Words Rarely Heard Anymore

We say"behoove" quite a bit in my family. :)

And speaking of "trousers", one thing I just realized that I personally don't hear as often as I used to is the word "slacks". It seems like when I was a child I heard a lot more variations of the word "pants" than I do now. And my dad also still says dungarees for jeans. :)

:rotfl2:Or, put another way, it will rankle us geezers until we’re all dead and then it will be “no problem”. ;)
:lmao:yes put bluntly :goodvibes
But if you’ve been following other recent threads you’ll know that as an X’er I’m used to nobody really caring what I think anyway.
Ah yes the generational battle royale has left the gen X out in the cold (though you're probably don't mind being left out of those spats lol)

My grandmother would call a couch a Davenport (which was mentioned upthread), but also a divan (I think that’s how it’s spelled).

Chesterfield

it was a British/Canadian term,
I think in Canada it’s not as common anymore. We say couch.

oh and we tend to say runners here not sneakers.
Yes, and my dear Grandfather called Canada "The Dominion" until the day he died. :goodvibes

:lmao:yes put bluntly :goodvibes
Ah yes the generational battle royale has left the gen X out in the cold (though you're probably don't mind being left out of those spats lol)
OMG, after like 2 posts I started skipping. I'm just happy with an acknowledgement, my expectation bar for society is low LOL.

Word Contributions:
Slacks
Beau
Ratting
Updo
UHF

Last edited:
With all due respect it's quite well know why the phrase aggravates for the most part older generation when the younger generation says it.
This old geezer would love to be enlightened, because the "reasons" I've read on a quick Google search have nothing to do with my reasoning. As @ronandannette said, they're convoluted explanations of somebody trying to guess their way into my brain, and they are nowhere close...at least the stuff I've read.

I say "Thank you" because I really appreciate whatever the person did for me -- even if it is a minor thing. It's not a meaningless gesture; I was taught that it was just good manners in many situations. And I was also taught that the good manners response was like "You're welcome," or something similar. But I'm not "offended" by "no problem."

The main difference I see between "My Pleasure" and other more formal acknowledgments is the venue. I expect "no problem" at McDonalds, and am pleasantly surprised by "My pleasure" at Chick-fil-A. I expect "My pleasure" at Seasons 52 because it's a bit higher class establishment.

This old geezer would love to be enlightened, because the "reasons" I've read on a quick Google search have nothing to do with my reasoning. They're somebody trying to guess their way into my brain, and they are nowhere close...at least the stuff I've read.

I say "Thank you" because I really appreciate whatever the person did for me -- even if it is a minor thing. It's not a meaningless gesture; I was taught that it was just good manners in many situations. And I was also taught that the good manners response was like "You're welcome," or something similar. But I'm not "offended" by "no problem."

The main difference I see between "My Pleasure" and other more formal acknowledgments is the venue. I expect "no problem" at McDonalds, and am pleasantly surprised by "My pleasure" at Chick-fil-A. I expect "My pleasure" at Seasons 52 because it's a bit higher class establishment.
If you've already looked on the internet and none of those are to your liking won't matter what little 'ole me on the DIS will say. I think a few other posters have given explanations so not entirely sure what else I can say. And if none of those reasons match yours then count yourself as an outlier :teeth: for why you don't like it and favor something else.

**Apologies but the thread already seems to have been taken over enough with it :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter