Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

Michael is up and moving! And he's peed! Just waiting for the other end to make some sounds! LOL We may be discharged within the week!

Thanks to all of you!

Isn't it amazing how excited we can get over certain things?:rotfl: karen

See, I knew you guys would understand the shower thing! LOL This is an amazing hospital. They have a "Ronald McDonald Lounge" on one of the floors. It has showers, laundry facilities, internet, tv, and a kitchen all for free! Hence the reason I got a chance to jump back on again. I had to pick up my laundry! Michael is up and moving! And he's peed! Just waiting for the other end to make some sounds! LOL We may be discharged within the week!

Thanks to all of you!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :yay:
AWESOME!! Another example of how prayer really does work!!
I'm so happy for ya'll and WOW you got a shower too!!!:thumbsup2
Praying the other end makes those sounds AND actions soon!!! :rotfl2: :goodvibes
Thanks for the update Wendy!!!:hug:

Yeahhhh, Michael! :tigger:

Previous wishtrippers who extended their stay- We are staying in FL an extra 2 days. If we go to a park during those 2 days can we still use the button/pass?
Thanks.

Hmmm...good question, I don't know. You might ask the staff at GKTW. Your GAC will get you extra assitance/accomodation on the attractions, but I am not sure about the parking/strollers/character line accomodations that your GKTW button gets you. That would be a GKTW question. Your button has your wish child's name along with the dates of your wish trip on it. If you are extending the same trip, there may be some way to make accomodations for that though. It won't hurt to ask. The staff and volunteers at GKTW really try to make things run smoothly for you.

~Elisa

See, I knew you guys would understand the shower thing! LOL This is an amazing hospital. They have a "Ronald McDonald Lounge" on one of the floors. It has showers, laundry facilities, internet, tv, and a kitchen all for free! Hence the reason I got a chance to jump back on again. I had to pick up my laundry! Michael is up and moving! And he's peed! Just waiting for the other end to make some sounds! LOL We may be discharged within the week!

Thanks to all of you!

Back when we were in school :hippie: and oblivious to real life :cloud9: we would never have thought that the urination and bowel movements of another human being would ever be topic of conversation, much less something to celebrate. Now that we are moms :laundy: with special needs childs, that kind of thing is something cheer! :cheer2: :rotfl: Glad to hear Michael is on the mend, and all the plumbing is working, or I guess I should say half the plumbing is working. ;)

~Elisa

Did you still have to go to orientation at GKTW to get your park passes? I just got a form letter from GKTW explaining what to expect at the airport - meeting our greeter; our transportation (which they listed as Wheelchair Getaways- I told MAW we didn't need a rental van all week); and the orientation I needed to attend to receive our park passes.

Now we're staying at The Boardwalk all week; just need the transportation to & from the airport; and just wanted the passes for WDW. I'm thinking this letter was sent in error. They wouldn't make me go out of my way to GKTW to pick up my passes, would they? We have no reason to go there otherwise.:confused3

Camster,
Are you sure you don't want to go to GKTW to check it out with the kids? It may be a fun thing to do, and you could get some ice cream or a meal while you are there.

Wendy - Glad to hear Michael is doing well :cool1:

Trevor got his packet of information from GKTW yesterday. I seriously think I am more excited than anyone else. I have packets of information on the parks and Orlando area, that I got off E-bay :lmao: I read them over and over, I highlight, I take notes - OH NO! I am obsessed :scared1:

We visited a Disney store this weekend when we were out of town to see Trevor's Cardiologist. Got some great deals - I spent over 2 hours there. They had an extra 40% off clearance and I had a extra 15% off coupon. I ended up getting shirts for the kids for 2.99. Bianca got her Minnie Mouse costume for $11.

Trevor's Dr's appt went really well. We were thinking a valve transplant in January. His heart has other plans - this time it has decided to be even stronger than the last time - no dr's appt for 6 MONTHS!!!! YAY!! :banana:

Dr did tell him to avoid rides that have G force or something like that. Assuming Mission Space?? Also, said no upside down roller coasters. Trevor was bummed and said so. The Dr. said well if you want to pass out and have the ambulance called and have everyone stare at you, then go ahead and ride. :laughing: Trevor had a look of terror on his face - he is 12 and a hair in the wrong place is embarassing.

3 weeks from tomorrow we are gone and I already have started packing :dance3:

I've heard how wonderful GKTW is - is just doesn't work for us. Amanda is fed through a g-tube - no food by mouth, so the appeal of free ice cream and pizza doesn't mean much. She also has no voluntary movements, so free video games or other activities aren't as important either. For her, she's most excited at Disney - the sights,sounds,shows,rides, characters - need I go on? I just don't think it would be worth our time to drive over there.

Thanks for the suggestion though.:)

Staci...glad to see you again..it had been awhile!! :goodvibes You got some great deals!!! SOOOO awesome that Trevor's heart is STRONGER!!! :cool1: The whole packing thing....yeah....I started early too. :sad2: :rotfl:

Good news about Trevor. We got our GKTW welcome letter yesterday. We'll be there 3 weeks from tomorrow. My guy just learned how to play in the last few weeks.

Camster, I believe you do need to go to GKTW to pick up your tickets and info packet. When we were there in April '06 there were people in our orientation who were staying on WDW property.

Have a great trip!

Thanks, Jenny, for responding to my post. I thought I had read from some other families who said they received their passes beforehand. I'll have to check with my MAW on Monday. I really don't want to waste the time of having to go over to GKTW just to pick up passes. I mean, there supposed to be making this easier for us, aren't they?

It's my understanding that at least one parent needs to attend orientation. GKTW does a tremendous amount to make your life easier - not just park tickets, but also stroller/wheel chair rental, free meals and ice cream, parties and Christmas every week for the children, a model railroad for them to interact with and another one to ride, an accessable carousel, etc. It's a magical place and it would be too bad to miss seeing it at least once.

Thanks, Jenny, for responding to my post. I thought I had read from some other families who said they received their passes beforehand. I'll have to check with my MAW on Monday. I really don't want to waste the time of having to go over to GKTW just to pick up passes. I mean, there supposed to be making this easier for us, aren't they?

Camster:

I have read both...people who went through GKTW, and others whose wish agencies were independent or who were spending their week solely at WDW. GKTW is only about a 15 minute drive from WDW, so if you have to go, it won't be too huge of an inconvenience for you. When we were there, a girl from England was also in a chair with a vent and a feeding tube, and she really enjoyed the carousel. Hope it all works out for you and doesn't become an additional stress.

Elisa

Hi Everyone!

We got home about an hour ago. Our trip was wonderful and awful at the same time. But, we have learned to roll with the bad stuff and just laugh through it, and we found ways to keep having fun.

First, WendyGrace, we met Alexis, who was in the Wish lounge the day that Michael met Peter Pan. She remembered everything about you guys. That was cool!

We got down right at 3 on Monday. Had a very low key evening. While Daddy took a nap, the boys and I snuck off to the ice cream palace for, what else?? It was great.

Tuesday was Animal Kingdom. We rode the safari twice. 1st go-round, Mikey was a game spotter and got some little binoculars to use and a certificate when we were done. We had a blast all day. Tuesday night was our Wishes fireworks cruise. OMG that was the most awesome thing. We had a private pontoon boat with our guide and wonderful viewing of the show.

Wednesday was Epcot. Rode TestTrack 1st thing. Mission Space twice. Did the rest of y'all go in the VIP lounge there?? It was very, very nice. We went through there twice. Mike and I spent our evening off together and the kids had a blast with Village Idol. Cody actually sang "I Want to be Like You" from the Jungle Book and Mikey was a judge. The wrestler Scottie Too-Hottie (????) was a celebrity guest judge and is now Mikey's favorite wrestler.

Thursday am, Cody had a seizure first thing. :eek: So, Mickey/Minnie pictures were out for him. Mikey and I got dressed and went to the theater. When I told the person at the picture stand that Cody had a seizure and was in bed, they all stirred around and then told me to go back to the villa. 15 minutes later, Belle showed up with Mickey and Minnie and visited Cody in his bedroom. :love: We got awesome pictures. Then, a while later, Goofy and Pluto arrived, also with Belle. More great pictures. Belle also brought us a paper with "signatures" from every major character in the park. Wow! :banana:

Cody was feeling better after lunch but we decided not to leave GKTW that day. Went to the Christmas party that night.

Friday am, got up early and headed to Magic Kingdom. We rode up front in the Monorail and got copilot licenses. That was great. We got there shortly after 9 and rode haunted mansion 1st. Mike said he was a little queasy and didn't want to ride, so I rode with the boys. Then we went to Splash and BTMR. Went to Tom Sawyer Island and Mikey found a paintbrush!!! Since we had the GAC, the CM gave us a free popcorn and soda. As we were leaving TS Island, Mike doubled over and said he thought he had a kidney stone. But he was determined to be a tough guy. We went to Hall of Presidents and were waiting for the show and he almost passed out. I managed to get him to the 1st aid station and he initially refused an ambulance. He wanted me to drive him to the hospital. 1st aid called for guest services to drive us to our car. After waiting about 10 minutes, he decided to go for the ambulance. So, he rides the ambulance, and Jonnie from Guest Services drives us out to the car and off we go to Celebration.

(That's a REAAAAAALLLLLLY ironic name for a hospital, I must say.) While he was waiting, he tells me to leave him there, take the kids back to the park and he would get a taxi back to GKTW. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Like I would do that.

4 hours later, I took him back to the villa, loaded him with pain meds and then took the kids back to the park. The manager at GKTW was wonderful and checked on him while we were gone. We rode everything in Tomorrowland, space mountain twice. Rode Pirates and Jungle Cruise (which is quite interesting in the dark) Saw the Spectro parade, which was awesome, and 2 cast members let each boy choose one of their pins to have (no trading involved). Mikey chose a Mike Wizowsky pin and Cody found a neat Mickey Fantasia pin.

We closed down the park that night and dragged into the villa around midnight. Saturday, Mike was feeling better... we went to Seaworld and watched the Blue Horizons and Believe shows, as well as feeding stingrays and dolphins and saw the Manatee and alligator exhibits. As soon as the Shamu show was finished, I had to take Mike back to the villa, then we went back to SW to finish out the day. Saw the sea lion and otter show as well as the sharks and penguins and fed the seals/sea lions.

We had planned to go back to MK that evening. Disney was going to extend our passes for an extra day since Friday turned out so bad. But after Sea World, we were WHUPPED. I mean, dog tired, wore out.

We went back to the village and Mikey and I went up to the birthday party for a while. Got up EARLY this am and headed for home.

I'm worn out. But had a wonderful week. Even with the drama, it was a wonderful vacation and there were so many magical moments.

Those of you who haven't gone yet, make sure to visit the VIP rooms at Test Track and Mission Space. You have to ask... even with GKTW button, they won't tell you about it. It's in the bunny book where to go. They are just amazing and the people were so nice.

Wendy, I am glad that Michael's surgery went well. Hope he will be completely recovered soon.

Off to take a nap!

Holly

It sounds like a crazy week!! Glad you made the best of it and had fun when you could. I am just so impressed with how well GKTW takes care of everything and even how great everyone at WDW is. First class places it sounds like. Thanks for the tip on the VIP rooms at Epcot too, we'll check them out for sure. When my Dad came to visit us here in Alaska this summer he also had 2 kidney stones and didn't know what it was for a while. I thought he was going to die- very scary seeing them in so much pain. Hope Mike is feeling better now. So glad you took the time to share with us!!!

OMG Holly what a whirlwind of a week! :scared1: Hope Mike is feeling better. Sounds like overall it was a great week and you had a good time. We never did make it to the VIP rooms at EPCOT, they sound neat. Show us some pics if you have time!!! :goodvibes

Wow, Holly. I sure hope everyone stays reasonably well in your household for a while, so you can rest up! Thank you for taking time for the report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter