Why the two extra Star Wars films?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So why are they making this Rogue One movie and now one all about Hans Solo ? Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but this seems like overkill , and runs the risk of ruining interest in the main SW movies. Is Disney so desperate for funds that this is a cash grab attempt, hoping to maximize the Star Wars wave? An attempt to keep people interested while it takes them 3 years to pop our another expansion?

As far as cultural zeitgeist goes, Star Wars is cemented into everyone's collective minds. Even people that don't particularly care for it know what it is, or who Darth Vader is for example, so I don't ever see interest for this waning anytime soon. To me, Disney is going to test the waters with this just like every other property that they own. And for good reason; they just set the domestic box office record for The Force Awakens. And also, think about how successful each Marvel movie has been. We have been deluged with Marvel movies since around 2008, and there has not been a significant drop in box office, and I just heard that the latest Captain America movie coming out next month is one of the best yet.

I love that they have started the Star Wars trilogy format again, but I am even more interested to see how the stand alone films are as there are so many directions that they could take them. The possibilities are almost limitless for what kind of movies they could make. I am personally excited for Rogue One as the trailer really surprised me with how good it looked. But in regard to the cash grab statement, well, I pretty much see Disney as one huge, ongoing cash grab. I don't see them as desperate for money at all. They are simply a company that just wants to make more money.

[QUOTlyerjab, post: 55568856, member: 533256"]As far as cultural zeitgeist goes, Star Wars is cemented into everyone's collective minds. Even people that don't particularly care for it know what it is, or who Darth Vader is for example, so I don't ever see interest for this waning anytime soon. To me, Disney is going to test the waters with this just like every other property that they own. And for good reason; they just set the domestic box office record for The Force Awakens. And also, think about how successful each Marvel movie has been. We have been deluged with Marvel movies since around 2008, and there has not been a significant drop in box office, and I just heard that the latest Captain America movie coming out next month is one of the best yet.

I love that they have started the Star Wars trilogy format again, but I am even more interested to see how the stand alone films are as there are so many directions that they could take them. The possibilities are almost limitless for what kind of movies they could make. I am personally excited for Rogue One as the trailer really surprised me with how good it looked. But in regard to the cash grab statement, well, I pretty much see Disney as one huge, ongoing cash grab. I don't see them as desperate for money at all. They are simply a company that just wants to make more money.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the Marvel movies are a very different situation. They've all been different characters, stories etc... These are all tying into the same overall story, often overlapping characters etc... There's only so much you can do with the story before it starts feeling tired and contrived.

So why are they making this Rogue One movie and now one all about Hans Solo ? Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but this seems like overkill , and runs the risk of ruining interest in the main SW movies. Is Disney so desperate for funds that this is a cash grab attempt, hoping to maximize the Star Wars wave? An attempt to keep people interested while it takes them 3 years to pop our another expansion?
For some, there is no need for "an attempt to keep people interested." They are waiting with baited breath for each and every movie that comes out. For those people, there is no such thing as overkill. They watched all of the previous movies in the days counting up to the release of Force Awakens. And now they are counting down to the next release.

If they were talking to you, they would shake their head and say, "you just don't get it."

[QUOTlyerjab, post: 55568856, member: 533256"]As far as cultural zeitgeist goes, Star Wars is cemented into everyone's collective minds. Even people that don't particularly care for it know what it is, or who Darth Vader is for example, so I don't ever see interest for this waning anytime soon. To me, Disney is going to test the waters with this just like every other property that they own. And for good reason; they just set the domestic box office record for The Force Awakens. And also, think about how successful each Marvel movie has been. We have been deluged with Marvel movies since around 2008, and there has not been a significant drop in box office, and I just heard that the latest Captain America movie coming out next month is one of the best yet.

I love that they have started the Star Wars trilogy format again, but I am even more interested to see how the stand alone films are as there are so many directions that they could take them. The possibilities are almost limitless for what kind of movies they could make. I am personally excited for Rogue One as the trailer really surprised me with how good it looked. But in regard to the cash grab statement, well, I pretty much see Disney as one huge, ongoing cash grab. I don't see them as desperate for money at all. They are simply a company that just wants to make more money.

Yes, but the Marvel movies are a very different situation. They've all been different characters, stories etc... These are all tying into the same overall story, often overlapping characters etc... There's only so much you can do with the story before it starts feeling tired and contrived.[/QUOTE]

I think once they are done with the new trilogy, they will move on to different characters and storylines. I actually like the idea. I'm not a fan of a lot of the super hero stuff that's out there, it's just never been my thing. So for me, it's nice to have something that I can enjoy.

If it's done right, I don't think it'll be overkill.

It's a blatant cash grab. They spent a fortune on the acquisition and now they're going to make every penny they can on it.

Fortunately it looks like the next few movies will be good, but if they try to maintain the yearly release schedule they will run it into the ground.

Disney has said there will be a Star Wars movie every year until 2021. I'm sure it will continue after that too. It's incredibly popular and will make them a ton of money.

25 years of expanded universe has shown there are interesting stories out there. Considering how many books, shows, games, and collectibles that have been spawned from the EU, I don't see why movies should be left out. Considering that the average person is not exposed to any of this movies are generally the best way to open them up to the bigger audience. The Han Solo movie is supposedly his younger days so we might see the story of him being an imperial officer and turning when he rescues Chewbacca.

First off Disney is not desperate for funds. THey may have issues like Shanghai but they still make billions of dollars a year. They do think like cuts to maximise profits so that investors and stock owners are satisfied. To put it simply stock owners don't want to see them make only 7 billion when last year they made 9. They want them to make 11. And Disney announced from day one that there would be 5 star wars movies. 3 of the trilogy and 2 off movies. Personally I think that's great. I think rogue one looks better than Ep. 7. I belive they are just trying to appease to every star wars demographic and expand the universe as much as they can without doing what George Lucas did, which was license out star wars and let the expanded universe run wild and untamed

I just got my daughter hooked on Star Wars. She's 10. She LOVED the Force Awakens and is so crazy excited for Rogue One! Me too. I say two new movies per year please.

I'm a long-time Star Wars nerd and personally I have little interest in the other two movies. I'm about completing the trilogy and that's about it but I've always thought of Star Wars as being about 9 movies with the rest just being extra.

Disney is striking quickly while the iron is hot. I do believe that any franchise can get old to people if overdone but it's hard to guess where that line is.

So, I just showed the trailer for Rogue One to my son.

I can't explain how, well, gleeful he was. He can't wait for it to come out.

star wars is a cash cow.
why not make more movies especially now that they are creating an entire star wars themed area?

to me 1, 2, and 3 ruined the originals.
i'm glad the latest one was not a prequel.

and i'm glad they are moving so quickly on this.
i think they realize that people want the next movie asap not years down the line like is happening with POTC.

star wars is a cash cow.
why not make more movies especially now that they are creating an entire star wars themed area?

to me 1, 2, and 3 ruined the originals.
i'm glad the latest one was not a prequel.

and i'm glad they are moving so quickly on this.
i think they realize that people want the next movie asap not years down the line like is happening with POTC.

Actually...they moved "fast" with pirates and killed it. Then they tried to figure out how the heck to "rescue it" and keep it going...they're still trying

Actually...they moved "fast" with pirates and killed it. Then they tried to figure out how the heck to "rescue it" and keep it going...they're still trying

the POTC movies were 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2011.
sure maybe the third came out "too fast" but now there's SIX YEARS between 4 and 5.
i had hoped for another one to come out in 2014 initially.

the POTC movies were 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2011.
sure maybe the third came out "too fast" but now there's SIX YEARS between 4 and 5.
i had hoped for another one to come out in 2014 initially.

That's not quite how it went...it was supposed to be 3 and the last one was largely panned.

But Disney liked the franchise and depp liked the big checks...so they are 9 years into franchise no man's land currently.

That's not quite how it went...it was supposed to be 3 and the last one was largely panned.

But Disney liked the franchise and depp liked the big checks...so they are 9 years into franchise no man's land currently.

To be fair he says he likes working with Disney because his kids can watch the movies, and who knows how long he'll be able to keep acting for, the man is blind as a bat and his vision only keeps getting worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter