"You can only pick one."

Ohana dinner is my vote also. We did Ohana breakfast and did not think it was anything to write home about. Food was basic and service was slow. I think a character buffet is a better value because at least there is more food variety and you can replenish your own plate when you want to.

What time of year are you going? Spirit of Aloha can be canceled if the temp drops below 55 degrees - happened to us in late March one year. I suspect the same is true about the Backyard BBQ. But on the flipside, I'm not sure want to attend either of those in the summer heat either.

Ohana dinner is my vote also. We did Ohana breakfast and did not think it was anything to write home about. Food was basic and service was slow. I think a character buffet is a better value because at least there is more food variety and you can replenish your own plate when you want to.

What time of year are you going? Spirit of Aloha can be canceled if the temp drops below 55 degrees - happened to us in late March one year. I suspect the same is true about the Backyard BBQ. But on the flipside, I'm not sure want to attend either of those in the summer heat either.

We're going late Feb 24-Mar2,2018 (tentative dates). We were considering doing Mickey Backyard BBQ on arrival night this year but our plans changed right as we were going to book.

There's 4 adults and my 3yr nephew. We're trying to do character dinners/breakfasts that he would love. I think (technically since we all get one) my nephew's pick is Ohana breakfast and I wanted to do the backyard BBQ for him but if the food is no good then never mind lol. The dinner show at Poly was actually eliminated by my family! They said unless you pay for all of us, we aren't going! Haha. I have a few other places in mind so I'll ask them seperately.

See post above.

Ohana breakfast is picked my my newphew.
Mickey's Backyard BBQ is weather dependent (so that's out).
And Spirit of Aloha my family said absolutely not.

Here are my back ups:
-Tucker House breakfast
-BOG dinner only
-Sci Fi Dine In Theater

Thoughts?

See post above.

Here are my back ups:
-Tucker House breakfast
-BOG dinner only
-Sci Fi Dine In Theater

Thoughts?

IMO all of your back-ups are better than Ohana breakfast. I think Tusker House breakfast and Ohana breakfast are similar price points, but you get three times as many food options and more characters at Tusker House. It's also one of our favorite meals and the themeing at the restaurant is awesome as well. Sci Fi is also really unique. Something you can only do at Disney.

Do not go late or 'Ohana Dinner
We had a late dinner ADR - my DH tried to get a cup of coffee with our dessert
Never happened.
DH had to go without his coffee. Not a happy camper

look at the thread rating the restaurants.
but since I have to choose (price notwithstanding) Ohana breakfast.
Characters, all you can eat, juice is amazing.

you've all probably heard that beforehand when trying to plan Disney vacations. We are heading down to Disney with family and each family gets to pick one restaurant we all eat at together. There's 5 of us.

I've narrowed down my choices to these few. I want to see what you all think. And reviews! Tell me how you've like the food because these three I've never been to!

-Ohana - breakfast or dinner
-Mickey's Backyard BBQ
-Spirit of Aloha

O'hana for dinner no doubt. Second place O'hana for breakfast. I've heard plenty of disappointing reviews of both the Backyard BBQ and Spirit of Aloha. If you were gonna try for Hoop Dee Doo Review that might change things.

See post above.

Here are my back ups:
-Tucker House breakfast
-BOG dinner only
-Sci Fi Dine In Theater

Thoughts?

Your backups are all better choices than your original list. Tusker House and BOG are solid choices. One thing to note about Sci Fi Dine In is that they run continuous loops of science fiction clips. Is your nephew going to be OK (i.e., not scared) with this? Also, I believe that the "tables" at Sci Fi are actually mock-ups of cars, and you sit with 2 folks in the front seat and 2 folks in the back seat, all facing the movie screen. Will this work for you guys? (I might be incorrect on this- if so, someone will correct me).

Your backups are all better choices than your original list. Tusker House and BOG are solid choices. One thing to note about Sci Fi Dine In is that they run continuous loops of science fiction clips. Is your nephew going to be OK (i.e., not scared) with this? Also, I believe that the "tables" at Sci Fi are actually mock-ups of cars, and you sit with 2 folks in the front seat and 2 folks in the back seat, all facing the movie screen. Will this work for you guys? (I might be incorrect on this- if so, someone will correct me).

Oh yes he loves watching the tv (movies, tv shows, commercial, iPad movies, etc.) I don't think he will be scared. The seating shouldn't be an issue as long as they give us a car to ourselves. There 4 adults plus my nephew and my nephew doesn't sit still! I don't know if another family or couple will want a 3.5 crawling around their table.. haha

I'd go Ohana dinner. The breakfast there is meh and expensive for meh. The Luau is not a great meal and also expensive for not a great meal. Never done the backyard BBQ but never really peaked my interest. We have done Ohana dinner about seven times and the last visit, in May, was awesome. We have had some not so stellar visits.

We do the everyone pick a place sometimes. We just did for our NYE trip. But sometimes bossy family members talk us into their way. One DD wanted to do all new places so her, DH and I complied. She chose Kona and DH chose Boathouse and I chose Crystal Palace. Other DD stuck to her guns and chose one of our frequent fliers, Cape May, which is one I could skip. And for the fifth, on NYE, I went with DDs plan of a new venue and we want to be at Epcot so I booked Nine Dragons....would rather La Hacienda but it's only open for a special party that costs like $280pp.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter