Would you still go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friedbutter

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone

We rented DVC points for a 2br at BLT right before Covid hit. Our reservation is Jan 30-Feb 5 2021.

We are on the fence about whether to still go. Our kids will be 4 and 7. We will have to fly. I’m homeschooling my 7yo this year due to covid so we are definitely on the cautious side. My main concern is potential long term effects of the virus for my kids.

We priced out tickets and it’s almost $2500 which is giving me pause. I’m hearing that lines for “good” rides are getting longer, no FP, we wouldn’t do any character dining or the indoor sit down restaurants we had planned, no monorail, etc. Between tix, flight, and meals, we are looking at probably $5000 (which we haven’t spent yet).

On the other hand, we have already spent $5000 on the room which we can’t get back. We want to go to Disney. I don’t know when we would go again if we don’t do it now.

Help?

Hi! My kids are similar ages. I would ask what the cancellation policy is, if they would be flexible at all. I am not in the situation of renting points, but I have an upcoming reservation which I had already reschedule due to the spring close down. I feel comfortable with Disney itself, but there is that seed of doubt of traveling and not knowing what could happen. The lack of entertainment is not a huge downer for me because I wouldn't be going indoor for any shows until things are more under control. We haven't gone anywhere indoors during the last 7 months, ex. restaurants. I am trying to hold out until last minute to decide.

Only you can make that call based on your comfort level vs your economic outlay.

We too rented DVC points in early Jan for our upcoming trip that starts in 4 weeks. Our friends rented a 2 bdrm suite at Kidani Village so they had a similar sunk cost as you do, and they are a family of 7 going, including 2 grandparents. But we are all still committed to going. Obviously if all of this had started BEFORE we booked out trip I wouldn't have gone, but not due to any fears but more due to reduce experiences, restaurant closures, that sort of thing.

Good luck in your decision.

If you're worried about potential long term side effects, unfortunately, that's not something anyone here (or anywhere) can answer for you at this time. It's easy to say it shouldn't be about the money, but burning $5k is burning $5k. I'm really sorry you're in this position and having to choose.

For what it's worth, we went to WDW in August and I felt perfectly safe on property. At that time, at least, people were wearing masks and being respectful of space. I wouldn't hesitate to go again. But I'm also kind of on the "YOLO" train about all of this. You can do your part and be responsible -- do your best to mitigate your risks and exposures and be mindful and respectful of your impact on others. But ultimately COVID is all around us. It's in grocery stores, it's at gas stations, it's on airplanes and in all reality it's likely at Disney. No one really knows what's going to come of all of this, so I think it's just up to us as individuals to determine how we're going to let it impact our lives. Best of luck to you in your decision!

We have also rented DVC points and are going at the beginning of January. It's are not refundable or changeable. I do understand the sadness of the reduced experience. I have been reading trip reports and I think from my kids point of view (age 4, 7, 10) it will still be worth it. Magic will still be there. We are also doing virtual learning and are cautious. But working in a hospital, I've come to a couple of personal conclusions.
1. With masks, hand washing, and distancing you can be reasonably safe. Be kind to yourself and others.
2. You never know what is going to happen in the future, take that trip and make memories with your loved ones while you can.

We just got back, yes we had fun but overall I wish we had waited. Disney was a very different experience.
If it were us and I could not get my money back.. we would go enjoy the resort and some of what orlando has to offer and skip Disney.
My kids were miserable with all the long lines and wearing mask all day. . What got me is we bought all you can ride bands at fun spot for under $50 and they kept saying how much more fun it was than Disney... WHAT we paid almost 500 a day to get into Disney. And when family ask How was Disney my kids talk about the Beach.
We did feel safe a Disney.. safer than going to Walmart.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Just doing the resort/some things in Orlando and maybe one day in Magic Kingdom is a good idea I hadn’t considered.

The value in Disney has radically altered - that crazy price they charge for admission now does NOT include Street Entertainment, shows, fireworks, Character Dining, M&G, most of the eating options, and so much more. Basically all the things that make Disney, well, Disney.
I would start looking around at other Orlando options to entertain yourselves.

we think disney is now a colossal waste of money with all the cutbacks. also be advised that you'll likely feel that masks including outside all day will be unbearable. i agree that if the hotel is unrefundable, check out other things around orlando

We have also rented DVC points and are going at the beginning of January. It's are not refundable or changeable. I do understand the sadness of the reduced experience. I have been reading trip reports and I think from my kids point of view (age 4, 7, 10) it will still be worth it. Magic will still be there. We are also doing virtual learning and are cautious. But working in a hospital, I've come to a couple of personal conclusions.
1. With masks, hand washing, and distancing you can be reasonably safe. Be kind to yourself and others.
2. You never know what is going to happen in the future, take that trip and make memories with your loved ones while you can.
unfortunately disney is among the places that have gone overboard with both distancing and masks. remember, it NEVER was recommended to do both, just one or the other

unfortunately disney is among the places that have gone overboard with both distancing and masks. remember, it NEVER was recommended to do both, just one or the other
Pretty sure it is recommended to wear masks when in public, stay at least 6 feet away from others and wash hands frequently. Disney is doing all it can to protect everyone.

Hi everyone

We rented DVC points for a 2br at BLT right before Covid hit. Our reservation is Jan 30-Feb 5 2021.

We are on the fence about whether to still go. Our kids will be 4 and 7. We will have to fly. I’m homeschooling my 7yo this year due to covid so we are definitely on the cautious side. My main concern is potential long term effects of the virus for my kids.

We priced out tickets and it’s almost $2500 which is giving me pause. I’m hearing that lines for “good” rides are getting longer, no FP, we wouldn’t do any character dining or the indoor sit down restaurants we had planned, no monorail, etc. Between tix, flight, and meals, we are looking at probably $5000 (which we haven’t spent yet).

On the other hand, we have already spent $5000 on the room which we can’t get back. We want to go to Disney. I don’t know when we would go again if we don’t do it now.

Help?

Absolutely we would still go. My daughter is in college in Tampa and she is going to the Magic Kingdom on Sunday. My wife has sarcosis. This is a calcium build up on her lungs. She is down to about 50% lung capacity. So far this year, in August we flew out to Las Vegas, and we drove our daughter to college and flew back from Tampa to Grand Rapids in late August. I'm a firm believer that as long as you take precautions, you will be fine.

Disney cannot control distancing as people walk through their parks and resorts, therefore, masks are required as per their agreement with the unions.
well, they seemed to put in a lot of things ensuring distancing. so that's why it feels they're phoning it in with still requiring masks too

I was in your shoes and we canceled for all the reasons you mention. That $5k is a sunk cost and not relevant for future decision-making.

Well the reduced experience, look at it like this, you aren't going to do everything the first time anyway. So, if visiting again in the future is a thing, then do all the stuff that is open now. When the time comes and WDW is back to normal, then you will have more time for the re-opened experiences.
As far as the long term, that is such a personal decision. Weighing risk, is a daily thing now. Look up the numbers, the protections you will take, and go from there. This summer, I did smaller scale travel to non restricted states. It was a risk that at the time, I decided to take (it was worth it). Would I do it again today? Not sure.

well, they seemed to put in a lot of things ensuring distancing. so that's why it feels they're phoning it in with still requiring masks too

Disney is a private company with a set of rules in place. If you don't like them or can't abide by the rules, that's ok and then you shouldn't come, but this post could be construed as wanting to start an argument and I'm sure it was unintentional. Have you been to Disney recently?
To the OP, I feel safe at Disney and at the other Orlando theme parks. In most cases, people wear their masks at Disney correctly...but there are noses out, and masks hanging off of ears while trying to walk and drink. Most people try their best to distance correctly but sometimes they just don't realize where the floor markers are located and get too close, but when pointed out will pay more attention and not come up on you again. I go to the Orlando theme parks every week.

Go. We went in Aug when the Covid #'s were far worse. Our experience; the Disney protocol was so good and felt so normal that we found ourselves second-guessing things that we considered safe and normal when we got home (like why isn't there hand sanitizer absolutely everywhere?). No regrets here, plans already in the works to go again in 2021 NMW.

I went through these same mental acrobatics (I don't have risk factors but I have older parents and in-laws, and am an avid scuba diver and cyclist - and I know several young adults who have notably diminished lung capacity/functionality following infection). I don't want this thing, and I don't want to pass it to others. But I cannot help my desire to bring a bit of joy into 2020, and I really want to see my sister and niece. I'm going, but I decided to do a BLT villa so I'd have a nice space to escape to, and I will remove myself from any situation that feels uncomfortable. We have ADRs for places with either extremely high ceilings or with an option for outdoor seating - and again, I have no qualms about walking away if I don't like the situation. I have an adorable collection of masks (and will be adding filters for park days when I know I'll be in indoor lines). I do feel as if with adequate precautions, the chances of infection are low - although many precautions fall onto others/are out of our direct control, from almost everything I've seen and heard, Disney is doing about as admirable job of upholding safety standards as anyone could, and it certainly seems as if most people traveling to Disney now are doing so because of this:).

As for value...yeah. Compared with "the before times", the experience is going to be diminished. But goodness only knows when we'll get back to a pre-pandemic level of experience. I'm not getting live shows. I'm not getting fireworks. I'm not getting Casey's or Woody's Lunch Box (darn it). I'm not getting EMH or FP+. But to me, some value lies in those high safety standards. It's funny what becomes "worth it" when the world turns upside-down.

Me, me, me, me, me.... That's not really the point. As others have said, only you can make this decision, and it's not easy - good luck. If you do go, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter