Where to buy a small amount of checks online?

That sounds great then. I wonder if that is still available to new enrollees. Do they handle stock trades for free?
It's on the website, so yes to new enrollees. No, stock trades are not free. But I have mutual funds, most I have held since 1989, so I have incurred very few trade fees, just the federally allowed IRA fees.

I just use my Fidelity brokerage account for banking. Free checks, interest, free ATMs, and no minimum balance. Downside is there are no brick and mortar bank branches in the traditional sense. I found I never really went to the bank anyway so I closed my USBank account.

I just use my Fidelity brokerage account for banking. Free checks, interest, free ATMs, and no minimum balance. Downside is there are no brick and mortar bank branches in the traditional sense. I found I never really went to the bank anyway so I closed my USBank account.
Safe Deposit boxes are the main banking service I use in branch. I can get cash at the ATM, in the branch or at the grocery store. I do everything I can online or electronically, but ONLY if there is no fee. I still use a lot of cash. I pay cash for gas because I can save so much money at ARCO. (About 25 cents a gallon). They charge 45 cents to use a debit card, so I don't do that, and of course ARCO stopped taking credit cards 25 years ago. We are really big on going to locally owned small businesses when we can, and more and more of them are so fed up with credit card fees that they have gone cash only.

If you click on the link in the following article, you will see a list of check printers who meet certain security standards of
Check Payment Systems Association.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/checking/cheap-checks-vulnerable-to-fraud.aspx#ixzz4V19RCs6T
Harland Clarke, which prints Costco checks is on the list of printers who meet the standard. Don't know who prints WalMart checks, but one of the other vendors mentioned in this thread is not on the list.
Indeed, the afore-linked article uses Costco checks to show examples of good check printing practices....

how many checks do u need? a friend of mine only use checks to pay the rent with. He just goes into the bank, tells the teller he wants check, they print him like 3 for $2.

bank is chase.

If you click on the link in the following article, you will see a list of check printers who meet certain security standards of
Check Payment Systems Association.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/checking/cheap-checks-vulnerable-to-fraud.aspx#ixzz4V19RCs6T
Harland Clarke, which prints Costco checks is on the list of printers who meet the standard. Don't know who prints WalMart checks, but one of the other vendors mentioned in this thread is not on the list.
Indeed, the afore-linked article uses Costco checks to show examples of good check printing practices....

I guess I don't understand why quality checks would make them less likely for fraud? I just take a picture of checks to deposit them. I never go to a bank branch to deposit the checks since my bank has no brick and mortar branches.

My bank printed me a page of 4 checks 8 years ago when I opened the account, for free. I still have 2 of them. o_O

Yes, and if you were to ask your bank representative the next time you go to the bank, they will gladly print you out another page of checks. You just have to tell them you rarely write checks and really just want to have a few handy just in case you were to need them.

To the OP... in today's day and age, checks to me are lets call it very, very old school, rarely needed and I avoid them like the plague. With Online Bill Pay through your banking institution, (usually free to use) why even bother to write a paper check. Very rarely should you need to tender a paper check. I think I wrote two in the year 2016. Along with this, if at all possible, I pay with a charge card whenever possible so I can reap the rewards dollars/build my credit score. Yes, I pay off charge card balances every 2-3 weeks. In closing, have your bank representative print you out a few paper checks and or get whatever they will give you free and .....

My bank will print out at the actual bank location 1 page for you with no charge (it's been a year or so since we last did this so I'm going off the assumption it is still the case). We hardly ever write checks so we don't want to go buying any of them at this time.

I got a box of checks 10 1/12 years ago when I first opened my account when I was 18 and I still have one of the booklets with a decent number of checks left....I only ever wrote checks for rent back in the day, DMV when they didn't accept debit/credit cards or there was some other reason did use debit/credit, etc. I currently only write checks for escrow shortage and I'm sure there are some random ones I'm not thinking of.

My bank will print out at the actual bank location 1 page for you with no charge (it's been a year or so since we last did this so I'm going off the assumption it is still the case). We hardly ever write checks so we don't want to go buying any of them at this time.

I got a box of checks 10 1/12 years ago when I first opened my account when I was 18 and I still have one of the booklets with a decent number of checks left....I only ever wrote checks for rent back in the day, DMV when they didn't accept debit/credit cards or there was some other reason did use debit/credit, etc. I currently only write checks for escrow shortage and I'm sure there are some random ones I'm not thinking of.
I wrote just 6 checks in December.
1) Property taxes. They charge a fee for e-checks, and $27.50 service charge for credit cards, a stamp is a LOT cheaper.
2) Beauty salon. They are cash or check only
3) Long term care insurance. I was amazed, this company has no provision for any credit card or electronic payments.
4) Schwans. By my choice because they will take credit cards.
5) Auto mechanic. He is cash or check only.
6) Dues for a civic club I belong too. They have no provision for credit cards of e payment.

I wrote just 6 checks in December.
1) Property taxes. They charge a fee for e-checks, and $27.50 service charge for credit cards, a stamp is a LOT cheaper.
2) Beauty salon. They are cash or check only
3) Long term care insurance. I was amazed, this company has no provision for any credit card or electronic payments.
4) Schwans. By my choice because they will take credit cards.
5) Auto mechanic. He is cash or check only.
6) Dues for a civic club I belong too. They have no provision for credit cards of e payment.
My mom still writes a lot more checks than I do.

My husband and I wrote 1 check last year that I can remember..escrow shortage.

My husband and I just don't have a reason to write checks but of course you're kind of out of luck if the business doesn't accept debit/credit cards. A few weeks ago we were shopping in this historic area. This one store, the only one I actually saw a bunch of signs anyways, said it only accepted cash or personal check. There were really cute things in there (like christmas decor, candles, even gormet dips for chips and whatnot) but I don't carry as a norm cash and my checks stay at home always. They must get enough business though to keep up though.

The escrow shortage is the one thing we have to send by check because we can't pay online for it (as there is no way to make it go towards the actual shortage with our lender rather than like a normal payment where you can say I want this to go to principal).

We pay our HOA dues online, our DMV fees online, our utility bills are EFT'd, every mechanic shop I've gone to (and I tend to prefer the mom and pop type places) have taken debit/credit cards but I get it if someone doesn't want to, auto insurance can be paid online, life insurance is EFT'd, when I did go to this lady who did hair inside her home she only took cash or check but I haven't been in 10 years so she may not even do it now and I understand doing cash or check in her situation, cell phone EFT'd, cable bill EFT'd, and the list goes on.

If I'm truly vacationing somewhere we do make sure to have at least some cash on us.

Our Real Estate taxes , county water bill, trash service, farrier, or vet (horse vet) can't be paid any other way but check. In addition, I write checks to pay our dentist and dry cleaners as they give a discount if you pay with cash or check. I also add money to my son's lunch acct - I could charge it to my credit card but they charge a fee to do that. My son is also in boy scouts and we have to pay his dues and activities via check as well. I just looked and I wrote 98 checks this past 12 months. I prefer the pay online option when it's available but I don't want to pay more to do so since I can order approximately a years worth of checks for about $6-7. I save way more than that by writing the checks to just the places that will give me a discount to do so.

Lucky that you can buy cheques from an outside source. In Canada there are on a couple of companies that print cheques and to get to them you have to go through the banks as the bank has to authorize them to print the cheques. So yep $60 to buy cheques.

Lucky that you can buy cheques from an outside source. In Canada there are on a couple of companies that print cheques and to get to them you have to go through the banks as the bank has to authorize them to print the cheques. So yep $60 to buy cheques.
I'd be mad if I had to pay anything for check printing, and I would be fuming if it was $60.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter