where is the best place to stay in New York first time?

The traffic is the first shock visiting NYC for my visit. I agree Time Square is a great place, but when it takes an hour to cross the bridges.... I loved how the subway is able to get around the traffic. However... getting there is a challenge from JFK.

Thoughts....
  • we really enjoyed using the affordable subway to get around the commuter congestion, especially to and from Manhatten.
  • someone recommended the now closed Pan American. At the $130 a night, the money saved covered our meals and admission cost compared to staying in Manhattan. Would love to see others recommend a similar budget hotel arrangement with convenient subway access.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn time square north. We really liked the location, free breakfast is nice and they will give you a take out breakfast bag with good treats for the day.

Thanks for all the advice. I am so overwhelmed. I have friends telling me how expensive it is and it stresses me a little. Is it worth going for 3 nights and 4 days? If we stay in Times Square area what will we be close too? We have never been on a subway before? How will I know we are getting on the right one? Sorry for the crazy questions.. Would it be worth it for a City pass for 3 days?

Le Parker Meridian, The London are other hotels I know people enjoyed
Thanks for all the advice. I am so overwhelmed. I have friends telling me how expensive it is and it stresses me a little. Is it worth going for 3 nights and 4 days? If we stay in Times Square area what will we be close too? We have never been on a subway before? How will I know we are getting on the right one? Sorry for the crazy questions.. Would it be worth it for a City pass for 3 days?
whenever my friends come to visit we always get the New York pass for 3 days. You should go through the list of things they offer, make a list of what you want to do and organize it by area. You don't want to be going to places on the Upper east side (Met for example) and then the Upper West side (ex. Museum of natural history) and head to 9/11 memorial downtown. It's not a smart move time wise and you'll spend a lot of money on taking the subway 500 times.

Times square you will be close to rockefeller center, bryant park.

The subway can be stressful, but if you have an iPhone and put in your locations the maps app will even tell you which trains to take, which direction etc.

Otherwise, NYC is pretty easy to navigate. It's a big checkerboard (besides broadway and once you get downtown).

I live 50 minutes from NYC and have been going my whole life, and every time I go I kindly ask the person next to me "where is this subway going?" The lines change a lot, are under construction, so its totally normal to ask your fellow rider if you're on the right subway car. I suggest getting out of Times Square for at least one day to get away from the crowds a bit and grab yourself some great food away from the more touristy areas. St. Marks, East or West Village,SoHo, all have smaller restaurants that are excellent. Some midtown also have package deals for Broadway shows :) JFK is my vote as well. Have a blast!!

Following as we are going to NYC in July with our 2 kids who are 10 and 7.

I would stay somewhere in midtown (and not Times Square, which is a zoo). We purposefully avoid that area most of the time (though we're having dinner near it tomorrow . . . )

I would have your 15 year old look at both the Newyorkpass.com and citypass websites to figure out what she might be the most interested in seeing to help determine which if any pass is the best for your trip. You might want to go to places not included such as United Nations and NBC studio tour. I found it easier to do Statue of Liberty without the pass so I could order tickets ahead of time. If you have any local museum memberships look for recipricality. I know we get into the Museum of Mathematics and USS Intrepid for free. For my kids (dd16 and dd12) the newyorkpass.com is a better deal than the citypass.

I wouldn't stress much about the subway - chances are your teenager will master it quickly. I just followed my dd14 around the first trip it was just me and her. I agree with staying outside of Times Square but when dd16 and I go alone that is her favorite place. My dd12 would pick NJ again since she needs her down time and prefers the breakfast, pool etc that she knows we had there and doesn't mind the longer commute to visit grandpa (lives in midtown).

For me, the hardest part about the subway was buying the metro card. It was fine... a homeless guy sort of took over our transaction for us and then asked nicely for money for helping (which we gave him, he did help, but I'm sure we could have figured it out). I got directions on my phone which told me what train to get on. My 4 year old was sorta intimidated the first ride... but by the end, she loved it. My 6 year old train buff loved it. We took the subway from Times Square (zoo... walking through with my kids was stressful) to Statue of Liberty. From there we walked to wall st and ground zero. Then we took the subway to the Empire State Building and then walked back to the hotel, just outside of Times Square.

We ate Thanksgiving dinner at a place called Rock Center Cafe. This was pretty cool because you could see all the people ice skating.

It was an amazing once in a lifetime type trip (cuz it was almost free-haha) I wish my kids had been a little older... but I'm SO thankful that they got to see some historical sites.

I agree.... once underground.... wayfinding can be a challenge for the subway when you have no idea which platform to stand/board for a newbie. Google Maps gave me confidence I was going in the right direction.

I just remember leaving JFK in my tour bus around 8:30am. Took us 3 hrs to get to Chinatown for lunch. Meanwhile, the subway kept cruising above us overhead. That made me look at the subway seriously. Love the price.

I stayed at the Cambria Hotel & Suites Times Square in October and highly recommend it. It was not smack down in Times Square but walkable to everything we visited and still considered Times Square location. It's a relatively new hotel so it was still in pristine condition and I had friends visit us while we were there and they both said for NY standards it was a nice sized room and bathroom. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

We flew in and out of LGA prior/after our NYC Canada cruise and it was indeed a zoo (so was Times Square but I knew that going into it). We took a taxi both to the hotel upon arrival and it took over an hour and was about $70 but I was ok with that as my mom was with me and I was willing to pay for the convenience factor and we actually split it. Just mentioning the price for others that might follow.

We really enjoyed our time there before the cruise!

Heather

I've stayed at the Times Square Hilton and also the Milford Plaza in the Times Square area (I think 8th and 45th). The Hilton was nice but the Milford Plaza was pretty crappy. I think it's been renovated/destroyed and may not even exist anymore.

I recommend Times Square area as that's where the majority of stuff you'll want to do is. The WTC area is way too far away from most things.

I'm going to piggy back on this for help on where to stay with my children. We're going in June. They'll be 15 and 13. My friend says I want to stay Midtown. We don't need fancy, but I'd like safe and clean. I didn't want to spend more than $250 a night, but when I look around, it doesn't look like that's going to be possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We don't need fancy, but I'd like safe and clean. I didn't want to spend more than $250 a night, but when I look around, it doesn't look like that's going to be possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If your fine with a basic no frills hotel we once stayed at the Chelsea Savoy hotel. It is in walking distance to Penn Station. It may be too far to walk to Times Square but easy to get there by subway. It was a direct commute from there to the Statue of Liberty. The hotel was very clean yet basic. I think the rooms were small but not tiny. It included a simple breakfast of bagels and drinks and had free wifi. It was listed at $225 for a room with 2 double beds on hotels.com for June 23rd to June 27th. I would look at a hotel price comparison site for ideas but if your interested in any compare prices on their own website using AAA. I only book hotels with a traditional 24 or 48 hr free cancellation policy. I typically look at reviews for any hotel on tripadvisor. I've also found great deals on travelzoo in the past.

OP- I completely get feeling overwhelmed about a trip to NYC. I'm definitely a country mouse (old story reference) and had not been other than flight connections in 30 years (and was completely fine with that; loved the energy and chaos as a teen, have no need as an adult). Unfortunately DD wanted her sweet 16 in the Big Apple so I bit the bullet.

I made her write down a list of "must dos/must sees" and since we were only there for realistically 2 nights and 2 full days I limited it. One of her must do was to watch the parade so we stayed (this goes against the budget board a bit so sorry) at the Essex House on Central Park South in a parade view room. So one thing checked off (again, completely budget busting but once in a lifetime thing). We also got tickets to a Broadway play-easily walkable from our hotel (checked off number two) and then walked to a bakery she HAD to go to (a mere 1.9 miles away)...each "must do" completed. We also walked around to see Rockefeller Center, Times Square and of course a lot of time in Central Park but nothing too crazy. I'm pretty sure you can live your entire life in NYC and not see everything that someone will say you must. So I'd have your DD do some research and then try to find a hotel the most proximal to all of the "must dos" (or figure out the subway if there's an outlier using the suggestions from PPs). I would say that flying in on a Tuesday and leaving Friday was a very short time so you might want to stay longer than that ;) A good map functions (google maps or the map function on I believe booking will help show the neighborhood so you can see restaurants, shops, etc in the vicinity).

For my research I read a book about taking kids to NYC, trip advisor and just good ol' google searches for things to do with teenagers. Good luck and have a great trip :)

I'm going to piggy back on this for help on where to stay with my children. We're going in June. They'll be 15 and 13. My friend says I want to stay Midtown. We don't need fancy, but I'd like safe and clean. I didn't want to spend more than $250 a night, but when I look around, it doesn't look like that's going to be possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Definitely check travelzoo and other travel sites. We landed the Crowne Plaza Times Square with a breakfast buffet during the Macys Thanksgiving parade weekend for $209 a night through Priceline a few years ago(not a name your own price, it was a special). The Hilton Times Square was in the $225-230 range during both visits. $250 a night should be fairly easy to do. We found that prices dropped the closer we got to the time of the trip.

So since I have lived within 2 hours of NYC my whole life (right now right across the Hudson in NJ just 15 minutes away) I rarely stay in hotels, but I will tell you in Times Square the hotel no matter how luxurious will have sound issues since it is so loud there. I paid a lot to stay next to my church for my wedding and it was so loud they leave earplugs on the nightstand. Another time I stayed near Carnegie Hall and it was much quieter, don't even remember lots of late night noise. I would recommend midtown but outside Times Square. Hotels are popping up in the city like wildfire, lots of options to choose from. A lot of the new ones are fancy boutique places or Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express etc. For ex. there is a Hampton Inn on 31st near a restaurant we go to, the neighborhood is a bit quieter than Times Square but close to subways and if you wanted to you could hike up to the Times Square area. The key is check that your hotel if outside the tourist area is close to a few subway lines, if you are further downtown many subway lines meet in Times Square so it makes it easy to transfer on your way uptown to museums.

Learning to use the subway is really important for a good trip. Traffic is terrible and with Uber/Lyftt you have so many cars on the road you can be in a car for hours rather than the subway for 15-20 minutes to cover the same distance at rush hour. The subway is actually fairly easy to use, what will throw you off is more advanced things like construction and local vs. express. In a nutshell the lines are color coded and either a letter or number. When you are on the track you are typically going to be looking for uptown or downtown in Manhattan, but it may be classified as the borough where it is ending. I would download a map to your phone that you can access without service. Check that your stop is local or express (on the map it will be a white or black circle) so you ensure you get on a train going to your stop (many in midtown or main tourist areas are not local so it makes it a lot easier). Local goes to all stops and express skips stops. Once in a subway station if there are multiple lines just follow the signs, honestly some are a bit confusing so even New Yorkers might go down the wrong hallway on occasion if they are in an unfamiliar station. Construction is usually in the evening or weekends, however there may be delays or issues at other times so before you go underground it helps to go to MTA.info to check the status of your line on their website. There is nothing worse than swiping to find out the train is undergoing major delays due to signal issues or stopped altogether due to a sick passenger. Honestly I always say that if you are a tourist and can its best to avoid rush hour as it will be majorly stressful to get on certain lines (so crowded you may wait a few trains and then have to push your way on). New Yorkers are not as mean and scary as you might see in the movies, look for a friendly face and politely ask for help if needed. I have been on trains and 3-4 people chime in to help a tourist (New Yorkers do like to show each other how much they know about the city and how authentic they are at times so this can work to your advantage lol). Working in midtown I got stopped for directions more times than I can tell you, I have even walked tourists to the subway entrance if its only a half block out of my way and I have the time.

As for getting from airports I have used both JFK and Newark. Newark is in NJ but there is a train that goes into the city and private shuttle buses that take you into midtown for a fairly reasonable amount, so don't rule out that airport as it sometimes has lower airfare and honestly I would rather get on a shuttle bus (they are like full size coach buses by the way, not mini school buses type things) for like $15 than have to use the subway. If you choose JFK you will need a car service, taxi, or take the subway. Taxis from Newark are going to be much higher, they charge more for going across state lines. The last time we had to use JFK we took a NJ transit but to midtown from our neighborhood in NJ then got a Lyfft to JFK from port authority. This saved us at least $40 off what they were quoting us if we had them do door to door. When we got back we did the same thing. If you can book flight times not at rush hour I find it makes life much easier as the subways are less crowded if you use them and Uber/Lyfft will have lower rates if you decide to grab one of those. If you have never used those services there is often a promo for new customers and then referal promos, so for ex. you can sign up to get the discount going to the hotel, and then you can have someone else in the party sign up and get the new customer promo for the ride going back to the airport. Also don't rule out flying into one airport and then flying out of another, we have done a split like that to save money or use miles. This is one thing that is great about this city, three airports mean you can shop around :)

Not all subway stations are handicap accessible so if you do plan on using them with luggage (which I have done several times but honestly am not a huge fan of unless absolutely necessary) pack as light as you can since you may be carrying luggage up or down a few flights of stairs. It also helps to have a backpack as your carry on so you have to lug just the main suitcase up/down the stairs.

The streets can be a bit brutal when it comes to walking so one more tip is to pack appropriate footwear so you don't need to buy anything while there. Nice sneakers, ballet flats, and riding boots or flat booties are the way to go for major sightseeing (I recommend sneakers most of the time). I joke the city eats my shoes, I buy ballet flats on sale and am lucky if I get a year out of them before they are completely worn out even from mild use.

I have stayed at the Hotel Deauville which has a nice quiet midtown location with rates less than $250. Its definitely no frills but clean and in a good neighborhood. I was with my family and it worked fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter