WWYD? Injured while at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ice pack? really? I'm a CM at WOD NYC and we have first aid kits on pretty much every level, chock full of ice packs, band-aids, anti bacterial wipes etc. I'm really surprised they seemed to not care and I'm sorry you had to deal with such an experience!

I'd be a little more careful next time and buy a good pair of shoes. Maybe you should be mad at croc's for making an unsafe shoe. This is not the first time that I have heard of people being hurt while wearing a shoe made by croc.:mad:

In the Op's defense. I do not think she is trying to blame disney. She is a little concerned over the lack of CM response.

I think somehow the CM's are "Trained" to not repsond as it may suggest fault and Disney could be sued. I'm sure they get sued all the time so they need to "CYA" so to speak

First off, you should go to the doctor and have it looked at. Secondly, I think you should just deal with through your insurance company at this point.

On our last trip, DS fell at the BWV pool and broke off half of his front tooth (his permanent tooth). The lifeguards did walk over to see if he needed medical attention, but really there wasn't much they could do. We called our dentist to see if he needed immediate dental care and we determined it could wait until we got back home. So, now my DS has half of a fake tooth. Personally, I felt it was our responsibility not Disney's . It was an accident.

I would go to the doctor and have my ankle examined. To be honest, this truly has nothing to do with Disney...there certianly isn't any fault to be place upon them. Sure, the CM's response (or lack thereof) was a bummer, but it is what it is. Disappointing, nothing more. I cannot even fathom contacting Disney about this.....I'd simply go to the doctor and get myself healed.

Maybe you should be mad at croc's for making an unsafe shoe. This is not the first time that I have heard of people being hurt while wearing a shoe made by croc.

No kidding! I have seen a number of people who have tripped and gotten hurt while wearing these shoes. Throw your Crocs in the trash and see your doctor.

My opinion - for what its worth. I think you need to email/write to Disney and explaine about the CM's not helping and their genuine lack of caring for a guest. I think Disney needs to make sure their CMs are trained on how to help guests and they shouldn't have left you standing there in pain when it was obvious you were hurt. However, I don't think you should be looking for any type of compensation, as accidents happen, etc. I also think you should go get it looked at to verify nothing is broken - sometimes those tiny hairline fractures can be quite painful!

As an FYI, I slipped on the wet bathroom floor in Epcot and tore my hamstring in 2006. I had to go for months of physical therapy. There wasn't anyone around in the rest room when I fell - so no one at Disney ever really knew (except my family who for the rest of the trip had to help me around). At the time, it never entered my mind to tell anyone, but now looking back, I should have warned the CMs about the slippery wet floor so that no one else got hurt.

I hope your foot gets better quickly!

Disney does train all the cast members about the safety of guests. In fact, SafeD begins with me is actually the main concern and even printed on ID cards.
That being said, when my youngest was a toddler he was walking outside of Buzz Lighyear and his little foot got caught in a small hole on the cement and he fell face first into the ground and was bleeding from the mouth.
Two cast members came up and helped me, asking if we wanted medical attention. I was foolish into not looking at his teeth closer and said No and we went to get some water.
Two days later we noticed the front tooth was cracked! Since I didn't bother to file any report AT THE TIME OF INCIDENT, I ended up taking him to a pediatric dentist on my own nickel. (Insurance doesn't pay to cap a baby tooth we found out :rolleyes: so the dentist ended up pulling it out so he would'nt further damage his mouth on the broken tooth.

Accidents happen and sometimes it doesn't end up the way you hope, so you just deal with it as best you can.

In the Op's defense. I do not think she is trying to blame disney. She is a little concerned over the lack of CM response.

No I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear initially! I don't intend on "suing" Disney or holding them (or Crocs) responsible for my fall. Yes the crack in the concrete was much larger than it should have been (DH was previously in construction and knows these types of things) and I was watching where I was going (because I'm always worried something like this is going to happen). It was nothing that Disney outright did - other than having the huge crack there. I'm not mad at Disney - truly just upset with how the CMs reacted to the situation.

So - to explain further (or maybe rephrase) - my question about contacting Disney or sucking it up was in reference to bringing their attention to the matter.

For what it's worth at this point, I did attempt to make several CMs aware of the situation that evening and didn't have any luck.

Go to the doctor to find out why it still hurts.

A podiatrist once told me that, if your ankle hurts, always wear footwear with laces and support.

Unfortunately all you can do is to go to doctor and write an angry letter to Disney. CMs did not interact with you simply because they did not want you to have them as witnesses to the accident. I am sure they are trained how to deal with such situations. Disney get sued every day like every other big company. Someone who would want sue them would probably call 911, took pictures of the ground and took names of witnesses. You did not do any of that, so I guess you do not hold Disney responsible but write letter to them anyway, just to let it off your chest.
My mother had a similar situation in Macys. Nobody even tried to help her.

DH felt very ill after riding Priveival Whirl, Dinosaur and Expedition Everest twice in a row. I guess he can't handle a lot of motion in a short span of time.
After we exited EE, he got very pale and said he did not feel well. He proceeded to throw up in the bushes (there was nowhere else to go). I was very worried about him however, because he is in his forties and it was very hot out that day. I got him a spot in the shade to sit down and ran to get a CM. She came over and I asked if they could get him some water. I didn't not want him to get dehydrated from the heat and the vomitting. She came back about 5 minutes later saying they are not allowed to give him water because he was vommiting and he might choke on it. :confused:
I said yes, but he could also become dehydrated from the vomitting or have heat stroke. I asked her to please sit with him(she even seemed reluctant to so that)and I literally ran to the nearest water station and bought a $4.00 bottle of water and didn't wait for my change. After sitting in the shade and drinking the water DH was better. The CM said the only thing she could do was get him an ambulance if he wanted one. I really thought this was not handled well. He just needed shade and water and the fact that they would not even provide him a free cup of water while I sat with him really disappointed me.

It pretty must ruined our day. We spent the rest of the afternoon in our room in the air conditioning. DH insisted he was okay but I was freaked out by the whole incident. I didn't go back to the parks that day because I really felt vulernable.

Seriously, you need to go to the dr. and get your foot/ankle xrayed. My DD fell at school last year (tripped on her own two feet) and came home complaining that her wrist was hurting. It wasn't swollen, it lined up fine with her arm and hand and she could move it fine (not to mention the fact that she's a little bit dramatic when hurt). So we didn't worry about it. Off and on for a week, she still complained of it hurting but was still using it fine and really only complained once or twice a day. Finally, after a week, I got so sick of hearing about it that I just took her to her orthopedic dr. to get an xray (we met him six months earlier for a break to the other wrist from falling down stairs at church). Sure enough, the dr. looked at the xray and found a small hairline fracture in her wrist. Because of where the break was at, it make the wrist/hand still useable but gave enough pain to hurt occasionally. The bad thing was that because it was now a week old, we had to take her to the hospital the next day for "Surgery" for him to rebreak the fracture and reset it! :scared1: Big dramatics on that day!!! So lesson learned - you should never wait more than a few days to get it check out. It's much cheaper to get an xray and find out nothing's wrong than to have to head to the hospital for surgery!

No one..."trained medical professional", EMT, or anyone else......can rule out a fracture by simply looking at or feeling an injured area. Even an orthopedic surgeon can't do that. And there are plenty of injuries that involve damage to tendons and ligaments that require treatment.

You need to see a doctor, who will order an x-ray. Do it now. As others have said, you're causing continued injury by walking around on it without treatment.

While we were there for a MVMCP my mom at the time was 79 & the crowd was terrible-she went to step down from the curb b/c they started to have people move that way & fell-similiar ankle issue. A CM came to her aid & got her a wheel chair & she was mortified that she needed to be in it-but she was pretty sore the entire trip. She never went to the drs. either from time to time it still bothers her. I would get an appt to see your dr. -just in case. Sometimes sprains take longer to heal than an actual break. Good luck!

I am an x-ray technician and I have seen many "I fell 6 weeks ago and I thought it would get better" ankle/wrist/foot/hand, etc. fractures!

You should def get it checked out and get an xray to r/o a fx. You could be doing more damage to it by not resting it.

Sorry to hear you fell. While it is not fun to fall on vacation, you should have spoken to a manager at the Poly to help you when you didn't get help from the CM's. I'm not sure what/if Disney can do anything at this point to help you since it wasn't documented when it immediately happened.

OP, since you clarified that the issue you are grappling with is whether it is worth it or not to inform Disney of the CMs reaction to your request for aid (and NOT whether it is Disney's or Crocs' or your own fault you fell),

I would let them know. I wouldn't go into a whole lot of detail about the present condition of your ankle or pain, etc. you've had for 6 weeks now, but I would comment on the fact that, having spoken with other current and former CMs since the incident, you believe the Poly CMs may need a refresher course in guest treatment in situations such as your own. I'd not mention the injury other that to say it was more severe than a mere scratched knee. Otherwise, I think it does come across as a plea for freebies or compensation.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

DH felt very ill after riding Priveival Whirl, Dinosaur and Expedition Everest twice in a row. I guess he can't handle a lot of motion in a short span of time.
After we exited EE, he got very pale and said he did not feel well. He proceeded to throw up in the bushes (there was nowhere else to go). I was very worried about him however, because he is in his forties and it was very hot out that day. I got him a spot in the shade to sit down and ran to get a CM. She came over and I asked if they could get him some water. I didn't not want him to get dehydrated from the heat and the vomitting. She came back about 5 minutes later saying they are not allowed to give him water because he was vommiting and he might choke on it. :confused:
I said yes, but he could also become dehydrated from the vomitting or have heat stroke. I asked her to please sit with him(she even seemed reluctant to so that)and I literally ran to the nearest water station and bought a $4.00 bottle of water and didn't wait for my change. After sitting in the shade and drinking the water DH was better. The CM said the only thing she could do was get him an ambulance if he wanted one. I really thought this was not handled well. He just needed shade and water and the fact that they would not even provide him a free cup of water while I sat with him really disappointed me.

It pretty must ruined our day. We spent the rest of the afternoon in our room in the air conditioning. DH insisted he was okay but I was freaked out by the whole incident. I didn't go back to the parks that day because I really felt vulernable.

Glad that your husband felt better after. That ride is just as bad as the tea cups-IMO. Unfortunately, they are probably VERY cautious to help guests because of lawsuits.:sad2: I know my mom needed a band-aid(we had them in the room but not with us & a CM wouldn't give her one/didn't have one whatever. Some lady walked by & offer a handful to us-she was very kind. But it's too bad that when you need some help you can't always get "just a little" b/c people like to sue.

No I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear initially! I don't intend on "suing" Disney or holding them (or Crocs) responsible for my fall. Yes the crack in the concrete was much larger than it should have been (DH was previously in construction and knows these types of things) and I was watching where I was going (because I'm always worried something like this is going to happen). It was nothing that Disney outright did - other than having the huge crack there. I'm not mad at Disney - truly just upset with how the CMs reacted to the situation.

So - to explain further (or maybe rephrase) - my question about contacting Disney or sucking it up was in reference to bringing their attention to the matter.

For what it's worth at this point, I did attempt to make several CMs aware of the situation that evening and didn't have any luck.

BUT they don't know that and the fact you are even thinking of contacting them 6 months after a simple trip kinda speaks volumes. I truly believe that is why the CM's weren't more helpful and it is a shame. the fact you even thought of it -and I'm not saying YOU would-means thousands would think of trying to get something out of it. I really feel sorry for big businesses now.

Even if you write them they won't acknowledge the sidewalk because then they would be admitting a problem, and giving you a case. they will say sorry you weren't happy with your visit and hope the next is more pleasant. What do you want Disney to do? Why write? Because it has been way to long after to say you are worried about others, in 6 months a lot of people could have fallen already if it truly was a problem.

You tripped, did anyone else on the huge crack? Go to the DR. if you want but sprains can take forever to feel better. But forget Disney.

6 months? Did you read wrong or type wrong? It's been six weeks since the OP fell.
BUT they don't know that and the fact you are even thinking of contacting them 6 months after a simple trip kinda speaks volumes. I truly believe that is why the CM's weren't more helpful and it is a shame. the fact you even thought of it -and I'm not saying YOU would-means thousands would think of trying to get something out of it. I really feel sorry for big businesses now.

Even if you write them they won't acknowledge the sidewalk because then they would be admitting a problem, and giving you a case. they will say sorry you weren't happy with your visit and hope the next is more pleasant. What do you want Disney to do? Why write? Because it has been way to long after to say you are worried about others, in 6 months a lot of people could have fallen already if it truly was a problem.

You tripped, did anyone else on the huge crack? Go to the DR. if you want but sprains can take forever to feel better. But forget Disney.

I fell down the stairs a few weeks ago and needed to see a muscle and ligament manipulator. It helped tremendously. My pain and ankle situation sounded very similar to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter