With so many closings,what am I paying for?

I have a full freight trip booked for the second week of May. No discounts have been announced for that timeframe yet. If there are discounts to be had, they probably won't be announced until after Christmas. I want to be able to book ADRs more than 180 days out...I'm going to try for BOG on the 4th day of the trip. I had a budget in mind and found a room I'm happy with at that price point. If a discount comes out later, that's a bonus. Also, there are some rooms/resorts which are very seldom included in the discounts (POFQ and AOA LM rooms come to mind). If you want those rooms, you pay full price.

While I understand OP's frustration, Disney does have a lot to offer, even with some things closed. Try to stay positive OP! I'm sure there is still more to do at Disney than you can fit into an entire trip!

You have a full price trip booked anticipating discounts. The question is will you go if the discounts are not applied? That's what I mean in regards to full price trips. I won't. For me it takes the costs over my budget. Others do. And that's okay, but you ( in general you) cannot come back later and complain that you are paying a full ride when you knew that.

Sorry, but that does sound brash.

Well it certainly wasn't intended. If I go to a steakhouse and order an expensive steak and they don't cook it up to my satisfaction, I'm sending it back.
I understand where you're coming from—and I agree, the kids would be heartbroken. BUT, if you're not getting the full value you believe you deserve you paid for, you send it back.

I think people often forget that Disney is crazy expensive. Some people only get one shot to go. I'm extremely fortunate to get to go annually. I'm a huge RnR fan and Thunder Mountain Fan. I don't care for DINOSAUR, but if they went and closed, say, Tower of Terror, it may be enough for me to say "this is no longer worth what I paid. I'm gonna cancel and go back when everything is up and running."

You have a full price trip booked anticipating discounts. The question is will you go if the discounts are not applied? That's what I mean in regards to full price trips. I won't. For me it takes the costs over my budget. Others do. And that's okay, but you ( in general you) cannot come back later and complain that you are paying a full ride when you knew that.

That's the complete opposite of what my post says. I said I found a room at a price point I'm happy with and if a discount comes out later, that's a bonus. I was responding to why some folks might have a full freight package.

Since I have a room within my budget, yes I will go if no discounts come out.

I should have also mentioned that several room categories at the resort I want are already gone for the week I'm going, and standard view was already gone for the week I was going to go, so I booked for the next week instead. I'd rather pay full price than not get to stay there at all.

Not really.
As a child my parents had to cancel last minute.
Was I upset? Yes, but got over it.
My sister's coworker just had to tell her kids they coudln't go last week because SWA cancelled flights to and from MCO for several days.
Things happen. Kids are resilient.

Well, I'm all for building resilient kids and teaching them to weather the pitfalls in life.

I just think most people would prefer not use a Disney trip as one of those lessons unless something unforeseeable happened like the cancelled flights you experienced.

Well, I'm all for building resilient kids and teaching them to weather the pitfalls in life.

I just think most people would prefer not use a Disney trip as one of those lessons unless something unforeseeable happened like the cancelled flights you experienced.

Oh I don't think people should use a Disney trip as that lesson either unless it is beyond their control.
I just don't think that kids should be an excuse to say that you're stuck going.
If you no longer find the value in a Disney trip then don't keep going.
If you keep going then you have no complaining rights in my opinion.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now Star Wars fireworks will be gone for my trip. As I posted in another thread, I'm done. No, I'm not cancelling this trip. I've made reservations to kennel my dog, I have non-refundable plane tickets, tickets are bought, I have paid the full balance on my room, and my partner and I have requested the time off and been approved. After all the hours I've put in planning this trip, damnit, we're going. But no more. I really couldn't care less about Avatar. I WILL go back and see Star Wars at some point, when it's open, but I'm going to be in no hurry. I'm not recommending Disney to friends and family anymore. I'm not helping plan anyone's trips anymore. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. I feel your pain, OP.

I reached this point a few years ago and haven't been back. Rented my DVC points for a few years and then recently closed on the sale of them. I hang around on this board now for the community, the info on cruises, and a few other things.

However the above is why you will find that most on here are going to apologize for disney and stick with them. Many people if they reach the breaking point that you just did they stop coming to the boards. People wonder why there aren'tmore complaints and so many forgive disney for everything? Its because most people fall into one of three categories

1) Still love disney, still see value. They aren't happy with everything but are still at a point where they think disney is a good value dispite what is going on at the moment.

2) Are in that fustrated mid stage where they complain but are still going to go.

3) have taken their last trip and given up. Don't plan to go back for years if they ever do.

The thing is most of the people in category 3 stopped signing in.

I think the point is that the closures the OP is unhappy about were not announced before they booked. The latest in a long line was just announced yesterday I believe.
The sad thing about the news from yesterday is Disney still hasn't announced the Dinosaur refurb extension. People's FP+ reservations were just canceled, but the info from Disney on all the refurb pages still shows it re-opening next week.

The sad thing about the news from yesterday is Disney still hasn't announced the Dinosaur refurb extension. People's FP+ reservations were just canceled, but the info from Disney on all the refurb pages still shows it re-opening next week.

That's really poor show.

If I go to a steakhouse and order an expensive steak and they don't cook it up to my satisfaction, I'm sending it back.
Now imagine you were told you could send it back but you would have to wait until your next visit to get another steak cooked properly. You might think twice about sending it back if you had made reservations at the restaurant 6 months ago, couldn't get reservations for at least another 6 months, and couldn't get a refund. Then you might just eat it as is. At least then you're not hungry and you don't lose your money.

Now imagine you were told you could send it back but you would have to wait until your next visit to get another steak cooked properly. You might think twice about sending it back if you had made reservations at the restaurant 6 months ago, couldn't get reservations for at least another 6 months, and couldn't get a refund. Then you might just eat it as is. At least then you're not hungry and you don't lose your money.

Okay, true. I see your point.

Well, then, OP, I may as well offer some advice.

Here's one suggestion. Would you consider cutting down on your days in Disney Parks and take a cab over to Universal for a day or two? I know it'd be more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things, you're already spending a ton of money. It sounds like you're a roller coaster person, so maybe go to Universal and get your coaster fix, go on Jurassic Park for your Dinosaur fix, etc. May not be the most popular opinion, but just an idea.

Otherwise, I know it stinks. It really does and while my comments may have sounded insensitive, do know that I feel bad. I can totally understand where you're coming from and I apologize for the combative tone. Maybe you make this trip an unconventional one? You know my favorite night from my last trip? Sitting in the outdoor area of Trader Sams sipping a drink and talking with my family. On the bright side, the lack of rides will give you more time to explore: to see all of Disney Springs; to spend a little more time sitting at your favorite TS rather than rushing off for your next FP+; to really stop and smell the roses and appreciate the theming in the lands.

You'll be there while it's decorated for Halloween, it sounds like. Go see the Halloween decor. Go on a monorail crawl - either alcohol or snacks! It's certainly not a good thing, but you can definitely make the best of it!

I'm sorry for the timing on this and I understand your frustration.

But one of the things I love about returning to WDW is having a different experience each time, because there is SO much to do!! Some of my best experiences have come by surprise because original plans fell through, or whoever I was traveling with had a different agenda than my normal WDW routine, and I ended up having great NEW experiences.

If it were me, for every attraction that is closed, I would identify TWO things (experiences, attractions, shows, characters, snacks, etc) that you've never done or haven't visited in a while, and deliberately put those on your must-do list. Make this trip your "Try Something New Each Day" trip!

I don't want to minimize your feelings because I do understand where you are coming from. But there is plenty of magic to fill up your trip, to be sure!

Edited to add: If you are really after thrills, I agree with other posters who have suggested looking into visiting Universal for a day. I still think WDW is a far superior experience, even with current closings, but Universal has some excellent thrill-rides and the Harry Potter sections are truly amazing.

You know my favorite night from my last trip? Sitting in the outdoor area of Trader Sams sipping a drink and talking with my family. On the bright side, the lack of rides will give you more time to explore: to see all of Disney Springs; to spend a little more time sitting at your favorite TS rather than rushing off for your next FP+; to really stop and smell the roses and appreciate the theming in the lands.
I absolutely agree with this. As much as we love the rides, most of our favorite moments from our trips have been during times when we slowed down and spent time talking, enjoying different areas, and just relaxing. Obviously that won't be true of everyone, but it's worth considering, since we never would have expected those to be the highlights of our trips.

Op I get what you're saying and it is frustrating. But, you have to understand that you have one of three choices atm

1. You can let these closures cause you to cancel your vacation and steal your joy.

2. You can go on vacation and complain about it the whole time and let this situation steal your joy.

3. You can realize how lucky you are that these complaints are the biggest worries you posess. People in foreign countries worrry about food to eat, a place to sleep, how to keep their family warm. Meanwhile you're over here complaining about two or 4 attractions at a theme park. In the bigger picture of things these feelings aren't truly worth it. So you share your joy with everyone around you and enjoy your vacation. I can only hope you choose option #3

Is Dinosaur really considered a headliner? I thought that Safari and Everest and Lion King Show were the headliners at AK?

All that being said - I do feel a little bad for the folks that planned a trip over election week/Veterans Day/jersey week with NO fireworks at all at DHS and mostly parties at MK...but I am hoping they are the lucky ones that FINALLY get ROL!!

None the less - I feel if my families trip had been that week instead of Columbus Day we still would have managed with 1-2 rides/attractions per park being down!

We always go during non peak seasons, so something is always closed. But (and I've never really kept track) this does sound like a lot. The DVC resorts are having a ton of work done too. Last trip we stayed at three resorts and for all three, we got the dreaded letter. I'm wondering if Disney is expecting a banner year when avatar land opens and they are trying to get a jump of repairs.

By the way, we will be there for part of Jersey week. New time frame for us.

I absolutely agree with this. As much as we love the rides, most of our favorite moments from our trips have been during times when we slowed down and spent time talking, enjoying different areas, and just relaxing. Obviously that won't be true of everyone, but it's worth considering, since we never would have expected those to be the highlights of our trips.
Isn't that true on every vacation regardless of the destination?

I just remember when planning a WDW vacation was fun and filled with anticipation. You'd book a few ADR's and then daydream about the vacation and what you were going to see and do. IMO, that's no longer the case: you book ADR's 6 months out and then when you return to book FP+'s you experience the first disappointments when you can't get the FP+ on the day or time you wanted, or even not at all.

This may seem trivial to some, but if you are planning to be in the parks in the morning and you have a hard to get lunch ADR, but the FP+ is for 7pm. It's disappointing. So then you readjust your expectations and make some decisions about what is most important to you and your family. Then the announcements for FP+ and fireworks cancellations come from Disney and it's more disappointment.

I used to be really excited about visiting WDW and the anticipation of an upcoming trip was half the fun. But nowadays, I learn what we won't be able to enjoy prior to our trip even starting, and it is a real buzz kill.

I reached this point a few years ago and haven't been back. Rented my DVC points for a few years and then recently closed on the sale of them. I hang around on this board now for the community, the info on cruises, and a few other things.

However the above is why you will find that most on here are going to apologize for disney and stick with them. Many people if they reach the breaking point that you just did they stop coming to the boards. People wonder why there aren'tmore complaints and so many forgive disney for everything? Its because most people fall into one of three categories

1) Still love disney, still see value. They aren't happy with everything but are still at a point where they think disney is a good value dispite what is going on at the moment.

2) Are in that fustrated mid stage where they complain but are still going to go.

3) have taken their last trip and given up. Don't plan to go back for years if they ever do.

The thing is most of the people in category 3 stopped signing in.

This.....

Many many Disney Apologists on DISBOARDS...sad to say there are alot who make money off this site as "travel consultants" or travel agents.

I might be falling into category #2. I LOVE all thing Disney...but the park(s) are obviously being managed in a very different way that say 5 years ago. (and not in a good way). Capacity Scaling is the sure sign of a "stock market management" approach, where the quarter revenue is all that matters....guest satisfaction is second to that. No one wil care until a few years down the road where people are priced out and those that can afford it expect a much higher level of service than whats being offered.

Anyone who says different has something to sell...or is still looking at the parks with jaded eyes.

This.....

Many many Disney Apologists on DISBOARDS...sad to say there are alot who make money off this site as "travel consultants" or travel agents.

I might be falling into category #2. I LOVE all thing Disney...but the park(s) are obviously being managed in a very different way that say 5 years ago. (and not in a good way). Capacity Scaling is the sure sign of a "stock market management" approach, where the quarter revenue is all that matters....guest satisfaction is second to that. No one wil care until a few years down the road where people are priced out and those that can afford it expect a much higher level of service than whats being offered.

Anyone who says different has something to sell...or is still looking at the parks with jaded eyes.

Oh, I totally agree. I do tend to be an apologist. I turn a blind eye to many things, such as closures. I also have the luxury of going to Disney during Xmas, when they usually have it in top condition... but this year should be interesting with the construction and lack of Osborne Lights.

Last year was a bit of an eye opener. I mean, look, I love food. LOVE it. And with so much of Disney's food falling into the nostalgia category, I go and eat my face off. I like just being away for Christmas and being in Disney is an added perk. But in the past few years we have noticed dips in the level of employees they hire. It used to take a special kind of person to work at Disney. I don't quite know how to explain it. They were almost one of those "too good to be true" people. I played high school football with someone like that. The kid biked across the country, was always helping others. His smile lit up a room with his positivity. He was a good person. Coincidentally, he worked the Disney intern program.

Last trip, we had an extremely rude maid. We stayed at POFQ and the transportation - for the first time ever - was a mess. We complained and the CM we spoke to made it seem as though "we're doing all we could, if you miss the bus just go out 15 minutes earlier next time." We were all but done with Disney and figured we needed some time off. So we wrote an email and boom... we get called by a CM (much like the above) who comps us park tickets and 2 nights stay. And we're immediately sucked back in.

But seriously. I get it. I think Disney needs a reminder of how awesome it used to be. Having done case studies on Operations in college (before I sold my soul to advertising) I learned about the inner workings. Any successful business, like Disney, that is known for their customer service usually had higher ups who loved what they did. It stems from the top down so obviously there's some ******* on the managerial or board of directors level. Something isn't meshing the way it used to and the quantity is overriding the quality there. At least from the service standpoint. Just my 2 cents.

That's always why I love the DisUnplugged Podcast. I run my own podcast and I do tend to glorify things a bit. A lot of podcasts do. Pete and the gang always tell it like it is. If they love something at Disney, they praise it. Give credit where due. If they don't like something, they'll call it out. They're transparent and I love them for it.

Oh, I totally agree. I do tend to be an apologist. I turn a blind eye to many things, such as closures. I also have the luxury of going to Disney during Xmas, when they usually have it in top condition... but this year should be interesting with the construction and lack of Osborne Lights.

Last year was a bit of an eye opener. I mean, look, I love food. LOVE it. And with so much of Disney's food falling into the nostalgia category, I go and eat my face off. I like just being away for Christmas and being in Disney is an added perk. But in the past few years we have noticed dips in the level of employees they hire. It used to take a special kind of person to work at Disney. I don't quite know how to explain it. They were almost one of those "too good to be true" people. I played high school football with someone like that. The kid biked across the country, was always helping others. His smile lit up a room with his positivity. He was a good person. Coincidentally, he worked the Disney intern program.

Last trip, we had an extremely rude maid. We stayed at POFQ and the transportation - for the first time ever - was a mess. We complained and the CM we spoke to made it seem as though "we're doing all we could, if you miss the bus just go out 15 minutes earlier next time." We were all but done with Disney and figured we needed some time off. So we wrote an email and boom... we get called by a CM (much like the above) who comps us park tickets and 2 nights stay. And we're immediately sucked back in.

But seriously. I get it. I think Disney needs a reminder of how awesome it used to be. Having done case studies on Operations in college (before I sold my soul to advertising) I learned about the inner workings. Any successful business, like Disney, that is known for their customer service usually had higher ups who loved what they did. It stems from the top down so obviously there's some ******* on the managerial or board of directors level. Something isn't meshing the way it used to and the quantity is overriding the quality there. At least from the service standpoint. Just my 2 cents.

That's always why I love the DisUnplugged Podcast. I run my own podcast and I do tend to glorify things a bit. A lot of podcasts do. Pete and the gang always tell it like it is. If they love something at Disney, they praise it. Give credit where due. If they don't like something, they'll call it out. They're transparent and I love them for it.

EXCELLENT post. This seems to be happening in alot of service based industries...

Spot on...Cheers!!!...Best post on Dis in a while. Too bad they are in damage control rather than be the best straight out.

Our company also prides itself on customer service, but has cut staffing (recruit anyone so long as they do not, have to pay full time benefits). This has led to a corporate mindset that if something goes wrong....due to the chronic mis-management.....they buy the customer off..with gift cards and free stuff.

This leads to zero accountability for the actual problem of narrow sighted "quarter earning based" management.....and breed customers that expect to be paid for inconvenience and disappointment....its a vicious cycle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter