Worst Ride Experience..I lost it on Mission Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did forget one rather stupid thing, also on Mission space, which I have no problems with usually. But the last time I rode it, I was talking with my three boys and not paying attention. When the front panel lowered toward me, I had my legs crossed and the weight of the panel caught on my knee. Well, my tennis shoes didn't slide, so my knee got stuck under the weight. I panicked. I thought I was going to break my stupid leg. I finally managed to shift myself to get the weight off my leg but not before I got a solid bruise. I figure I would have been the first broken bone injury on a simulator ride in history. And for the record, that front panel is seriously heavy.

I did forget one rather stupid thing, also on Mission space, which I have no problems with usually. But the last time I rode it, I was talking with my three boys and not paying attention. When the front panel lowered toward me, I had my legs crossed and the weight of the panel caught on my knee. Well, my tennis shoes didn't slide, so my knee got stuck under the weight. I panicked. I thought I was going to break my stupid leg. I finally managed to shift myself to get the weight off my leg but not before I got a solid bruise. I figure I would have been the first broken bone injury on a simulator ride in history. And for the record, that front panel is seriously heavy.
Important safety tip -- don't cross the legs.

Many years ago when my son was about 12, I came down with a fever while at the World. I lost a day in the room. The next day I was barely improved but didn't want to lose anymore time from our vacation. At Magic Kingdom, my son begged me to go on the Teacups. YES, I rode the Teacups with a tween and while I was sick. All I remember is his fiendish glee as he spun that cup round and round. Somehow I survived it.

I also got stuck on Space Mountain like a previous poster. But we were stuck there for about 45 minutes. Around the 40 minute mark I realized that I was trapped and began clawing at the bar like a caged animal. Luckily the CM came just then and released our car. It glided to the exit and I was set free. I thought I was going to chew my foot off for a minute there! I had never felt claustrophobic before that experience. But I do from time to time now.

Ok, this is embarrassing but here goes...last week we were in Epcot. DH and DS's love Mission Space. DD not so much. Her and I had not ridden it in years. This year she decided she wanted to give it another go. I remember not loving the experience (green) because tight spaces aren't my thing. While in line I kept hearing the warnings. DD now 11 was excited so I didn't give it too much thought. Until they shut the door on that tuna can :scared1::scared1:. What the heck was I thinking quickly enters my mind. DD is excitedly chirping away. 'Isn't this fun mom?' Oh yes I manage to eek out. Now my heart is racing and I can't catch my breath. That stupid air blowing in my face is not helping. :rotfl2:. I am in full blown panic attack, I can laugh now. I am on the end and gently rapping on the door. I am caught between not wanting to ruin DD's experience and not wanting an unsuspecting cast member to find my limp body at the end. When my knocks of terror went unnoticed I decided it best to clench my eyes shut, pray to the dear Lord for mercy and go to my happy place ( all the while answering my daughters million questions and hitting my button at the appropriate time). I'm proud to tell the tale- I lived through it and will never ride it again :rotfl: What was you're worst ride experience and why?

OH man, I am so sorry for your experience, but I can't help it, this gave a very funny visual and I sure had a hearty chuckle. You are a great story-teller!

My worst experience is also Mission Space but not because I don't enjoy the ride.

Only one of my kids will ride with me because my other kid and my husband throw up. On our last visit, it was just me and my husband so I had to ride with strangers each time I rode (three times). With all the warnings they were nervous by the time the ride started. One grabbed the barf bag but didn't have to use it and one bolted off the ride as soon as it was over.

It's a little like playing Russian roulette with puke!

Mission Space is definitely one of the more claustrophobia inducing rides anywhere for me. We ride it multiple times every trip since my daughter loves it (even the dreaded Orange), but it is one that I can easily pass up if afforded the opportunity to.

I will now happily pass by MS, thank you all so much! You've save hours of my vacation, I imagine!

One of the best threads ever! You all are fabulously funny storytellers!

I haven't ridden MS, but it sounds like a no no to me. Between the panic that gets me when I find myself in spaces where I don't have an exit and my tricky vagus nerve, I'll happily tool around the gift shop while the rest of my peeps try it out. The tuna can description of the capsule was all it took.

I have two, that are many years apart, neither of which are my experiences though.

First it was the mid 90's at Blizzard Beach. My mom and I decided to ride Teamboat Springs. There was a family of three in with us, a father and his two kids. We all got in, and settled, except my mom. She didn't have time to brace herself properly. Well, she kinda did. She had her foot braced against the fathers leg the entire ride. She hated it. She said she probably would have enjoyed it if she had gotten to sit properly. We joke to this day that the guy probably has a scar on his leg from her.

Next was in 2013. ToT. My wife, and two older sons went on, and I waited with (at the time) DS1. I waited and waited and waited. DS13 found me and said 'Mom got real sick.' So I went to find her, and she was laying in one of the alcoves in the exit, drenched in sweat, freezing and on fire at the same time. She ended up throwing up in one of the garbages there a couple of times. A passing CM gave us a couple of wash cloths so we could wet them for her. She ended up going to the infirmary as the rest of us wandered around, plans that I had for the day shot. She eventually made her way back to us, but she wasn't the same for the rest of the trip.

Come to find out, she was a couple of weeks pregnant. We lost the baby (not because of that) in December though.

It's weird my worst ride experiences weren't even on thrill rides it was on the first iteration of stitch the ride and honey I shrunkthe audience. On the stitch one when the restraints came down to simulate him jumping it bruised my shoulders it came down so hard and on the other my legs didnt reach the ground so i had them folded under the seat so when it dropped that was not very fun.

Since I know I'll lose it on some rides I don't even go near them, it sets me off though when rides get stuck, and the last time I was on ET i spent the entire time rather sure the ride was about to collapse under me.

Last edited:
For me it is a ride I lovingly refer to as Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death at DL's California Adventure. I am not a fan of ferris wheels in general, something about the combo of the height and the swinging motion. On this particular ride you get in a steel cage that is suspended to the wheel on a track so that as the ferris wheel moves the cage slides along the track and swings.

I did this ride with my DH, DS19 (at the time) and DD13. I had a full on panic attack and ended up in tears at the top of the ride. My family thought it was pretty funny. I will never ride that ride again! Just thinking about it makes me ill.

I have a freak out story for both DLR and WDW and Mickey's Wheel of Death is the West coast iteration. I knew I wouldn't like it, but my kids - ride wimps, relatively speaking - loved it and I thought perhaps the stories and videos I have seen were over-stated. Nope. I spent the entire ride with my head between my knees, eyes clenched shut, holding onto DH's hand so hard there were marks for days.

At WDW, it was Soarin'. Now I had/have ridden Soarin' before and since without problems, but this time I was 30 weeks pregnant and I think that must have been the difference. Just as the lights went out, I felt a panic and anxiety I have never experienced before and I started yelling STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP, LOL, and they let me get off. I still cringe with embarrassment thinking about it.

Sorry but I laughed. I love watching people walk off that ride with the look of horror on their face.

Personally, I don't like the Tea Cups at MK. Those spin too much for me and I quickly turn into the mentioned people with "the look of horror on my face".

For me it is a ride I lovingly refer to as Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death at DL's California Adventure. I am not a fan of ferris wheels in general, something about the combo of the height and the swinging motion. On this particular ride you get in a steel cage that is suspended to the wheel on a track so that as the ferris wheel moves the cage slides along the track and swings.

I did this ride with my DH, DS19 (at the time) and DD13. I had a full on panic attack and ended up in tears at the top of the ride. My family thought it was pretty funny. I will never ride that ride again! Just thinking about it makes me ill.

Ughhh this is mine, too. I haven't been scared of any Disney ride ever, I have no problem with heights or ferris wheels and it's hard to find a roller coaster i won't love. But we did a swinging car on the death wheel last year when I went because we thought the normal part of the ferris wheel would be too boring. The couple I was with had no problems, but I could NOT handle it. It wasn't so bad when the wheel was moving, but when we were rolling back and forth while the wheel was stopped for loading, I was terrified. I get panic attacks sometimes and the idea that I was going to have one in this cage above California Adventure didn't help my fear. Luckily the ride wasn't all that long and I managed to hold it off. But if I ever get back to DLR, I'll definitely be in a non-swinging car on that ferris wheel.

I don't have problems with roller coasters, I love MS, but there is not enough money in the world to make me go down on Summit Plummet... Summit Plummet just looks terrifying(don't like heights)
This! :thumbsup2 I love big coasters and mega rides; Six Flags, Cedar Point bring it on :hyper:. That being said, you won't get me on Summit Plummet :sad2: it looks terrifying :scared:. All other rides at WDW are pretty tame imo.

Last edited:
For me (and I'm almost embarrassed/ashamed to admit this) I lost it on Soarin'. I rode it once in 2010 and hated it. A few trips later and DH convinced me to ride it again. I sat in the seat, buckled up and lost it. Full blown panic complete with tears. Luckily one of the CMs let me off before the ride began. In my rush to exit I left my camera under the seat and shouted for DH to get it after the ride ended.

I LOVE roller coasters (especially RNR) but can't do the tight spaces like MS. I've ridden the green side and the orange sides once each, and though I didn't absolutely panic, I don't plan to ride it again. I don't like elevators (anywhere!) and have ridden Tower of Terror once....didn't all out panic, but don't plan to ride that again either.

When I was a teenager, I nearly blacked out on 20,000 Leagues. No one but my dad knew I was having trouble - he kept telling me to look out the port hole so I could see that we weren't really under water. There is a naval exhibit here (Patriots Point), and I can't make myself go into the submarine, even though it is at the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter