Would you still go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go. We went in Aug when the Covid #'s were far worse. Our experience; the Disney protocol was so good and felt so normal that we found ourselves second-guessing things that we considered safe and normal when we got home (like why isn't there hand sanitizer absolutely everywhere?). No regrets here, plans already in the works to go again in 2021 NMW.
Technically the case numbers were lower but the deaths were higher. As we are on an upward trend right now, no one can say what will happen by January when OP has plans. (This is not to start an argument.)

Again, if possible I would wait a while before making a decision. January seems so close yet so far away when it comes to this pandemic. No one will know long-term effects until we have years behind us although there is anecdotal evidence for some. I just state and CDC covid trackers. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Hi everyone

We rented DVC points for a 2br at BLT right before Covid hit. Our reservation is Jan 30-Feb 5 2021.

We are on the fence about whether to still go. Our kids will be 4 and 7. We will have to fly. I’m homeschooling my 7yo this year due to covid so we are definitely on the cautious side. My main concern is potential long term effects of the virus for my kids.

We priced out tickets and it’s almost $2500 which is giving me pause. I’m hearing that lines for “good” rides are getting longer, no FP, we wouldn’t do any character dining or the indoor sit down restaurants we had planned, no monorail, etc. Between tix, flight, and meals, we are looking at probably $5000 (which we haven’t spent yet).

On the other hand, we have already spent $5000 on the room which we can’t get back. We want to go to Disney. I don’t know when we would go again if we don’t do it now.

Help?

Only you and your family can decide if you feel safe or not traveling. We’ve traveled post covid with our kids and have never felt unsafe, granted we’ve also been sending our kids to school in person since the end of August, and while we’ve had some reservations about certain activities, we’ve decided as parents to move forward with as normal of feeling life we can for kids, albeit with caution. While I think WDW is safer than 99.9% of the places we go every day of our lives, how you feel about it may vary considerably. We have enjoyed our post covid Disney visits. And while yes crowds have increased, there are still lots of magical moments abound and overall it’s still not crowded like in “normal” Disney times.

As far as crowds and lines when you go....nobody knows what the crowds will be like come Jan/Feb. I think that’s a great time to visit in normal times for crowd levels. Never very chaotic...usually. Plus the weather is usually wonderfully pleasant. As far as money spent on the rented points, maybe your agent will allow a date change. Fairly certain I haven’t heard of any refunds but some have been graceful with changes. If you can change and push it off, maybe look to 2022 if the agency will allow it.

Good luck!

I was in your shoes and we canceled for all the reasons you mention. That $5k is a sunk cost and not relevant for future decision-making.

In a purely economic view you are correct, but since the benefits to be had related to that cost can still be had it's not fully sunk yet, just pre-paid. They can't get the money back but they can still utilize the room they paid for if they choose to.

I just returned from WDW, Oct 17-24. Yes I would do it again in a heartbeat IF I got another steal of a deal on a DVC rental. I read these boards prior to our departure. I knew going in that the July and August crowds had now tripled if not quadrupled; mask are a necessity and a nuisance; impossible to social distance every second of the day in the parks so wear you mask and be polite; no M&G so enjoy the cavalcades; food choices will be disappointing so make dining reservations/rent a car to eat offsite; get a grocery order or go to Wally world to purchase food to cook in your room; pack your patience and snacks when dealing with the ride lines, they constantly move but the headliners are 45-60 minute waits; Disney bus transportation to the parks will be terrible so rent a car and Covid Disney is 25%- 35% of the real Disney experience.

Like others have posted turn your trip into an Orlando experience and not just a Disney experience. Your kiddos are young so go to MK and AK during the middle of the week for less crowds. Since you're lodging at BLT you could definitely do MK for two days since it's a walk or monorail ride away. Rope Drop and hit your must rides and enjoy the other rides at your leisure. Go back to your resort midday for lunch, nap and a swim and come back and close it out the last 2 or 3 hours of the day.

Orlando Experience - rent a car and enjoy Coco Beach, Universal, Sea World and drive to Tampa for Busch Gardens. Tons of things to do in Orlando besides WDW. I would definitely take advantage of them at this time.

Again, can we please keep this forum off topic of Covid numbers and what masks do or don't. The OP is just asking for suggestions on coming or not and I do agree that it's a personal decision and only they can make that.

If I am interpreting the title of this thread correctly, if I were in your situation, and I were concerned about the health of my kids, I would not go. I could not live with myself if they got sick from a trip to Disney. Imagine the memories I would have of that trip! Better to lose $5000 than to live with the guilt afterwards.

OTOH, if I could get over my concerns about the children (or me) catching COVID on the trip, the decision is easier to make. I would make believe that my kids and I know nothing about what Disney was like before the restrictions. Now I won't know what I'm missing. Even in it's current state, Disney is still a magical place like no other and there will be enough to do when I get there. I concur with others here who have suggested enjoying the rides and restaurants that are there and to make side trips outside of the park.

Whatever you choose, it will be the right choice for YOU!

P.S. My kids and I will be there Christmas week, God willing.

We went through the same thing (booked a late January/early February trip before Covid hit) and ultimately decided to postpone our trip. We're coming from the West Coast and I just don't feel comfortable with air travel right now. I would probably feel differently if I could drive.

There is also a very real possibility we're in for a rough cold/flu/Covid season this winter. That being said, a lot can change between now and January. At the end of the day, you'll have to make your decision based on your comfort level. We personally made the decision to push our trip back to (hopefully) October. We'll reevaluate in a few months. Selfishly, I don't know if I want to spend thousands of dollars on park tickets and airfare with all the cuts going on right now. Hoping to get there by February 2022 so we don't lose our DVC points!

Masks and distancing would not prevent me from going to Disney, but I'd go in cooler weather, not summer. In fact, I'm planning a group trip of 11 people for Thanksgiving 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter