Why is Le Cellier so disliked on here?

I went there prior to it being a signature and bought into all this hype that it was a minor miracle to "score" this difficult ADR and once you do you are sure to have an out of body, almost euphoric experience while there.
Next was a very dark, very cramped dining room. I get the idea behind the theming, but it felt more like a dungeon to me. And on to the food. Perhaps it is clouded from my experience up to this point, but I personally thought the steak was extremely heavy in sodium and was not really that much better than a Longhorn or Outback Steakhouse. However, the beer cheese soup was very good and the pretzel bread was as good as everyone raved.
I absolutely agree with this 100%.
Only difference is that I didnt care for the soup. The steak was a huge disappointment, as was the theme. Way too dark and depressing. And yes, cramped. For those that love the place, kudos. But I dont care to go back.

We've enjoyed it every time we've been there. I think whenever you have something that's very popular - and there was no restaurant more popular and no harder to get ADR than a LeCellier dinner before the change to signature/2 credits - you will always have a segment of the population that thinks it makes them "cooler" than everyone else if they go against the opinion of the masses. I think that played into it as far as a lot of the criticism.

We've enjoyed it every time we've been there. I think whenever you have something that's very popular - and there was no restaurant more popular and no harder to get ADR than a LeCellier dinner before the change to signature/2 credits - you will always have a segment of the population that thinks it makes them "cooler" than everyone else if they go against the opinion of the masses. I think that played into it as far as a lot of the criticism.
:lmao: :rotfl2: wow, is that really what you think? :rotfl:

Yachtsman is much better the LC and Shula's is much better the Yachtsman. I have been to lots of steakhouses, Keens in NYC, Bern's in Tampa, Fleming's, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, BLT Steak, and Del Frisco's. I still have Peter Lugers on my bucket list.

The thing that hasn't been mentioned much is the level of service. If I am going to spend the money on the rare occasion for a top notch steakhouse I want career server/servers who are professional and experienced. LC servers are only at WDW for what a year? When I go to Shula's I always ask for John and Mario, they have been working together as a wait team for 6 years. It takes the experience to a whole different level then LC.

I don't know :/ we love it! We always say in unison "Mmm poutine!" whenever we walk by the Canadian Pavillion lol even if it's not really authentic

I think it has to do with it becoming a 2-credit restaurant. This year is the first we'll be returning there following that change.

That said, while the atmosphere is not as nice as the other 2-credits we've done, I would say I enjoy the food at LC more than I did at Jiko, Artist Point, and Narcoosees. It's one of my favorite restaurants at WDW.
If you haven't been since the change, I must tell you in our experience that's when the food declined rather than improved. I hope you will still enjoy it though. It may all depend on what you order but the NY strip was charred black with no pink at all (supposed to be medium). After sending it back, the next one was also charred like a cheap gas grill does but with a slight pink inside. This was lunch and only 2 or 3 other tables were occupied. In no way resembled signature dining except the bill, of course.

We've enjoyed it every time we've been there. I think whenever you have something that's very popular - and there was no restaurant more popular and no harder to get ADR than a LeCellier dinner before the change to signature/2 credits - you will always have a segment of theW population that thinks it makes them "cooler" than everyone else if they go against the opinion of the masses. I think that played into it as far as a lot of the criticism.

WOW... The opposite could be said and call those who loved this place bandwagon fans who love to hop onboard and be a follower and not be able to think for themselves; but I won't because I don't believe that for a minute and I'm sure very few people will agree and share your opinion it makes it"cooler" by going against the opinion of masses. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but my experience is very different. Now to put my shades on since I am one cool dude. :cool2::cool1: :sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

WOW... The opposite could be said and call those who loved this place bandwagon fans who love to hop onboard and be a follower and not be able to think for themselves; but I won't because I don't believe that for a minute and I'm sure very few people will agree and share your opinion it makes it"cooler" by going against the opinion of masses. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but my experience is very different. :sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

That wasn't my opinion (that's it's cooler to simply go against the grain)...but rather that I do think there are a decent number of people who do actually believe that...and act according to that belief. Doesn't mean this was the case for every negative review/opinion.

I also think there are/were plenty of the "opposite" as well. Some people had to go eat there simply for one reason - because it was so popular with everyone else.

Neither approach makes much sense to me...however, that doesn't mean I have to deny they exist.

That wasn't my opinion (that's it's cooler to simply go against the grain)...but rather that I do think there are a decent number of people who do actually believe that...and act according to that belief. Doesn't mean this was the case for every negative review/opinion.

I also think there are/were plenty of the "opposite" as well. Some people had to go eat there simply for one reason - because it was so popular with everyone else.

Neither approach makes much sense to me...however, that doesn't mean I have to deny they exist.
It wasnt YOUR opinion? Then why did you post it? Geez, we can all make that claim. I posted I hate LC, but that wasnt my opinion. I was expressing it on behealf of all the other folks who didnt like it. :lmao:

I think you need to re-read the initial post.

I think you need to re-read the initial post.

Yes. You implied that the masses were correct for liking it, but only some of those who didn't were just cool cats who like to think if they post something contradictory that they will appear (to strangers on an Internet message board, in this case) even cooler than they already were.

Now that we have that settled, the question is how to differentiate between the two types of person who didn't like it? :)

I'm not sure LeCellier is really disliked on here (Although I just posted a negative thread about it.) I think it has to do with the history of the restaurant.

LeCellier was really good pre-dining plan. That was the last time I was there. Then when the dining plan started, lots of people went there because you could get a steak and it was only one table service credit. But then it made it really difficult to get an ADR after that. So some people were really happy (those that could get the ADR) and those who were mad because they couldn't. Then they switched it so that LeCellier became a signature restaurant and require 2 Table Service credits. Not such a good deal on the dining plan anymore.

But they had to ramp up the menu to make it more worthy of the signature status. Then they made the lunch and dinner menu the same. I think the cost for dinner is not out of line of a higher end steakhouse (although a little too high, in my opinion). But to have the lunch costs be what they are is crazy, in my opinion. They should have something that is reasonable on the menu for lunch.

Maggie

Why couldn't you just go there for lunch and get the pountine? Do you think you would need a lunch reservation to get in?

now that I got through 5 pages of that.....

LC was very good for a period of time then it wasn't and now to me is mediocre at best. It isn't near the top 5 steaks I have ever had may not even be in the top 10. Shula's, Old Homestead, STK (there is one coming to WDW), Smith and Wollensky, Morton's, Craftsteak..etc Its a good option for a DDP restaurant, you will get a decent meal (better than most at WDW) but a signature it is not IMHO, beer cheese soup is good the Poutine is OK but try the real stuff in Montreal its not even close. If LC fits into a plan for me I will make the ADR if not so be it. I wouldn't say that its Disliked here its just that a lot of us NOT ALL feel that there is better value and better food elsewhere. If you are tied to the DDP then LC is a great option. Carry On

When a restaurant becomes popular with people lined up to get in, often the place becomes even more crowded as they add additional tables. The food and service suffers as the business volume increases and often greed sets in and management starts changing the menu, reducing the quality and/or quantity of the product as they push their staff to turn tables over faster.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes. You implied that the masses were correct for liking it, but only some of those who didn't were just cool cats who like to think if they post something contradictory that they will appear (to strangers on an Internet message board, in this case) even cooler than they already were.

Now that we have that settled, the question is how to differentiate between the two types of person who didn't like it? :)

Close. Although, never said the masses were "correct"...as neither those who like or dislike it are "correct".

My guess for the reason it gets relatively lower reviews on Disney fan sites than on Tripadvisor is that Disney fan site posters are more educated than the average tourist about all of the dining options at WDW, especially resort signature restaurants.

Compared to resort signature restaurants, Le Cellier just doesn't measure up overall. While I think the Le Cellier mushroom filet is more or less a signature quality dish, the rest of the dining experience from appetizers, desserts, atmosphere (table being too close together, etc.), service, presentation, etc. doesn't begin to match the overall experience of any of the resort signature restaurants. Even Yachtsman Steakhouse, which I view as a below average resort signature, is a much better overall dining experience than Le Cellier.

Let's face it, most average tourists don't even know about the resort signature restaurants. If they eat on site, they mostly limit themselves to the parks. And, in the parks, Le Cellier is an above average restaurant, albeit expensive. But for roughly the same money, one can get a MUCH better overall dining experience in a resort signature. Most DIS posters know this. Most average tourists don't.

We didn't mind Le Cellier. DH and I both enjoyed our appetizers and our desserts - though we also both agreed that it wasn't worth the 2 dining credits it took to eat there. My steak was underwhelming and not worth its price tag IMHO. It wasn't bad - I liked it, really - but it wasn't worth 2 credits. We won't eat there again simply because of the cost. If it ever dropped back down to a one-credit TS, it might make its way back onto the list, but for now, we prefer the other TS options available.

We went last year, saving it for our last night of the holiday as a special treat, all 4 of us were disappointed with the meal and setting inside, cramped and a bit dark. There was very long delay between our starter and main course too. Won't be eating there again, can get better value for money elsewhere. :flower1:

DH and I loved it before they changed from a lunch/dinner menu to the same menu all day. In fact, before they changed we would eat there two or three times on the same trip. However, the last time I was disappointed I couldn't get the cream cheese mashed potatoes from the old menu (words can't describe how yummy they are) or the old mac and cheese (or any mac and cheese for that matter). I took a look at the menu for our upcoming trip and it looks like they have added loaded mashed potatoes and a new (to us) mac and cheese dish so we may have to try it again...

Something I've learned on here (I'm guilty too) over the past couple years lurking, is that DISers do not like change for the most part. When there is change, there is a lot of griping and doom/gloom postings.

I'm wondering why Le Cellier is so hated on here but loved on review sites like Trip Advisor? Is it because it changed from a 1 TS credit to 2 TS credits? Or is it because some of the menu has changed? Or is it just plain bad and not worth 2 TS credits?

What is your reason for disliking Le Cellier so much. I'm so torn on it because I read good things on review sites but DISBoards keeps turning me off to it.

I haven't really been able to pin point exactly why this place is so unpopular, but it seems to be a common general theme on here.

Actually I think the opposite.
Le Cellier for many years was so overhyped. You couldn't get an adr and according to folks here it was the best steak they had ever had in their life, which sorry always makes me wonder where they live. I went three years straight and I kept wondering if some thing was wrong with me because everyone here kept saying how wonderful it was.

I think Le Cellier is "ok" and simply don't like being charge outrageous prices for mediocre food. I look at it this way, whenever people start raving about the soup at a steak house I think you have a problem.
Soup and bread should not be the thing I remember at a steakhouse.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter