Why are you a single parent?

I can remember my first trip to WDW with my DS and we were sitting down for dinner and a CM saw I was alone and offered to cut my DS food for me. I said you don't have to do that and the response I got was you are on vacation please let me take care of him while you eat your food hot. I have never forgot this. Disney will go above your wildest thoughts to make your stay easer.

Aww, that's great. I've heard people have had the same experience (cutting kid's food) on DCL too.

Aww, that's great. I've heard people have had the same experience (cutting kid's food) on DCL too.

Yes they do. My DS always orders more then one stake and up until the past couple cruises they always cut it for him. It is great being able to eat your food hot.

Will do. I definitely take advantage of the good days. I have to start taking better care of myself when things are bad. :)

I grew up on WDW (been more times as a kid than I can count), but I'm definitely not a die hard fan. I don't know where anything is in WDW. I haven't been in over a decade. Now that I have a child, I'll resume Disney vacations. After reading all the posts on here, trips to the parks have definitely gotten a lot more sophisticated. The folks at Disney are geniuses.

If you went that many times as a kid, it will all come flooding back to you the first time you enter the parks! My last visit as a "kid" was in 1995; I didn't take my own son until 2009. He was amazed when I knew where everything was! The only exception was Animal Kingdom, as I had never been there before. A lot has changed with respect to how to make dining reservations, Fastpasses, etc., but the layout of the parks is essentially just the same. You will instinctively know where all the bathrooms are!

Yes they do. My DS always orders more then one stake and up until the past couple cruises they always cut it for him. It is great being able to eat your food hot.

DS was so busy trying to pull every thing off the table. Lol I had to keep his plate far away from him.

If you went that many times as a kid, it will all come flooding back to you the first time you enter the parks! My last visit as a "kid" was in 1995; I didn't take my own son until 2009. He was amazed when I knew where everything was! The only exception was Animal Kingdom, as I had never been there before. A lot has changed with respect to how to make dining reservations, Fastpasses, etc., but the layout of the parks is essentially just the same. You will instinctively know where all the bathrooms are!

I'm sure you're right. I also went every Christmas season in high school because our choir sung in MK every year. In addition to, twice as a chaperone when I was a school teacher.

I'm looking forward to seeing it with DS.

I became a single parent 13 yrs ago next month due to Dh 43 passing away from lung cancer leaving me with three children Dd 18,Ds 14 and our surprise Dd who was just 2, I too am a believer that things happen for a reason and she was given to me to make me get up everyday to take care of her my older children needed me but not like her. I was just 39yrs old and the shock of being thrown into being a single parent was very hard for several years,we had been together for over 25yrs and married for 16. I am in a much better place today and I am choosing to stay single. Mary

Reading all your stories makes me feel better. Two years ago, after 28 years of marriage, my ex husband pretty much had some type of breakdown and basically abandoned his entire life including his wife and children. I guess no one really imagines themselves divorced, but it has hit us hard.

Our family has always been super Disney geeks and we would go every year from the time my oldest daughter (who is now 22) was a toddler. (I also have an 18 year old son and a 11 year old daughter.) I am determined not to let the changes in our family ruin our happy place.

It has been hard, because there are so many memories, but we are making new memories and I refuse to let his bad coices ruin our vacations. (In fact, DD11 and I are here right now.)

Reading all your stories makes me feel better. Two years ago, after 28 years of marriage, my ex husband pretty much had some type of breakdown and basically abandoned his entire life including his wife and children. I guess no one really imagines themselves divorced, but it has hit us hard.

Our family has always been super Disney geeks and we would go every year from the time my oldest daughter (who is now 22) was a toddler. (I also have an 18 year old son and a 11 year old daughter.) I am determined not to let the changes in our family ruin our happy place.

It has been hard, because there are so many memories, but we are making new memories and I refuse to let his bad coices ruin our vacations. (In fact, DD11 and I are here right now.)

Enjoy your Disney vacation!

Single by choice after 16 years of abuse. Sadly went from the frying pan to the fire ...into another abusive relationship that lasted 3 years until I fought to get out alive...won't go into it all as there is to much to pain and all the legal stuff is still on going. :charac2:...I have survived..will continue to do so and stay single and succeed at it! My youngest DD7 is a joy and we plan our WDW vacations with pleasure and enjoy every moment together...:tigger:

I've been a widow for 14 years, my husband passed away when my son was 1 (I've never remarried). It's been vacations that has kept me regenerated and focused in my times of grief. And the Disney vacations have been the best. After a number of times when I tried to scrimp on vacations, I realized I will never do that again. I took my son when he was 3 to Animal Kingdom Lodge and we have been going back repeatedly since. Disney staff have always been welcoming and helpful and for a single parent who likes to travel, I couldn't ask for more.

I'm so glad this board was started!

I became a single parent 13 yrs ago next month due to Dh 43 passing away from lung cancer leaving me with three children Dd 18,Ds 14 and our surprise Dd who was just 2, I too am a believer that things happen for a reason and she was given to me to make me get up everyday to take care of her my older children needed me but not like her. I was just 39yrs old and the shock of being thrown into being a single parent was very hard for several years,we had been together for over 25yrs and married for 16. I am in a much better place today and I am choosing to stay single. Mary

My mom feels that way about my daughter. She is a widow as well and it seems like when my daughter was born, she became happy again, like LIVE, not just live day to day. It's amazing what God sends into our lives. :)

My ex assaulted me (with fists and then a frying pan) because I locked out the computer that I needed for work (she had her own, she just wanted to use mine) after she had downloaded a virus onto it and it took me a whole day to repair...then, after the assault, she grabbed our kid and stole my car (not OUR car, she had wrecked her car that I bought her about a month before, and I needed MY car to get to work as I was the only one working and paying bills), which she then got pulled over because I told her I would call the police because I needed the car, and then she got taken to jail for unpaid speeding tickets (they brought the kiddo to me and I had to then take her to work, thankfully I was teaching college and was able to put her in an unused office with a DVD, her blanket and a few stuffed animals and some snacks, and I checked with her. It was night classes, and she fell asleep well before my second period was even over).

I let my ex sit in jail until her court date (a few days later) instead of bailing her out like I did the previous time this had happened, then I paid her tickets with the ADA after the hearing and cleared her all up.

I quickly made plans and moved out the next week, leaving everything but my computer (which I needed to make money) and most of my clothes.

End of story (well, no, it isn't, but there's way more than I'd care to get into, frankly...this was the straw the broke the relationship, so it is directly WHY I am a single parent).

I am so grateful to find this thread. Newly single. 9 months now. Married to ex just over 10 years before he left. Found out he was having an affair, or more of an obession, resulting in 50+ horrendously obscene texts with my now ex good friend. Funny thing we celebrated our 10 year in October in Disney. Ex never really loved Disney, but went with us as a family a few times, but many we went with extended family like a grandparent instead. He enjoyed it enough to surprise me with the anniversary trip, of which he texted this woman daily on. But Disney is MY happy place and I refuse to let that ruin it:)

Anyways after months of serious emotional and verbal abuse, coupled with serious devotion and remorse on other days, he walked out without warning for me or our son. He is truly narcissistic as in multiple counselors and therapists have told him that. Unfortunately for my case not diagnosed because he never returns when they mention it. The way he has handled our sons emotions have caused him to become so anxious and depressed. I am trying very hard to help him through and have him in therapy, but it's just so bad between them, it sucks.

Anyways thanks for letting me get that out, but on an exciting note, we are heading to Disney in August and my son has no idea. I was a stay at home mom and now work as a teachers aide at my son's school, which means financially kind of screwed right now. :) But my son's wonderful godfather and long time family friend, as well as his parents, live in Florida. My son thinks we are going to visit them as we do sometimes. But he has no idea they have made the Bounceback trip I booked last year to surprise my son with, and thought I would have to cancel, happen!! So in like 30 days he is going to flip out when I tell him and it will make his summer. He is such a disney fan and it is our favorite place since I took him at 2 years old. He has a real emotional connection to it the way I do. He recently even has been talking about maybe next year we could try to go to disney with one of his grandparents. He is very smart and as he adjusts to having a single mom and a different life he is fearful that his life will change. We will likely have to sell the house and I know he is afraid we won't be able to do the things we used to. Which of course we won't for a little while, but it's hard for a kid to get used to. So every time I think about this wonderful surprise for him I tear up. It will mean the world to him and he will be so thankful. It will be absolutely magical:)

I am so grateful to find this thread. Newly single. 9 months now. Married to ex just over 10 years before he left. Found out he was having an affair, or more of an obession, resulting in 50+ horrendously obscene texts with my now ex good friend. Funny thing we celebrated our 10 year in October in Disney. Ex never really loved Disney, but went with us as a family a few times, but many we went with extended family like a grandparent instead. He enjoyed it enough to surprise me with the anniversary trip, of which he texted this woman daily on. But Disney is MY happy place and I refuse to let that ruin it:)

Anyways after months of serious emotional and verbal abuse, coupled with serious devotion and remorse on other days, he walked out without warning for me or our son. He is truly narcissistic as in multiple counselors and therapists have told him that. Unfortunately for my case not diagnosed because he never returns when they mention it. The way he has handled our sons emotions have caused him to become so anxious and depressed. I am trying very hard to help him through and have him in therapy, but it's just so bad between them, it sucks.

Anyways thanks for letting me get that out, but on an exciting note, we are heading to Disney in August and my son has no idea. I was a stay at home mom and now work as a teachers aide at my son's school, which means financially kind of screwed right now. :) But my son's wonderful godfather and long time family friend, as well as his parents, live in Florida. My son thinks we are going to visit them as we do sometimes. But he has no idea they have made the Bounceback trip I booked last year to surprise my son with, and thought I would have to cancel, happen!! So in like 30 days he is going to flip out when I tell him and it will make his summer. He is such a disney fan and it is our favorite place since I took him at 2 years old. He has a real emotional connection to it the way I do. He recently even has been talking about maybe next year we could try to go to disney with one of his grandparents. He is very smart and as he adjusts to having a single mom and a different life he is fearful that his life will change. We will likely have to sell the house and I know he is afraid we won't be able to do the things we used to. Which of course we won't for a little while, but it's hard for a kid to get used to. So every time I think about this wonderful surprise for him I tear up. It will mean the world to him and he will be so thankful. It will be absolutely magical:)

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm praying for you and your son. I'm sure the adjustment is difficult for both of you. Hang in there! How old is your DS?

Your Disney surprise is going to mean the world to your DS. I'm so happy you are able to have this much needed vacation with your DS! Enjoy every second. You both deserve it! :)

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm praying for you and your son. I'm sure the adjustment is difficult for both of you. Hang in there! How old is your DS?

Your Disney surprise is going to mean the world to your DS. I'm so happy you are able to have this much needed vacation with your DS! Enjoy every second. You both deserve it! :)

Thank you so much for your encouragement and prayers. And my son is 10 years old :)

Thank you so much for your encouragement and prayers. And my son is 10 years old :)

Awww, your son is going to be so excited! I hope you can record his reaction when you reveal the surprise to him.

Allow this difficult time to create an even stronger bond between you and your son. You will both come out of this stronger and more connected to each other.

My ex assaulted me (with fists and then a frying pan) because I locked out the computer that I needed for work (she had her own, she just wanted to use mine) after she had downloaded a virus onto it and it took me a whole day to repair...then, after the assault, she grabbed our kid and stole my car (not OUR car, she had wrecked her car that I bought her about a month before, and I needed MY car to get to work as I was the only one working and paying bills), which she then got pulled over because I told her I would call the police because I needed the car, and then she got taken to jail for unpaid speeding tickets (they brought the kiddo to me and I had to then take her to work, thankfully I was teaching college and was able to put her in an unused office with a DVD, her blanket and a few stuffed animals and some snacks, and I checked with her. It was night classes, and she fell asleep well before my second period was even over).

I let my ex sit in jail until her court date (a few days later) instead of bailing her out like I did the previous time this had happened, then I paid her tickets with the ADA after the hearing and cleared her all up.

I quickly made plans and moved out the next week, leaving everything but my computer (which I needed to make money) and most of my clothes.

End of story (well, no, it isn't, but there's way more than I'd care to get into, frankly...this was the straw the broke the relationship, so it is directly WHY I am a single parent).

Oh my what an ordeal! I hope you have permanent custody and things are calmer or at least on their way to being calmer.

Quite calm. 5 years have passed and the ex and I get along quite well.

That REALLY happened to you? I really thought you were joking (as you had done in another post yesterday), so I didn't respond. If all that really happened to you, that's beyond crazy and I'm glad things are better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!