Where to buy a small amount of checks online?

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
I opened a new checking account to try to organize our finances, and the bank wants $40 for a box of checks. I don't need a box of checks but I would like just a few. Is there anywhere online I could order just a small number of checks for a decent price? I don't care what they look like (don't need a fancy design) but do want a reputable company.

I don't know how many you actually want but my bank will print ours for about a quarter a piece. Might be worth looking into if you only want a few.

Judging from previous threads, there are numerous outside check printing options.
As for me, I'd find a new bank! But charging for checks maybe what banks do now with new accounts these days. I expect a bank to provide a free checking account, free checks, free safe deposit box, free cashiers checks, free wire transfers, free bill pay, free notary and free travelers checks with a minimum balance. Used to be $5,000 minimum.
But how long you have been with a bank may play a role. I was in my bank Tuesday getting my wife's name on what had been a safe deposit box jointly owned by my mom and I. The Banker said I didn't look 52.......but that is how many years I have had an account with them. My dad opened the account for me when I was 7 under my social security number. The Banker said my tenure alone with the bank got me "credits" towards leasing a safe deposit box. I have 2 safe deposit box, and I have enough "credits" for a third free one.
While I am an old foggie who still writes a few checks, I have posted in recent weeks my frustration at fees some merchants/government agencies add on if you pay by debit card or credit card, or electronic payment.

Judging from previous threads, there are numerous outside check printing options.
As for me, I'd find a new bank! But charging for checks maybe what banks do now with new accounts these days. I expect a bank to provide a free checking account, free checks, free safe deposit box, free cashiers checks, free wire transfers, free bill pay, free notary and free travelers checks with a minimum balance. Used to be $5,000 minimum.
But how long you have been with a bank may play a role. I was in my bank Tuesday getting my wife's name on what had been a safe deposit box jointly owned by my mom and I. The Banker said I didn't look 52.......but that is how many years I have had an account with them. My dad opened the account for me when I was 7 under my social security number. The Banker said my tenure alone with the bank got me "credits" towards leasing a safe deposit box. I have 2 safe deposit box, and I have enough "credits" for a third free one.
While I am an old foggie who still writes a few checks, I have posted in recent weeks my frustration at fees some merchants/government agencies add on if you pay by debit card or credit card, or electronic payment.

I think most all banks charge for checks unless you were grandfathered into a "free checks" account. I have checking accounts at Fifth Third and US Bank and both accounts don't charge me any fees for the account, but I do not get free checks.

I think most all banks charge for checks unless you were grandfathered into a "free checks" account. I have checking accounts at Fifth Third and US Bank and both accounts don't charge me any fees for the account, but I do not get free checks.

We have been with our neighborhood bank for 20+ years. Used to get free checks, including shipping to local bank. Then it changed to free checks, we pay postage, now it's pay both.

The local bank manager suggested we look at Wal-Mart for checks.

I just checked Wells Fargo. Checks are free if you have at least $25,000 total with the bank. Bank of America it's $20,000. But given than 62% of all Americans have less than $1,000 TOTAL in savings, most folks don't qualify.:rolleyes:

I just checked Wells Fargo. Checks are free if you have at least $25,000 total with the bank. Bank of America it's $20,000. But given than 62% of all Americans have less than $1,000 TOTAL in savings, most folks don't qualify.:rolleyes:

Most institutions allow some sort of free checking with a combination of qualifying factors. Direct deposit and a combined total of some amount may qualify you. Having more than one type of account with an institution may qualify you. Being a certain age can also garner benefits. It pays to thoroughly investigate before setting up an account.

Also, tying up that much money at a very low rate might not be worth saving $9 on checks every few years. Just a .0005 (.05%) difference in interest rates will net you $10 more a year on $20000!

Also, tying up that much money at a very low rate might not be worth saving $9 on checks every few years. Just a .0005 (.05%) difference in interest rates will net you $10 more a year on $20000!
At least with Wells Fargo, any balance with Wells Fargo Advisors (Stocks, etc) counts. So no low returns.

At least with Wells Fargo, any balance with Wells Fargo Advisors (Stocks, etc) counts. So no low returns.

Ok, then with them I guess it would depend on how their fees/rates compare with what you could pay elsewhere.

My bank printed me a page of 4 checks 8 years ago when I opened the account, for free. I still have 2 of them. o_O

Checksunlimited.com has a discount code (9TNT) that gets you a box of checks for $5.50. I am getting ready to order ours in a little bit so was looking around for just this earlier today. If you go through ebates, you also get 10% cash back.

costco. Even if you are not a member.

My daughter just ordered checks from them and they came in a week. Yes, she got too many (minimum order was 492 for $14.18, plus about 80-cent non-Costco-member charge) for the blue safety.

https://www.costcochecks.com/p/blue-safety-checks/88345
https://www.costcochecks.com/p/blue-safety-checks/88345
They are printed by Harland-Clarke, one of the top check printers in the USA. And they got here quick and they are perfect.

We ordered a couple of months ago from one of the other vendors recommended in this thread and they took forever to arrive and there were errors.

Never again. From now on, costco.

For my own account, my small community bank gives me checks for free....but that is rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!