Would You Want To Be a CM?

nicolebridget22

Mouseketeer
We're all uber Disney fans here so I wonder...would you ever want to be a CM? And if so...and if you could get ANY job...what would you want?

Sometimes I think I would love it...imagine getting paid to be in MK all day?! Imagine getting to personally help make lasting memories for families?! But then I think of how hard it must be to deal with so many hot and tired people and I realize it must be the hardest job in the world.

But if someone gave me a golden ticket and told me I could have ANY job in WDW I would probably choose a HM Ballroom Dancer in the Boo to You Parade, or a HM maid, or...the person who could simultaneously get rid of the DDP and FP+ and bring spontaneity back to the Disney vacation. But mostly a HM Maid.

I did it and was in a pretty thankless role and there are many days I wish I could go back. If given the chance (meaning fiance gets on board with moving back to Fl) I would go back in a heart beat. Even with the less than steller pay my worst day as a CM remains better than my average to good days at any job since.

Maybe in a role where you're not necessarily dealing with the general public. (I think any service job can be pretty thankless.) Something like being a Dapper Dan (although I'm female), or a piano player? Idk how close to the public they get - I've only ever seen people stand back and enjoy the entertainment.

Yes. As soon as I start my second year of college this fall, I plan on applying to do the CP. I really want to be a Jungle Cruise skipper!

My older sister is a full time server in Animal Kingdom right now (but has also worked in Epcot as a server) and loves being there, but says that working there has ruined a lot of the love she has for working with guests because of the way she's been treated. There are a lot of guests who demand magic and are aggressive to get it, or guests who come in angry because of things like long lines or the heat and are looking for someone to complain to/yell at. She also says that she's transferring roles ASAP because the small tips/lack of tips she gets from many tables cut into her hourly pay, along with people booking pre-park opening breakfasts and not showing up causing her to have unseated tables. She's working full time and has to live in a 3 bedroom apartment with a lot of other CMs, with 2-3 of them sharing each bedroom, and is hoping that if she transfers roles she'll find one with a more steady bring home pay. Hearing what she has to say hasn't made me rethink doing the CP, but it has made me rethink considering working at WDW as my dream job.

Cast member is such a loaded term.. you can be a cast member and never set foot in any park unless your visiting it like any other guest. It really depends on what your qualified to do.. If they paid a competitive salary for the top talent in what I do, sure I would consider it like I do any one else trying to poach me. I wouldn't ask them for a job unless I needed one, I like being in the ask me to work for you position.

Although I will say, I was looking into what the minimum hours would be to get all the CM perks, discounts, etc but not take away too much free time :)

Once upon a time, I had wanted to be a friend of Mickey, or even a princess, or a dancer in the Beauty and the Beast show. Now, I'd consider getting only as close as being a concierge for one of the Resorts. Let me welcome people "home" to start their stay or share what was magical or not-so-magical that day. I wouldn't want to work directly IN a park for fear of having the magic ruined for me, especially not Magic Kingdom. If only Florida wasn't so miserably hot in the summers. Hearing what some of the CMs go through "off stage" with living conditions and wages also makes me rethink the dream aspect, too.

Only if I wouldnt have to interact with 21st century guests...

I would love to see how the training and quality department of Disney service works, but to actually work there with guests who demand magic and everything including the kitchen sink, no thank you!

I'd love to work for the conservation/animal side of Disney or be a photopass photographer/disney wedding photographer. Course being from the UK I'd probably have to marry an American to make that dream come true :rolleyes1

In a word, no. Simply because then the illusion and the magic would disappear and I would possibly become jaded about one of my favorite places in our fine country.

This. My sister is a CM and her husband used to be. They've basically lost all interest in Disney World and never go to the parks anymore. They still love Disney in general though, so they go to Disneyland instead lol. Personally, I'm not really a people-person, so unless I could be one of the Wicked Stepsisters or a Villain, I could only work at Disney if I was behind the scenes.

Cast member is such a loaded term.. you can be a cast member and never set foot in any park unless your visiting it like any other guest. It really depends on what your qualified to do.. If they paid a competitive salary for the top talent in what I do, sure I would consider it like I do any one else trying to poach me. I wouldn't ask them for a job unless I needed one, I like being in the ask me to work for you position.

Although I will say, I was looking into what the minimum hours would be to get all the CM perks, discounts, etc but not take away too much free time :)

If you can bet it seasonal is back to 150 hours across a calender year. However, I believe passes for extras are earned as you work hours now instead of being givin all at once.

When I first moved back to San Antonio six years ago, the first job I got was at Sea World. That was my favorite job of all time. If they paid double, I might have stayed. So if I could afford it, I would love to be a cast member, and help be a part of the magic.

Seems to me like it would be fun - oh for the first few months, but then would likely turn into just a another job low pay high work expectations. Also as mentioned really depends on the CM position, as dealing with crowds, heat and/or difficult guests would really get to be a drag. Guessing that some of the best "fun" CM positions many people would love to have are not entry level but only after years of experience, including crowding guests into an attraction for years before chance for more "fun" Disney experience type job, unless you have specific experience or training to be an entertainer.

For what Disney pays its CMs, no way. Also, I would hate for going to WDW to become just another day at a tiresome, low-paying job. That would ruin the magic.

And no, I wouldn't want to deal with some of the difficult guests I've seen, either. I'm a teacher and know what having to deal with certain difficult, entitled parents is like. Just wouldn't be worth it for what Disney pays its CMs.

I loooooooove Disney but I don't think I could do it. Maybe for a really short college program but that ship has sailed for me. Work is still work and I would hate to get fed up with Disney. Also cast members have got to be the most patient people. I've seen guests complaining about the most idiotic things. I would curse someone out if they came at me like that so I'm pretty sure I'd be fired lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter