Without telling your age, what is something from your childhood that kids today wouldn't know about?

Rotary phones
TV stations did not stay on all night. On some the National Anthem was played at midnight or 1 am and the station went off the air.
Record albums and record players
Romper Room, Bozo the Clown, Captain Kangaroo
The Monkees, Beatles, Dave Clark 5 etc.

I still have an antenna. Comes in handy when weather cuts the satellite signal. I may get fewer channels on the antenna, but in a pinch, it’s a good backup.

My first thought was party line phones. Not to be confused with a 1-800 number to call to be part of the “party”, which kids might also be unaware of, but multiple people sharing one phone line. When one house got a call, all the phones would ring, and you could listen in to all the conversations. My grandparents had one to save money, but all bets were off when a squirrel chewed through the line.

Floppy Disk
My era= computer data storage device
Today's era= fabric or flexible frisbee

#
My era= pound sign
(see also: rotary or push button phones, actually talking over said communication medium)
Today's era= hashtag
(see also: tweeting/texting as communication medium)

Saturday Morning Cartoons!
My era= a sacred time of the week to have at least 2-3 hours of animated programming and sometimes a special breakfast-treat like choc.chip pancakes
Today's era= ?What's a Saturday Morning cartoon? Is Saturday Morning a new anime series?

Last edited:
When TV stations signed off for the night.
ugh...remember it was kinda depressing those nights I couldn't sleep...knowing that was it...

S&H green stamps.
Still remember nights sticking all those stamps into the books and then wandering through the aisles with my mom, books in hand to see what bounty we could score. The store was right next door to a publix, I remember (where we earned all those stamps.) lol forgot all about those green stamps.

I remember when the library would actually stamp the card in the book to tell you when it was due and the card catalog that told you the book's call number/location in the library. I also remember using microfiche for school research papers. It's amazing how much that has all changed.

ETA - Jinx shh!

I remember when the library would actually stamp the card in the book to tell you when it was due and the card catalog that told you the book's call number/location in the library. I also remember using microfiche for school research papers. It's amazing how much that has all changed.

ETA - Jinx shh!
Remember when you couldn't take the research books out, so you had to pay to make a bunch of copies?

I also remember using microfiche for school research papers.
Remember when you couldn't take the research books out, so you had to pay to make a bunch of copies?

I actually remember handwriting quotes on index cards!

Then went you went to write the paper, spreading them all out all over the floor, rearranging them into the order you liked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter