Wheelchair and/or Motorized Wheelchair Rentals???

ptslp

Mouseketeer
We will be going to WGW with a large group (13 total!) at the end of the month. One of the group will be 84 and we have considered the motorized ECV (I think that is the acronym), but the cost is so high- are there places outside the world that we can rent from?
Also, my 12 year old niece has a broken toe that has not yet healed properly and she may need a wheelchair- we are considering letting them share the motorized chair if we get it, but if not, can we rent a regular wheelchair from outside the parks? There is so much walking outside the parks that I would like for her to be able to have something for DTD and at the resort.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Welcome to disABILTIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The third item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent ECVs and wheelchairs from off-site. Any of the companies listed will give good service and prices.

As far as your niece is concerned; she cannot use an ECV. The rental agreements, both from Disney and the off-site companies, prohibit someone under age 18 from using them.

Minor point - there is a big difference between an Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV) and a motorized wheelchair (powerchair). An ECV has three or four wheels, is steered by a tiller, and uses a lever to control speed. A powerchair looks somewhat like a wheelchair, is customized for the user, and uses a joy stick to control both speed and direction. Off-site vendors will rent an ECV to anyone over 18; they will only rent a powerchair to someone who regularly uses one and who can provide the control and other settings in advance.

Also, with a group of more than six you will have to split up some times; the normal rules are that alternate entrance/handicap access is generally limited to the disabled person and up to five additional people.

Thanks!! I meant an ECV- definately know the difference between the motorized wheelchair and ECV, just didn't phrase it well!!

I didn't realize that you had to be 18 for the ECV- but it makes sense!!

We probably wouldn't need the alternate entrance- both members of the party can walk and stand long enough for the lines, the ECV or wheelchair would be for the distances/length of day issues!

Thanks again for your response! I really appreciate it.

forr2grls said:
check out this site www.medicaltravel.org click on florida mobility
Have you rented from them and have any comments about your experience?
There are several companies listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that many DIS posters have had good experiences with over the years.

The 84 year old the OP asked about may actually feel more comfortable being pushed in a wheelchair. A lot depends on how comfortable he/she feels driving, especially driving in crowds. Some people find that it takes a lot more attention and makes them more tired to drive an ECV, especially if they don't drive a car. A good place to practice is either in a grocery store or a large store like a Walmart. Those types of places often have ECVs for use by their customers. Those ECVs are much larger than the kind you can rent at WDW (either from the parks or off-site). Besides that, they have a large cart stuck onto the front. So, if someone can drive one of those, they won't have much trouble driving one of the rental ones.

For the 12 yr old with a broken toe; if she is small, she may be more comfortable in a pediatric wheelchair - those are more available from the off-site rental places than in the parks. And, as was already mentioned, she would not be able to drive an ECV.

We recently got back from a trip to WDW with a total of 14 people, including my youngest DD with a wheelchair and multiple problems, my nephew with ADD, a friend with bad knees, and my MIL and FIL, who are both over 75 and have some mobility problems.
My biggest hint is to not try to stay together. With a group that large, it's very difficult, especially if the parks are crowded. If you eat out, it's hard to find a place that the entire party likes and you won't be at one table anyway. It's not likely that everyone will be ready to eat at the same time and if you are at counter service places, it's hard to find seats at the smae time for that many. Some people may want to hit all the thrill rides, while others don't want to go on any. Some might be happiest tanning by the pool (friend's wife) while others don't like to swim at all (MIL and FIL). Some walk fast, others walk slow.
I'd suggest planning activities for parts of your group, not the entire group and use cell phones to hook up with each other. We sometimes were in the same park, but doing different things.

SueM in MN said:
Have you rented from them and have any comments about your experience?
There are several companies listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that many DIS posters have had good experiences with over the years.
I have not personally had any experience with them. My Aunt has used them a few times and loves them. We are going to try them when we go in december. Hopefully it will be a great experience! I will let you know how it goes. If you dont mind waiting that long!lol..

forr2grls said:
I have not personally had any experience with them. My Aunt has used them a few times and loves them. We are going to try them when we go in december. Hopefully it will be a great experience! I will let you know how it goes. If you dont mind waiting that long!lol..
Nope. It's always good to have more places.
The main 3 that we have listed are ones that lots of people have used with good results, but I will put more and just indicate that we have less feedback on them.
Hope your trip is great.

Cheshire Figment said:
Welcome to disABILTIES!

As far as your niece is concerned; she cannot use an ECV. The rental agreements, both from Disney and the off-site companies, prohibit someone under age 18 from using them.

This is not etirely true. Kids under 18 can use their own mobility scooter at the parks just as they can use their own powerchair. The issue is it's unlikely to find a rental for a scooter or powerchair for a child that does not have a permanent disability.

bumpysheep said:
This is not etirely true. Kids under 18 can use their own mobility scooter at the parks just as they can use their own powerchair. The issue is it's unlikely to find a rental for a scooter or powerchair for a child that does not have a permanent disability.
That's what Cheshire Figment was trying to say. (The OP was mentioning they thought about renting one ECV and letting 12 yr old niece and the 84 yr old share using it).

If someone has their own power wheelchair or mobility scooter, WDW can't/won't prevent them from using it just because they are under 18.

Sue's right (of course :)) It's the rental agreement that prohibits people under 18 from renting/using an ECV; nobody anywhere would prohibit anyone from using their own mobility device.
Also, expanding on Cheshire Figment's post - I don't know what the OP meant by "share", but the same rental agreement, as well as common sense, prohibits more than one person riding at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter