Yea or Nea...? Subway vs. Monorail

It's all above ground since the renovation, but I believe there was a time when it was partially sub-terranean. There's a guy around here with all kinds of maps and areal photos. He might have some more detailed info.

Maps?

Why did it have to be MAPS?

Indy.jpg

I vote NAY. Part of the fun of the monorail is the approach to MK and seeing the castle or the ride around SE as you approach the station. Seeing the look on my children's faces are priceless.

Maps?

Why did it have to be MAPS?

Indy.jpg

Speaking of Robo and maps
(kind of going to hijack here for a minute)
We were at the Pirate and Princess Party last week, and sat in what I thought was going to be a great spot for the fireworks very last minute as we were held up on a ride and didn't get to the hub as early as I would have liked. As soon as they started, I realized I was blocked by a tree - you know, that tree that you warn people about all the time? So I don't know if you're flattered or frightened that you actually crossed my mind on vacation, but I found myself thinking - Oh, that's the tree Robo was talking about. Then I mentally pictured your map and moved to a great spot to watch the pirates storm the castle. Thanks!

Nea.. how sad would it be to not be able to see the parks from above?

i'd say if i there wasn't the boggy soil or risk of filling up with water, i would have a subway system for AK and MGM or just the monorail system

We were at the Pirate and Princess Party last week, and sat in what I thought was going to be a great spot for the fireworks very last minute as we were held up on a ride and didn't get to the hub as early as I would have liked. As soon as they started, I realized I was blocked by a tree - you know, that tree that you warn people about all the time? So I don't know if you're flattered or frightened that you actually crossed my mind on vacation, but I found myself thinking - Oh, that's the tree Robo was talking about. Then I mentally pictured your map and moved to a great spot to watch the pirates storm the castle. Thanks!

Those "invisible" trees have ruined many a view, I'm afraid.

I think it's nice to be thought of at WDW for just about any reason. :)

Thanks for letting me know.
:thumbsup2

what tree is that?

what tree is that?

The "sweet-spot" for Wishes is Main Street and the Hub.
A good spot is near the "Hub-end" of the bridge between the Hub and Tomorrowland.
And over on the same side of the street as CP, along the area with the umbrella tables for Casey's restaurant.
These spots are where the show is "centered" and designed to offer ALL effects.
And that's where MOST people try to see it.

But...
Many view it from near the dock for the paddle-wheel Steam Ship in Liberty Square.
Some watch from the bridge that links the main Frontierland street to Splash Mountain.
Some find spots to sit in other areas of Liberty Square and Frontierland.
All of these areas offer a good view of many/most of the effects, but not all... and certainly not in the "foreground-background/dual-layer" manner in which the show is created.

I will tell you where NOT to view it.
No matter how TEMPTING it may appear before the show:
Do NOT stand on the sidewalk between the Hub and Frontierland,
or on the sidewalk between the Hub and Adventureland.
Trees nearly totally obscure the main larger fireworks
, and the audio is (most-likely INTENTIONALLY) MISSING (no speakers) in these areas.

Also, the upper level of the Main Street train station (a great place to see the "SpectroMagic" Parade) is a tempting but BAD choice for "Wishes".
They DON'T turn off the LIGHTS on the last few buildings on this end of Main Street (or on the train platform) during the show, so the lights are in your eyes the whole time.

Another "ought-to-be-GREAT-but-ISN'T choice is from the "Noodle Station" seating area (the open-air counter-service restaurant that's between Main Street and Tomorrowland).
Not only do they NOT turn off the lights here (and the sound is not clear), most of the fireworks are hidden from view by the roof of the restaurant and/or the large PYLON that's on the bridge to Tomorrowland.
(I will say that there ARE a very few spots in this restaurant area that DO offer GOOD unobstructed views, but you MUST be in those exact spots and not mind the ceiling lights being on and the lack of good sound.)

Below is a rough estimate of the Fireworks viewing spots
based on other posters' info on the boards and personal experience.

MK-Wishes_BE_4-14.jpg

If they did it underground they could do it like the old 20,000 Leagues ride. I'm all for that.

But it could lead to a slow agonizing death by drowning.

Another "ought-to-be-GREAT-but-ISN'T choice is from the "Noodle Station" seating area (the open-air counter-service restaurant that's between Main Street and Tomorrowland).
Not only do they NOT turn off the lights here (and the sound is not clear), most of the fireworks are hidden from view by the roof of the restaurant and/or the large PYLON that's on the bridge to Tomorrowland.
(I will say that there ARE a very few spots in this restaurant area that DO offer GOOD unobstructed views, but you MUST be in those exact spots and not mind the ceiling lights being on and the lack of good sound.)

these spots are very exact only constitute about 9 seats, finding them is an 800 level course best reserved for the pros.

A good spot is near the "Hub-end" of the bridge between the Hub and Tomorrowland.

I want to clarify something about this particular spot. I watched wishes from there on May 7th and found that you pretty much have to be right at the end of the bridge to have a clear view. There is a fairly large area just onto the bridge "near the Hub-end" that is significantly obscured by trees. Maybe those trees have grown since you last watched from there? In any case, they weren't in our way because we got there early enough.

We were with our 3.5yo daughter so I figured we'd go for the Tinkerbell angle. When we picked out our spot, my wife asked me why we wanted to be right there. I pointed to the wire and she said, "oh, cool." I replied, "Robo's the man." :thumbsup2

The water table is so high here in South Louisiana, we can't even bury our dead, our cemetaries are above ground. You can be buried below the surface but have to have a huge concrete cap on your vault to keep you from floating up.

Sorry so morbid, just trying to point out how high the water table is here.

So having a subterainean system is a no go.

Even if there were no water table issues, the cost would probably be a huge issue. There is probably a cost issue linked with why most of WDW is now linked by bus and not by monorail. Why build double the infrastructure needed when it still al works?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter