Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies! - A Dec. 2013 TR *Completed

Wow, thank you everyone for subscribing and choosing to read along. You all made my day.

I'll try not to disappoint...

Bear with me on this one update. It's the obligatory
in preparation to leave/not actually Disney World related post.

We all have them.

They're sort of like vegetables. Nobody is overly THRILLED to see those greens taking up half the plate, stealing the precious room of carbs, but they complete the meal and allow you to enjoy some cheesecake for dessert.

Jeez, I encouraged sugar cookie consumption in my first post, now I'm bragging about cake- can you tell I'm on the Disney de-tox currently? The lack of desserts with every meal and the missing snack at 4 o'clock in the afternoon is hitting me hard.

:lmao:

Completely off topic, I apologize.
However, if you want to get technical, this whole update will be off topic, since it will have nothing to do with Walt Disney World.

Hmmm.

(Disney does make an appearance here and there, though!)

Okay, okay, here goes, the official beginning!

It was a cold, dreary winter's night-
No, no, no, I'm just kidding.

I live in Florida. I was wearing shorts and a tank top the day before we left.
:rotfl2:

In all seriousness, now:
Our journey begins on Nov. 24th. It was Alex's first day of leave, and we spent the afternoon at my parent's house, dropping off some extra luggage for my mother to bring down and saying farewell to our dog. My father and younger brother were in charge of keeping him fed, entertained, and non suicidal while Alex and I were away.
(Our puppy has separation anxiety and can be a bit high strung, so leaving is always stressful on him.)

And seeing as there was another cranky old dog and 2 cats that were to be his temporary roommates for the next 2 weeks, Buster barely noticed when we hightailed it back to our house.

Approximately 45 minutes separates my house from my family's, so Alex and I snagged a quick dinner at a drive through. (Landon was in the car, too, just so you know.:rotfl:) Back at home, Alex ate, then went upstairs to go to sleep. (It was around 7 o'clock.)

Landon and I manned downstairs for the evening. He took over the living room floor with his toys (this is nothing new) while I put on my football game.

That would be the Broncos-Patriots game for those wondering.

It was a pretty boring first half, then around 10:30pm, when Landon broke my one time allowance of letting him stay up past his bedtime by passing out on my chest, the game went into the 4th quarter (and eventually overtime) and became interesting.

Like any loyal fan, I cheered and rooted and yelled at the refs.

In my head....
:rolleyes:

I couldn't raise my voice in fear of Alex waking, and doing so much as shaking my fist at the tv could have caused Landon to stir.
The game ended by 11:30, I dozed until midnight, Alex woke up and grabbed a quick shower.

Awake, we loaded the car, and at 1:00am, we were pulling out of our driveway.
If you'd like to see a very dark and very random video of our departure, it is
HERE

We had decided a month prior to make the 7 hour drive in the middle of the night, due to Landon being a HORRIBLE sleeper. We didn't want him sleeping all day in the carseat and staying up all night. Keeping him on a somewhat normal schedule was a our goal for this first week of vacation.

The decision to drive through the night worked out well. Alex listened to the DIS podcasts throughout the drive while I slept off and on. Our car is not very nap-friendly, I have since discovered. There is no comfortable place for your head to lay, so no matter what you do you either have the seatbelt clasp jabbing you in your lower back or your neck is crooked at an awkward 45 degrees.

:headache:

Our destination was Cape Canaveral, better known for its cruise ship ports more than anything else. Alex's parents had recently relocated there, (they used to live about 20 minutes away from there) and we were going down to visit and celebrate Thanksgiving together.

As it turns out, staying in their townhome for those 6 days was a perfect prelude to Disney.
I fell in love with my surroundings. Every morning, I handed Landon over to the grandparents for a short while and ate breakfast and drank my coffee on the back porch, where I could feel the ocean breeze hitting my face.

Just sitting with the bedroom window open, hearing the ocean in the distance, was relaxing, and I really felt as if I were on vacation.
I say that because I used to live in that general area, and up until then, it never felt like a holiday, going back.

There's a clear difference between visiting family and vacationing. I'm not saying one is bad or one is preferential, I'm just saying I never felt the words were synonymous.

This trip, though, changed my mind.

Since I could probably go on and on about our week at the beach, I'll give a quick day by day breakdown of the fun and interesting events that transpired.

Tuesday, Nov. 26th:

Alex went out in search of some item or another, and while he was driving he discovered we were down the street from:

Disboards store.jpg

The DISboards welcome center!

That was pretty cool.

We must have driven by it a dozen times while we were there. It was on the main road right outside of my in-law's neighborhood. We debated going in a few times, but by the time we'd worked up the gumption to do it, they were closed for the holiday.
Oh well, it isn't going anywhere. (Far as I know.)

Wednesday, Nov. 27th:

Landon got to visit the city where I lived for several years, eat at one of my favorite local restaurants, and he met a few family friends of mine.

On the way back home, we passed a Disney ship in port. I want to say it was the Dream, but I could be mistaken.
HERE is a video of us driving by.

Doesn't it look lovely? I wish pictures and videos would capture the sheer size and scale of those ships. They're huge, and they make quite the sight driving past them.

That evening, we walked down a short path and took Landon to the beach for the first time.
Yet another video:
HERE

We do live near a beach of our own (well, a beach in general- we don't have ownership rights. Although wouldn't that be spectacular?! A personal Castaway Cay...I do believe I found a new lottery dream.:cloud9:) Landon was too young to take him to one over this past summer, and he'd just reached that magical age where he can wear sunscreen, so that would be why his first beach visit was 7 hours south of a more convenient one.

We never do anything the easy way, us guys....

Thursday, Nov. 28th:

Thanksgiving Day was busy, bustling, loud, hectic, and all together cheery. We started off going to a relative's house to visit a string of extended family, and upon returning home, there were more family members visiting at the house.

I want to say there was about 20 adults and 3 infants in that one little townhouse. But the wine was flowing, the laughs were easy to come by, the weather was cool, and the games were playing so it was a festive and fun atmosphere.

There was a launch that we all tried to see from the beach. But it got scrubbed for a second time, so that was a no go.

Everyone was entertained along the walk there, though, by the mass gathering of the resident peacocks:

Peacocks.jpg

They inhabit my in-law's neighborhood, and they are extremely vocal at 5 o'clock in the morning. Especially when your bedroom window is open...

Who needs roosters when you can have peacocks?
:sad2:

Thanksgiving Dinner was delicious, although finding space to eat was hard to come by:
Thanksgiving Dinner.jpg
(A mere half of the dinner table.)

And Landon enjoyed playing with some cousins of his:

Dsc01870.jpg

Overall, it was a fabulous week.

My father in-law is a former chef/restaurant owner and my sisters are bakers, so every meal I ate was superb. I believe all my facebook friends believed I'd died and gone to food nirvana, because all I posted were food pictures. I got so spoiled by homemade French Onion Soup, homemade apple pie, homemade stuffing and gravy.

I wish I could include taste bites into my post, just so you all could understand how wonderful my meals were.

And the best part?
I didn't have to cook!
:worship:

To offset such goodies, Alex kept up with running, and I took a few walks, one of which was a 4 miler. Had to quiet the health conscious part of my brain somehow. Besides, walking along the residential condos and timeshares with the beach in the background isn't the worst way to spend one's afternoon.

Saturday afternoon, as Alex and I were lounging around listening to a podcast, we heard this deep, loud, kind of random noise resonate from far off in the distance.
It was followed shortly thereafter by the more distinct "It's a Small World" melody.

The Disney Fantasy was leaving port and was blowing its horns!

Too cool.

Alex and I were giddy with amusement over hearing the ship's horns from our room.
It sealed the deal of that house being one of the nicest places to live.

I mean, getting to hear the Disney ships all the time...how entertaining would that be?

Like I said, that week was a great thing for my family. Aside from the fact that our family got to spend a lot of time with Landon, Alex and I were able to ease the baby into traveling mode. He got a sense of normalcy with a regular schedule (eating at normal times, napping in a room, etc) while also understanding that we weren't at home with his toys and his familiar surroundings.

It also gave Alex and I that sense of relaxation and rest that we wanted.

Because, spoiler alert, we didn't rest too much at Disney.

So to be able to let a family member babysit Landon while we took an afternoon cat nap or simply strolled down to the beach for a quick sunset viewing was invaluable. We really felt like we got that time away from work and obligations and the help with the baby was unbelievable.

A lot of the times we come back from Disney feeling as if we needed a vacation from our vacation, and with this trip, we got that break early on.

Plus, Cape Canaveral prepared us for what was coming in Disney.

Which was, the wrath of Landon.

Landon was never a good sleeper to begin with, and he only napped for 30 minutes at a time, so we were expecting a bit of trouble while we were gone. He was bunking in his Pack & Play in our room, which we knew would lead to some sleep confusion.

But holy moly, goodness gracious!

There's a reason Alex and I took a couple afternoon naps.
The little guy woke up every 2 hours the entire week!

Ugh.

Landon told us loud and clear what he thought of the whole traveling bit, usually beginning around 1am and going on and on until about 5am. It made Alex and I VERY nervous about Disney, and we left Cape Canaveral with more than a little apprehension.

Would these nighttime parties continue on in the room at Pop? Would Alex and I be completely haggard throughout our whole trip? Would Landon cooperate and at least nap in the afternoons?

It was something only time would tell.

Up Next: Arriving at Disney World!

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys had a great vacation up until your Disney vacation! Cape Canaveral sounds like an awesome place to live, I never really gave it much thought other than that's where NASA is, but I bet it's lovely seeing all of those cruise ships all the time! :cool1:

Aww, poor Landon, waking up every 2 hours! Traveling must be hard on babies! I hope he was better for you in Disney!

Sounds like a nice first part of your vacation! Very relaxing. I'm so jealous of the baby-free time you got to enjoy...you're right about not getting that at Disney. And I also wish you could do taste samples of your food for us. Sounds great! I really hope Landon was able to get better sleep at Pop. That would be rough.

Totally had me thinking about Snoopy and his "it was a dark and stormy night". :lmao:

Wow, how cool that you were down the street from the DISboards welcome center!

I would be giddy too if I could hear the ship's horns in my room too!

Poor Landon waking up every two hours! Hopefully it somewhat normalized for you at Disney.

Hi, welcome home... I guess. :confused3 :lmao:

I wouldn't want anything less than the truth in a TR. I always try to tell both sides, and I look forward to seeing how your first trip with Landon went. :thumbsup2

It definitely is a blessing to have some extra hands around to give you a break. It is just too bad that Landon didn't want to cooperate at night. It looks like it was a great week with family though. And I really wish you could include taste bites in the post when you talk about all that food. :rolleyes1

I'm going to call you on it right now. You have to go back to the Disboards welcome center next time. I want pictures from the inside. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I'm following along too, as I just started one myself!!

I LOVE reports with babies and in fact, I have a Landen myself.. ( We spell ours with a e) We also have a Lawson! :)

Don't you just hate the " Oh, there not going to remember".. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Heard that many, many times as our 5 year old has been three times and our 2 year old- twice.

You are absolutely correct in saying " But I will". Just b/c they won't remember, what do you do? Lock em up in a closet until they go to Kindergarten. LOL....

Maybe this update wasn't at Disney, but I really enjoyed it! The videos were too cute. :)

Sounds like it was an awesome week with family! Oh and by the way, I would've freaked out about hearing the Disney ship's horns as well! That's amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Love it so far! It sounds like a great and relaxing thanksgiving (minus the no sleep part). DH and I only recently started taking time for just our little family while visiting relatives and it makes t so much more like a vacation (not that I don't also love the time with the relatives).

I can't wait to hear how Disney went!

Sounds like you guys had a great vacation up until your Disney vacation! Cape Canaveral sounds like an awesome place to live, I never really gave it much thought other than that's where NASA is, but I bet it's lovely seeing all of those cruise ships all the time! :cool1:

Aww, poor Landon, waking up every 2 hours! Traveling must be hard on babies! I hope he was better for you in Disney!

That area is actually really nice. I lived nearby for about 4 years, and I do miss it there. Seeing those cruise ships everyday, though, made me want to go on one! I can now see why my in-laws take so many trips a year. :rotfl:

Sounds like a nice first part of your vacation! Very relaxing. I'm so jealous of the baby-free time you got to enjoy...you're right about not getting that at Disney. And I also wish you could do taste samples of your food for us. Sounds great! I really hope Landon was able to get better sleep at Pop. That would be rough.

The baby-free time was so nice. I was spoiled by it, for sure. It was never for long periods of time, but still....30 minutes of peace and quiet is 30 minutes of relaxation. :rotfl2:

Totally had me thinking about Snoopy and his "it was a dark and stormy night". :lmao:

Wow, how cool that you were down the street from the DISboards welcome center!

I would be giddy too if I could hear the ship's horns in my room too!

Poor Landon waking up every two hours! Hopefully it somewhat normalized for you at Disney.

Hearing the ships was really cool and completely unexpected. I didn't think we were close enough, but they proved me wrong. Amusingly enough, nobody else in the house heard it. They'd learned to tune the sound out.

I don't think I could ever tune out Disney music. :rotfl:

Hi, welcome home... I guess. :confused3 :lmao:

I wouldn't want anything less than the truth in a TR. I always try to tell both sides, and I look forward to seeing how your first trip with Landon went. :thumbsup2

It definitely is a blessing to have some extra hands around to give you a break. It is just too bad that Landon didn't want to cooperate at night. It looks like it was a great week with family though. And I really wish you could include taste bites in the post when you talk about all that food. :rolleyes1

I'm going to call you on it right now. You have to go back to the Disboards welcome center next time. I want pictures from the inside. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I know, I know, I kick myself for not stopping in the first day we saw the building. Probably because we would've ended up booking another trip with one of their travel agents, just to say we had an excuse to go in. :lmao:

I'm following along too, as I just started one myself!!

I LOVE reports with babies and in fact, I have a Landen myself.. ( We spell ours with a e) We also have a Lawson! :)

Don't you just hate the " Oh, there not going to remember".. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Heard that many, many times as our 5 year old has been three times and our 2 year old- twice.

You are absolutely correct in saying " But I will". Just b/c they won't remember, what do you do? Lock em up in a closet until they go to Kindergarten. LOL....

Landon's (or Landen's) a great name, right? Obviously, we both have good taste. :rotfl2:

I don't listen too much to the people who say they won't remember. This trip was mostly about Alex and myself; we missed Disney too much to stay away! Besides, that's what pictures are for.

Maybe this update wasn't at Disney, but I really enjoyed it! The videos were too cute. :)

Sounds like it was an awesome week with family! Oh and by the way, I would've freaked out about hearing the Disney ship's horns as well! That's amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It was pretty awesome to hear!

Love it so far! It sounds like a great and relaxing thanksgiving (minus the no sleep part). DH and I only recently started taking time for just our little family while visiting relatives and it makes t so much more like a vacation (not that I don't also love the time with the relatives).

I can't wait to hear how Disney went!

I look at it as a win-win situation. The extended family wants to spend time with the baby and get to know them, and they appreciate us not hovering over them the entire time. I think it earned me a ton of brownie points with my sister in-law that I trusted her enough to walk out of the room while she had Landon. :thumbsup2 And us parents get that free time to relax and enjoy carrying on an adult conversation without worrying about the little one.

Wow! Leaving at 1am sounds so funny but your reasons make total sense. :thumbsup2
Your inlaws' place sounds so wonderful. Glad you had a good time there. Thanksgiving sounds great too. :thumbsup2

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas holiday! Landon's first Christmas was fantastic, and I dare say it was one of my favorites. Alex has been off for 9 days :-)eek:) so that in combination with the holiday festivities is the reason why this update took so long.

Sunday, December 1st, 2013:

It was here!

Our Disney day!

As per his habit, Landon woke up at 7 am, and Alex and I gave up the battle of trying to wrestle him back to sleep. We were both too excited for our Disney World arrival and too tired to fight him.

Parenthood is all about picking your battles, and that morning Landon won.

Landon wins a lot, actually.

Oh well, hes always fed, bathed, clothed, and entertained, so I say were winning the war.

Back in the planning stages of this trip, I'd assumed some family members would be around to talk and perhaps share a late breakfast with. I didn't want to be the jerk that had us bolting out of the house the minute the sun was up, so I scheduled an easy going morning.
As it turns out, both of Alex's parents had to work. His dad was gone by the time we woke up, and his mom had just enough time to hold Landon for a few minutes before she had to make her exit.

There we were, not even eight in the morning, all alone, with only the family dog for company.

Huh.

Best laid plans, right?

I still had a little packing to do (the great thing about visiting relatives? Free laundry machines) so Alex took the baby downstairs to play with all his toys while I gathered up the suitcases.

We weren't rushing.

If anything, we were taking our time, letting Landon burn off as much energy as possible.

8:30 crept by; Alex loaded up the car, if for nothing else than to give him something to do.

9:00am: I drank a second cup of coffee. Why not? We weren't doing anything.

Landon began to get a little fussy; he wanted to go down for his morning nap, but we wanted him to wait until the car ride.

Alex flipped through the tv and managed to find a Baby Channel.

Best. Thing. Ever!

That station was like baby crack. There was one segment that played Peek A Boo for five minutes.

It had Landon enthralled.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

Which, in turn, gave us parents a chance to take turns finishing up what we needed to do.

By 9:15, we were walking the dog one last time.

It was weird sitting around someone else's empty house, thinking about what we should do. Finally, I just said it was dumb, wasting all this precious Disney time, so we left almost an hour and a half earlier than planned.

Not that anyone's complaining.

Getting to Disney ahead of schedule is much preferable to the alternative.

On our way out of town we spotted yet another Disney ship in port:

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

That made 3 ship sightings in one week.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the Disney Gods were trying to get us to book another cruise.

:rotfl:

Disney is only 45 minutes away from Port Canaveral (in case anyone wants to know) so the drive was a fast and easy one. Ironically enough, that is also Landon's normal nap length, so it all worked out perfectly.
He snoozed in the back, Alex drove, I tried dropping subtle hints that nobody picked up...

:rolleyes1

Alex and I have a tradition of going to Downtown Disney on our arrival day. This is usually because it is convenient. A great place to go to kill time until check-in, and it doesn't cost anything to park or get in.

With our 4th trip beginning, I didn't want to break tradition, HOWEVER...

We'd just been to DTD 2 months ago.

(We'd made a weekend trip to his parents place.)

And while I love shopping like the next person, this time we had tickets! We had a whole day! We had time!
Were we really going to use that extra and unexpected time in the shopping district?

It didn't seem advantageous.

So, I kept commenting on how great it was that we were getting into Disney before lunch.
I said a few times, "We could always go ride Small World before it closes."

"Wouldnt it be crazy if we went into a park?"

I even went with the less subtle, "Are we really using this extra time for Downtown Disney?"

My suggestions fell on deaf ears, though. Either Alex didn't hear me (I know he tunes me out 90% of the time) or he did not want to change the plans, because we pulled into the DTD parking lot.

I know the parking lots in that area have become a madhouse since all the construction began, but we got amazingly lucky and found a spot immediately.

I think it had a lot to do with us getting there so early, because when we were leaving there were cars stalking guests with bags, hoping to take their spot.

I let out a sigh.

Oh well.

Downtown Disney wouldn't kill me.
Plus, it'd give us the chance to activate the hundred thousand vouchers we were carrying around.

Landon was ready to get out of his restraints.

01.jpg

And Alex was ready with the stroller.

02.jpg

And here folks, is where I will first introduce you to the bane of my trip. I named it P.I.T.A. (pain in the...) but its actual term was Diaper Bag.

03.jpg

Diaper Bag from down below, that is.

It was awful!

:furious:

I don't think there's a bigger, bulkier, heavy backpack in existence.

And uncomfortable. Oh my goodness, the bottom dug into your lower back and made you feel like you were getting strong-armed backwards.

Naturally, I did not know any of this when I chose this backpack to be our park bag/diaper bag for the trip. I just assumed since it was roomy and durable, it would fit the bill.

How little I knew.

So, with P.I.T.A. in the stroller seat, Alex carrying the kid, and me pushing the stroller, we hiked up to the entrance of DTD. Alex wanted to immediately start shopping, but I felt it was more prudent to go to Guest Services and knock out the necessary stuff first.

There was a decent enough line inside Guest Services, so we settled Landon into his stroller and began our wait.

It was when we were about the 3rd family back that I had an Uh-oh! moment.

The first one, that is.

"Alex, do you think I'll need my drivers license?"

He gave me
THE LOOK.

THE LOOK is a combination of worry, fear, and just a tiny hint of frustration that I tend to get a lot in Disney. It makes its appearance any time I do something silly, say something wrong, or just overall exasperate my husband.

THE LOOK loves to come out on our trips, and I think it took pride in having to only wait 15 minutes before getting called to duty.

"Why do you ask?"

"For our Annual Passes, to prove I'm a FL resident, don't I need my license."

"Yeahhhh?"

"We might have a problem then."

You see, at home, I'm bad about switching how I carry my important documents. If I'm going out alone, I throw my wallet, keys, phone in the diaper bag that way I only have one thing to keep up with. But if I'm dropping the baby off or if Alex is coming with me, I'll usually throw everything back in my purse and carry both.

Well, while we were in Port Canaveral I used the old diaper bag. Our regular one. Not P.I.T.A.
And I thought I forgot to move my wallet.

Alex exhaled. Loudly. "I'll run back to the car."

"No! That'd be ridiculous."

"It's not that far from here. I could make it back in time."

"Don't. I don't think we need it. And it'd be stupid to go all the way out there for my mistake."

"It's not that big a deal. I'll go."

"Don't. Let's just drop it."

We moved up another space.
Alex opened up the backpack to pull out our tickets, and while we was at it, he figured he'd unzip all the pockets.

Just to look.

And, lo and behold!

His hand comes out with my wallet!

Oh! Thats right! I DID remember to put it in there!

I was so embarrassed. Did I really think Id forgotten my wallet? How could I have managed that?:confused3 I'm normally so great about keeping everything organized and planned. Before Landon, that would never have happened. The priorities had shifted to making sure I had diapers and wipes and clean onsies. Making sure I had everything I needed was not on the top of my list.

But still. Its not like we were rushing out the door or anything.
If misplacing my wallet happened when I was taking my time, what was this trip going to be like when we began rushing?

Alex shot me THE LOOK again, and said, "I cant believe you almost had me walk back to the car. When it wasn't even there."

"Hey, at least we realized before then. It would've really sucked if you'd have been searching for nothing."

Luckily, I was saved a reply by a Cast Member calling us up to the desk.

Activating our vouchers and getting our passes went smoothly, even the linking to the MagicBands bit. There was one instant when I freaked out about making sure the right vouchers went onto the correct MDE accounts. (We'd linked them earlier so we could get Fastpasses.)
In order to keep track of whose was whose, I'd written initials on the paper vouchers.

The only issue is, when Alex was talking to the CM, he said, "Yeah, this one is mine, it has the A.W. on it."

"Wait, wait, wait! That could be mine!"

That outburst caused me an agitated look from both people.

But it was true! Alex and I have the same initials. Heck, we have the same first two letters in our name. Marking things is real fun for us...

"Alex, seriously, that could be my ticket. Here, pull the other one out."

"Alicia...fine. See, the other one has an ACW on it. It's yours. This one is APW."

"Well, you didnt say APW, you just said AW. How was I supposed to know?"

Nothing says family vacation like getting snippy with each other in front of employees.

The poor Cast Member was clearly uncomfortable and wanted us gone. She very quickly gave Alex the number to call so we could buy MVMCP tickets and ushered us over to Photopass counter.

Sorry, Guest Services Relations worker, you just got an inside scoop at what sleep deprivation will do to two of the happiest people.

(And yes, I did need my driver's license, in case anyone was curious.)

Activating our PP+ was painless, thank goodness, but we weren't asked if we wanted to link it to our bands. They just gave us the lanyard and explained when it expired and where we could get photos taken.

By the time we walked out of the building, it was 11:30am. It had taken an hour to get everything sorted out, and we still had my moms tickets to worry about once she arrived.

Jeez.

Alex thought it was finally time to shop, but I burst his bubble once again and said lunch was in order.

I was really raining on that boys parade...

We'd had Wolfgang Puck Express on our last visit, so it was Earl of Sandwich's turn.
I didn't even try to stand in line with the baby and the stroller. I gave Alex my order and went and found a seat with Landon.
04.jpg

Entertained with his favorite toy, Landon was a happy camper for the time being.

05.jpg

Since I had a free minute, I took the time to take the first holiday decoration picture:

06.jpg

It was very exciting, seeing all the decorations up.

The two of us waited and waited. Alex came out, dropped off our water cups and some napkins, went back inside. We waited some more.

:rolleyes1

Landon began to get antsy in the chair. Hes a great tablemate, but an 8 month old can only last for so long. I pulled out the Peek A Boo card, then the cell phone one, and that seemed to help. He knew he doesn't normally get Mom and Dad's gadgets, so he was taking advantage of the gift while he could.

Meanwhile, I took a few more photos just to pass the time.
07.jpg

Right around the time I was about to call Alex and say we couldn't sit around anymore, he walked out with our food.

I looked at the time.
It had taken 25 minutes to order and eat.

:sad2:

I know Earl of Sandwich is always busy, but that seemed extreme. We've never waited that long for our order before, even when it was busier than that day. I was hoping that was not going to be a sign of the week to come and let it go. We had our food, lets just eat and move on.

Alex got his traditional Club:

08.jpg

One of my To-Do's for this vacation was to try the Holiday Sandwich. But, I'd been eating my own version of the meal for the past 3 days. We'd had a bunch of leftovers at his parent's house, so I was all turkey'd out. (I'm all turkey'd out now, too. I made so much food for Christmas, I don't think Ill ever see the backside of my fridge again.)

So, instead of getting one, I got my usual Hawaiian Barbeque.
f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

It was as good as I remembered it and fit the bill. Meanwhile, Landon got pieces of Alex's turkey. In Landon's mind, that was the best food he'd eaten all day.

09.jpg

I couldn't give him the meat fast enough. People around us were beginning to laugh at his insistent screams when I took too long.

Landon is probably the loudest baby you'll ever meet, and he has zero patience, so when hes ready for another bite, he does what we call the HULK move. Where he clenches his fists, tightens all his muscles, shakes, and yells.

Hes not upset per say, but he's definitely ready for attention. And if that means he gets it from everyone in the restaurant, so be it.

While he was eating, Alex and I started getting offhand comments from strangers.

"Look at how cute he is."

"Oh, he is just a ham. How old is he?"

We were asked twice, "Are those prescription glasses?"

Alex and I left lunch, not thinking much of it. That's sort of normal for outings. Most people are curious and surprised that today's technology allows babies to wear glasses, so we've become accustomed to the questions. Nobody's ever rude, so we don't mind.

So, was it shopping time yet?
Alex was practically salivating at the chance to go into World of Disney. He'd already been waiting 2 hours.

Well?

Not quite.

It was time for a diaper change and milk.
10.jpg

Another half hour (more or less) down and finally, FINALLY, we could head over to the other side of Downtown Disney.

Wow.

Either time sped up or events passed slower now that we had a baby.

I was a bit shocked at how much time it took just to feed, change, and entertain the baby. At home, I never paid much attention it. Aside from making sure I made appointments on time, I never had a time crunch to worry about, so I never thought about it.

But now. Now I realized my normal Disney pace was about to be slowed down 1,000%. These first couple hours alone we a huge learning experience, and we hadn't even gotten anything accomplished!

What an adventure already.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

You sound like me- dropping the subtle hints!! I do it all the time to my hubs! Haha- Love it!!!

Can't get over Landon's cuteness!!

I can really relate to your update! Totally understand the switching your stuff between diaper bags and purse and losing track of where everything is. Also completely know what you mean about the peek-a-boo card and cell phone card! And we got a lot of random baby commentary as well. Landon is quite the cutie, though!

This is an adorable picture because, I swear, they both have the same expression on their faces.

The Hulk move for food? That is too funny and too cute! :rotfl: I can't believe you were already successful in training your little guy to love EOS. Way to go mom! :thumbsup2

Yay for getting an early start! And Yay for arriving on Disney property. Can't wait to see where your next stop is.

I'm sorry that Alex didn't get your "subtle" hints about going directly to a park. :lmao::rotfl2: I have to agree with you though. If I get a couple of extra Disney hours, I'd want to be in park. I see how you managed to get your passive aggressive payback though. Stopping by guest services, then lunch and a diaper change before going into the stores... Well played... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

You sound like me- dropping the subtle hints!! I do it all the time to my hubs! Haha- Love it!!!

Can't get over Landon's cuteness!!

We can always hope one day our husbands will recognize the subtle hints and listen. :rotfl2:

I can really relate to your update! Totally understand the switching your stuff between diaper bags and purse and losing track of where everything is. Also completely know what you mean about the peek-a-boo card and cell phone card! And we got a lot of random baby commentary as well. Landon is quite the cutie, though!

I think we know who's the cutest Disney girl that was there in December and who was the cutest boy. :lmao: I'm pretty sure between our 2 reports there's just going to be an overload of cuteness.

Hi Alicia! I'm joining in and reading along about Landon's 1st Disney trip! Awesome!

Oh, yay! Thank you for joining!:goodvibes

This is an adorable picture because, I swear, they both have the same expression on their faces.

The Hulk move for food? That is too funny and too cute! :rotfl: I can't believe you were already successful in training your little guy to love EOS. Way to go mom! :thumbsup2

Yay for getting an early start! And Yay for arriving on Disney property. Can't wait to see where your next stop is.

Haha, I hadn't noticed that before, but yes, they do have the same expression.

Landon can clear a room at restaurants with that Hulk move. It's so loud, but I've learned to accept it. He's a very outspoken baby.

I'm sorry that Alex didn't get your "subtle" hints about going directly to a park. :lmao::rotfl2: I have to agree with you though. If I get a couple of extra Disney hours, I'd want to be in park. I see how you managed to get your passive aggressive payback though. Stopping by guest services, then lunch and a diaper change before going into the stores... Well played... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I have my tricks. :lmao:

Sunday, December 1st, 2013:

With our tickets activated, our bellies full, and diapers changed, there was nothing stopping us from doing a little shopping.

I think Alex would have left me on a bench if I'd suggested anything else. He was at his limit!

The first store was one we'd never been in before. Once Upon a Toy.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

I loved how the store had both a train and a monorail set displayed. The monorail was much cooler, in my opinion. I'd never seen one out of its box before and had no idea you could open and close the doors.

I know what we'll be investing in for future Christmases!

Farther back in the store, they had a giant Olaf out.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

We hadn't seen Frozen yet, but we'd read enough reviews to know he was a great character, so a picture was in order. And now, having seen the film, I have to agree. Olaf stole all the scenes.

"Winter is a good time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in summer and I'll be a...

HAPPY SNOWMAN!"

Anyone else laugh out loud during that scene?

No? Just me?

Okay, then.

Landon's obsessed with plushes, especially the fluffy round ones, and in every store we go into, we can't help but hold a few up for him to see. I'm sure one of these days he's going to develop the nasty habit of wanting those toys and we'll have to stop, otherwise we'll end up buying out a toy store's worth of characters. But for the time being he just smiles and smiles at his old friends.

On that day, Flounder was his plush of choice.

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

I put Flounder back on its shelf, and Alex pushed the stroller towards the exit. It was fun to explore the store, but we didn't see anything we absolutely had to have.

On the way out, there was this 3 or 4 year old little girl who began staring at Landon.
You know how kids are. They are, by nature, curious and don't know anything about subtlety, so when they see a baby with glasses, their eyes get wide, they point and start tugging on their parent's arm, whispering loudly, "Look! Look at that!"

It's always adorable, and Landon loves when the big kids show him attention. He loves all forms of attention, but adults are boring and don't understand him like his peers do. It's all about his friends with him.

Well, this little girl that was in Once Upon a Toy got tunnel vision with Landon. She veered away from her dad, got this trance-like look in her eyes, and began making a B-line for us. She never even noticed the stroller that got in her way, sending her stumbling sideways.

The dad hurried over, shaking his head. Once the little girl realized Landon's parents had watched her blatant staring and little stumble, she became super shy and was very clearly embarrassed. As was the father.

The whole thing was ridiculously cute.

::yes::

If she zoned out over a baby with glasses, what was she like with the princesses? Or with her favorite costume character? Her favorite ride?

A delicious looking cookie?

That was one very focused little kid.

Making sure not to take out any other small children along the way, Alex and I went over to Pin Traders and went on a bit of a spending spree. Pins are my favorite souvenir to buy, and I just couldn't decide which ones I liked best, so I bought them all.
:rotfl2:

So what? It was vacation. I was allowed to.

With about 8 new pins between us, we all hiked over to the other side of the park so Alex could shop at his favorite store.

Along the way, we began a little game.

It was called, How Many Ooohs and Aaaahs can Landon get at DTD?

I wish I were being facetious when I said every ten feet or so someone would turn their heads and go, "Awww!"

I didn't know what to do or even how to take all the attention. It was kind of crazy.

The crowds had finally arrived by the time we'd walked past Fulton's.

f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr​

The three of us made our way inside the Vinylmation headquarters, D Street, so that Alex could pick up a few more Marvel sets. I also bought him one for Christmas, which was pretty cool. It was a Hawkeye Vinyl with a Captain America one inside a mystery box. Easy, easy gift.

The Cast Member checking us out used to have a timeshare at the beach I live at, so we chatted for a bit. I think my favorite thing about shopping at Disney is that I talk to a lot of Cast Members and get to learn some interesting facts. Where else can you speak to someone who grew up in Puerto Rico one minute, then ask someone from New York a question the next?

Just one of those little Disney details that make the place so great.

On the way out of the store, I spotted these on display:
01.jpg

02.jpg

If you're looking for Christmas ideas, Alex...

(Vanellope's only a couple hundred bucks.)

Alex made a trade, ending up with a Marvel Vinyl, bought two boxes, then we all went outside so he could open them.
The first one was the Hulk, which looked really cool. And slightly ironic, since that's Landon's alter ego.

The second was Nick Fury, I believe?

03.jpg

At that point, we'd accumulated about 5 figures from the series, and I was Marvel'd out. I told Alex if I saw another Superhero I was going to start buying princess ornaments for the Christmas tree.

My favorite store was knocked out, Alex's favorite store was finished with, it was time to buy Landon's souvenir for the trip.

Back to the other side of Downtown Disney we went!

04.jpg

Some more holiday decorations that were on display:

05.jpg

Landon had fallen asleep by that point, so Alex and I went into World of Disney with him passed out in the stroller.
What a wonderful life, getting pushed around when the mood strikes you. Oh, if he only appreciated that luxury.

We bought Landon his first ever pair of Mickey ears. It's like a rite of passage for every kid. And it's something that we'll (if not him) will hold on to for years and years.

I bought the ears in World of Disney, not knowing we had to get them embroidered somewhere else. (The store next to the Art of Disney...why can't I think of its name??)

So off we went!

It was about that time that my mom called me. I stepped outside to answer and realized that Downtown Disney is
LOUD.

Oh my goodness!

Everywhere I walked there was music pouring through speakers. I could barely hear my mother, and it was causing me a bit of aggravation.

I know Disney wants you to absorb the magic through all 5 senses, but I don't think we have to block out conversation to do it. But then again, that might have just been my attitude at that point.:confused3

I admit I had one.
I was getting tired, a little frustrated that we weren't in the parks, it was starting to drizzle, and my mom was NOT HAPPY!

Whoo boy.

Apparently, traffic was horrendous on the interstate that day. She compared it to our Hurricane Evacuation travels, which meant stop and go, all four lanes backed up.
I could tell she was frazzled and royally ticked at the whole journey. In a way, I began getting chewed out for choosing our arrival day the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

:rolleyes2

Obviously, this wasn't the excited happy go lucky phone call I expected, but what was I going to do about it? I had no control over the traffic, and there was nothing I could change at that point. So, I just kind of listened and told her to call me back when she got on property.

Yikes.

That made for a lovely Disney attitude. I mean, I felt bad about the crummy travel conditions, but I didn't feel it warranted me getting yelled at.
I wanted to brush the whole incident off and not let it bring my Disney magic down, so I stayed out on the sidewalk for a few minutes, taking some pictures of the really cool topiaries that were along the way.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Having settled, I went back inside the store and met back up with Alex, who had just picked up Landon's ears.

They were decidedly the best souvenir we could ever take away from Disney.

08.jpg

And with perfect timing, the ear's recipient had just began to stir.

10.jpg

09.jpg

A perfect fit!

Five stores had been knocked out at Downtown Disney, and Alex and I figured it was best to be at Pop when my mom arrived, so the three of us made our way back to the car. It started to rain right as we were pulling out of our spot, so thank goodness we hadn't waited five more minutes. I don't even want to think about how fun it would have been trying to air out a stroller. :rotfl:

Getting out of the parking lot was quite the adventure. There were multiple detours and one ways and crossing guards directing traffic. It took us about five minutes longer than we'd planned just to get back out on the road, because we were sent in loops. Then, Alex went against his gut and chose to listen to the GPS.

For some weird reason, it took him back on I-4.

:confused:

I don't know why. If he'd taken a right at the entrance to DTD, he could have just followed that road all the way down to our resort. But instead it took him onto the interstate, pass several of the exits, and then back onto Disney property.

It was super strange.

Not to mention time consuming.

It went without saying that we were NOT beating my mother to the resort.
Then again, when our car phone rang and we answered, she was ringing us from the gate at the All Stars. Which was definitely NOT our end destination.

Oh dear.

This was not going smoothly.

Up Next: I Don't Like Babies, But I Don't Mind Yours.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter