With so many closings,what am I paying for?

PeterP

Earning My Ears
Visiting at the end of this month. As was the case many times before, paying full freight, including for deluxe resort accommodations. Today we receive notice that, on top of everything else, our Dinosaur fast passes are replaced. Thus, a given snapshot of our all-in Disney vacation most likely will reflect (1) half of Hollywood Studios closed; (2) Thunder Mountain closed; (3) Rock-n-Roller Coaster closed; and (4) Dinosaur closed. Not a single concessions by Disney, even though all of this is down. What, exactly, are we paying for? And do they think that biting the hand that feeds (big-time) is good business practice?

Two words: extra Muppets

Joking aside, I know what you're saying. I have to wonder if they forecast greater crowds than they received in September, and is that why they didn't do any of these refurbs then? From what I have seen, October attendance seems to be higher, if not year over year, at least from month to month.

You're hitting the parks at a really unfortunate time. My friend is heading there the same time. By the time they added MSEP and Stitch to the "closed" list she was just as frustrated as you. I'm sure she'll have fun once she gets there, but her anticipation has not been anything like it has been on previous trips.

In a way, you are not paying " full freight" as you say since resort rooms are priced by season even if discounts are not given. That said, only you can decide if the price is worth it to you. I usually travel to Orlando at the end of October and do notice seasonal and refurb closings. It has been 8 years since I rode the rails at MK. If you go back to your plans, I'm sure you will find plenty to do. Stay positive, adjust expectations and focus on what is still open.

OP.. Yes quite frustrating to go to Disney and be met with closures and rehabs ( there is a list in advance to mostly help with planning) I understand..and to then be faced with Long wait times or be blocked out totally from some top rides can be even more frustrating.
I think Disney marketing has made us believe it's all Magical and wonderful...building it up ..giving these expectations that can often fall flat. I stand by what I said before...I really think people have To see the "new" reality. to know they may not get on rides on a particular day or even a particular trip and be happy with that or visit during a much less busy time ( and those days are disappearing as well).
I really Love Disney but the new FP system, Increased pricing and so many overall closures and have caused us to not renew our AP. :(. But I hope to return when so new areas/rides are open.
So, I guess your hard earned money is still getting you to the Happiest Place on Earth...where dreams may still come true...so make the very best of it and try to enjoy the escape from the daily grind. Pixie dust ur way!

Some of Disney's announcements come long after commitments have been made and money spent -- in some cases (like today, for instance) less than two weeks before the trip. Thus, statements such as "Go somewhere else" do not account for the reality of the situation. If all of the information were available when the plans were made, it would be different.

We were there the last week in September. We loved Hollywood studios so much we added an extra day there unexpectantly. RnR coaster was great but we spent only a fraction of our time there. We were able to ride it 2x-- at RD and FP. But we were done within 30 min and had the rest of the available park to enjoy. However, the entire day was great!!! Star Wars show was a highlight of the trip!
We had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back in 2-3 years. We just had fun as a family while waiting/eating/riding/meeting characters. Just so much fun! And that includes my husband, who has never liked Disney movies.
I hope you enjoy your trip and find as much magic as we did!

In a way, you are not paying " full freight" as you say since resort rooms are priced by season even if discounts are not given. That said, only you can decide if the price is worth it to you. I usually travel to Orlando at the end of October and do notice seasonal and refurb closings. It has been 8 years since I rode the rails at MK. If you go back to your plans, I'm sure you will find plenty to do. Stay positive, adjust expectations and focus on what is still open.

Not everyone stays onsite.

Astro Orbiter: 1 minute 30 seconds
Barnstormer: 1 minute 3 seconds
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: 4 minutes 3 seconds
Carousel of Progress: 20 minutes 45 seconds
Country Bear Jamboree: 12 minutes
Dumbo the Flying Elephant: 1 minute 30 seconds
Enchanted Tiki Room: 10 minutes
Hall of Presidents: 22 minutes 48 seconds
Haunted Mansion: 7 minutes 30 seconds
"it's a small world": 10 minutes 30 seconds
Jungle Cruise: 9 minutes 5 seconds
Liberty Square Riverboat: 12 minutes 45 seconds
Mad Tea Party: 1 minute 30 seconds
Magic Carpets of Aladdin: 1 minute 30 seconds
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: 3 minutes 8 seconds
Mickey's PhilharMagic: 12 minutes
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor: 11 minutes
Peter Pan's Flight: 2 minutes 45 seconds
Pirates of the Caribbean: 8 minutes 30 seconds
Prince Charminng's Royal Carrousel: 2 minutes
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 2 minutes 30 seconds
Space Mountain: 2 minutes 30 seconds
Splash Mountain: 11 minutes
Stitch's Great Escape: 15 minutes
Swiss Family Treehouse: 13 minutes 5 seconds
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway: 4 minutes 45 seconds
Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover: 10 minutes 4 seconds
Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid: 6 minutes 15 seconds
Walt Disney Railroad: 20 minutes

American Adventure: 28 minutes 30 seconds
Circle of Life: 19 minutes 20 seconds
Universe of Energy: 45 minutes
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros: 8 minutes 7 seconds
Impressions de France: 18 minutes
Journey into Imagination with Figment: 11 minutes
Living with the Land: 13 minutes 50 seconds
Mission: SPACE: 5 minutes 38 seconds
O Canada!: 18 minutes
Reflections of China: 12 minutes 30 seconds
Frozen Ever After
The Seas with Nemo and Friends: 4 minutes
Soarin': 5 minutes
Spaceship Earth: 15 minutes
Test Track: 4 minutes

Beauty and the Beast Stage Show: 30 minutes
Great Movie Ride: 18 minutes 44 seconds
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular: 30 minutes
Muppet Vision 3-D: 17 minutes
Disney Junior - Live on Stage: 20 minutes
Star Tours: 5 minutes
Toy Story Midway Mania: 8 minutes
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: 5 minutes
Voyage of the Little Mermaid: 14 minutes 30 seconds

Dinosaur: 3 minutes 10 seconds
Expedition Everest: 2 minutes 51 seconds
Festival of the Lion King: 30 minutes
Finding Nemo - The Musical: 30 minutes
Flights of Wonder: 25 minutes
It's Tough to be a Bug: 8 minutes
Kali River Rapids: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Kilimanjaro Safari: 18 minutes 30 seconds
Primeval Whirl: 1 minute 10 seconds
TriceraTop Spin: 1 minute 30 seconds

i could relate to how you are feeling. leaving tomorrow, put the dog in the kennel, and got the email about no dinosaur, and a few days ago I discovered Swiss tree is still not ready, which my boys would have loved and I regret not going to WDW like in early December instead. chin up and we are still going to the happiest place on earth and going to just make the best of it with many many other attractions.

Visiting at the end of this month. As was the case many times before, paying full freight, including for deluxe resort accommodations. Today we receive notice that, on top of everything else, our Dinosaur fast passes are replaced. Thus, a given snapshot of our all-in Disney vacation most likely will reflect (1) half of Hollywood Studios closed; (2) Thunder Mountain closed; (3) Rock-n-Roller Coaster closed; and (4) Dinosaur closed. Not a single concessions by Disney, even though all of this is down. What, exactly, are we paying for? And do they think that biting the hand that feeds (big-time) is good business practice?

So you continue to make the choice of paying "full freight"? There must be something you think is worth it if you continue to do it when you don't really have too.

So you continue to make the choice of paying "full freight"? There must be something you think is worth it if you continue to do it when you don't really have too.

That might be true. Or maybe they told their kids months ago about the trip and can't pull back now. Or maybe they have non refundable park tickets and plane tickets already?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter