With Brazils economy in the tanks, will crowds drop?

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
Title says it all. Disney's crowd levels have soared in the past 10 years and a significant portion of it is due to Brazil's rising middle class.

With their economy in the worst recession over 25 years and political upheaval, will it drop DW crowds any?

What do you think?

It might cut the number of large youth groups from that country (especially in July and January), but the crowds will still be there. And there will still be groups, they weren't all from Brazil.

Last edited:
it will probably cut out the big birthday trips tha tI have seen, but over all, i think the crowds will still be about the same

Brazillians do not make up a significant portion of WDW visitors. Even in January and July they only make up a small portion of the overall total of visitors. The vast majority of WDW visitors are american.

Why would it affect the youth/touring/birthday groups? Many of them are from other countries, especially Argentina. Are people just incorrectly assuming they're all from Brazil?

Nope. That won't affect crowd levels. People from all over the world visit WDW, not just Brazil. I think 25% of visitors would have to be from Brazil for it to be a noticeable difference and that's just not the case.

Why would it affect the youth/touring/birthday groups? Many of them are from other countries, especially Argentina. Are people just incorrectly assuming they're all from Brazil?
Yes,most folks call all of them "Brazil Tour Groups" even if they are from Argentina,Paraguay,Chile,etc.

Brazil gets the "blame" for the whole continent!lol:)

My favorite is, "I knew they were from Brazil because I heard them speaking Spanish." I've got some news for you... :rotfl:
I just happen to have a picture of one of those Spanish speaking "Brazil Tour Groups".;):)

14726620864_21ccb9b55d_c.jpg

I generally only assume a tour group is from Brazil if their leader is carrying Brazil's flag. Or if they come looking for the group sales window with a huge pile of Brazilian passports. Or if they ask me for 40 maps in Portuguese. :rotfl:

I am glad that some Brazilians speak some Spanish, though... Because all the Portuguese I know is "bon gia" and "obrigado" but I know enough Theme Park Spanish to communicate on a basic level. :wizard:

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and I can tell that the economy is a mess right now, plus the "dolar" went up and our "real" went veeery low.
Now it's like 1.0 BRL = 0.25 USD so, it makes everything 4 times harder for us to travel to USA. Thank God I went to Orlando 2014 and 2015 because now I have no idea when I'll be able to go again :(

The number of Brazilians in USA last year dropped more than 10% (considering the whole year) but as the crisis hitted harder during the last months of the year, I think the numbers this year will be even lower. But overall that won't affect crowd levels at all.

About the spanish, for been kinda similar to our Portuguese language, most Brazilians speaks a little bit of spanish. And I'm proud to know that a lot of brazilians are now talking more english, cause that number is still very low considering that the english langague is the universal #1 language in the world and most of the other countries already speak english very well for very long.

btw sorry for my english :)

Last edited:
Brazillians do not make up a significant portion of WDW visitors. Even in January and July they only make up a small portion of the overall total of visitors. The vast majority of WDW visitors are american.

International visitors actually do make significant portion as it is 17%-22% and brazil making the largest portion of that. I think is very apparent the decreased in south american visitors just in general. Have you notice that a Brazilian group thread has been started this year? In fact the last time we bump into a tour group was feb 2015. Before that every single trip there will be at least one. I think one of the reasons that Disney got so cocky is because they had a great couple of years, but not because of their product being so much better than past years, but because economy improved mostly everywhere. Now most south american countries aren't doing so good, Canadian dollar falling and also euro has gone down.

Will crowds drop? Consider U.S economy is still recovering I will say no, they won't drop so significantly to be noticeable. But Disney releasing some good summer discounts it does tell me at least that disney hotels aren't booking as much or as expected compared to past years.

It is not July yet.:)

(The Tour Grouops are still coming-there were even some in December)

But January has passed with no thread. Of course some tours groups will still come but it will be much less than past years.

it will probably cut out the big birthday trips

I'll believe it when I see it!lol:)

An appreciable percentage of The 15s are Upper Class so they'll be there.

The trip to WDW is so important to these girls-they look forward to it for YEARS-I just think most of them who are not Upper Class will find a way as well.

Last July,the economic conditions were about the same(I remember them telling me about the 1-4 "ratio"),but they still were everywhere.:)

19798729899_68e8422ca1_b.jpg

Last July the ratio was almost 1-3 and before that it was 1-2.
The thing is that here in Brazil you don't just decide to go to USA and go! lol Only the rich people do that.
We (regular people) have to make huge efforts and an economy plan for a lot of months to be able to pay everything part by part before the trip date (flight, tickets, hotel, meals, etc) So, most of the people were already in half way (or more) of their planning, so they had the advantage of the most parts already been paid. Now it's different, to start a planning with the 1-4 ratio is pretty hard, make it double for the regular price (which already is huge for us Brazilians) So, I guess there will be a huge drop in terms of groups and parties, but of course it will never cut if all off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter