Which DVC for a Solo runDisney Trip

keahgirl8

DIS Veteran
I am planning a solo runDisney trip and will have a car. I think I am going to rent DVC and I’m trying to choose which resort will be best. I’m going between AKL, OKW, or SSR, due to cost. Can anyone give me thoughts? I’ve stayed at AKL, but not for a race weekend, and I’ve never been to the others.

You may not like my answer. Thise weekends are very popular if you are taking November of this year or January next year the 7 mount booking window is past and open so it will be whatever is available and book now if there is. If it is February of next year you will need to decide in the next few days and see if they have an owner that can book before the 7 month window. I would go go with open to all 3 at this point and put them in the order you prefer and hopefully you get one. If you have a car none will be better than the other. If you want inside halls and to see animals AKL easy access to DS for food SSR OKW is also a decent alternative with a nice boat ride but SSR is a lot faster.

I stayed at OKW for 2 Princess race weekends. I loved it. Quiet, easy to get the bus to the expo and the starting lines. My issues - not a huge choice of food if you want to eat there and the stairs after the half made me cry a little. But when I was renting DVC a lot pre-closure, I always went with OKW as first choice. SSR was my 2nd.

For race weekend, I think any resort is fine. You'll be taking a bus to the starting line no matter where you stay. But the above poster is correct; there are zero DVC studio rooms available for Wine&Dine and Marathon weekend, and I doubt you'd want a 1-bedroom for a solo trip.

I ONLY stay at OKW for race weekends - granted I'm superstitious, but we have never had race bus issues from OKW and there have been many horror stories from other resorts.

One thing to keep in mind, OKW studios have 2 beds without a couch. I personally like having the couch, and I don’t need 2 beds.

DD and I stayed at BLT before a race and I would not recommend. We tried to go to bed early but the fireworks woke us up. However, very convenient with the monorail!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter