Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies! - A Dec. 2013 TR *Completed

amazingact21

Upendi
Hi, hello, welcome everyone!

:hug:

Thank you for clicking on my trip report thread and deciding to see what this particular report contains. I hope it will either entertain or educate you in some way, shape, form enough to continue reading as I write down my Disney World adventure.

I promise I don't bite or scare or even intentionally bore with my updates; so please, pull up a chair, grab your favorite Disney mug, pour a hot beverage of your choice, perhaps even slip a few sugar cookies onto a plate (it is the holiday season, after all) and read along as I discuss the broad details of this particular Disney vacation.

:coffee:

Before I delve too deep into this first post, I should forewarn you. I'm not the type of person who likes to be misled, so I feel I should extend this courtesy to you, my readers. I want you all to know what, exactly, this report is going to entail before you get too comfortable with that hot cocoa there.

First and foremost, if you don't enjoy reading reports with babies, just go ahead and unsubscribe now. Because this trip centered on this little guy right here:

01.jpg

In fact, 98% of the photos I will post will have him in them in some way or another. I don't think I'd know how to write a page WITHOUT throwing my DS's name or reaction in.

Don't say I didn't forewarn you.

Still with me?

Okay, so good so far.

Thanks for hanging on.

Next up, just another photo warning. Almost all my nighttime shots are blurry.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Disappointing, I know.

:sad2:

You don't have to tell me. Normally, in the past, I could take 6 or 7 shots of one scene and edit it to my liking once at my computer.

That's sort of impossible to do with an infant in tow, now. If I didn't get the shot in the first try, too bad so sad. I've got a diaper bag to pick up off the ground and a stroller to chase down. :yay:

Better luck next year...

And, lastly, the most important note.
This trip report will cover the truth of this trip. I won't sugar coat it or make it be what it wasn't.

Which is to say, I will be ripping the curtain to reveal the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Our trip days were December 1st through December 8th, and in those 7 nights not everything was sprinkled with pixie dust and was magical and wonderful. This was a new experience for all of us, and not everything went according to plan. There was more than one moment where I wished I was back in the comfort of my own home.

That being said, I don't regret going at all, and overall, I had an amazing time.

But, I felt the need to say that there will be a post or two that won't be my normal happy go lucky recaps.

All right...if THAT didn't scare off every one of you readers, then I'll be amazed.

:rotfl2:

I'm eternally grateful to those of you daring souls who have stuck around and are braving the rest of this post. I'll let you all in on a little secret, since you were nice enough to ignore the precautions...I lace everything with a bit of humor, and I'm not one to hold a grudge. So, most likely, by the time I reach those shadowy scenes, they'll be just an amusing memory I can recount with a lot of sarcasm and a bit of wit.

Okay, let's pause here so everyone can get a refill and grab JUST ONE MORE cookie. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone, sneak away.

Everybody back? Great! Let's continue.

Allow me to introduce myself. Most of you reading this report are already familiar with my antics and actions from previous reports (
those of which can be found in my signature below). But, my mother taught me not to be rude, so please bear with me as I give a quick bio.

I'm Alicia:

02.jpg

03.jpg

(That's me!)
I am 23, wife of 2.5 years, mother of 8 months, and the keeper of my family's Disney's memories. I began writing trip reports after my 2010 vacation, because I felt they were a great way to stay with the Disney magic even back at home.

There's something to be said about recounting your journey through a favorite coaster or experiencing a new dish at a beloved restaurant 4 months after you were there. If you're like me and have the right Disney music playing, the right Epcot tee on, the right pins displayed on your board, then you can almost taste that Premium Mickey Ice Cream Bar or feel that wind from the downward hill on Thunder on your face.

Writing reports, for me, is a way to keep the magic alive and to help me ease out of those classic post-Disney blues. Not to mention, my husband cannot remember ANYTHING!

So, when I need to prove to him I was right about something, I have these reports to pull up.

:lmao:

And on that note, please meet Alex, also known as USAFdad here on the boards.

04.jpg

05.jpg

He's 25, in the Air Force, absolutely loves being a Dad, and puts up with me on a regular basis, so he basically has the patience of Job.

I'm sure throughout the report, you'll see his posts where he will be "correcting" me. Whether you read them and, better yet, BELIEVE them will be up to you.

That'll be a judgement call on your part.

Our love of Walt Disney World matches each other's, and it makes me happy that Disney is a passion we both have in common. Of the two of us, I'm the more obvious fan, but Alex cares about the trips just as much as I do.

The final adult that tagged along on this trip was my mother, Zelda.
06.jpg

07.jpg

She enjoys Disney, especially when there is something new to experience, but she definitely has a different touring style than Alex and me. Her dream vacation would be to stay at the Grand Floridian, relax at the pool all day, eat a nice dinner, then watch the fireworks from her balcony.

While Alex and I are go-go-go, my mother carries the sit back and relax mentality. This made for a bit of clashing on our trip, but overall everybody walked away having had a good time. You have to expect a few bumps and bruises along the way when you're dealing with such an extended period of time.

And, finally, the last person that went on this trip,

The man of the hour,

The star of the show,

Literally, the center of our universe,

Landon!

08.jpg

09.jpg

This is our 8 month old son, and this was his first trip to Disney.

You gotta start the brainwashing young!
:rotfl:

Traveling with a baby was completely different than I imagined it to be. There was such a huge learning curve that occurred in those first few days of our trip; I felt as if Alex and I were Disney newbies.

Everything we'd come to expect from Walt Disney World was totally wrong now that we were traveling as a young family. It sort of shocked me at how different Disney is with a child. I knew there would be changes to our normal touring styles, but I wasn't expecting the complete 180 that we ended up doing.

And while there were times I was sad we had to do Disney differently, I wouldn't trade taking my son for anything in the world. That little boy made me see the world of Disney in a whole new light, opening doors that I thought I was too old to walk through, seeing sights with an entirely new perspective.

Despite the fact that he won't remember a single thing (as I was told numerous times by fellow guests), Landon made this trip memorable for me as a new mom. I don't care if he won't be able to recall if he liked Dumbo or not, because I will.

This trip was for Alex and me. To go back to where we're kids at heart, and to see what Disney World looks like through the eyes of an 8 month old.

And the answer?

Magical.

10.jpg

So, please, join me on this journey as I discuss how my December 2013 holiday Disney trip went!

Last edited:
I'm following along :thumbsup2 you didn't scare me away :rotfl:

Can't wait to read more popcorn:::surfweb:

Reserved for Chapter Links...

Day 1: Sunday, December 1st, 2013:
Arrival Part 1
Arrival Part 2
Check In Time!
Arrival Part 4
Arrival part 5

Day 2: Monday, December 2nd, 2013:
Here, Take Them All
Testing Out Test Track
Meeting Disney
One Lobster Bisque Shooter, Please
Journey into Imagination
NPH is Ruining My Show
This is My Suit Rehearsal
That's Not Very Norwegian
That's Not Very Norwegian Part 2

Day 3: Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013:
An Empty Main Street
An Empty Main Street Part 2
Landon Reunites with an Old Friend
I Reunite with an Old Friend
He's Cuter Than That Gerber Baby
The Osborne Lights Part 1
The Osborne Lights Part 2

Day 4: Wednesday, December 4th, 2013:
He's a Runner
A Characterpalooza Kind of Morning
Lunch with NPH
Our Laughing Place Part 1
Our Laughing Place Part 2
Hello, Little Guppy
There's Something Wrong with this Scenario Part 1
There's Something Wrong with this Scenario Part 2

Day 5: Thursday, December 5th, 2013:
Jambo! Part 1
Jambo! Part 2
I'll Have to Tell Bashful About You
It Almost Came to Blows
'Tis the Spirit of the Season

Day 6: Friday, December 6th, 2013:
He's Playing Hooky From Work Part 1
He's Playinh Hooky from Work Part 2
Well, I'll Probably be Working So I Don't Care
He Must Have Done Something Cute
Landon's Update

Day 7: Saturday, December 7th, 2013:
The Backside of Main Street
Disney is Hiding Them From Me
I Didn't Know You Signed Us Up for Another Disney 5K
It Was Bad

Day 8: Sunday, December 8th, 2013:
Better Stay, We Have Credits Left to Use

Misc:
Pre-Trip Update
May Plans
We Have Returned
Final Thoughts and Wrap Up

Last edited:

I will join too its only fair for me to be able to chime in too.....seeing as I was there.

I'm here! I can't wait to read all about Landon's first trip!

And we always encounter those nay-sayers that think that it is ridiculous to take a child to Disney if they are under age 5 or so. I don't really care what they think and we will take our children when we see fit, just like my parents did with use :rotfl:

I remember you saying you weren't sure if you'd be doing a TR of this trip, and I'm so happy to see that you are!! OH MY GOSH, Landon in his Mickey ears may be one of the cutest things I have ever seen!! I know just what you mean about your first trip with a kid making you feel like a newbie. But good, bad, and ugly, it is all so worth it when you see them light up over something. :goodvibes Subscribing!!

Wow what a great way to start. You have a beautiful family. Love your writing style.

I am in for this one.

I would like to say, Thank You for your husband service and yours as well. My Family and I appreciate you all.... and everything that you do.:goodvibes and the sacrifice that comes with being a military family. pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: God Bless you all.

Merry Christmas.

I may not always remember to respond but I'll be reading along. I was there almost exactly the same time, Dec 1 to Dec 7. My first trip to Disney was as an adult with a toddler and while she doesn't remember it - I DO! Some of my favorite rides are because of how much my kids liked them as little ones. I say savor the memories.

HI!

Love reports with kids!! I agree that the kids help us see Disney in a completely different way!

I'm here! I actually read your intro while on the monorail, but didn't have time to respond until now, back at home. I think I'll relate to a lot of your report, as we had the same challenges of changing our touring style with a little one, but also witnessing the magic from a different perspective. And we ran into a lot of folks at WDW that gave a big thumbs up to bringing them young, no matter what they'll remember, so that was cool.

I'm following along :thumbsup2 you didn't scare me away :rotfl:

Can't wait to read more popcorn:::surfweb:

Glad I didn't scare you off! :goodvibes

Following along! :)

Thanks for joining me again!

I'm in!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank you for following along, Wendy!:goodvibes

Joining in! :wave2: I have been looking or your TR! I am so curious to see how things went!

Thanks for following me over from my PTR. I can't wait to write about how traveling with an infant was for us. :rotfl:

I will join too its only fair for me to be able to chime in too.....seeing as I was there.

You know me, I only tell the truth. You shouldn't have anything to critisize.

I'm here! Can't wait to hear about your trip! :banana:

Hi Jen! Glad you're here!

Beautiful start to your TR! Adorable pictures of Landon.

Thank you! I took altogether way too many pictures of him; it was like a compulsion. :rotfl2:

I'm here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Happy you're here, Marissa!

I'm here! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks for joining! My updates won't be near as entertaining as yours, but I'll do my best! :goodvibes

I'm here! I can't wait to read all about Landon's first trip!

And we always encounter those nay-sayers that think that it is ridiculous to take a child to Disney if they are under age 5 or so. I don't really care what they think and we will take our children when we see fit, just like my parents did with use :rotfl:

Thanks for following me over from my PTR!

Trust me, while taking an infant to Disney is hard, it is completely worth it. Besides, the love of Disney doesn't just disappear simply because you have a baby. Instead, you just get to experience new and different aspects of the parks.

I remember you saying you weren't sure if you'd be doing a TR of this trip, and I'm so happy to see that you are!! OH MY GOSH, Landon in his Mickey ears may be one of the cutest things I have ever seen!! I know just what you mean about your first trip with a kid making you feel like a newbie. But good, bad, and ugly, it is all so worth it when you see them light up over something. :goodvibes Subscribing!!

Haha, thank you. I felt ridiculous the entire week, taking so many pictures of Landon. But now I'm happy I did, because I love looking back on them.
Disney with a kid is certainly an adventure. :rotfl2:

Wow what a great way to start. You have a beautiful family. Love your writing style.

I am in for this one.

I would like to say, Thank You for your husband service and yours as well. My Family and I appreciate you all.... and everything that you do.:goodvibes and the sacrifice that comes with being a military family. pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: God Bless you all.

Merry Christmas.

Thank you so much for all your kind words. :hug:
My husband appreciates the thanks, and I'm so happy to have you follow along on the report.

Merry Christmas to you, as well. :santa:

I may not always remember to respond but I'll be reading along. I was there almost exactly the same time, Dec 1 to Dec 7. My first trip to Disney was as an adult with a toddler and while she doesn't remember it - I DO! Some of my favorite rides are because of how much my kids liked them as little ones. I say savor the memories.

Thank you for reading. That first week of December was an interesting week to visit. I'll be curious to see if you share my opinion on a few things....

How can I not join this TR when Landon is so stinkin' cute!!!!

Oh, thank you! :goodvibes

HI!

Love reports with kids!! I agree that the kids help us see Disney in a completely different way!

They really do. It's like seeing certain things for the first time, which is a wonderful experience at a place like Disney.

I'm here! I actually read your intro while on the monorail, but didn't have time to respond until now, back at home. I think I'll relate to a lot of your report, as we had the same challenges of changing our touring style with a little one, but also witnessing the magic from a different perspective. And we ran into a lot of folks at WDW that gave a big thumbs up to bringing them young, no matter what they'll remember, so that was cool.

Oh yay, I'm glad you're here!
I was thinking the same thing about our trip when I read your update in which you said 2 rides and a show is a full day. It made me laugh, because that was my revelation, as well.
I can't wait to see how our trips were similar/different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter