Will unique menu items ever return?

BaymaxFan78

Fort Wilderness Enthusiast
Just curious as to what people think here. A lot of the quick service and sit down restaurants across property used to have "unique" food items, such as the Guava French Toast and Pineapple Pancakes at Caribbean Beach. They used to be served in Centertown pre-pandemic but were removed with the re-opening. With Spyglass grill re-opening soon I got excited hoping they would serve them there (they were served there pre-pandemic as well) but it looks like mostly standard WDW food. From what I recall these were the only places that had items like this. Many of the other resorts had food that fit with the theming and it is no longer served. Does anyone think items like these will return or do you think Disney is trying to keep a sort of cookie cutter menu for it's resorts? Supply shortages is often the reason, but most food can be easily obtained now. This also happens in the parks, for example Casey's Corner used to have a monthly specialty hotdog, but that never returned after re-opening. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Just curious as to what people think here. A lot of the quick service and sit down restaurants across property used to have "unique" food items, such as the Guava French Toast and Pineapple Pancakes at Caribbean Beach. They used to be served in Centertown pre-pandemic but were removed with the re-opening. With Spyglass grill re-opening soon I got excited hoping they would serve them there (they were served there pre-pandemic as well) but it looks like mostly standard WDW food. From what I recall these were the only places that had items like this. Many of the other resorts had food that fit with the theming and it is no longer served. Does anyone think items like these will return or do you think Disney is trying to keep a sort of cookie cutter menu for it's resorts? Supply shortages is often the reason, but most food can be easily obtained now. This also happens in the parks, for example Casey's Corner used to have a monthly specialty hotdog, but that never returned after re-opening. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

If WDW isn't doing it, it's because they don't want to. They are doing it at Disneyland Resort. There are constant new, themed food and drink items at various locations.

I agree, this is sad. Sassagoula at POFQ doesn't seem to have any of their po'boys listed anymore. I'm shocked the gumbo and jambalaya stayed on the menu.

if you are looking for specific things, it is possible they can't source the ingredients or manpower to continue those offerings.

Did you happen to find a new menu posted for the Spyglass Grill reopening? We will be at CBR at the end of the month, so I'm curious if it will be more of the same old stuff. The old menu looked like it had such great options, so I'll be bummed if they end up just having the same stuff as Centertown Market right now!

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that Disney updated the menu on their website. It was still showing the old menus earlier this afternoon. Dang, they only reason I was excited about this opening was because I thought it meant some more interesting food choices!

Last edited:
Agree the menus have been stripped down. Skippers in MK used to have a great whole fish on the bone. Tender, tasty and unique. Head, tail and everything. Lion fish was one option. Was around since the place opened. It didn't make the cut after covid. And a shame because it was fun. It was also 'instagramable' so thought they might keep it for their social media tags. Nope. Trend seems to be 4 or 5 entrees instead of 7 or 8 choices. I appreciate the food shortages, rising prices and push to streamline the kitchen because of dearth of experienced cooking staff. But think it's a reset that cuts deeper than present obvious restrictions.

Much less now in the early 00 POR, BW bakery, Main st Bakery actually baked many things. Since the Mid-late 00 I have been in search of a good piece of cake and a decent cup of coffee at Disney. Can’t stand cupcakes.

Much less now in the early 00 POR, BW bakery, Main st Bakery actually baked many things. Since the Mid-late 00 I have been in search of a good piece of cake and a decent cup of coffee at Disney. Can’t stand cupcakes.
Yeah we went to Storybook Dining at AP recently, and my daughter ordered the Gnocchi (which she always does), and asked to omit the asparagus (which she always does). We were told they can’t omit it because “it all comes together in the bag like that. 🤨. So we ordered it as it was on the menu. The quality on this dish was so awful compared to previous trips. It was packaged boiled gnocchi, with basic Alfredo sauce.. and as he said, a package of steamed veg dumped on top. In the past the gnocchi were at least pan fried and the veg was fresh. There was no shaved parmesan cheese on top.

in the early 00 POR, BW bakery, Main st Bakery actually baked many things
And I remember POP Century had a great unique cafeteria menu with Mom's Night Out, Fried Chicken, Pot Roast and great 50s style entrees. Return guests loved these and always had their first night at the POP caf to be welcomed home. The original Tie-Dyed Cheesecake was actually a full 'slice' of real cheesecake and not a pre-made poured little plastic pot dessert. Poor poured little thing now. One of the few good cupcakes was the King's Cupcake. Elvis inspired dessert with bananas, peanut butter, chocolate, bacon and I can't remember what else. RIP. Think all made onsite in the POP kitchen by staff who loved working there and were proud of their work. Now so much is just shipped in from the central food factory. :(

And I remember POP Century had a great unique cafeteria menu with Mom's Night Out, Fried Chicken, Pot Roast and great 50s style entrees. Return guests loved these and always had their first night at the POP caf to be welcomed home. The original Tie-Dyed Cheesecake was actually a full 'slice' of real cheesecake and not a pre-made poured little plastic pot dessert. Poor poured little thing now. One of the few good cupcakes was the King's Cupcake. Elvis inspired dessert with bananas, peanut butter, chocolate, bacon and I can't remember what else. RIP. Think all made onsite in the POP kitchen by staff who loved working there and were proud of their work. Now so much is just shipped in from the central food factory. :(
Mom's night out!! I miss that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter