Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/covid-19-vaccination-kit-record-card/index.html
Also reported by several others. Just Google it to find whatever news source you prefer.
This isn't any different than my Gardasil vaccine card I got 14 1/2 years ago. It's also nothing new to me because that was what was announced in October that my state would be utilizing. At your first dosage a card would be given to remind you of your second dosage (assuming that is still the plan which it appears someone will be doing it).

You're speaking to the utilization of it but I don't see how this is anyway a legal document to reflect you've actually been given it and that you're all good to go. It's just a reminder card. Plus my state already has a registry for vaccine records.

I'm curious if we (the people) will have to show a card, similar to an ID card to prove we were vaccinated?? Huskies 90, not expecting you to answer; just thinking aloud with the help of your quote. :)

Just thinking aloud. Maybe it will be situation specific. Private businesses can require it if they want. Schools could possibly require it just as they do with other vaccinations. Airlines might be a sector that could possibly. I doubt places like the grocery store would.

My local school district just started bringing back students the week before Thanksgiving, beginning with just the SDC program students. Apparently, last week, right before Thanksgiving, a family sent their child into school with what the parents are now claiming was just a minor headache. Well, now all 8 students and the 2 educators in one classroom (including the spouses of these educators) have been diagnosed with COVID. The superintendent publicly apologized to all families affected. He also promised (probably not the smartest thing to do) that all teachers returning to school, whenever hybrid starts next year for the rest of the student population who elects to, will be provided N95-level respirators and plexiglass shields at their desks.

It is a unique situation in this case because it is SDC students without masks. Before these students returned, it was argued that these students shouldn’t have to wear masks. Well....

The DOD announced today that everyone getting the vaccine will receive a vaccination ID card.

Like I said, the writing is on the wall.

The original purpose of that is to keep a record of which vaccine an individual received and when they need to go back for a booster.

The original purpose of that is to keep a record of which vaccine an individual received and when they need to go back for a booster.

Yes, I understand the purpose. I just really think some of you are being very naive if you think that it’s sole purpose is to remind you to get your second dose.

Just thinking aloud. Maybe it will be situation specific. Private businesses can require it if they want. Schools could possibly require it just as they do with other vaccinations. Airlines might be a sector that could possibly. I doubt places like the grocery store would.

My local school district just started bringing back students the week before Thanksgiving, beginning with just the SDC program students. Apparently, last week, right before Thanksgiving, a family sent their child into school with what the parents are now claiming was just a minor headache. Well, now all 8 students and the 2 educators in one classroom (including the spouses of these educators) have been diagnosed with COVID. The superintendent publicly apologized to all families affected. He also promised (probably not the smartest thing to do) that all teachers returning to school, whenever hybrid starts next year for the rest of the student population who elects to, will be provided N95-level respirators and plexiglass shields at their desks.

It is a unique situation in this case because it is SDC students without masks. Before these students returned, it was argued that these students shouldn’t have to wear masks. Well....

Thank you for your reply. I toyed with asking about the proof of the vaccine on it's own thread but I really don't want to go there, yet. ;)

I’ve spoken to someone in the theater industry and he said that when shows start touring again, they will be very focused on what the vaccine policies are for the area they’re looking at.

Yes, I understand the purpose. I just really think some of you are being very naive if you think that it’s sole purpose is to remind you to get your second dose.
I'm not being naïve and I haven't even actually discussed much about vaccine requirement for xyz at least not in many months.

I'm saying what you posted and what was announced doesn't equal the same. You can't say "the writing is on the wall" when I literally had the same card albeit an informal one from Gardasil (minus the lot numbers shown on the photo in the article) over 14 years ago.

There’s talk of not only the Nobel Prize for medicine, but also the Nobel PEACE Prize going to the vaccine creators.

Hikergirl, shall I just put you down for a “no” vote on this one?

I'm not being naïve and I haven't even actually discussed much about vaccine requirement for xyz at least not in many months.

I'm saying what you posted and what was announced doesn't equal the same. You can't say "the writing is on the wall" when I literally had the same card albeit an informal one from Gardasil (minus the lot numbers shown on the photo in the article) over 14 years ago.

This isn’t like any other vaccine. This is specifically about COVID which has shutdown the world and supports the ideas of digital health passports for the future.

This isn’t like any other vaccine. This is specifically about COVID which has shutdown the world and supports the ideas of digital health passports for the future.
At what point did I say anything about COVID being the same as an HPV vaccine?

You posted a comment that "The DOD announced today that everyone getting the vaccine will receive a vaccination ID card. Like I said, the writing is on the wall." I responded that I received a reminder card over 14 years ago, I responded that my state (when they sent their vaccine plans to the CDC in October) said they would be giving a reminder card. it's not new to me, it's not "the writing on the wall". But nowhere in my comment did I say anything regarding requiring proof of vaccination.

To put it another way your information you linked doesn't back up your statement. That's what I was getting at. Will it get to that point? IDK my crystal ball is on vacation right now.

Just curious. Imagine if things were different and Covid-19 was killing and hurting children instead of elderly (over 280,000 people, mostly elderly have died so far in the US), just like polio did in 1950s. Do you think people would have been talking about long-term effects of new vaccines, not wanting to wear masks, etc...? Just wondering. I think most people would have been more willing to follow the rules and even get vaccine. I understand there are crazy antivaxxers, but we are not talking about a disease that has mostly been eradicated (eg, polio). For those who are not willing to get the vaccine, would you be willing to get the vaccine to protect the children?

Have you never had a reminder card for a vaccine? Most of us never think about it because we get one shot and we're done.

I understand if you personally feel it will get to that point, I can't agree or disagree about what will happen because I don't know. I think many of us have already started thinking what if I'm required to prove I've been vaccinated, but them announcing this should only be seen right now as innocuous. It's a process that has already been used before. How else do you propose they try to ensure everyone gets both doses?

Have you never had a reminder card for a vaccine? Most of us never think about it because we get one shot and we're done.

I understand if you personally feel it will get to that point, I can't agree or disagree about what will happen because I don't know. I think many of us have already started thinking what if I'm required to prove I've been vaccinated, but them announcing this should only be seen right now as innocuous. It's a process that has already been used before. How else do you propose they try to ensure everyone gets both doses?

Good point but I imagine people will have to have personal responsibility....people should put it on their phone calendar just like everything else. One and done is not really that unusual; shingles and Hep vaccinations. How much babysitting needs to be done with adults?
Not many people miss a hair appointment!

My concern is that the cards will have counterfeiters creating them; how will they ensure they are legitimate without a database?
We live in a world of being able to create anything on an internet app....you know those people are out there.

Good point but I imagine people will have to have personal responsibility....people should put it on their phone calendar just like everything else. One and done is not really that unusual; shingles and Hep vaccinations. How much babysitting needs to be done with adults?
Not many people miss a hair appointment!

My concern is that the cards will have counterfeiters creating them; how will they ensure they are legitimate without a database?
We live in a world of being able to create anything on an internet app....you know those people are out there.
Isn't there a database? At least in some states sounds like there will be. "Vaccination clinics will also be reporting to their state immunization registries what vaccine was given, so that, for example, an entity could run a query if it didn't know where a patient got a first dose." "many places are planning to ask patients to voluntarily provide a cell phone number, so they can get a text message telling them when and where their next dose is scheduled to be administered."

The cards aren't perfect but I thought of homeless camps, do I think they will necessarily keep the card? I'm not sure that's probably a stretch but it may help. Not everyone has a cell phone either to put into their calendar.

I don't see how you need to worry about counterfeiters on the cards themselves because it's not proof in itself. I think there's not anywhere near enough personal information much less a picture to be identifying. With all the security we've had like the real id I don't think our government is going to rely on these cards, as they are, for legal proof of anything. If I have to show my SSN, my marriage license, 2 documents that have my name on it (like utility) and my first born child just to get a new driver's license I think a vaccine of such importance will probably have more checks than here's this card, as they are right now, we know 100% you yourself have been vaccinated so you can buy those concert tickets if you want now. Of course these are just my out loud thinking I could be 100% wrong.

I think people are really getting ahead of themselves. We can literally think of a thousands what ifs but if you've (general you've) got a better method to give people to help them remember when to come back for another dose I'm all ears! I don't think it's about babysitting adults. And raise your hand if you didn't lose track of the days in the spring time. I couldn't tell if it was Wednesday or Saturday lol. I take very seriously personal responsibility but any added help..well helps :)

Good discussion points but my concern is not any personal information on the card. I am pretty sure there will be none.
My concern is people showing up, when a vaccine is required at places, and in truth did not get it.
I believe the article link on here indicated that there was no plan currently for a database.
Not really getting ahead of ourselves as we are on the doorstep of this happening; a public discussion is always good.
Part of the education for the vaccine is making the patient aware of the need and importance to come back for a second shot. Some type of education pretty much happens with every medical visit. Sometimes it is a small conversation, sometimes it is more.
There will always be some semblance of personal responsibility just like with any personal healthcare.
For example, there is a conversation about side effects when getting the flu shot. Patient education is always present at a visit when they are receiving a treatment.

Good discussion points but my concern is not any personal information on the card. I am pretty sure there will be none.
My concern is people showing up, when a vaccine is required at places, and in truth did not get it.
I believe the article link on here indicated that there was no plan currently for a database.
Not really getting ahead of ourselves as we are on the doorstep of this happening; a public discussion is always good.
Part of the education for the vaccine is making the patient aware of the need and importance to come back for a second shot. Some type of education pretty much happens with every medical visit. Sometimes it is a small conversation, sometimes it is more.
There will always be some semblance of personal responsibility just like with any personal healthcare.
For example, there is a conversation about side effects when getting the flu shot. Patient education is always present at a visit when they are receiving a treatment.
I think I was more meaning getting ahead as far as thinking of every what ifs like suddenly this would be used to show proof you yourself had the vaccine for entry into some place. It's something to think about but we don't have the vaccine anyways widely distributed with enough of the population and the timeline for that unknown. I expect places to form policies over time though.

For the database at least the person's link said this: "Every dose administered will be reported to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC did not immediately respond to CNN's inquiry about whether such a database would include a record of everyone immunized." That's not "there is no plan at this time" but it's a common response (well non-response lol).

I truly understand your concern but I thought we were still talking about the cards? I am unaware of a place that has announced these cards in particular will be used for proof. I'm not sure we can go too far into counterfeiting discussion as it relates to something other than these cards because we don't yet know of any vulnerabilities in whatever method being used should it be announced that whatever it is (card, app, physical card you wear around your neck or any other such thing) is being used to reflect you are who you are and you personally have had the vaccine. You do have a valid concern though I just don't know how far we can hypothesize with having no information at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter