Would you let your child go on a ride as soon as they're tall enough?

molly2004

DIS Veteran
Please let me explain. Our boys will almost be 3 years old (35 months) when we go and will probably hit at least 40". Would you let your child ride as soon as they're tall enough (aside from the fear factor, just talking about height)? I'm asking in context of whether they'll be strong enough to handle a ride without getting whiplashes or other injuries. Obvious no-nos will be the "thrill" rides, like TofT at MGM. What about:

-Goofy's barnstormer
-splash mountain
-kali
-test track
-soarin'
-big thunder railroad
-star tours
-body wars

I have either never ridden these rides or it's be a loooooooooong time, so I don't know whether the rides will be too much for them. I've always thought these rides were on the tamer side, but then I never had to consider whether kids can handle them or not. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!

Yes, I would take them on. The rides have minimums for height and the weight is an average assumption. I even tell my older kids on huge rollercoasters to sit up straight and keep their head back up against the rest. I always say try it once and if you don't like it , you don't have to go on again. Same with about everything in life. Have tons of fun on your trip!

My son was exactly 40" last time we went (age 3.5). He rode Star Tours (didn't like it), Barnstormer (loved it), Kali (didn't like getting wet), Big Thunder (loved it). He backed out of Test Track (potty excuse) and would not do Splash Mountain. He was 5 on Monday and is exactly 44" now.

No. Not 'just because' they met the height requirement. I take the size & strength of the whole child as well as the ride into consideration before saying yes. But I have small children. My oldest (8)is 49 in and 46 lbs. She meets the height requirement for everything but you won't find her on Rockin Roller Coaster because she's just so small that the harness won't fit her properly. She was 6 before she went on any of the 'mountains' at MK and didn't even want to do BTMRR until last year at 7. She did do barnstormer at 3 though.

When possible watch the ride a few times with your kids, decide if they're able and then ask them if they want to go on. My dh took dd on Splash her first time because I was pg, and when I went on last year w/ her I was freaked that they didn't have lap bars, I really thought it did, it had been THAT long since I had gone on it. All was fine, but wow, mommy panic! lol

Yes if they want to go. My son is extremely light and he went on everything he was tall enough for including MS and TOT. I'm not following why not TOT. It really isn't that bad physically or is it a fear factor.

As long as the children want to ride it, and have been given a fair idea of what will happen, I let them ride.

i assume most amusement rides build in a little wiggle room. so "officially" a kid who is three inches LESS than what they say would be safe, they just add the extra inches to be sure.

I could be wrong though.

Out of that list, the only one I have been on is Soarin' and I would DEFINITELY let a 3 year old go on that as long as they meet the height requirement.

There is nothing jarring or rough about it.

My kids were older before we went but I would probably let them go on most things if they met the height requirement.

I know they all went on Star Tours (I was with the 1 year old so didn't get to go) and loved it but since I didn't go, I don't know how rough that is.

I think it will all depend on my DS.

In my opinion you will have no problem with Goofy's Barnstomer. DS rode that at 2 & 1/2. It was his favorite ride the whole trip! He keeps telling me when we go back in Sept, "We have to ride Goofy's Barnstomer a million times". :rotfl2: DS will be 3 in July.

As for the rest of your list, I think most kids would be fine when they hit the height limit. TOT can be pretty scary, but physically, I think most will be fine. I really hope my DS is tall enough for Splash Mountain, because I think he will love it.

Ones I will not let him on just because he is tall enough are Space Mountain, and Mission Space.

On Space Mountain, I would be to worried about him being in front of me, and me not being able to comfort or hold him if he is scared. I dont want to tramatize the kid. :rotfl:

As for Mission Space, well I dont ever want him to ride it. So we may just never tell him about it. :lmao:

My boys coudn't wait until they were tall enough for all the big rides. So once they turned 40" which was when they were 2 1/2 yrs old...they went on TOT, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder and loved every minute of it.

My husband and I are big thrill seekers, so they didn't even know you should be scared of these rides, because they never saw it from us. Don't get me wrong, I'm still the type of mom that checks there harness every time we go on a roller coaster....which drives them nuts that I do that. :blush:

I hope DD wants to go on these rides!! We're praying she'll make 40" by our next trip. I'm not sure she'll do Splash Mountain or Kali though, on the DVD we got she doesn't seem all that interested in them. She does however want to go down the biggest slide at Blizzard Beach :)

princesspwrhr said:
My oldest (8)is 49 in and 46 lbs. She meets the height requirement for everything but you won't find her on Rockin Roller Coaster because she's just so small that the harness won't fit her properly.

The first that my dd(9) rode RnRC she was (8) and she was just 48" without a hair to spare and she is also very light - similar build to your oldest and the harness fits just fine.

I am not saying if you should take your children on certain rides or not, everyone knows their own child, but please do not state that the harness will not fit properly as the reasoning. The height limit is 48", if your child is over that or equal I would guarantee that the harness will fit because Disney would never put someone in harms way like that.

As for the OP, I know what you are saying because this yr my ds (5) will be tall enough to ride Space Mtn, but I am unsure if I will let him on. I don't know how he will handle the dark and the fact that either parent can't sit right next to him has me a little concerned.

Also ds is well over 40", but has never riden ToT. It would be too intense for him. I think that dark could freak him out, so I have held off, probably will this year too.

I think it depends how old your kids are when they hit the limit. I personally wouldn't let kids go on most of those rides at 3. Like several of the posters, my kids are short. Both of my kids didn't hit 40 inches until they were 5 and I think that is a good age to start most of those rides. My dd is almost 8 and only 47 inches so she is probably not going to make RnRRC this trip which she really wants to ride (she's got 6 more weeks to grow an inch but I'm not planning on it). She's disappointed, but we tend to visit WDW every three years, and I have no problem making her wait til she's 11.

Thank you for all your responses. I'll check with their pedi at their next appointment as well. I worry most about whether they have enough neck support and such for the mini-coasters. After reading your responses, I feel much better. Thanks agian! :-)

I think if they are tall enough then let them ride. I was really nervous letting my 5 year old ride some of the rides. I really didn't want him to ride SM. But then I thought if it wasn't safe Disney wouldn't let them ride. So I let him and he loved it :) He rode all but two rides. He even liked Dinosaur. My two year old rode Goofy and loved it!

DD4 was 40 and 3/4 inches when we left for our trip. She rode Splash 5 times, BTMR 4 times, Test Track once, Soarin twice, ToT once. She loved them all except ToT. The funny thing is that she knows enough to brag that she went on ToT and leaves out the part that she didn't like it! I would let her go on any ride she met the physical restriction on because I believe they test the rides stringently and know they are safe for the stated height. If the kids wants to do it, and they meet the requirement, I'd let them try it!

First visit for our son - 3 years, 7 months
Height - 40" (he loved getting checked to make sure he was tall enough)
Weight - 29+/- lbs
Rode - Splash Mountain (too many times to count) A cast member gave us a pass good for 6 times through the fast pass line.
BTMR - loved it
TOT - didn't really like it, but tried it once. He didn't really understand that we were "dropping"
Test Track - loved it
Soarin' - Absolutely loved it

It really depends on the child. He is probably going to be 44" with his shoes on our next trip in 15 days. I don't think he's quite ready for Space Mountain, (or maybe I'm not ready for him to ride) but I'm thinking Expedition Everest is going to be a MUST. That is all he talks about.

When it comes to wondering if your child can ride, you are the only one who knows. Have a great trip! :surfweb:

DD was just 3 when we went last Oct and over 40 inches.

-Goofy's barnstormer-Loved it-wanted to ride in the front
-splash mountain-wanted to ride, but I was scared to let her The no seatbelt thing scared me-she still asks about it-I think we will let her this year
-kali -loved it and the poor kid was in the wet seat
-test track-loved it loved it loved it-wanted to be in front
-soarin'-loved it loved it loved it-wanted to be in front
-big thunder railroad-loved it loved it loved it-
-star tours-never made it there-we will try this year-I think she will like it
-body wars-never made it

TOT saw a preview and is already begging to go on it. The kid is fearless when it comes to drops and speed.

But she already refuses to get back on HM-has already agreed to baby swap-"I'll wait outside with Daddy and then Mommy"

Hey, I wanted to bring this thread back to life, and see what everyones thoughts are now on allowing kids to ride.

We've been eagerly waiting for DS to be tall enough to ride Goofy's Barnstormer. Last trip (October and December), he just missed the mark.

We will be at The World again in a few weeks, and DS will be 2 and 1/4 years old. . . too young for Goofy's Barnstormer? He's fearless, loves high speed sleding, big slides. . . thoughts on this??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter