569_NPewJ-M.jpg

Those wacky street players were telling the story of King Arthur and the search for the Holy Grail. We pulled up a curb and got comfortable. As soon as they stated they needed audience participants I KNEW what was coming. Can you guess?

712132516_7Kpni-M.jpg

That's right! A knight playing a knight. Oh the irony! Anyway, with the role of Sir Galahad secured (they must have heard about his star performance at HS) he waited for the rest of the cast to be assembled. And with that, our story begins.

Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad were chilling out at the castle one day.

712135755_hW5w9-M.jpg

King Arthur had lost his drinking mug and needed a new one! So he sent Sir L and Sir G out to find him one. I'm pretty sure he asked for something "pretty and magical". So Sir G hopped on his horse...

712136263_n5A63-M.jpg

...and he and Sir L rode across the land in search of a fancy magical cup.

712131591_tCji8-M.jpg

There may have been some sort of evil witch or dragon or something, but Sir L and Sir G dispatched her/it so quickly that I never got a photo of it. What I did get was the celebration.

Sir G danced...

712132869_Dj5fZ-M.jpg

...and did the limbo...

712135162_QGSer-M.jpg

(don't ask, I have no idea)

...and danced until he shocked even Sir Lancelot.

712134361_Ju4dZ-M.jpg

Eventually they got around to presenting the surprisingly not fancy, not very magical looking, chalice to King Arthur.

712137142_UwBgw-M.jpg

And King Arthur was so thirsty at this point he didn't care that it wasn't fancy or magical. And after a little celebratory dance from Sir L and Sir G...

712137574_iTiEp-M.jpg

...everyone lived happily ever after! Or, King Arthur didn't die of dehydration and Camelot was safe for another day. Something like that. *if you haven't figured out by now that I have no recollection of how the story actually went, you need to pay closer attention!

Once again, he was walking on air. Though, for a short time he thought he could govern Camelot better than King Arthur.

712138334_vud7b-M.jpg

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It's a silly place."

Magical Memory #3 - check!

At this point I was pretty impressed at the special things he had been able to do. And we're not done yet folks.

Up Next! The Addiction Explained - Part 3

I love both of these -- how wonderful for Preston and what a way to introduce the Disney magic. For years and years, our boys tried to get their dad picked for "anything." The first year our oldest son, Andy, goes without us (he coaches a travel baseball team and took them to play in a tournament over 4th of July last year), he gets picked. He too was picked to participate in the Backlot pre-show. The kids, 13 year olds, all kept pointing to Andy and, sure enough, he was picked. They got it on videotape and it was a hoot. Can't wait for Part 3.

Anyone still around? Hello!hello!hello!

Huh. Empty around here. That's ok. I understand. I abandoned you all for two weeks. TWO WEEKS! How is it, you ask, that I could forget about my Disney trip for two weeks?

Let me tell you friends...I had an amazing experience last week. I got to hang out in Atlanta with some of my most favorite TV actors. It's a long story (and one that most probably don't even want to hear) but I'll just tell you that the opportunity fell into my lap at the last minute and I took it. I handled a well known celebrity at a convention and got to hang out with another that I've also been a huge fan of for years. So, I've been a bit distracted the last couple of weeks.

ANYWAY. I'm back and I will get caught up with all those I've been following soon. In the meantime, I'm going to finish up this Addiction Series. I have two more events to tell you about.

First up we have a tale of childhood dreams come true. We had been at the World for several days at this point and it was our second day in MK. In the afternoon I decided to drag him onto the train. Lucky for me...he likes trains. Or maybe that's why I decided to take him. Whatever.

We got in line for the train as they were loading, were waved through the gate, and pointed to the rear of the train after being told there were a couple of available seats. After heading back there we found out that the "open seats" were in actuality being held for a mom on her way back from somewhere and they hadn't seen the child laying across the seat waiting for her to return. So we headed back to the line area and told the conductors what had happened. They apologetically told us we would have to wait behind the gates for the next train and we told them it was no problem at all and that we had no issues with waiting.

A few moments later a conductor came over to us and said "How would you two like to be our guest conductors?". I looked at him. He looked at me. And of course, with huge grins, we said "SURE!". I whispered to Preston on the way in "I didn't even know they DID this!". We were directed to the very back of the train and stood on a little platform that hangs off the caboose.

961591358_jiwF7-M.jpg

As we prepared for departure, the conductor that joined us in the back explained that we were going to give the "All Aboard!". I've never seen Preston's face light up like that. They announced us as guest conductors and then he let me go first. I did a short little "all aboard" that probably ended in a giggle. He then handed the mic to Preston. Everyone on board the train was treated to a long and dramatic "Aaaaaaaaall AboARD!". He then explained to the conductor and I that it had been a dream of his since he was a child to get to do that very thing on a train.

We managed a picture of me with the conductor but not one with him. :sad2: I'm a terrible wife. Well, fiance at the time. But whatever.

961590673_4j7UD-M.jpg

So. Our second, and final, tale is one of crazy shenanigans. I've mentioned here before that we had dinner at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. And I may have mentioned that when the reservations were made, I was concerned Preston would hate it. I just didn't know how he would react to being messed with while trying to eat.

We arrived with a smaller party than we should have. It was supposed to have been my Mom and Stepfather's anniversary dinner but mom ended up getting sick and they went home early. (whole other story) So it was Preston and I and my brother and his girlfriend. After I explained our situation again (I had been there earlier in the day to explain) they told us to have a seat and Uncle Frank would call us when dinner was ready. We got a drink and sat in front of the TV for a few until we heard "OurLastName Kids!" Without a missed beat, all four of us hollered back "WHAT?!". People turned around to look at us but Uncle Frank didn't even hesitate. He shouted "Dinner's ready!" and we all responded with variations of "Aww, but we were watching that show!" and whined all the way to the table. He seated us and told us to mind our manners and went on his way.

Our server was ok but not terribly outgoing. We had a good laugh at the kid at the next table that had his nose stuck to the wall and then had to sing "I'm a little teapot" for a later transgression. A couple of times the manager walked by (we called him "Dad" but his name was Eric) and tried to catch us with our elbows on the table. We laughed and played along and then got a little distracted talking to each other. Suddenly, Eric showed up at Preston's shoulder with a squeeze bottle of ketchup and Preston turned to tell him "no thanks, we already have some". As he did so, he removed his elbows from the table. Yep. REMOVED his elbows from the table. As he did so, Eric laid down three nice and neat lines of ketchup on the table right in front of him and said "Lets see you put your elbows on the table NOW skippy!". Preston's shocked expression was priceless and we couldn't stop laughing.

961586170_tmRcj-M.jpg

Our server started laughing as he walked by and in a moment of poor judgment, Preston shouted out "Laugh all you want, YOU'RE the one that has to clean it up!". Sure enough, a few minutes later here comes Eric with a stack of napkins. Preston cleaned up his mess and still had a couple left and he just couldn't resist the crayons. After a few minutes he had a hilarious portrait of poor Eric, whom we also called Mr. Clean because of his bald head.

I get the brilliant idea that it should go up on the fridge, cause that's where all kids' artwork belongs, and ask the server if they have any magnets. No magnets but he gets us a piece of tape and takes Preston over to the fridge to stick it up.

961586878_Jyadb-M.jpg

Just as he does, Eric walks up and shakes his hand. He tells Preston how fun it's been and thanks him for being such a good sport. Get this...he doesn't even see the portrait of himself hanging on the fridge! Preston came back to the table and tells us what happens and as he finishes here comes a "mad" Eric storming over to the table. He grumbles and gruffs at Preston and makes a few "improvements" (muscles for him, adding "skippy", etc.) before we all laugh hysterically.

And that is the story of this photo.

712106620_PCKE3-M.jpg

So there you have it. Those are the main reasons I have a Disney addicted husband now. There were other small bits of magic that happened along the way but I certainly don't want to bore you to death.

Next up: Revised October Plans!

Tracie, I am still here, girlfriend. I love your stories. You and Preston received more pixie dust and Disney magic than some people have after five or ten visits. I'm so happy that Preston is now Disney addicted.

I can't wait for the next update...let's just do it before I leave next week though, please. ;)

I was behind but I'm still here and now I'm all caught up!

I LOVE Preston's Journey into Disney Addiction! :rotfl2: Such perfectly magical Disney stories! That one from 50's is GREAT! It will only be me and my BF when we go for the first time this October, but I hope we have just as good of an experience!

And congrats on getting that Le Cellier ADR! :woohoo: I'm considering eating there sometime in the future but my BF has not expressed an interest yet so I haven't made myself crazy about it. I remember we tried to do a walk-up there :scared1: back in 2006 and were shocked when they turned us away! That was before I knew about ADRs! Maybe one of these trips we'll get there!

What great stories! I'm so happy for you, that WDW magic, luck, and theatrical inclinations have combined to lead your DH so deeply into the addiction! :lmao: I can only cross my fingers that when I finally manage to drag my DH there, we'll have similar good fortune!

We're back from our trip (and I have a TR going if you are interested), and I know yours is just around the corner. I'm sure you and Preston are getting very excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter