where is the best place to stay in New York first time?

This is really great info! I know what 'rush hour' is for my small town but I would suspect it could be different/longer in a huge city like New York.... when you say avoid the subways at rush hour what times would you avoid?

Is there a specific app everyone is talking about when they say they've used their phones to navigate the subway system? DH and I are definitely planning on buying a subway pass for our trip, but I want to make sure I'm getting on the right train!

Any suggestions on a best time of year to visit? Or maybe any time of year to avoid? Like extreme amount of crowds for an event? We went to DC in early Sept when congress is out which made for less traffic, less cost, less crowds... How about when is best weather if crowds are about the same ?

This is really great info! I know what 'rush hour' is for my small town but I would suspect it could be different/longer in a huge city like New York.... when you say avoid the subways at rush hour what times would you avoid?

7-9am is rush hour in NYC. Also 4-6pm. The subways are so crowded you'll be body to body assuming you can get in the car.

Good tip is to go to the front or last car- it's usually less crowded.

Another tip- if all the cars are crowded but one, there's likely a very pungent situation in that car-- be it on the floor or an unkempt person.

I moved out of NYC a little over 7yrs ago when my oldest was in my belly but I also lived in NYC for 17yrs, starting my freshman year in college. Fun times.

We love the Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square Central located on 41st Street. It's just a block from Times Square and is close to Port Authority and about 10 mins from Penn Station. The hotel appears to be recently renovated with gorgeous rooms. The rates are very reasonable for the location.

Another vote for this one. We just stayed there over Thanksgiving. Great location and great rates. Rooms are tiny but nice, staff was wonderful. There's a subway stop right next door, which was great for going, but was a little tricky to find returning.

Subway was very confusing, but like someone else said be sure to download a map onto your phone. You probably won't even have to ask for assistance, we found that anytime we stood in front of a map looking confused for more than a couple of seconds somebody would offer to help us.

On the trains it is really bad I would say between 8:00-9:30 am and around 5:30-7:00 pm although it varies by line. For example, the 4/5/6 can be terrible at rush hour, this is one line I have had to wait for a few trains multiple times at rush hour (the trains are actually more narrow than other lines which is part of the problem and contributes to making it very squished in there) so it can be bad for a bit longer but those are the true peak times from my experience commuting for several years on several lines. For ex if you go to the MET the closest train is on the 4/5/6 so you might want to time it so you head out and head back downtown to your hotel by 4:30 otherwise it will be like a sardine can.

Rush hour for traffic is different, it lasts longer and can vary by tunnel or bridge but I would safely say morning rush hour gridlock can start as early as 7:00 and last to about 10:00 am and in the evening it can start as early as 4:00 pm and won't start clearing up until 8:00 pm or so.

Is there a specific app everyone is talking about when they say they've used their phones to navigate the subway system? DH and I are definitely planning on buying a subway pass for our trip, but I want to make sure I'm getting on the right train!

I actually don't have an app anymore since I only need a map on occasion. I would look for something free and with high ratings. Also if you have service you can go to mta.info which gives you the current status updates or use google maps as there is a direction option for walking/ public transit. We use the google map option when we are in an unfamiliar area and it works out great. There are maps on the platform and station but they are not always close to where you enter. You have a map on each train but its above the seats so chances are you will have to hover over a person and squint so a map app I think helps reassure you that you are on the right train once you are in transit and allows you to think of a new plan if they announce any sudden changes. I have actual looked up the map on mta.info and then just saved it in my photo folder in portions so its easy to access and zoom in without needing an app to save memory.

Any suggestions on a best time of year to visit? Or maybe any time of year to avoid? Like extreme amount of crowds for an event? We went to DC in early Sept when congress is out which made for less traffic, less cost, less crowds... How about when is best weather if crowds are about the same ?

NYC runs on typical tourist seasons. Late spring into early September is your tourist season as this is when students/ families can travel. I notice lots of school trips May into June (think seniors graduating). July into August you can have brutal heat waves so I would go with June over those two months. Even if you get rain its better than when we hit over 100 as the cement absorbs the heat, humidity can be high, and well the heat makes all the "city smells" that much stronger. Mid November into the first week of January can be very crowded as you get not only the tourists that are there for a few days, but you will also get lots of day trippers from the suburbs to see the tree and holiday lights (although honestly its as magical to me as it looks in Home Alone 2 so I don't blame them one bit). Mid January into March seems to be the slowest and quietest season but it can be brutally cold (below freezing some days with high winds). I would think this is when you would find the lowest prices as I see a lot less tourists. Fall is also slower and the weather can be just amazing so this would be my personal vote if you are able to work around your work/school schedules.

We love the Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square Central located on 41st Street. It's just a block from Times Square and is close to Port Authority and about 10 mins from Penn Station. The hotel appears to be recently renovated with gorgeous rooms. The rates are very reasonable for the location.

I just thought of one other thing - this hotel serves a free breakfast and it's a nice one, too.

I just visited NYC for the first time last November with my mom and 2 teens.
From where we live it's a 6 hour drive so we drove , parked in Weehawken and took the ferry to Manhattan. Much cheaper and easy peasy .

We stayed at the Hilton Times Square for 3 nights
Great hotel and convenient

We were on Good Morning America, visited Ground Zero and the 9/11 museum.
Took a carriage ride through Central Park( I have a great guy if you're interested)
Rode the carrousel in CP and walked around taking in the sites.

Walked down Park Avenue to Trump Tower and shopped in the area.
Took the Stattan island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty.

Shopped in Times Square and in some of the shopping district . Seen Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall.

Seen the show Aladdin, ate NY pizza and found this little mom and pop Mexican place. It was delicious!!

Went to the observatory area at the new World Trade Center too

We went literally non stop the whole time we were there
If u want any info let me know

We had a wonderful time
We are all hooked and can't wait to go back

Trying to decide if it's better to stay in jersey city at the hyatt, or stay in manhattan for a short trip in march. I'm just confused on where to park the car if I stay in manhattan. This sure seems complicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter