Would you let your child go on a ride as soon as they're tall enough?

I say if they are tall enough let them ride. The rides have height restrictions ofr areason and it they are tall enough you can be assured it is completely safe unless they have some sort of medical condition. My DD is 5 and was 41 inches on our last trip. She rode everthing she was tall eonugh for except ToT and the water rides. It was too cold for water and she was not interested in ToT.

Yeah, I let them ride. That's why we go! Mine were 40" by about 3.5 years and rode everything they could. They loved Test track, two of the mountains (seems like Space is 42 or 44) and Goofy's coaster is fine for a sturdy toddler. I think I've seen babies (okay not infants) on that. 35" right? My kids rode RnRCoster asap, but not all ended up liking it! Two of mine now don't like ToT but as preschoolers they did! Unless your child has physical limitations, let him ride. They aren't perfect, but highly engineered with safety at the top of the priority list I am sure. Have fun.

Just because they're tall enough? No.

But would I let them ride? Depends on the child. Best way, unless you already know it's going to be a problem, is to start slowly and work your way up. If they they have a problem with Barnstormer, then don't take them on anything more intense. If they're OK, then maybe try Big Thunder or Splash Mountain.

I will never forget the first time I took my 2 nephews on ToT - they were 3, and just tall enough. Throughout the whole line, I told them that it is scary, but we weren't backing out of the ride when we got there after waiting that long (no FP then). We got on the ride, dropped once, I looked over to see how they were doing, and they both had their hands up. They loved it. They were little daredevils. (Now, I just wish my DD2 had a little of that in her!! :rotfl:)

So, yes, if they child was big enough and I think they could handle it, I would say heck yeah. Now, my DD, I'm hoping she'll want to go on Goofy's Barnstormer in August...but I'm not getting my hopes up...:confused3

Our boys measured 35+ and 36+ inches in height at their WBV earlier this month, I definitely plan on taking them on Goofy's Barnstormer as long as they have enjoyed the milder rides like Dumbo for instance. That ride is really so mild, as long as they hit the height, there's nothing to worry about. As far as the others go, if mine were taller, I'd just have to see how the kids react to other rides and if they wanted to!

We are a coaster family so as soon as they were tall enough or looked old enough in the case of the matterhorn we took them on it. We didn't want our kids to end up being afraid of coasters and so far none are except my youngest DD isn't too hot on the upside down california screamin at DCA but she will ride.

Wanted to add my experience. My DS was just 3 by a month the first time he went. He is a scaredy-cat, too! He did and liked: Barnstormer, Test Track (his fav), BTMRR- He did ST & BW, but liked them OK- just a bit rough and loud for him. He still won't ride splash or soarin'- well the last time we went, we he was 5, he wouldn't. Just go with what they want to do and you feel good about. Try on the barnstormer first, then BTMRR, then go from there.

Yes, my DS was 40" on our October trip when he was 2 1/2. I took him on all the rides you have listed except ToT(he wanted to do it, but line was always too long when we were in the area) and Body Wars (that ride has been closed for years).

Yeah, I let them ride. That's why we go! Mine were 40" by about 3.5 years and rode everything they could. They loved Test track, two of the mountains (seems like Space is 42 or 44) and Goofy's coaster is fine for a sturdy toddler. I think I've seen babies (okay not infants) on that. 35" right? My kids rode RnRCoster asap, but not all ended up liking it! Two of mine now don't like ToT but as preschoolers they did! Unless your child has physical limitations, let him ride. They aren't perfect, but highly engineered with safety at the top of the priority list I am sure. Have fun.

Yes, that one is 35". My son has been riding it since 19 months old. He was probably tall enough at 15 or 16 months if we would have been in WDW. He is tall for his age but he was really young when he rode it (and loved it). Me and DH fight over who takes him on that one though because it is really uncomfortable for adults (the seats).

My kids didn't ride coasters at three, my father in law is a neuroscientist. Possibility of slight (or even major) brain damage. Roller coaster can cause same type of damage (although generally much lighter) as shaken baby syndrome. Neck strength is one factor, the other is how much the brain has set in the skull - and there isn't a way to tell that a three year old has firmed up.

In general, there are a more than just the height restrictions at play. There is your child's maturity level (a lot of kids can't handle the content of some rides). There is your value system (some people don't like the implications of evolution implied in certain attractions, some find the rock n roll theme of Rock n Rollercoaster to be too mature for young kids) and there is the physical attributes other than height that have been discussed.

Disney has the rules they have for safety. Disney does NOT want children injured on a ride. (or adults for that matter) Therefore I would let a child ride anything he or she wanted to that Disney permitted. I would not force a child to ride something he or she did not want to, but I dont understand keeping children from rides that are safe for them.

Hey, I wanted to bring this thread back to life, and see what everyones thoughts are now on allowing kids to ride.

We've been eagerly waiting for DS to be tall enough to ride Goofy's Barnstormer. Last trip (October and December), he just missed the mark.

We will be at The World again in a few weeks, and DS will be 2 and 1/4 years old. . . too young for Goofy's Barnstormer? He's fearless, loves high speed sleding, big slides. . . thoughts on this??

My ds rode GB at age 2. It is about a 40 second ride, lol. So the perfect "roller coaster" to try first, IMO. DS is 48" tall now and has ridden RnRC on our last WDW trip, and just a few weeks ago, California Screamin' at DCA. Loves it! He's a bit of thrill junky, lol.

hth

Does Barnstormer have seat belts as well as a lap bar? Im worried that he will have no restraint if he sits with me and the lap bar was to far away from him?

Does Barnstormer have seat belts as well as a lap bar? Im worried that he will have no restraint if he sits with me and the lap bar was to far away from him?

No belt, just the bar. But I have rode with both of my DD's at young ages and just put an arm around them. No issues and one of their favorite rides.

My son is 26 months (36") and we are planning a close to or after three. It will be his fourth time to WDW. I have been thinking about this and this is what I think:

-Goofy's barnstormer- Yes
-splash mountain- No
-kali -No
-test track-Maybe
-soarin'- Maybe
-big thunder railroad- No
-star tours-No
-body wars-N/a

I think it depends on your child. For us I don't think he will respond the anything that has any really fast drops (kali, Splash, big thunder) or anything too jerky like star tours ( body wars is not open anymore anyway). Goofy's is probably ok and maybe soarin if he will sit by himself next to you and not too scared of heights.

My fear is they get overstimulated quickly and even though he physically may reach the heights I think 3 is a bit young emotionally for many of these rides. I think he has more time in the future to rides these so for us it isn't worth spoiling the vacation. Only you can really answer this because I think it depends so much on the child.

As soon as mine turned 40 inches (I think she was 3.5) she went on everything. She did ToT too and loved it so much she did it 5 more times in a row. Loved Thunder and Splash mountain. Star Tours, Kali and Test Track were some of her favs too.

Next trip at age 5, she went on ToT once and said "No thank" when asked if she wanted to go on it again, LOL. She still did everything else. She was tall enough for Space Mountain but I wasn't ready for that since she sits alone. If they were still the old seats where I could sit with her I would have done it.

She is 7 and next up in March is RRC and Space. I think she will love both. Curious to see what she does with ToT.

Hey, I wanted to bring this thread back to life, and see what everyones thoughts are now on allowing kids to ride.

We've been eagerly waiting for DS to be tall enough to ride Goofy's Barnstormer. Last trip (October and December), he just missed the mark.

We will be at The World again in a few weeks, and DS will be 2 and 1/4 years old. . . too young for Goofy's Barnstormer? He's fearless, loves high speed sleding, big slides. . . thoughts on this??

He is totally ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter