When a Foodie and a Picky Eater invade Disney World A 9/5-9/10 Updated 9/29

Great reviews. Your pictures are amazing!!!

Thank you, I'm convinced it's nearly impossible to take a bad picture of anything at Disney

Great reviews! Your pictures are amazing!!

Thank you once again

Everything looks fab!

It absolutely was!

Amazing reviews, & photos!

Thanks for the kind words

What great reviews...the desserts at the California Grill look amazing!

The desserts were amazing! My GF is still missing those filled fritters. She wasn't even upset they didn't have the strawberry shortcake dessert on the menu that the Disney website had listed.

Wow! Your photos are gorgeous.

I spy with my little eye smokey portobello bisque on the Territory Lounge menu. Can that be the same soup that they serve at Artist Point?

There was a recent thread on the main restaurant board asking if AP is still serving. I replied because my nephews had it at AP in July.

Now I wonder if it's here. :scratchin The Territory Lounge would make a nice adult beverage break from the MK.

i am exceedingly late, but here for the party. Great report so far. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

Love your Territory Lounge meal. This has always been on my list to try, largely because of the fondue, we just haven't quite gotten there yet. Gotta change that.

Your CG meal looks wonderful. We had a pretty disappointing flat bread on our last trip, now I know the one we should have ordered ; )

Sorry for the lack of an update, but when it's the fall it's college football season, and when the weather is just as perfect as it has been staying inside is something I try not to do too much of.

So we finished up our 2nd day at the Contemporary and the California Grill, well our 3rd day would have us back at the Contemporary early in the morning for breakfast, not as Chef Mickey's but at The Wave.

The Wave is one of those underlooked places in my opinion because well it doesn't have much of a theme going on. It's kind of bland and cookie cutter so it doesn't get talked up as much as other places. However, I have found that they do a great job with breakfast, and their breakfast buffet much like the Trail's End buffet is a great choice and very very cheap by Disney standards.

I knew I was I getting the buffet from the get go, but my GF decided to go a la carte for her breakfast choice.

She went with the Citrus Scented Brioche French Toast with a side of Chicken Sausage.

28983037494_f8b3e759a5_o.jpg

We always find it funny when things are labeled as "x scented". We never know does it mean they just leave it next to a bowl of oranges or what. She really liked this dish. The French Toast had that perfect mix of crispy and chewy. It did have a pronounced citrus flavor and also came with some sort of orange jelly/jam to put on top. My GF was also excited that they have chicken sausage as an option since she's not a fan of most pork breakfast sausage since it is spiced with fennel and caraway to things she really loathes.

28983054424_2a41971845_b.jpg

I started with these cute little containers of grapes/strawberries and another one of white chocolate yogurt, caramel, dried bananas, and some sort of nut I forgot what kind. The yogurt parfait thing was absolutely delicious. It was like a little breakfast dessert to get things started.

29608639975_4ad43dc617_k.jpg

One thing I was disappointed to see they didn't have the Wave Breakfast potatoes. Which were basically seasoned potato wedges with caramelized onions and potatoes. However they did have the always delicious cheesey hashbrowns. However the true standout of the buffet are the Tilamook Cheddar and Bacon grits. The first time I ever had grits was at The Wave a few years ago, and these things are always something I cannot wait to go back and try. I ended up getting it twice throughout my meal. Also another standout on the buffet is the honey-pecan butter they have for their waffles and pancakes.

I didn't take pictures of my second plate but it was virtually the same as the first.

Something that was interesting was when we got our juice they brought out this as well;

29499297392_f74aa049f9_k.jpg

It was this adorable mini Coke bottle cup that had some sort of Strawberry and Vegetable juice in. This was delicious, but I didn't apparently drink it fast enough as my GF decided to annex it from and down it in one gulp herself.

The Wave doesn't disappoint. It has a great although limited breakfast buffet, plus it has some pretty healthy and comforting a la carte options for the lighter eater.

Two random things;

I understand Disney is very accommodating when it comes when it comes to food allergies, but if you decide on your own that you aren't going to eat certain things don't mark down every allergy in the book. The table next to us had a group of 3 young ladies, and one of them marked down every allergy on the reservation. So they Chef came out and was nearly dumbfounded as what to do, until she said oh I'm not allergic, I'm just a practicing vegan and marked down everything to be safe. Why not just note the food restriction on the reservation by saying Vegan or hell even when you get seated just tell the server you are vegan and would it be possible for the chef to come out and talk to me about my choices. I don't know if they feel if it's their choice to limit what they can eat versus being legitimately allergic to something Disney won't cater to the former verse the latter.

Also another thing, the bathroom in the lobby of the Contemporary is amazing. Seriously I LOVED the tile work they did in there.

29574230816_485541f113_k.jpg

Very sleek, very modern. I know random but I thought it was something very pretty.

Great review of the Wave. It sure has been getting some great reviews on our board lately.

So, from the Wave we decided to pound out a decent half day at Hollywood Studios.

Growing up, whenever we went to the Studios, we always had to eat at Sci-Fi. Yes the food isn't the fanciest, but I never had a bad meal here. You get what you expect, and they throw in that immersion of building a theme and story which Disney does so very well.

7169278171_dbc9e8cb86_b.jpg

28921951864_c51bd28f2a_b.jpg

The nice thing about Sci-Fi is that especially for my GF who is a very picky eater she had no issue finding something on the menu to order. Compared to other places like California Grill or Artist Point where she needs a dictionary or interpreter to break down what certain terms or things are. Seriously, if it wasn't for watching Frasier so much and knowing some basic French words I would never have known the "Graham Cracker Sable" was actually Graham Cracker sand with one of the desserts, but I digress.

We were looking over the appetizers, but when our server told us about the specialty milkshake we both ended up order that in lieu of an appetizer. That being the S'mores milkshake.

29466701291_bf69ef2664_z.jpg

This was pretty darn tasty, not as good as the S'mores creme brulee from California Grill, but this was good nonetheless. What really was a nice surprise was the fact they used marshmallow fluff instead of whipped cream.

When it comes to our entrees.

28983888414_857780e9a4_b.jpg

Smoked Turkey Sandwich - on fresh-baked multigrain roll, smoked turkey, hickory-smoked crispy Bacon, Lettuce, and Vine-ripened Tomatoes with Avocado Mayonnaise. She picked this sans the tomato. She was amazed at how much turkey they piled on the roll, and it wasn't dry like she finds some turkey sandwiches to be.

29574318006_d329836726_b.jpg

I went with the specialty burger which was a Fried Boursin cheese Burger. This was an absolute delight as an absolute mess to eat. The first bite sent oozy cheese in every direction. The herby saltiness of the cheese went well with the peppery greens. The other thing I adore about Sci-Fi is the thick cut steak fries they serve. The burger was perfectly cooked to medium, and was moist and bursting with flavor.

It was a chore to take these pictures. As most people who know at Sci-Fi it's borderline pitch black in there. That was the running joke about the quality of food served there, that they have to keep you in the dark since you wouldn't want to see what you are shoveling into your mouth. The only way I got these pictures to look somewhat visible was to flash my GF's flashlight on her phone, crank up the ISO on my camera and just hope for something visible.

9Zj4CPE.jpg

I really cannot wait for Star Wars land in it's entirety, and can only hope that it really turns the Studios around. If you're not into Thrill Rides, you can pretty much get out of the Studios in about 1 hour if you time things correctly. I was shocked to find out that Star Tours would pretty much be my GFs favorite ride she experienced in the entire trip. Best part was getting there so early we rode it 3 times in a row via standby before using our FP+ for it.

So, from the Wave we decided to pound out a decent half day at Hollywood Studios.

Growing up, whenever we went to the Studios, we always had to eat at Sci-Fi. Yes the food isn't the fanciest, but I never had a bad meal here. You get what you expect, and they throw in that immersion of building a theme and story which Disney does so very well.

7169278171_dbc9e8cb86_b.jpg

28921951864_c51bd28f2a_b.jpg

The nice thing about Sci-Fi is that especially for my GF who is a very picky eater she had no issue finding something on the menu to order. Compared to other places like California Grill or Artist Point where she needs a dictionary or interpreter to break down what certain terms or things are. Seriously, if it wasn't for watching Frasier so much and knowing some basic French words I would never have known the "Graham Cracker Sable" was actually Graham Cracker sand with one of the desserts, but I digress.

We were looking over the appetizers, but when our server told us about the specialty milkshake we both ended up order that in lieu of an appetizer. That being the S'mores milkshake.

29466701291_bf69ef2664_z.jpg

This was pretty darn tasty, not as good as the S'mores creme brulee from California Grill, but this was good nonetheless. What really was a nice surprise was the fact they used marshmallow fluff instead of whipped cream.

When it comes to our entrees.

28983888414_857780e9a4_b.jpg

Smoked Turkey Sandwich - on fresh-baked multigrain roll, smoked turkey, hickory-smoked crispy Bacon, Lettuce, and Vine-ripened Tomatoes with Avocado Mayonnaise. She picked this sans the tomato. She was amazed at how much turkey they piled on the roll, and it wasn't dry like she finds some turkey sandwiches to be.

29574318006_d329836726_b.jpg

I went with the specialty burger which was a Fried Boursin cheese Burger. This was an absolute delight as an absolute mess to eat. The first bite sent oozy cheese in every direction. The herby saltiness of the cheese went well with the peppery greens. The other thing I adore about Sci-Fi is the thick cut steak fries they serve. The burger was perfectly cooked to medium, and was moist and bursting with flavor.

It was a chore to take these pictures. As most people who know at Sci-Fi it's borderline pitch black in there. That was the running joke about the quality of food served there, that they have to keep you in the dark since you wouldn't want to see what you are shoveling into your mouth. The only way I got these pictures to look somewhat visible was to flash my GF's flashlight on her phone, crank up the ISO on my camera and just hope for something visible.

9Zj4CPE.jpg

I really cannot wait for Star Wars land in it's entirety, and can only hope that it really turns the Studios around. If you're not into Thrill Rides, you can pretty much get out of the Studios in about 1 hour if you time things correctly. I was shocked to find out that Star Tours would pretty much be my GFs favorite ride she experienced in the entire trip. Best part was getting there so early we rode it 3 times in a row via standby before using our FP+ for it.

Those pictures are fantastic! I think the flashlight did its job!

I'm enjoying your photos just as much as your dining reviews!

Now I'm craving that burger and shake! Thanks! Oh, and your pictures were great! I could see every juicy detail of that burger, and the crispiness of the fries!

Awesome pictures! What a Great View!pixiedust: Those pork nachos look amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!