Who Says a Platypus Doesn't Do Much?

Really enjoying your trip report so far! Love all the great details and pictures!:thumbsup2

We live about 10 minutes away from Midway airport too :) You got great seats on your SW flight. This is out first time flying SW, have always flown Airtran, and I'm a little nervous about no assigned seats. We plan on checking in at the 24 hr mark on the way down though so keeping fingers crossed :wizard:

I like your daughter's paint splatter hat. Did you buy it on this trip? My DD has a headband with that design that she loves and a hat would be great too!

Looking forward to reading more! :goodvibes

After that we headed around the corner to Tony's Town Square...

...to check in for our 1:00pm lunch reservation. We were told if would be about 20 minutes but we were called in about five minutes. Skye had time to start coloring...

We were taken into the restaurant and lead all the way through to the sun room. It was really pretty in there and we had great seats again!

Now most of what I had heard about Tony's was not good. I needed to fill a spot and did not want to leave the park for it. So I filled in with this. Let me tell you I am really glad we did...we all are!

For appetizer Skye got Carrot and Celery with Ranch Dip...

They looked really dry and old when they were brought out but Skye said they were great! She did not eat much on the celery but all the carrots were gone.

Tyler ordered Calamari with Topped with Olive Relish and served with Marinara Sauce. Again, this is something out of the ordinary for us. We have had it before but usually because it comes as part of a platter or something like that. And never have we actually said we liked it.

This time, we loved 'em!!!! They were all rings not suckers. The breading was light and the insides were soft and sweet. They almost tasted like a mushy onion ring. They were really good! Ty and I both ate quite a bit of them!

I ordered the Zucchini Fries (breaded seasoned zucchini with creamy sun-dries tomato dressing for dipping)...

They were awesome. Fresh and light, not too greasy.

So on with lunch...

So far we are really loving Tony's. Don't know if we are just earier and like a lesser food or if we cought them on a good day or what but so far, for us, all the bad reviews I have read are wrong!

So on to entrees...

Skye had Mickey Head Cheese Ravioli with Marinara Sauce and Pepperoni on the side...

She loved it...she ate every single Mickey Head!!!!

Tyler ordered the Chicken Parmigiana (lightly breaded chicken breast with marinara sauce topped with mozzarella cheese over spaghetti)...

He liked the plate!!!! He thought it was great!!!!

I ordered the Shrimp Scampi (linguini with sun-dried tomatoes and asparagus tossed in a garlic sauce)...

MMMMMM, is all I can say! And I did not even get heart burn so it was garlicy but not to garlicy...just garlicy enough! The pasta was cooked perfectly, the shrimps were plenty, everything about it was right.

For dessert Skye got an Ice Cream Sundae...

Tyler got the Ice Cream Bomb...

It was an sundae...what's not to like???

Inside is vanilla and chocolate ice cream on top of a yellow cake covered in a hard chocolate shell. It was good and fun...something different...and that is hard to find these days!

I had Lemon Walnut Layer Cake...

It was really good...and actually a bit on the lite side comparatively. White cake with lemon filling. Really a good dessert!

All in all, we loved Tony's and will be back. Our total was $82.45 and we used 2 adult and 1 kid's credit. We had great service, a great seat, great food...what's not to love???

So after our great lunch we headed up Main Street.

It was really hot out. I finally convinced the kids to head back to the hotel for a swim. So we turned around and headed back down Main Street and out. We stopped in at the COnfectionary on the way.

We don't usually do this. In fact, I don't know that we have ever really done it on purpose before. We stopped at the bathroom and then found Snow White almost all by herself!

And then we exited the park. It felt weird to be leaving.

At 2:30pm we were on a bus back to All-Star Movies. It was waiting when we walked up and was basically empty. We walked in thru the gift shop and bought a yellow water noodle ($4.95) and headed to the room to change.

And these guys were waiting for us...

ChiChi was contolling their TV viewing.

In no time we were at the pool. Of course there are no pictures because I was in the water...DUH! Tyler played games on the deck. He was usually the oldest one but he was having fun so whatever. He ended up winning a pair of purple 80's shades playing musical spots. He has been wanting to buy a pair of them and we whouldn't let him so he was pleased. His favorite though was a version of a dunk game. They had a contraption where they put a big water balloon in a cage with a meedle pointing into it and when someone threw the ball and hit the target it pushed the pin into the balloon onto the person's head sitting in the chair under it. Tyler was the first thrower and if you hit the target you had to sit in the chair. He was in the chair three times before they were done. He had a good time. We had fun watcing from the nice pool!

Unfortunately, our fun was a little dampened by the one-ish year old boy walkining around with a huge mardi gras bead mecklace arounf his neack and absolutely nothing else on. And the beads kinda perfectly frames the boy parts. And to top it off, someone, looked like possibly a grandma, was following him around filming it!!!!! I'm sorry, me and especially my little girl do not need to be seeing that! I don't do public nudity for my children...at all! I did not ever change my children in fromt of other people...even in a bathroom changing table I would do it descreetly. I just don't get it???

But we had a lot of fun at the pool and were glad we left the park to cool off and enjoy our pool. Around 5:00pm we headed back to the room to get ready for dinner.

About 6:00pm we were headed to the bus. There was one waiting for us. We got to the Magic Kingdom and walked to the monorail.

There was one waiting for us. What luck we were having!

We took the monorail around to the Polynesian. We checked in at 6:40pm for our 6:55 reservation at Kona Cafe.

We have eaten there a couple of times and had a great meal and service and everything so we were excited. In fact, this was one of the meals I worked to get in there.

We were seated right about 6:55pm. We were walked all the way over to the left side where we could watch the monorail come and go. Once again a really great table.

Our waitress did not show up for at least ten minutes. We ordered our drinks.

Tyler got a Megaberry Smoothie and a water...

Skye and I ordered Diet Cokes and her's came like this...

She loves those little umbrellas!

Then our bread was brought...I could eat just that for the whole meal!!!!

I did not want the wings but Tyler did. And out oh so efficient (yes, I'm being sarcastic!) would not allow it for one. So we got 'em.

There were very sticky...which I suppose is good since they are called Sticky Wings For Two (Glazed Chicken Wings with Tangy Mistard Drizzle and Toasted Sesame Seeds). We had then not put any of the Mistard Sauce or seeds on the wings but on the side. But, they were very dry! I mean VERY dry! We did not even finish them. I was sad I caved on that one.

Skye opted for fries with her meal so she did not get an appetizer. And just on a side note, everyother place we went, if she wanted fries they would still give her an appetizer. So by now, we are not real happy with our service. It has been really slow. We have hardly seen our waitress. We were not offered more bread. I had an empty pop glass and no one was filling it. Finally our foor is brought out.

Skye ordered the Mickey Cheese Raviolis again but with fries this time...

She liked them as much as earlier in the day!

Tyler ordered the Teriyaki-style New York Strip Steak (Sirloin Strip grilled with Pineapple Teriyaki Glaze served with Sticky Rice and Stir-fried Brocolini). He ordered it with everything on the side and with fries instead of rice. Well, as you will see, he got it with mashed potatoes instead...which for him is worse than rice...he actually likes rice but just wanted fries.

The waitress knew nothing about it becasue she did not come back for a very long time. He did really like his steak though...better than mine. He did not eat the potatoes or the brocolini.

I had the Ginger-crusted Rib Eye with Tamarind Jus, Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, and Stir-fried Broccolini...as is!

The steak was good...not great. A little chewy. The potatoes were ok. The brocolini tasted like plastic. Really it did...so bad I actually spit it into a cocktail napkin...YUCK!

At this point I was really disappointed. And to make it worse, we were just sitting there for a long time doing nothing and no one seemed to notice. Finally our waitress comes back and asks if I need a refill. She actually comes back quickly and says the diet coke machine is down and asks if I want something else. I said a Sprite woudl be fine. She comes back a few minutes later with a new glass with ice and a can of Diet Coke. Alrighty then!

So we move on to dessert. Skye got a fruit salad.

It was a fruit salad and she like it...all of it!

Tyler had the Kina Kone...

Now that is a lot of fun. We have gotten one everytime we have been there. They have changed the presentation but it is still a good cone...but how do you mess up ice cream and candy?

I had the Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Lemongrass and Caramel Sauces.

It was a good cake. And it was a different dessert than a lot of the offerings at places. I was very happy with it.

Our total there was $82.45 and we left a $13.00 tip. We probably should not have left that much but I guess I was in a generous mood. Our meal was not that long when you look at the clock (we left around 8:30pm) but normally a meal at a place like that for us would be about 45 minutes not an hour and a half. Plus, we actually felt it. I mean, we did a lot of sitting and waiting...to order, between courses, for refills, for the bill, you name it we probably waited for it! And she really was not all that nice and smiley either!

So overall, we had an ok meal and bad service. Will we go back? Maybe. I am hoping it was a bad waitress or a bad night. Our other visits were all great. I don't know that I will go out of my way to make it fit again though. So, I guess we'll see what the next trip brings!

So after dinner we grab a monorail around to the Magic Kingdom.

We headed back down Main Street. There is just something that much more magical about it at night with all the lights on!

And I warn you right now, I had a bazillion pictures of the castle...

We stopped at the bathroom in the old Noodle Terrace and while waiting for Tyler we played with the camera...

We went on Stitch's ride...Skye loves it!

We then grabbed Fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and headed to the People Mover!

I don't know why my castle pics look so blurry...they didn't before!

So anyway...

We headed towards the hub for the 10:00pm Wishes show. I wanted to see it tonight because I did not know if we'd be in the park to see it again. When we got to the flower garden the Magic, Memories, and You show began. When I first heard about this show I thought it was not big deal. I was like...why would I care to see total strangers on the castle? Plus I though...how are you actually going to be able to see anything. I should have known it is DIsney. They do nothing half way...if it does not look good, it does not happen. Well, I am here to tell you all that I was wrong. It is an awesome little show! Make sure you see it at least once when you are there!

The castle has colorful balls falling into it, turns into a rocket blasting off, gets consumed by fire, grows vines, and lots of other effects. We thought it was a really cool show!

You are moving so fast through your TR! I love being able to just keep reading. You are eating at a few places that we have never been before. It is nice to read reviews of them, because we might just have to try to fit them in next time.

That is disappointing about your Kona Cafe dinner. That is one of our favorite places to eat, but we usually have a good server. That can make all the difference!

I have never heard of the show before Wishes, but it looks like a lot of fun!

loving your trip report. Great descriptions and really good photos.

I agree with you about Kona. We have eaten there 4 times for dinner and 3 times for breakfast and 5 times were excellent and 2 times wait staff was not very nice and we waited forever!!!!

Can't wait to see how the rest of your trip goes

The deluxe dining plan looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to try that some day. Your kids seem to be very good eaters, too.

I can't wait to check out the Magic, Memories and You show. It does look pretty cool and it looks like there's a lot more to it than random people's pictures.

I am planning a lot of updating on Saturday....but we've had a lot of activity in our house...some good, some not so good...

First of all there is football...which Tyler's coach has caused him to not want to play anymore. He's been playing for seven years under the same coach. And I think Tyler's just tired of getting the raw end of the deal. We're trying to ge tthrough it. It's a tough lesson for a 12 year old to have to learn...adults should never make a kid feel like that.

On the good side though, he has decided to work on the stage crew for the fall play...some sort of spoof on Shakespeare plays. And he is thinking for running for Student Council. He is looking forward to going out for the basketball team at school. He has never played basketball on a team though so we'll see how that goes. Maybe his height will be helpful. And he is really enjoying junior high...seventh grade so far is a good thing!

And on the even better side, Skye got some wonderful news! She just finished up summer session for gymnastics and has a week off from that before winter starts up. On the 7th, she had auditions for competition team for dance. She was on level one last year...it was her first year dancing and she was by far the youngest and smallest on the team. So we did not expect much change. We got the e-mail of the results on Tuesday and she made level two!!! She was so excited...although it does not make a ton of difference because level 1 and 2 dance together. So she went to her regular classes on Tuesday for jazz, tap, and ballet as a level two (which is completely different and independent from your competition level) and was bored. She was noticably more advanced than even the 11 year olds in that class. So I spoke to the coach who runs the program and is the competition team coach to see if she could sit in on the level three classes on Friday (she has hip hop on Fridays right before them anyway). And she said she should definately be level three forher regular classes!!!! She was so excited again! And she went on to say that Skye auditioned right on the cusp of 2 and 3...so she wants her to stay after her comp class today (level 1 & 2) for hte level three comp class!!!!! WOW...she was over the moon excited! She did not expect that.

And I am super happy for her too. The world has become such a place of entitlement that I am glad that there really are some sports or organizations where you get what you earned. Almost everything Tyler has even done, if you showed up, you played. If your mom paid the money, you get a trophy. Finally, a place where a kid can learn the value of good hard work and reep the rewards of it! I think if more things were like that, kids would fare beftter in the real world when they get there.

So, all this running is why I have not been back here to post more but I do plan on doing more on Saturday...that square on my calendar has nothing on it...sssssshhhhhhh, don't tell anyone or they might try to fill it and I like it white!

Sorry, I lied to you guys...I never got around to adding this past weekend. I am trying I swear...I will get more up soon!

So where di I leave off so long ago...

After we left Buzz, we walked back out of Tomorrowland, across the hub, and onto the side of the castle.

We were still really hot. And tired...did I mention that by the time we got to the hub Skye was asleep in her storller?

Tyler was not done...in fact, he would get mad at us many more times during the trip for cutting the evening too early for his tastes. If Magic Kingdom was open till 3am...he wanted to be there!

We ended up grabing a seat right in front of The Hall Of Presidents for the Main Street Electrical Parade. We could feel the air conditioning from inside wafting out the door...oh, it was heavenly! Till the last show was over and the doors colsed for good.

Ty and I put down our blanket and started to shuffle the cards when Sleeping Beauty woke up and wanted to play too.

Soon enough the parade was starting...

I know they might be out of order...they came from my camera and my phone...I'll try to fix them later...continued in next post...

After the parade we headed back up to Main Street USA while Tyler bugged me to stay longer!

Where the princess fell asleep again...

And Tyler took a breather in a quiet alley listening to vocal and dance lessons going on above him!

We headed up towards the exit...

And decided to stop in the Confectionary to use up some snack credits and took the goodies with us to eat later. Then, against Tyler's opinion, we headed to the bus.

We did not wait long tonight. It was on the late side...at least for nornal people...it was around midnight (when I get home if I have more accurate info I will edit...oh, and I found the receipts so I will be updating those too!) but the park was open until 2am. We were done though...it was a really long day and we did alot!

When we got back to the room, we all got ready for bed and took these pictures...

Tyler's chocolare marshmallows (these were on the dining plan but none of th eones with other toppings were).

Skye's white cake MIckey head...the circle of the face was white cake, the ears were marshmallow, it was covered in white frosting with hot pink sugar...it was really good even days later!

My English Toffee Bar!!!! HUGE and go-oo-oo-oo-ddddd!

After Ty ate his and I ate a chunk of mine (did I mention it was huge???) we all crashed...well, Skye was already there but Tyler and I did.

We had a really great day...good food, good rides, good castle show, good fireworks, good parade...it was just all-around exactly what we wanted from our vacation...well, except the darned heat!

Well, I figured out whi I though I had better Wishes pictures...becasue the ones I already posted were from my phone...good enough for Facebook but not good enough for my Disboard friends...so here's some better pics...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter