Words Rarely Heard Anymore

Did anyone mention pulchritudinous yet? It means pretty! It's a fun word that my 12 yo dd loves to say and uses all the time since she learned it!

Maybe your 96 year old grandmother or aunt still says them.

Davenport- sofa
Oleo-margarine
Dungarees-blue jeans
Radar Range-microwave oven
TV Dinners-frozen prepared meals
Clam Diggers-capri length pants. Not to be confused with floods or pedal pushers.
Wastepaper Basket-small trash can for inside the home
Galoshes-boots with buckles worn over shoes in rainy or snowy weather. The low cut version is called rubbers. (Tee hee hee)

Referring to a refrigerator by its brand name-put the oleo back in the Kelvinator (or Fridgidare)
Davenport- My grandmother used to say that all the time. Figured out it meant couch, but being me I had to look it up and find out why. If anybody cares, Davenport was a furniture line made by a company in Mass I think. Anyway, people started using it to mean any sofa kind of like Xerox for a copy machine or Kleenex for tissues.
She used to say Oleo
I still say TV dinners.

Maybe your 96 year old grandmother or aunt still says them.

Davenport- sofa
Oleo-margarine
Dungarees-blue jeans
Radar Range-microwave oven
TV Dinners-frozen prepared meals
Clam Diggers-capri length pants. Not to be confused with floods or pedal pushers.
Wastepaper Basket-small trash can for inside the home
Galoshes-boots with buckles worn over shoes in rainy or snowy weather. The low cut version is called rubbers. (Tee hee hee)

Referring to a refrigerator by its brand name-put the oleo back in the Kelvinator (or Fridgidare)

The davenport!!!

My grandparents had one on the front porch. Oh, the memories!!

My grandparents said -

okree for okra
mynes for mayo
lost bread for french toast

My grandmother made the best fried okree and lost bread. I always say that when it is my time I hope she meets me in heaven with some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter