Yea or Nea...? Subway vs. Monorail

agame2323

DIS Veteran
The Monorail should have been built underground instead of overhead.

Transportation to the parks and resorts would work like a subway system (for those of us who have been in a subway). Guest would be kept out of the heat and rain as they would be stationed in an underground transporation dock. Good idea?

Yea or Nea?

I would have to say a big nea. I live in New York and hate the subway. Being underground and feeling so claustrophobic. I LOVE the views from the monorail! It would not be enjoyable at all underground!

While in practicality, that does make sense, I think one of the charms of the monorail is the view. I've been on the Atlanta and DC subway systems and when you are underground, you have nothing to look at except your fellow passengers. Pretty boring.

But at Disney World, you can see and experience things before you even get there. I'm thinking about getting an underground subway at the TTC and then having the next stop at the Polynesian. You wouldn't get to see how beautiful that resort is. Or see the Wedding Pavilion or the Grand Floridian. Or see the Magic Kingdom getting closer and closer and closer. You'd miss going into the Contemporary.

And who would want to miss the entire loop around Future World before you get to the Epcot monorail station?

Quite honestly, if you don't want to be out in the rain and the heat, don't go to Florida. Actually, don't even go outside your front door.

No.

If they built the mono rail as a subway, they may as well build submarines instead. ;)

The water table in Florida is much too high to have it be feasible. :goodvibes

Sorry, not in FLORIDA!

In the sandy/boggy soil, the tunnels could collapse and/or fill with water! :scared1:

Very true. You go much deeper than 4 - 5 feet, if that much, and you run the risk of water problems.

No way! I love the monorails and can't stand the T (what the subway in Boston is called). I love just riding the Epcot line and seeing everything.

The high water table is exactly why the MK is built UP - they piled something like 30 feet of earth up to build the MK so that the tunnels underneath it would be above the water table, so when you are on Main Street USA you are actually already 1 or 2 stories above the "real" ground.

Underground monorails would never work. No place in Florida has subways, very few homes can have basements, tornado shelters, etc. We do have wells, though, plenty of wells and springs and swimming holes. :)

I would have to say a big nea. I live in New York and hate the subway. Being underground and feeling so claustrophobic. I LOVE the views from the monorail! It would not be enjoyable at all underground!

I have to agree...I'm picturing the 6 train after a Yankee game (where there is absolutely no such thing as personal space) and adding in the Florida heat and theme park sweat, no windows/no outside light...:faint:

Sorry I'm gonna say Nea. My whole family loves to look out the windows and see all the resorts, Space Mountain and Cinderall Castle; gets us so excited.

T.

A big nea. It would flood and would be too hot down there. I love riding the monorail from above and see all the things along the way.

Nea. I love being able to look out the windows. And I hated being underground the one time I went on the subway. Too claustrophobic.

I'd have to be a "nay" too.....I will never forget the bus trip to (sorry we didn't do the monorail, but I would imagine this aspect might be the same) to Magic Kingdom on Sunday morning (we arrived on Saturday) and when the castle came into view, all the children just squeeled with delight, including my own DD....it was a priceless moment and if we had to travel underground, we would have missed out on that and other beautiful views!!!

Does the unanimous ride underground or above??

It's all above ground since the renovation, but I believe there was a time when it was partially sub-terranean. There's a guy around here with all kinds of maps and areal photos. He might have some more detailed info.

Southern states don’t have basements for a reason; things can not be built underground. Heck, WDW is raised up over the ground because of soil and sea level issues. Besides, riding in the air is kind of cool—what a view!!

Now, what I would like to see is a light rail system instead of the bus system, or in addition to the bus system. Light rail is basically a street level subway system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter