Would the DDP have been better? - A Quick numbers analysis

DISbot

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I have gone back and forth on the math for the dining plan. 2 years ago I went in Feb on a solo trip with a stay, play, dine package, and it was nice, but seemed like way too much food (Standard DDP).

Last year, I went in Feb with family for the Princess rundisney weekend, and we didn't do the dining plan, but I had no estimate of costs as we all paid for different meals, and kind of just made it up as we went along.

For food & wine I was able to swing free dining (for myself and my boyfriend), and it was delicious, we loved snacking around the booths.

We just went again for 6 nights over the princess run disney weekend (his first 10k), without the dining plan, and I found myself constantly looking at prices and deciding if I was hungry or not (or if I could just pick off his plate). About two nights in I started wondering if the Standard Dining Plan would have been viable, or just how much money we would have thrown away on it...

I decided to share the outcomes with you, so anyone having the same conflicts may be able to glean some insight from this experiment.

The first thing I found in doing the math, is that we eat surprisingly close to the DDP typical expectations, as for 6 nights we ended up using 12 QS, 12 TS, and 17 Snacks (at least).

Prior to the trip I had made the following reservations:

Teppan Edo Lunch
Be Our Guest Lunch
Chefs de France Dinner (for 3 - with a friend)
Le Cellier Lunch

Last minute before our trip I was able to score a late night Beaches & Cream reservation that was added into the mix.

Day 1.

We arrive Thursday and after checking in to our room we headed straight for the rundisney expo (early afternoon). We decided to forgo food until we got to a park that afternoon (bad idea, we were both hangry when we hit MK).

Lunch was around 2pm at Cosmic Rays, always a favorite.

We got two burgers (one without the side, as a single serving of fries was enough for us, and I didn't need extra veggies this early in the trip...). This is where I discovered passing on the side doesn't save much at all off the cost, and didn't bother with it much of the rest of the week. I also tend to prefer water to soda, so that will be another factor coming in to play.

Total: 25.54
DDP: Would have been 2 QS Credits

Later in the evening, we stopped at the Columbia Harbor House for a quick drink - frozen lemonade was the drink of choice...it was more ice chunks than anything though and part of it was thrown out.

Total: 5.00
DDP: Would have been 1 Snack Credit

Since we were staying at the Yacht Club we swung over to the boardwalk for dinner before we crashed (I had to get up early for the 5k).

We got one of the specialty pizzas and one plain from the Pizza Window. This was probably the most disappointing meal of the trip. Would not recommend.

Total: 11.59
DDP: Would have been 2 QS Credits

Day 1 Summary:

4 QS, 1 Snack would have been used, nothing OOP, for $42.13
Analysis: Waaaaay under the ~120/night that the dining plan would have cost.

Day 2.

After the 5k, we went down to the Ale & Compass to grab a quick breakfast. I don't remember what we got, but it was some sandwich and a drink.

Total: 14.16
DDP: Would have been 1 QS Credit? (If it's not applicable, we would have gone somewhere else to eat about the same)

Today was an Epcot day, so we made our way to the international gateway and began wandering around. At some point we decided stopping in France for ice cream was a good idea. We each got a single-scoop ice cream, and it was a great snack.

Total: 9.99
DDP: Would have been 2 Snack Credits

We had a late lunch planned at Teppan Edo, so we mosied around the world showcase until we got to Japan.

We both got combination plates, he got a soda, and I had one of their cocktails.

Total: 69.95 DDP Eligible, 25.05 Ineligible (Tip/Alcohol) -> These are rough estimates, and are based off of the discounted price, as we had an AP for that discount, we wanted to see if forgoing the discount we would even come close. I may do the math off list price later if I have time.
DDP: Would have been 2 TS Credits

We ended the evening with a dip in the pool and grabbing a small bite at the Crew's Cup (not DDP eligible) before crashing for the 10k the next morning.

Total: 36.00
DDP: Ineligible, would be out of pocket.

Day 2 Summary:

1 QS, 2 Snack, 2 TS would have been used for 130.10, with an extra 61.05 OOP

Running Total:

5 QS, 3 Snack, 2 TS would have been used for 172.23, with an extra 61.05 OOP.
Maybe we will spend enough? This would be basically two nights ($240) on the plan, but 2TS and 1 Snack short...will we get to where it financially makes sense?

Day 3.

Got up way too early for the 10k, and the banana at the end of the race was priceless (not included in the DDP of course).

Snacked in the room on the race boxes and snacks I had brought with us for breakfast. Once we were moving again, we headed to the Magic Kingdom.

We had a lunch reservation at Be Our Guest - specifically so I could have the French Onion Soup and Strawberry Cupcake (both are to die for, totally recommend!). He got the Croque Monsieur with a drink and a dessert of some kind. Since we had pre-ordered online it was relatively painless to walk on in and bypass the order kiosks.

Total: 35.95
DDP: Would have been 1 QS and 3 Snacks

We were meeting up with a friend from Florida after lunch, and spent the afternoon in Magic Kingdom before heading over to Epcot.

In Epcot we had reservations at Chefs de France to take our friend out (on us). I got the Macaroni, he got the Duck, and our friend had the Chicken. We did only get one soda, and the others had waters. We also did not get desserts (we were fairly full and figured we would stop somewhere else if we wanted a snack later).

Total: 114.12
DDP: Would have been 3 TS for 95.12 with 19 OOP (estimated tip removal)

Day 3 Summary:

1 QS, 3 TS, 3 Snacks would have been used for 131.07, with an extra 19 OOP

Running Total:

6 QS, 6 Snacks, 5 TS would have been used for 303.30, with an extra 80.05 OOP

Day 4.

Day four was our Hollywood Studios day (after sleeping in). We again met up with our friend, and enjoyed Star Tours and the likes.

For lunch we hit up PizzeRizzo, for a meat pizza and a cheese pizza. I can't remember if they were the same as when it was toy story them, but they were fine - they're similar to the pizza hut personal pan pizzas, and they come with a salad.

Total: 28.93
DDP: Would have been 2 QS

That afternoon we relaxed in the room and pool, as the plan was to hit the boardwalk for the evening.

Got a drink at Hurricane Hanna's, alcoholic, so not covered by the plan.

Total 12.00
DDP: Not eligible

We wandered over to the boardwalk in the evening, and were able to get a seat at the bar in the Big River Grille to have some dinner to kick off the night. I think we both got burgers and an alcoholic beverage. We did finish by splitting a single dessert.

Total: 70
DDP: Would have been 2 TS for about 40 with 30 OOP (Rough estimates, missing the receipt - I also probably would have gotten a second dessert on the DDP)

We ended the evening at Abracadabar with some beverages

Total: 30
DDP: Not eligible

Day 4 Summary:
2 QS, 2TS would have been used for 68.93, with an extra 82.00 OOP

Running Total:
8 QS, 6 Snacks, 7 TS would have been used for 372.23, with an extra 162.05 OOP

Day 5.

This was our Animal Kingdom day, reaping the benefits of extra magic hours.

After riding DINOSAUR and exploring the parks, we hit up the Bakery Shop in Africa for some breakfast. We got one of the giant cinnamon rolls, as well as a breakfast omlette or whatever the offering is. They were both wonderful!

Total: 16.81
DDP: Would have been 1 QS for 7.56, with an extra 9.25 OOP because unfortunately the cinnamon roll doesn't qualify. This was one point where I was glad I wasn't forced to the dining plan, as it was delicious and really what I wanted that morning.

We had tired of Animal Kingdom by early afternoon and headed off to Disney Springs for some shopping. We grabbed lunch in Disney Springs at Portobello (which I almost forgot as it wasn't charged to the room!) He had the Penne Bolognese and I had the Margherita Pizza. It was utterly disappointing on my end, and not very impressive for him.

Total: ~32.00
DDP: Since I forgot to factor this in, we will be over by 2 TS, so I will count this as OOP. Smarter shuffling of credits may have made this a slightly better choice to count as a TS, but so be it.

After lunch we did stop in the Candy Cauldron for a snack. I got the Belle Cupcake, and it was fabulous - overdose of icing, moist yummy vanilla cupcake. He got something chocolate that I imagine was fine.

Total: 7.65
DDP: Would have been 2 Snacks for 7.65

Our day wasn't over, but it was clearly meant to be the day we bore of each location. We went and saw Moana, afterwards deciding to head over to Magic Kingdom.

While we hit up a few rides, we stopped in the Columbia Harbor House for dinner. We shared the Shrimp Mac & Cheese, paying for an extra drink to go with it.

Total: 23.82
DDP: Would have been 1 QS and 1 Snack for 23.82

We rounded out the evening back at the Crew's Cup Lounge for a few drinks around closing. The bartender was fabulous, and we got to see all the lock-up procedures for the place.

Total: 33
DDP: Not Eligible

Day 5 Summary:
2 QS and 2 Snacks would have been used for 39.03, with an extra 74.25 OOP

Running Total:
10 QS, 8 Snacks, 7 TS would have been used for 411.26, with an extra 236.3 OOP
At this point the DDP would have cost us about $640 for 5 nights, but we would have 2 Snacks, and 3 TS remaining...I find it hard to imagine that could total to near 228.74, but Le Cellier is still on the calendar...

I'm excited to see your final numbers. We are debating what to do for our upcoming trip.

This is fantastic, I really appreciate all the math. I too keep going back and forth on whether or not we "need" it. I think having it would totally change how and where we ate (especially for DH), but not having it, we wouldn't like look like we eat enough to warrant it

This is fantastic, I really appreciate all the math. I too keep going back and forth on whether or not we "need" it. I think having it would totally change how and where we ate (especially for DH), but not having it, we wouldn't like look like we eat enough to warrant it

Yep. I go back and forth and do the theoretical math, but it is never the same as while I'm there. At home I'll think I'll get steak every night, but in reality, by the second night I'm looking to mix it up and happy skipping some meals. One of the big things I found, was that when we don't "need" to eat everything off the plan we skip sodas and desserts more than I thought we would (not sure how much of that was admitting we weren't hungry or pinching pennies though...)

Day 6.

We started the day with a leisurely stroll through the international gateway, and hit up France for some breakfast. We had Le Cellier that afternoon, so the plan was just to roam the world showcase. We got a chocolate croissant and a mimosa (not included). They were fine, but nothing really to write home about.

Total: 11.56
DDP: Would have been 1 snack for $3.56, with $8 OOP

After exploring the world showcase we hit up Canada for our reservation at Le Cellier. We were one of the first people seated - you read about how small the restaurant is, but you don't realize it until you're actually sitting there. We were fortunate to have a corner table somewhat removed from everyone else, but the table was very small and we had to juggle some dishes - it didn't accommodate multiple drinks as well as dishes very well. It was interesting to see they used real fire in their candles - I guess that's what makes it a signature!

I really wanted to try multiple dishes and regrettably talked myself into the Prie Fixe menu, rather than the Filet. He got the Filet and a wine, I had the Cheddar Soup, Beef, and Some sort of cake with seeds in it, along with the dessert wine sampler. We also got truffle fries to share. The fries were amazing, the Filet was way better than the food and wine samples, totally amazing! The Beef was okay, and the soup wasn't any better or worse than the samplings you can get at food and wine. I would either spring for the soup as well as the Fillet next time, or bypass it and just get the well-known staples. The dessert also wasn't bad but wasn't great.

This is where the estimating has to come in. Assuming that the second dessert could have been swapped for the fries, I will assume that the DDP would have paid for all of the food, just not the alcohol.

Total: 177.00
DDP: Would have been 4 TS for about $117, with $60 OOP (Rough estimates based on the $20 dessert wine flight)

We went back to the room for a bit and then walked (or boated? I don't remember...) over to Hollywood Studios for the evening.

Neither of us was terribly hungry after Le Cellier, so we split a Chicken and Waffles order at the Backlot express. Personally this was great to split as it was the equivalent of a kids waffle with like 8 chicken nuggets. The food was standard Disney, which I happen to like, so it was great. This is also one of the few quick-services where you can fill your own Soda cup, which I enjoy because I like to mix and match. I would also guess this means it's one of the few with free refills maybe?

Total: 12.17
DDP: Would have been 1 QS for $12.17

We rounded out the night with a late-night stop at Beaches & Cream that I had been able to snag a few days before our trip. I figured it was a great way to spend the last night at Disney.
We split the Grilled Cheese & Soup, Got an order of fries, and a banana split.

Total: $27.50
DDP: Would have been 1 TS for $14.50, with $13 OOP (Banana Split and tip, assuming Fries could count as dessert)

Day 6 Summary:
1 QS, 5TS and 1 Snacks would have been used for 147.23, with an extra 81 OOP

Running Total:
11 QS, 9 Snacks, 12 TS would have been used for 558.49, with an extra 317.3 OOP

Day 7.

Today was our checkout day, and our chance to pick up a few more souvenirs. We started the end of our trip in Magic Kingdom, riding Buzz 3-4 times before the lines crept up...

As we were heading out of Magic Kingdom around 10-11am (we wanted to see the official Flower and Garden first day) we stopped in the Main Street Confectionery for some sweets.

Total: 8.50
DDP: Would have been 2 Snacks for $8.50

We took the boat to the TTC and monorail to Epcot. After hitting Soarin' again (I think) we started heading into the world showcase and did stop at one of the booths to try something. It was totally unmemorable and all I recall is cringing at the prices for little snacks and tastes, compared to with free dining in the fall where it was "which things do we want at this booth?". I definitely do not wing the food booths well. Maybe with a designated gift card I would be able to tour similar to having additional snack credits.

Total: 4.25
DDP: Would have been 1 Snack for $4.25

By this point we were both getting hangry because we weren't eating at all the booths like we had planned. I stopped in Germany for some of our favorites, but the line crawled on. By the time we got through it was pretty miserable and there was nowhere to sit. We got a Wurst, a Soda, a Water, Apple Strudel, and Black Forest Cake. We always love Germany so the food did good to help some.

Total: 24.24
DDP: Would have been 1 QS and 2 Snacks for $24.24

I also grabbed two snacks from Karamel Kuche - some caramel corn to take to the office (large), and a chocolate caramel square for us for later.

Were I on the dining plan, with how many snack credits we would have had, I probably would have gotten two small bags of caramel corn for the office instead of one large (not DDP eligible).

Total: 10.50
DDP: Would have been 1 Snack for $4.10, with $6.40 OOP

We didn't end up hitting any of the other booths - it seemed like a sadder version of Food & Wine. We did however stop at Ample Hills Creamery for some ice cream before catching the bus to the airport. I got a Scoop that was great and he had a Hard Root Beer Float.

Total: 18.10
DDP: Would have been 1 Snack for $7.70, with $10.40 OOP

Day 7 Summary:
1 QS and 5 Snacks would have been used for 40.29, with an extra 16.80 OOP

Running Total:
12 QS, 14 Snacks, 12 TS would have been used for 598.78, with an extra 334.10 OOP

Check back later for some juggling of the numbers, theoretical additional snacks to round out the costs, and final thoughts (knowing I have a 3-night trip with the deluxe plan on the calendar in april!).

Love this thread! I think once you get your final numbers/thoughts done then it will be such a great resource for people wondering if they should pay for the DDP or not.

Great job and thank you!!

It's so interesting to see the numbers - we did it the other way around - Bought the plan for convenience and piece of mind, but now as I am getting through my dining plan I'm doing a mini spreadsheet each day and will tally at the end to get a final total cost off and on the plan! It is an interesting process for sure!

Love this thread! I think once you get your final numbers/thoughts done then it will be such a great resource for people wondering if they should pay for the DDP or not.

Great job and thank you!!
Thanks! I know there is a lot of cross between people who use it for convenience and don't use it for convenience, and those who do and don't do the math. I find myself in a funny gray area where I see all the reasons, and waffle on what the final decision should be!

Thanks for breaking it down! I do this all the time in my head so its nice to see the numbers on paper.

Yep. I tried to do this my first trip with the DDP 2-3 years ago, but I didn't realize quick service and snack receipts are printed with zero balance on them, and didn't have the time to hunt everything down!

It's so interesting to see the numbers - we did it the other way around - Bought the plan for convenience and piece of mind, but now as I am getting through my dining plan I'm doing a mini spreadsheet each day and will tally at the end to get a final total cost off and on the plan! It is an interesting process for sure!

Yep! I've been lurking on your report and am really interested. I don't think I could do a dining plan for that many nights, when I've done it, it's just too much food!

Loving it so far! Thank you for doing this.

:welcome:

It depends if you eat a lot it's great. We only eat a few snacks and water. And do no quick service. So for us it is not worth it. We eat and drink as we go. Great break down! We did benefit from someone last trip who still had food credits left and decided to buy us a signature dinner! That was awesome

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter