• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you swim in December?

k-wa

Mouseketeer
We are heading to the World from New York State Dec. 13. Woud you hit the resort pools if you were us?

Coming from Maine, you bet! You can always tell the Northerners...the ones in the pool!

Truly, Dec. weather can be hit or miss in terms of temps....you need to bring a bit of everything...bathing suits and shorts to sweaters and light jackets, etc. (I grew up in New Paltz, btw!)

You are going during an absolutely MAGICAL time, so enjoy! :wizard:

We just got back yesterday. It was in the mid 70's during the day, so you could swim at that point of the day. However, at night you definitely needed a jacket. Unless you can tolerate getting from your room to the pool, the only swimming you may be doing would be mid-afternoon.

we were there last year the first week in December and we hit the pool on two different days with my DD and had a blast. of course there werent many people in the pools but the water is heated and it was pretty mild weather (just initially a little chilly when you stepped out of the poo)l. we had a blast! it was a nice break from hitting the parks.

When we went last December I noticed that my wife didn't pack everyone's swimsuits, when I told her to pack them she thought I was crazy.

But as it turned out we had some decent days to swim, but even if it were a little cold the water is heated.

Here is one of the funniest photos from our trip:

7817.jpg

Lifeguards are on duty when it's cold. :)

yes, and I am from the south.

swimming in Dec at disney outside is one of the best things about going in Dec.

of course it depends how far you are from the pool or the door going inside.

OKW if you are close to a pool - hey go for it!!!

same with SSR.

BWV - depends upon how cold the halls are - if they are okay - then again go for it!!!

BCV - not the main pool - too far - but the quiet pool yea!

AKV - not sure - it only took me a few minutes to get to the pool - but I had standard room.

I swim! Early mornings at VWL pool is one of my favorite things about going to WDW, even in December! The pool was down when we were there in October, I can't wait to be in it in December!

I agree with spicycat though, the hardest for me was getting back to our SV room at the BWV!

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. What a great picture, tod222222! Love it!!!

We have gone to WDW the past two years at Decembers and have gone swimming each year. The past two years the daytime temperature was just warm enough.

Since we are going agin this year at New Years, I am hoping that it is warm enough to swim again. At the very least, I am going to hit the hot tub!

We went is early Dec 05 and were able to swim 3 or 4 out of 7 days between noon and 4pm. It was comfortable while submerged in the water, but chilly out in the air. We were at BCV (storm-along-bay) and I found the pool at the bottom of the children's pirate slide to be significantly warmer than the other pools. The lifeguard said this pool had its own heater while the other pools shared a heater. We're heading back again Dec 1 and are hoping to get at least a few hours of swimming in during the afternoons - but I'm preparing my kids for the possibility it will be too cold - just in case.

We have been there many times in Dec. most of the time it is warm enough for swimming there have been a few evenings that were balmy enough for a swim. Do bring sweatshirts/sweater in case you get some cold evenings. Plus if you pack the extra hopefully it will be a waste of suitcase space and bring you great weather!:santa:

We're from MN. We go just about every December. We swim every single time.

We had my niece there from MN last December. It was mid 40's one morning with a high to be in the 50's that day and I had to argue with her that it was too cold to swim! Her mom finally said if it got to 65 degrees she could go swimming. We did, on one afternoon.

We have gone in early January for the last 3 years and the year before that in December. We swim just about every day! But, we are from Wisconsin! :rotfl:

However, the hot tubs are great and my kids (DD7 and DD13) are resilient. My husband and I sit in the hot tub at BWV and watch the kids go up and down the stairs to the slide. Mornings, afternoons and night we go when we want a break! Most people walking by the pool area think we are nuts and most folks we meet in the hot tub are from somewhere North! :)

That being said, last year we had some very nice weather. But other years, it has gotten a bit chilly.

I judge swimming weather by the temperature, not by the date on the calendar. There are many December days that are warm enough for me to swim. There are also many December days that aren't.

Bring a suit and play it by ear.

Summer here is mid 70's on average - low 80's on hot days and rarely into the 90's. So FL in the winter is often like our summer, and I love it! There have been some cold days in the 60's, but overall during our 2 wk trips we can usually find at least 3 or 4 days that swimming is very pleasant.

Have fun! I'll be there Dec 1-13th, and definitely plan to swim!

Being able to swim in December is the main reason we added our yearly Christmas trip since 2004.

Both my boys learned to swim in December at the Congress Park quiet pool. We swam almost every night and went from the hot tub to the pool.

We bring hoodies to get from the pool to the room.

Also love the waterparks in Dec/Jan:thumbsup2

The heated pools and waterparks make those prime points worth it for us.:wizard:

Last Christmas, we were down at Dis 12/16 - 12/22. The weather was just beautiful. Every single day was 82 and sunny. It was definitely warm enough to swim. Definitely take your swim suits and hope for the best!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter