Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we're at a point where we can ask people to close (and many lose) their businesses they have built over a lifetime for "the greater good" then we're at a point where we can ask people to take a vaccine.

I do think it's very selfish if people decide to suck up the herd immunity the rest of us create, by choosing (without necessity) not to be vaccinated. The herd immunity needs to be reserved for those who *cannot* be vaccinated.

Agree I see it as a civic duty to be vaccinated as it needs an 80% uptake to be effective.

She's factually correct that in order to attain herd immunity, those who CANNOT get vaccinated need to be the only ones who don't.
And it is a fact that we're not going to remotely have the number of doses needed to achieve true herd immunity benefits right away. That fact was not taken into consideration. And I would conclude then from that fact not disclosed that it IS NOT SELFISH (an opinion contrary to that poster) not to get a vaccine right away if one doesn't want to because it will go to someone else and overall herd immunity for the near term will be exactly the same as had she been the one to get it. Now once we have enough for nearly everyone next summer, and things are much more known, we can revisit the subject then.

Last edited:
And it is a fact that we're not going to remotely have the number of doses needed to achieve true herd immunity benefits right away. That fact was not taken into consideration. And I would conclude then from that fact not disclosed that it IS NOT SELFISH (an opinion contrary to that poster) not to get a vaccine right away if one doesn't want to because it will go to someone else and overall herd immunity for the near term will be exactly the same as had she been the one to get it.
Nobody is talking about the short term. I'm talking about once everyone who wants one has the opportunity to get one. It would be ridiculous to even discuss the issue of choice if people don't even have a choice.

And it is a fact that we're not going to remotely have the number of doses needed to achieve true herd immunity benefits right away. That fact was not taken into consideration. And I would conclude then from that fact not disclosed that it IS NOT SELFISH (an opinion contrary to that poster) not to get a vaccine right away if one doesn't want to because it will go to someone else and overall herd immunity for the near term will be exactly the same as had she been the one to get it.

The truth is I have no issue with being called selfish in this respect.
Yes, I am more concerned about possible long term effects of the vaccine for myself than I am concerned about some stranger getting COVID. Yes, my health comes before the health of strangers.
I will continue to do what I have been doing for the last 9 months to protect others from COVID, but I will not be getting the vaccine when it is available to me.
My issue is with people believing that somehow they are morally superior because they'll be taking it for the greater good. When the reality is that they are taking it because they don't want to get COVID.
They'll say it's for the greater good, but that is just an added benefit of then taking it for themselves, it isn't the reason they are doing it.

Nobody is talking about the short term. I'm talking about once everyone who wants one has the opportunity to get one. It would be ridiculous to even discuss the issue of choice if people don't even have a choice.

And when is that going to be?
What is your definition of short term?
I can tell you that a vaccine that has been available for a year IMO is still new, and long term effects are still unknown.
As long as you (general you) get to choose to get the vaccine then you have no business telling anyone it is their duty too.
When you are forced to take it then maybe you can.

I didn't state whether or not I was going to get it. I'm in the lowest risk group so once I'm allowed to get it I very well might.

I was talking about the general belief that it isn't out of the ordinary to wait on any new medication before you put it into your body. I don't think that is unreasonable and while a closed business can come back any negative health effects from any medication may not. It is a much higher bar than anything done economically in my opinion.

But we can also agree to disagree.
Just to clarify businesses don't all come back. Last estimate I saw was 58-59% of the ones closed would be permanent ones. I think the economics tends to get glossed over but it can impact your health and your ability to get medical attention be it your financial security, mental health, or benefits tied to your job or a combo. That's not to downplay what you're talking about with negative health effects with medication because it's not as if that shouldn't be considered but you shouldn't IMO be able to downplay a business closing as if it's merely worth a shrug.

While I am happy that progress seems to be happening very quickly, I have to say that I am unsure whether or not I am willing to get this vaccine. Experts are saying it will be safe, but how do they really know? There could possibly be long term effects that no one is even aware of right now. This alone has me leaning towards not getting it for a good long time.

‘Thoughts?
I won't until it's mandatory and proven. But, I am also not stopping life now, so it's not really that important to me.

The truth is I have no issue with being called selfish in this respect.
Yes, I am more concerned about possible long term effects of the vaccine for myself than I am concerned about some stranger getting COVID. I will continue to do what I have been doing for the last 9 months to protect others from COVID, but I will not be getting the vaccine when it is available to me.
My issue is with people believing that somehow they are morally superior because they'll be taking it for the greater good. When the reality is that they are taking it because they don't want to get COVID.
They'll say it's for the greater good, but that is just an added benefit of then taking it for themselves, it isn't the reason they are doing it.

And when is that going to be?
What is your definition of short term?
I can tell you that a vaccine that has been available for a year IMO is still new, and long term effects are still unknown.
As long as you gt to choose to get the vaccine then you have no business telling anyone it is their duty too.
When you are forced to take it then maybe you can.
Well you said that people are only getting the vaccine to benefit themselves...I pointed out to you that’s not true and gave my individual situation. You called people getting the vaccine self-righteous. And that is not true in all cases

As soon as my DH and I can we will. I’m just a tad hesitant for my kids. If they figure out that the vaccine does not stop the spread but only keeps the recipient from getting ill then I question the need for my kids to get one. I believe this is an open issue?? When I look at the data for healthy teens my kids don’t need a vaccine to protect them from mild cold symptoms or a a-symptom “illness”. Here I personally would want more Infos on the risk / benefit for their age group. Now if the vaccine is proven to stop the spread, then that’s different.

When we have Dr. Fauci, our local medical experts, politicians (like them or not), doctors, nurses, etc. IMPLORING people to get vaccinated when they can, that we need to reach a herd immunity in order to get our livelihoods back, reduce hospitalizations and you know, save lives...yeah I think it's crap you won't get the vaccine if you are perfectly able and allowed to.

But I'm happy you are okay with being called selfish though! And you are correct, it's your right and there's nothing we can do about it! :D

(and for the record, I'm not concerned about myself getting Covid at all, so I'm not getting vaccine to protect myself)

Last edited:
Oh please with all the righteousness people. We have no duty to inject ourselves with anything to protect you. You hold no moral high-ground here, the reason you are getting the vaccine is to protect yourself first and foremost. You aren't doing it for anyone else and you know it.

Get a grip. Yes, I'm getting vaccinated for myself. But I'm also doing it for my husband, my elderly MIL with a compromised immune system who we want to spend time with, for my kids, for people in our community who CANNOT GET VACCINATED FOR LEGITIMATE MEDICAL REASONS. People who CANNOT get vaccinated will need to rely on herd immunity. That only works if most of us get vaccinated.

Same. I'm doing it for myself, as well as my parents who are in their 60's with health problems, my MIL who is in her 70's with health problems. My MIL, who hasn't gotten to be within 6-10 feet of her kids or grandkids in months, and when we asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she simply and tearfully replied "A hug".

Absolutely... Yes...

DH and I both are Yes...

I take care of my parents, and hopefully they both will be able to receive it...lots of medical problem for both of them.. If not at least if I am covered, I can breathe easier that I can't give it to them...

DH works in essential services so, It will be less stress knowing that he is protected...

We want our life back, We want to travel, and I am good carrying paper work to show that I have had the vaccine...

Being Mask free is the life for me!!! Can't wait to put them all away!! Hopefully one day soon!!!

Oh please with all the righteousness people. We have no duty to inject ourselves with anything to protect you. You hold no moral high-ground here, the reason you are getting the vaccine is to protect yourself first and foremost. You aren't doing it for anyone else and you know it.
Of course I’m getting vaccinated for myself. I don’t think most are saying otherwise. What they’re saying, and I’ve agreed, is that once a vaccine becomes widely available, those who choose not to get it need to take the responsibility to protect themselves. This idea that we should continue to wear masks and social distance until they’re comfortable is absurd, when there is another option.

I think this is where people are way off. This vaccine was not "rushed". And when a certain leader made pushing for it before the election a thing, people jumped on the 'it's political' bandwagon. Frankly, we could have had this vaccine in the Spring as it was developed very quickly based on existing mRNA technology which has been around and tested for decades. Do some research on mRNA vaccine development and you will feel better about the speed.

You can't compare the speed to market for Covid vaccines to other vaccines historically. The reason other vaccines took so much longer is that there was 1) no pressing need to get it done quickly (ie the world is not shut down waiting for it) and 2) $$. No vaccine effort has ever been funded the way Covid has. That being said, no medication/vaccine will be 100% safe or 100% effective for 100% of the population - even ones that were tested for 10+ years. I understand people being nervous about taking it. But I wouldn't make the speed to market compared to other vaccines/medications the reason.
Thank you, good solid information!

Judging by your use of caps I'd say you're the one who needs to get a grip.
It's obvious from your tone I hit a nerve. I guess you don't like being called out on your selfishness. Don't worry there are people here who won't insult you for it, even if you aren't one of them.
You’re calling other people selfish when you’ve posted that you don’t care if a stranger gets Covid. Okay...

While I hope everyone gets the vaccine, I don't think forcing people to get a vaccine and forcing someone to wear a mask are the same thing. Nobody should be forced to get a vaccine if they don't want. But understand, there will be consequences to not getting it to both the individual and society.

Guys, assuming the vaccine(s) work as advertised, IMO, it really does not matter what everyone else does. It is all gonna depend on the numbers. The number of Covid infections/hospitalizations/deaths after the vaccine is widely available will determine how lawmakers will act. If enough people get the vaccine and it works, the social distance restrictions will start to be removed as the numbers will drop (I think restrictions will take time to be eliminated). At that point, it won't matter what the anti vaxxers do. Covid will still be around but if it is in the "contained" state, it will be treated more like the flu and anyone who voluntarily decides not to get the vaccine will be taking their own risk of getting Covid.

However, if the numbers are still high after the vaccines are out, it will mean not enough people took the vaccine to obtain herd immunity and then we will start seeing government and businesses pivot to put restrictions based on proof of vaccine. Those who got vaccinated will be allowed to travel, go to concerts, sporting events, school, etc. while those who did not will be required to isolate. I know it sounds crazy and people will protest, but I am sure that is where we are heading. Heck, my daughter's college is already not allowing any student back on campus next semester unless they prove they got a flu shot. These type of restrictions will be tighter with Covid vaccines. Life will go on after the vaccines roll out. What it will look like will depend on how many of us get the vaccine.

My family will be getting it as soon as it is available for our group/phase, which should be one of the later groups. We are not high risk and are fine with any timeline of availability. I do feel good about my state's plan and ability to administer the vaccine once available. (MA)

I don't think forcing people to get a vaccine and forcing someone to wear a mask are the same thing.
I don't think for one moment people are saying this to be the situation. In part they serve the same function. I've watched how people have responded to those concerned about health and developmental ramifications to mask wearing those uncomfortable with it and unsure about their own health and usually it's met with "don't listen to that crock, I can't believe you actually believe this, WEAR A DANG MASK, oh boo hoo you don't want to be inconvenienced, etc" and while there is evidence of long-term mask wearing such as those in the medical profession and those on factory lines (should they have required those), something that is absent from this vaccine in long-term, I think people don't want to see the similarities to it. If you look really at it more impartially (neither very pro mask or very pro vaccine) you can see how they are similar.

Also no one is being forced to do either. You aren't forced to wear a mask, there may be consequences to it (some severe if your place of employment requires you to or if there is enough of a financial fine) but neither, at this point, is the government forcing people to get the vaccine. We tend to have a lot more freedoms here, there's usually just consequences to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter