What's your supply chain issue? How's this one for a start?

Saw this in the WSJ this morning and will post link below for anyone who can read it, but the gist is that the cost to ship a container across the pacific dropped by 26% last week....due to demand easing. So, that's at least a blip of light at the end of the tunnel. Ports are still jammed and we have a serious shortage of workers to move things around this country, but demand easing at the international level is a start.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ocean-shipping-rates-fall-but-ports-are-still-jammed-11636972201

I’m in manufacturing and do a lot of freight shipments. Shipping has been crazy expensive. Last week, prices dropped so we were able to ship a container. We’ve been holding off so it was a huge relief to see it open up.

As for our household, my husband can’t source the oil he needs for his diesel truck. That’s our big supply chain issue this week.

Free frozen turkey with accumulated $400 of purchases from October 16-November 24 at Shop Rite. $300 at Acme.

SR also has choice of frozen turkey breast, shank half ham, and a few other things. Or so much off per pound for Butterball and/or fresh turkey or butt half or spiral ham.

Combining both mine and DD’s rewards cards, we already earned the free Acme turkey breast. Just need to pick it up this weekend. We’re at about $300 for a free or discounted item at SR. We’ll save that one for Christmas.

This week's shopping update: Meijer had a million turkeys of all sizes and most of the fixin's. Only "shortage" was paper products and if and when they could get them on the shelf you could only buy 2.

We bought a 24 pounder for $8 as they were 33 cents a pound.

The pasta aisle in my grocery store was pretty much bare. If you wanted elbows there were a few boxes left, and if you wanted $5 a box chickpea pasta you were good. Everything else was gone. Even the gross whole wheat stuff was gone.
Chicken broth cleared out, every brand was gone.
Frozen vegetables 3/4 empty.
Cat litter pretty empty but I was able to get the last 2 bags for my cats.

I'm not going to advocate hoarding but if you see something that is clearly not being replenished then stock up.

Tankers used to come to farms, once every 3 days. Milk was stored at in big coolers in the milk house. I know some farmers that still drink unpasteurized whole milk. And now it is known the fat in whole milk is a good fat. I cannot drink it. Too creamy.
Just got chewed out by my Doctor for not drinking non-fat milk. Never heard anywhere that butter fat is a good fat.

The pasta aisle in my grocery store was pretty much bare. If you wanted elbows there were a few boxes left, and if you wanted $5 a box chickpea pasta you were good. Everything else was gone. Even the gross whole wheat stuff was gone.
Chicken broth cleared out, every brand was gone.
Frozen vegetables 3/4 empty.
Cat litter pretty empty but I was able to get the last 2 bags for my cats.

I'm not going to advocate hoarding but if you see something that is clearly not being replenished then stock up.

Interesting. I had the opposite experience yesterday at my Trader Joe's.....everything was stocked. I was surprised that not a single thing I needed was in short supply. I'm not cooking a traditional thanksgiving this year but made a point to check out what they had. All of the thanksgiving supplies were there as well....including cranberry sauce which I've read is in short supply. Maybe I hit them on a good day. And I guess it can also be a regional thing.

So far, Americans are still spending away. Retail sales were up 1.7% in October according the commerce department.

So our reginal grocery store, Hy-Vee has frozen butterball turkeys for the ridiculous price of $2.29/lb. Aldi add came out today an their butterball turkeys are $.87/lb. Guess where we bought our turkey from. We paid $14 for our 16 1/2 lb turkey. Heck of a deal. That is probably the cheapest in town.

What's your supply chain issue?
For me it’s the semi conductor chip shortage, the boats held off and the containers not getting off loaded. I own a car audio store and I haven’t had any Kenwood or JVC radios for the last 6 months. The only saving grace is I am 1 of 30 Alpine Style Centers in the USA. I get priority for all Alpine car audio so I have been getting radios here and there. I am only getting 5 models ranging from $499 to $1,149 but at this time I am completely out of stock. I am praying I get some units in before our Black Friday sale. I do still have plenty of amplifiers and speakers but radios are a big part of our sales. We even rearranged our shop and moved our lead installer to another bay so we can take in more window tint jobs during the supply shortage. Another shortage is speaker boxes. We get what we can but the price has quadrupled in 6 months. It’s been a hard year and I have been told it’s not going to get better anytime soon.

For our area in Massachusetts, lettuce, and particularly good, decent-looking romaine lettuce has been as elusive as a unicorn. It has been well over a month since I have found any at Market Basket, and for a few weeks before that, the lettuce they were carrying looked awful. When I was there today, they were out of nearly every variety of lettuce, save a few very tiny, red leaf lettuce heads. Fresh garlic heads are another thing that is nearly impossible to find. They had garlic at the store, but it all looks so old, that again, I just walked away from it. They did seem well-stocked in their T-giving day produce items though...tons of celery, carrots, onions, green beans, and potatoes. I didn't walk up and down every aisle, so I can't speak to other areas like paper goods.

Bananas also seem hit or miss. There are days when there are no bananas, and then days like today where there are only a few left. Even Whole Foods had revamped their banana display to only be two small end-caps in the produce section, where bananas usually get one whole side of a display.

Ditto on the lettuce. I buy bagged salad, but I've definitely noticed it isn't as fresh and spoils more quickly.

I get my lettuce at Sam's club - 2 heads in a bag. Not had a problem getting it. Also bananas - every week, not problem.

This week no toilet paper in our regular Sam's club, but did get it at another one nearby. Still no Diet Coke ANYWHERE. We did find 5 bottles of 2 liter Diet Coke, but that's not convenient for taking in lunch to work. Did buy it for use at home, though.

We're loaded with lettuce of all kinds, bananas and diet coke
Haven't checked toilet paper lately

Holy crap! I've been to the grocery store for the first time in about 2 weeks and my bill is about 35% more than usual. :eek: :faint: At least the store looked pretty stocked. Probably because no one else was buying at these prices. :sad2:

turkey-butterball is on sale here at $1.39 per pound BUT only those with a minimum weight of 10 pounds and the 10/11 pounders are in short supply. anything smaller than 10 pounds will run you-even no name off brands-at least $3.99 per pound :faint:

saw the frozen section being stocked today with marie calendar items-employee said it was the first shipment they had received of any of that brand's products in over a month.

Holy crap! I've been to the grocery store for the first time in about 2 weeks and my bill is about 35% more than usual. :eek: :faint: At least the store looked pretty stocked. Probably because no one else was buying at these prices. :sad2:

Yeah, my HMart has repriced everything over the last month. My Aldi's has, too, but not AS high a change...yet...

I spent 25% more at my HMart than my norm on my last trip...same amount of produce and protein (which is what I buy there)...

So our reginal grocery store, Hy-Vee has frozen butterball turkeys for the ridiculous price of $2.29/lb. Aldi add came out today an their butterball turkeys are $.87/lb. Guess where we bought our turkey from. We paid $14 for our 16 1/2 lb turkey. Heck of a deal. That is probably the cheapest in town.

Butterballs were .87 at Aldi here too. I have not seen the smaller ones since about 3 weeks ago when they were $1.19 Still that price was a deal on an 8-12 pounder. I did notice today they got some small ones in but they were Fresh honeysuckle white at $1.49 Yet again a good deal on Fresh 8-12 pounders. That is the cheapest price not on a purchase this amount and get a butterball for x a pound that I have seen here. They have the hams in too here. Oh my those are better than the regular supers spiral hams at half the price!!! Well that is it used to be half the price until the bigger stores found out and both had an in store sale on their spiral hams this week. Last year's best price was $1.29 on the 8-12 and $1.09 on the bigger butterballs. So on the little ones, it's a little better this year and on the bigger ones it's a lot better. The bigger stores store brand turkeys here are .49 for the 12-25 pounders and .99 for the under 12s. Their butterballs came down to .99 no doubt in response to Aldis at .87 which has been going on for a couple of weeks now. They're all running buy $X and get the turkey free sales as well. Those deals are not as good. Used to be $100. Now it's $200. Really, spending $200 to get a free $6-$12.50 turkey (It's the .49 ones on the deal) isn't one I'd do unless I already intended to spend that anyway.

Aldis doesn't carry everything I want for Thanksgiving dinner at but one could have a good dinner just shopping there and they had everything in stock. Canned cranberries, fresh cranberries, canned green beans, fresh green beans. Everything. Potatoes, Onions. The other stores were well stocked too. By the end of the day Sunday, that may not be the case but that happens every year.

All the media doom and gloom predictions of Thanksgiving being ruined because you wont be able to find a single can of who hash and prices costing you your first born didn't come to pass at all here. In fact they couldn't have been more wrong.

No German's Sweet Chocolate bars at our only "normal" grocery store in town. It's a popular item during the holiday months, but there wasn't even a spot for it. Looked at online ordering at a few other stores in our county and can't find it. I did find it online for shipping, but don't want a case of it. Oh well, I can easily make another plan, but it is kind of disappointing!

Updating to say a Walmart at the next town over showed they had it, so I went for a drive!

Last edited:
No brown and serve rolls for Thanksgiving and no distilled water for dh's cpap.

Went to Walmart and Winn Dixie. Found everything else I looked for- food for Thanksgiving, half and half, cream cheese blocks, butter, all vegetables, meats, etc. And toilet paper, laundry detergent. Vitamins, make up and shampoo.

They were stocking every Thanksgiving staple fast and plentiful at Walmart

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter