• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why the two extra Star Wars films?

Star Wars is a huge universe. There is certainly a large part of the fanbase (me included) that is sick of the Skywalker family and would like to see more of the universe explored. These aren't exactly as far out as I hoped they would go, but it's a start. The Star Wars franchise has a seemingly endless collection of novels and games(very few of which are canon anymore) that explore the universe further. In storyline perspective, the movies are a very small part of the franchise. Of course, mainstream/pop culture/financial wise, they are the biggest part by far. I'm glad to see them expanding and hope to see more.

Last edited:
I am hoping for a Kenobi story set between III and IV and Ewan McGregor has said he's interested. There are so many different avenues they can go with the Anthology stories. I was luke warm on the Rogue One movie when I first heard of it. Then, as more details were released I got more excited. It reminds me of the old X-Wing novels. Its Star Wars but not Star Wars. You get the military action but no Jedi and Sith running around drawing all the attention.

I would love to see movies based on the KOTOR video games, and a KOTOR 3 game too. There are so many possible stories in the SW universe and I'm glad Disney is taking advantage of that.

When you have a literal galaxy full of characters at your disposal, you can find interesting ways to tell "the same story" over and over again. Mind you, I'm not saying they are telling the same story, but while the events of A New Hope are happening, they can show what's going on somewhere else in the galaxy that could lead to events in other movies.
  • Different characters perspective of a big event during the same time and place as another movie (blowing up the Death Star).
  • Different characters perspective of a different event during the same time as another movie.
  • Different characters perspective of the same event in a different location during the same time as another movie (what was happening on Planet X during the Death Star being kaboom'd).
I mean, it's a list of endless possibility and endless potential.

Basically, the way I kind of wrap my head around it is that they are doing television seasons on a much grander, bigger budgeted scale.

Disney has already made their $4B investment back. Given the Marvel track record, as long as each film is worth seeing, I won't complain no matter how many they make. They mostly need to be careful with the numbered films, for me. More careful than George was, at least.

Disney is not ''desperate for funds'' It's still a business. That's what they do.

+1. ...and OVERKILL?!?!?!? It would be very hard to reach "Star Wars overkill" status with me. I'm looking forward to Rogue One, Han Solo, Boba Fett & the potential Obi-Wan series even more than the new Trilogy.

So why are they making this Rogue One movie and now one all about Hans Solo ? Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but this seems like overkill , and runs the risk of ruining interest in the main SW movies. Is Disney so desperate for funds that this is a cash grab attempt, hoping to maximize the Star Wars wave? An attempt to keep people interested while it takes them 3 years to pop our another expansion?

...and you say you love Star Wars, but you call him Hans. He's not a Bavarian... :stir::duck:

I would love to see movies based on the KOTOR video games, and a KOTOR 3 game too. There are so many possible stories in the SW universe and I'm glad Disney is taking advantage of that.
Darth Bane is another route they could go down. Dawn of the Jedi was a great idea that, to me was still born, that's another track they can go down. George built this sandbox that is so vast that several different people can play in it at once without over kill.

So they can dominate the Christmas season!lol

My 6 year old had a "Star Wars Glow Party" for his birthday this weekend. I've just redecorated his entire room in a Star Wars theme as a surprise bday present while he was at school yesterday. He is obsessed.

Christmas was ridiculous trying to find every SW thing on his list...Amazon and EBay were charging insane prices for toys that were elsewhere sold out..
and with the timing of Rogue One I'm sure it will be the same this year..and the next..and the one after lol.

And as far as the super hero movies.. He's not as into all of those characters because I think those movies are too mature for him, so not as much exposure. But Star Wars- from movies to tv shows- it's everywhere, and really all ages.

I just got my daughter hooked on Star Wars. She's 10. She LOVED the Force Awakens and is so crazy excited for Rogue One! Me too. I say two new movies per year please.
I had never watched all of the movies until last year before we went to WDW.. We watched 1 per week. I didn't even know that Ewan Mcgreggor or Natalie Portman were in them..and both are actors that I like!lol.

I'm on the bandwagon now :)

There is already a healthy spin off area with, books, comic, video games and TV series like "Star Wars Rebels" and the Lego Cartoons so a couple of extra films exploring other parts of the Wars universe, in My opinion, would be fab.

Oh and I missed one off, does anyone remember the Ewokes cartoon series - TV gold lol :crazy:

I would love to see as well, but highly unlikely as those games are no longer canon.

There is already a healthy spin off area with, books, comic, video games and TV series like "Star Wars Rebels" and the Lego Cartoons so a couple of extra films exploring other parts of the Wars universe, in My opinion, would be fab.

Oh and I missed one off, does anyone remember the Ewokes cartoon series - TV gold lol :crazy:

I have to assume that the criticism over multiple movies comes from mainstream Star Wars fans, in other words, fans that only watch the movies and are unaware of the expanded universe. Star Wars spin offs have been going on for decades, just not in theaters. So, to assume this is specifically a Disney thing is an uninformed assumption.

Who can forget that awesome Christmas Special?!

Last edited:
I disagree that these new Star Wars movies are "cash grabs". As long as they keep making quality movies like The Force Awakens that is. Unless I'm hazy on the definition of cash grab. I think there is a difference between a movie that is aimed at being financially successful and a cash grab. Most every movie studio aims at making profitable movies unless you're talking about some little art house production or something. What Peter Jackson did with The Hobbit, now that was a cash grab.

Why?
Better question is why not.

Lots of people love star wars. Considering the gap between the first 2 trilogies, this isn't over kill at all.
Disney was the perfect place for this franchise to go to.

Also, expanding to standalone films is kind of awesome because branching out was limited to comics, novels, and animated series before.
I personally don't care for the idea of a Han Solo film, though. I want a standalone Stormtrooper film at some point!

[QUOTlyerjab, post: 55568856, member: 533256"]As far as cultural zeitgeist goes, Star Wars is cemented into everyone's collective minds. Even people that don't particularly care for it know what it is, or who Darth Vader is for example, so I don't ever see interest for this waning anytime soon. To me, Disney is going to test the waters with this just like every other property that they own. And for good reason; they just set the domestic box office record for The Force Awakens. And also, think about how successful each Marvel movie has been. We have been deluged with Marvel movies since around 2008, and there has not been a significant drop in box office, and I just heard that the latest Captain America movie coming out next month is one of the best yet.

I love that they have started the Star Wars trilogy format again, but I am even more interested to see how the stand alone films are as there are so many directions that they could take them. The possibilities are almost limitless for what kind of movies they could make. I am personally excited for Rogue One as the trailer really surprised me with how good it looked. But in regard to the cash grab statement, well, I pretty much see Disney as one huge, ongoing cash grab. I don't see them as desperate for money at all. They are simply a company that just wants to make more money.

Yes, but the Marvel movies are a very different situation. They've all been different characters, stories etc... These are all tying into the same overall story, often overlapping characters etc... There's only so much you can do with the story before it starts feeling tired and contrived.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you are aware of how large the star wars universe is and how varied the characters and the stories are. There is a whole universe of writing about the star wars universe, Pre-Episode 4 and post 6 ... following a bunch of different Characters, different story arcs.

If you don't think there is enough in Star Wars, I don't think you really know Sci Fi fans ...

Yeah, the fact that Star Wars books, comics, cartoons, video games, etc. have been going strong for over 40 years, clearly shows that there's a good market for the franchise.

I'm not a SW geek, but I've read some of the books, played a lot of the games, watched a good chunk of the Clone Wars Series. It's all enjoyable because of the infinite amount of character possibilities.

I'm looking forward to both the Rogue and Solo movies. I've enjoyed all the Ironman, Thor, and Captain America movies. They have not altered one bit my enjoyment of the Avenger movies. If you look at the main Star Wars trilogies as the skeletal and nervous systems of a body, the Rogue and Solo films can be seen as the beginning of fleshing out the body. Although some would accurately argue that Eps. 1-3 were, in reality, the tail end of the digestive system, I think the analogy still works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter