Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

I met with our wish grantor today and he gave me the check for our spending $, a bunch of munchies for the trip, some disposable cameras and a 20 questions electronic game. We go on Saturday to pick up the van and will leave early Monday am. :woohoo:

Gary (our wish grantor) was stressing out about trying to plan a send off party for us. He lives almost 2 hours away from us, drives an hour to work and is working on his Masters degree. I told him that we have experienced plenty of magic from MAW and did not need to have another party. He was so sweet today.

We also got the welcome kit from Disney with the Genie hat (which is very cool), the DVD (which we already had but have just about worn out) and the Birnbaum's guide.

It is really, really, gonna happen this time.

Holly

Oh, yes.. by the way... Good news: Cody got his report card today and he made the honor roll. He missed an A in algebra by 1 point.. Not bad for my child who is supposedly borderline retarded and would NEVER learn complex maths. (according to the developmental pediatrician who saw him 5 years ago)

Bad news... some crappy kid at school told Cody's girlfriend that she had a boyfriend who is a "retard." WTH is wrong with people????? :sad1:

Yes it is!!!! Enjoy your trip...I probably won't get my tr started before you leave...maybe by the time you get back!! :lmao:

Side note.....I have told my MAW chapter that I would like to volunteer. I would like to become a wish granter. Hearing about what everyone is getting/not getting is very helpful. We have seen extremes from parties to "here's your stuff" I will definitely aim for somewhere in between if I become a granter.

I met with our wish grantor today and he gave me the check for our spending $, a bunch of munchies for the trip, some disposable cameras and a 20 questions electronic game. We go on Saturday to pick up the van and will leave early Monday am. :woohoo:

Gary (our wish grantor) was stressing out about trying to plan a send off party for us. He lives almost 2 hours away from us, drives an hour to work and is working on his Masters degree. I told him that we have experienced plenty of magic from MAW and did not need to have another party. He was so sweet today.

We also got the welcome kit from Disney with the Genie hat (which is very cool), the DVD (which we already had but have just about worn out) and the Birnbaum's guide.

Holly

Oh, yes.. by the way... Good news: Cody got his report card today and he made the honor roll. He missed an A in algebra by 1 point.. Not bad for my child who is supposedly borderline retarded and would NEVER learn complex maths. (according to the developmental pediatrician who saw him 5 years ago)

Bad news... some crappy kid at school told Cody's girlfriend that she had a boyfriend who is a "retard." WTH is wrong with people????? :sad1:

I think I need to just do all of my answers from the quotes- that way I know I am saying what I mean to the right person :) Have an awesome trip and we will look so forward to hearing about it when you get home. Be safe! Congrats to Cody on the great report card. To the jerk that said that to his girlfriend, I have two thoughts- 1. We are all just a car accident away from being retarded or brain damaged ourselves and 2. Hurting people hurt others, meaning people that say mean things are usually people that are unhappy and want others to be unhappy with them.

Cody sounds like an awesome kid that's about to have the trip of a life time!! :banana: :dancer: party:

Wendy - Good luck with your son's surgery. Sending prayers your way.:hug:

Iluvmickeymouse - Welcome home! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Holly - Have a great trip! Ours is in 22 days! My girls are very excited, but my excitement is being replaced with some slight panic - just can't wait for it to happen!

Alizesmom - how are things going with your preparations? Hope all is well!

Holly, enjoy the trip. Cody sounds like he's doing great. The kid at school is the one with the problem.

As to our trip, I think we're at that stage where I do nothing. Then in about 3 weeks I'll panic and run around finishing things off. What can I say, I'm an idiot.

Still fighting mini-seizures with Alize but got an increase in his med yesterday so I hope it kicks in. Anyone got any sleep ideas? Monday to Tuesday he was awake 32 hours. :rotfl: Karen

Wendy - Good luck with your son's surgery. Sending prayers your way.:hug:

Iluvmickeymouse - Welcome home! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Holly - Have a great trip! Ours is in 22 days! My girls are very excited, but my excitement is being replaced with some slight panic - just can't wait for it to happen!

Alizesmom - how are things going with your preparations? Hope all is well!

Thanks! That was the summary I needed :yay:
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Hey guys. Here at my MILs. We'll be heading out on Sunday. Michael has a couple of appts on Monday and then being admitted on Wednesday. Surgery Thursday. I am so stressed out about this. My stomach is just constantly in knots. Silly things are setting me off. Like Michael's Peter Pan hat going missing (I think it fell out of the car) and the fact that Michael moved at the last second in a group photo of the grandkids and he's not in it. And it just looks eerie. His plastic peter pan (from the disney store) also went missing and although it hasn't bothered me before this week, its not all too important. I think I'm also PMSing on top of it all and I can't tease out what's superstition, what's hormonal and what may be my gut talking. Everything seems to be a "sign" against doing the surgery. Yet, this is the most organized things have ever been. *sigh*

Sorry to put this out there. Just needed a place to put this where there may be people who understand.

I hope Alize's meds really help with the seizures.

Yeah for Cody! That's awesome about his report card. Kids can be so cruel. You gotta wonder where they get this stuff.

We never got a "welcome kit" from Disney. Sounds neat!

Well, gotta run. I'm on dial-up and was only supposed to be paying a few last minute bills. Got those taken care of finally.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I hope to be on later this week.

I am praying so much for Michael, Wendy. I hope there is a way you can replace the peter pan hat by buying it online. I know people do because I read on a TR how some people bought their hats ahead of time for their trip somehow...as if to save extra time at the parks in line:confused3 Hat picking is one of my favorite things to do at disneyworld, but some people want to skip that and do it before their trip.

I pretty much think if I was you I would be feeling the same way about this surgery. My stomach would be in knots and I would pretty much be nauseated from worry and anxiety. I would try deep breathing exercises and progressive relaxation....don't forget to breathe. I know I would forget to breath if I was you....and by all means get a massage!!!! Even if your dh has to give you the massage, and you can give each other one! He is probably stressed too. :grouphug:

Breathe Wendy, Breathe, babe. The hat can be replaced. New Photos can be taken. The photo for Michael is on it's way and should get to the hospital about the same time you do. :hug: My prayers will be with you all.

Sounds like Cody is doing great - GOOD JOB! . . . and someone appears to be jealous of his position with the young lady. Kids. Sometimes you'd just like to throttle them. Hopefully he can ignore the hurtful comment.

You gals who are going to Florida soon - you'll be glad if you jot some notes whether or not you write a trip report. The minds a funny thing down there - without the notes - if you're anything at all like me (although I'll admit to be past the age where brain cells start to slough off) you won't remember what happened day before yesterday.

Well wishes to everyone else - sorry, I've run out of memory for specifics.

So this morning I went to pick up the van from the rental agency. My MIL drove me to the closest town with a rental agency, which is about a 15 minute drive for us. She leaves me and Mikey there to do the paperwork and drive the van home.

We've been told for a year that we'd have a van to drive. My dh will NOT fly, and since the rental is so much cheaper than plane tix, our wish grantor has reiterated multiple times that it would be a van.

So, when we finished the paperwork, surprise #1 was the agent asking for our debit card and telling me it would be $509, but that included a refundable $150 deposit. Ummmm, no!! I called our wish grantor who assured me that the rental would be billed directly to MAW. So I got that straightened out. Then, the agent tells me, "We've got you set up for the Impala outside." What????? Oh, no you don't.

I said, "It's supposed to be a van." "Well, the reservation was for a full-size car." So I called Gary back and asked about the van. He told me to call the state organization person who was listed on our itinerary. She wasn't real nice... said, "Well, I don't have Cody's paperwork with me. Are you sure it was supposed to be a van?" I was as calm as I could be and reminded her that we had chosen not to fly and had been told we'd have a van. She ended up talking to the guy and fortunately, there was a minivan there that we could get. Turns out it's brand-new.. only 49 miles on it.

Whew! I could just see me having to drive that Impala home to my dh, who already wanted to drive his truck down there. We have an Explorer and an F150 crew cab..... can you see us driving 9 hours in a car???? With my almost 6 ft teenager wrapped up like a pretzel in the back?

:rotfl:

I hope that's the only snafu we hit.

Holly

Side note.....I have told my MAW chapter that I would like to volunteer. I would like to become a wish granter.
Awesome, Karla! Let us know what happens with that!

I think I need to just do all of my answers from the quotes- that way I know I am saying what I mean to the right person
Don't worry, Jill! Most of us need that!

Still fighting mini-seizures with Alize but got an increase in his med yesterday so I hope it kicks in. Anyone got any sleep ideas? Monday to Tuesday he was awake 32 hours
Oh. My. Goodness! How are YOU, Karen?:eek: No sleep ideas here, just hope his meds help and you get some rest!

I can't tease out what's superstition, what's hormonal and what may be my gut talking
It's your INNER MOM talking. Hang in there, Wendy! We have all had this, and Linda is right. Breathe. We are with you in spirit, and we're only a computer away :hug: :hug:

With my almost 6 ft teenager wrapped up like a pretzel in the back?
Love the image, Holly! Have a safe trip, have a good time and tell us all about it when you get back! (and have a banana split and think of us!):banana:

Holly - Glad you were able to straighten everything out - hope it's the only problem you encounter!

This is why I HATE letting someone else handle my plans. I can't feel confident about it unless I do it myself. My MAW rep.is going over Amanda's long list of supplies she'll need for the week we're there - coordinating with the supply company to get them to ship everything so I don't have to "worry" about it. Little does she know, I'm shipping my own small box of supplies down myself - if I pack it myself, I'll know it's all right! Yes, I'm a control freak! ;)

Holly-the image of a 6 ft teenager wrapped up like a pretzel just makes my day :lmao: :goodvibes glad to hear your pretzel situation was avoided!:rotfl2:

Camster-as far as sending your own little package ahead:woohoo:

:banana: control freaks unite!:banana: :rotfl:

Holly, I am glad you didn't give the credit card when getting your rental van. We gave them our credit card and ended up getting billed, the credit card was our debit card, the rental company took $500 dollars out of our checking account. Our wish organization sent me a check right away though....or my payments to pay bills would have been bouncing like these ladies:dance3: Our wish organization was very understanding about it:scared1: GKTW is who I called first and they said that if our wish organization couldn't help us with the problem, they would. Sigh of Relief!

Wendy, you're acting normally. I'll be praying for you and Michaell

Holly, Way to go!

Camster, control away. It's part of the package.

Here, no seizures since Wednesday. Sleep issues remain but Alize has a nurse 16 hrs a day so mom got her rest.

Karen

Wendy, you're acting normally. I'll be praying for you and Michaell

Holly, Way to go!

Camster, control away. It's part of the package.

Here, no seizures since Wednesday. Sleep issues remain but Alize has a nurse 16 hrs a day so mom got her rest.

Karen

Thank goodness on the sleep, Karen!

Wendy, that hat has been taken care of and should arrive by Thursday - Friday at the latest.

Good night, all.

My son just asked if the villa would be decorated for Christmas at GKTW. We will be there the week before Christmas. Does anyone know the answer? For those who have food allergies, will they make accomodations, prepare food for an allergic child if they are the sibling?
Thanks!

Linda, thank you so much. I'm sitting here crying tears of joy because of your kindness. Thank you!

We are here at the Haven House. Its pretty nice. The room are spacious with private bathrooms. Many meals are provided and there's even a gym! Not that it will get much use from me but ain't that cool! hehe

I am exhausted. Tomorrow we have two appts mid-afternoon. Then an old friend from work is coming out to visit for a little bit. That will help brighten my mood. Trying really hard not to get too depressed.

palpluto, I think they will help if anyone has allergies but I'd call and ask. It won't hurt.

Karen, glad to hear no seizures and that he's got a nurse! Yeah sleep!

Holly, loved your image of your teenager. Too funny! And glad to hear that you didn't just give them your cc! LOL Oh, and that you got your "van". Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you all for your support. This is the first place I come to online these days. It really helps to hear you all talk about the wish trip. To think, "I" started it all! LOL

I'll update on the doctor's appt tomorrow. This place has a computer lab! It also has wi-fi but alas, I have no laptop. We are still hoping to get into the Ronald McDonald House sometime this week as it is closer and cheaper.

Take care!

:hug: :hug: I will be thinking about you about you and your family all week. It is nice to have a group here that really does understand and we do. Every time we walk in the doors of our transplant hospital it makes me almost sick to my stomache. It's amazing how just a smell can put me back into a place in my life that was so tough. We have been very fortunate and have not had any major surgeries/procedures since April but I know that pit in the stomach and concern about making the right decisions. It was sure a lot easier when a big choice ment picking the color paint I wanted for my room :) There are lots of people praying, sending :goodvibes and positive thoughts for you guys. :hug: :hug:

To think, "I" started it all! LOL
Wendy, you're our hero! :goodvibes Actually, I think you became my hero when I read your TR. The Wish Trippers' link is just the cherry(cherries?) on top of the banana split!!:banana: :rotfl2:
Hugs to you guys, you're never very far from our thoughts these days.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter