Would You Want To Be a CM?

Cast member is such a loaded term.. you can be a cast member and never set foot in any park unless your visiting it like any other guest. It really depends on what your qualified to do.. If they paid a competitive salary for the top talent in what I do, sure I would consider it like I do any one else trying to poach me. I wouldn't ask them for a job unless I needed one, I like being in the ask me to work for you position.

Although I will say, I was looking into what the minimum hours would be to get all the CM perks, discounts, etc but not take away too much free time :)
I have a friend that does that. He works for Disney. But he is an engineer.

So his office is off site.

We're all uber Disney fans here so I wonder...would you ever want to be a CM? And if so...and if you could get ANY job...what would you want?

Sometimes I think I would love it...imagine getting paid to be in MK all day?! Imagine getting to personally help make lasting memories for families?! But then I think of how hard it must be to deal with so many hot and tired people and I realize it must be the hardest job in the world.

But if someone gave me a golden ticket and told me I could have ANY job in WDW I would probably choose a HM Ballroom Dancer in the Boo to You Parade, or a HM maid, or...the person who could simultaneously get rid of the DDP and FP+ and bring spontaneity back to the Disney vacation. But mostly a HM Maid.

Working in the Haunted Mansion would be my dream CM job, too :)

I have been, I was on the International College Programme. Although it was good, the pay was crap. I was on the equivalent of about £4ph. NMW in the UK was £6.19 back in 2012. Also the rent and food was so expensive! However I made life long friends in my 10 hour fast food shifts!!

Call me crazy, but my future dream CM job will be at IASW. :banana:. I happen to love the song, and after 23+ years of being able to tune out DH except when it's some thing I need to know :teeth:, I should have no issue hearing the song non-stop!

DH will put his boat captain skills to work driving one of the various boats around :sail::boat:

Been here 3years and I can still say I love my job, but come on who wouldn't when they pilot the highway in the sky!

With that being said, I do have the days when I just want to go home and not think abou the events of earlier.. But then there is the day I get my picture taken with a kid by their parents because I have the child's dream job. I mean that's pretty cool. The other thing is, I've worked real back breaking jobs, and here I am suffering from them at my young age, but now I have a job that is true only fun and all play. I can't complain there.

Been here 3years and I can still say I love my job, but come on who wouldn't when they pilot the highway in the sky!

With that being said, I do have the days when I just want to go home and not think abou the events of earlier.. But then there is the day I get my picture taken with a kid by their parents because I have the child's dream job. I mean that's pretty cool. The other thing is, I've worked real back breaking jobs, and here I am suffering from them at my young age, but now I have a job that is true only fun and all play. I can't complain there.

I think that's why I say my worst day was usually pretty darn good still. I was yelled at, spit on, and threatened one day but crazy enough after all that my coordinator still said you did a great job handling yourself today. In my past role at my current company my manager never said a word if we were doing good and only said something if we were doing bad. Thankfully I switched departments and my new manager is better but it really sucked doing an above average job on a hard project and getting no recognition for it at all. Of course at Disney I think it is what department you luck into. Some of my friends who are still CMs say their coordinators and managers aren't as good as what I had.

As much as I love Disney, I don't think I would ever work as a CM as I have a bad feeling that the amazing feeling I have when I go to WDW for example won't come back if I end up hating it and I don't want to risk that happening if Im brutally honest.

I would be the person who runs the ice cream areas or at Gaston's Tavern. But I also want to become an Imagineer since I have so many great ideas for what could fit perfectly at the resorts in WDW.

Dancer... either in the stage shows or in the parades. Safari driver, resort hotel front desk staff, molecular biologist in the LWTL labs, wedding planner.

I've done it on a 1 year program, and I would do it again in a HEARTBEAT! Even with the weeks of literally living paycheque to paycheque and stress and not so nice guests, for every moment like that, there were another 5 amazing moments. If I could have my pick I'd want to be entertainment, second choice being hotel concierge/check in, and third being guest relations with the ultimate goal working up to a tour guide!

I've thought about it, but the problem is that I don't have the best people skills and can rub people the wrong way, so I'd have to have a role that had minimal guest contact. And I wouldn't want to be backstage. So I'd need a role that, in a Venn Diagram, would be at the intersection of "not much guest contact" and "not backstage." Very few such roles outside of custodial, I would imagine.

I've thought about it, but the problem is that I don't have the best people skills and can rub people the wrong way, so I'd have to have a role that had minimal guest contact. And I wouldn't want to be backstage. So I'd need a role that, in a Venn Diagram, would be at the intersection of "not must guest contact" and "not backstage." Very few such roles outside of custodial, I would imagine.

Custodial is actually one of the biggest guest facing roles. Since they aren't usually safety critical roles custodial can be more free to interact with guests. That doesn't happen all the time but custodial use to also be big on guest interaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter