• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When was the last time you moved?

Curious what you did to change it from family home to retirement home.

We watched the invention of the wheel from this house and have no plans to move ever. At one time, we had thought of moving closer to DD ( little more rural), but as we got older, we find being closer to medical facilities getting more important.

Our house is no longer kid or pet friendly.
>Window treatments changed from inexpensive blinds and curtains that could be (and were) damaged by kids and pets to nicer ones. For example the $14 machine washable curtains from Target in what were our kids bed rooms that could be replaced every couple of years cheaply gave way to custom made shutters that cost $1,000. $250 curtains in the Living room to nice heavy $2,500 curtains.

>Shower doors changed from frosted glass that hides soap build up to clear glass that needs to be squeegeed and wiped down after every use.

>Laminate that.....unlike carpet.....does not hike dirt, spills etc. Our carpet was 35 years old, and when we pulled it up, it looked like a beach under the pad there was so much fine dirt. And we had it steam cleaned EVERY year for the entire 30+ years we owned the house. The house was 3 years old when we bought it.

> Had a ton of insulation blown into the attic, and solar put on the roof to cut energy bills

>Hand rails put in the shower in the master bath and the shower/bath combo in the guest bathroom.

>Corian in the kitchen, master bath counter and shower surround. Although with Corian, while it is very expensive, damaged can be cheaply and easily sanded away.

>A wine rack built into the kitchen cabinet.

March 2018, December 2016, May 2016. All for DH job promotions. We’re looking into settling into the area we’re in now. Before that we stayed put for almost 7 years.

7 years ago - down-sized from a large 2-story home to a single story. Unfortunately we still hVe boxes we haven’t unpacked! They went into closets; this is a project for when DH retires next year.

My sis & her husband just moved from the place they lived for 32 years - quite a down-size to a retirement community. It was a big challenge.

2 years ago. I really don't want to move again anytime soon. There was almost a ten year period where we moved almost every year. We rented and would find that after our year in the home that it was being put on the market or the owner was moving back to town.

One year we moved 4 times! An owner moving back to town, a short-term rental when long-terms were unavailable, a home whose owner lied to the property management company and us about it going into foreclosure, and then finally a place where we spent the next year.

It'll be 14 years next week! I am glad we finally settled down and gave DD a place to call home. She was born in Sept. 1993; her record of where we've lived since her birth (all different addresses):
1993-1993- San Francisco
1994-1994- Andover, MA
1994-1995- Andover, MA
1995-1999- Hazlett, MI
1000-2001- Lewisburg, PA
2001-2003- Bangor, ME
2003-2004- Orono, ME
2004- present- Orono, ME

Poor kid thought she was never going to have a home! Of course, DD moved to CT two years ago and has a home of her own, now... :) :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter