What's the best pre-paid currency card to have ???

Bluebird from Walmart may work for what you need... it is more of a re-loadable account than a prepaid.

Bluebird from Walmart may work for what you need... it is more of a re-loadable account than a prepaid.

Is this something someone without a bank account could use to pay bills and what-nots? My 21yr old niece just moved in with us to try to get her life together and she doesn't have a bank account (due to previous poor decisions). She needs something she can use to pay her school loan with. I refuse to allow her to use my account.

I won't get into WHY we did it, but we needed a prepaid cash card.

I talked to several people, including the VP of my community bank, who knows me quite well.

The hands down suggestion was to get a VISA PREPAID TRAVEL CARD. You can get them at most credit unions, and AAA.

This was a few years ago and I cannot relate the pluses on the "Travel Visa Card" as compared to the cards you get OTC at WalMart and 7/11, but the Travel Visa from the Credit Union was much superior.

It's basically designed as a modern day replacement for traveler's checks, but you can use it anywhere credit/debit cards are taken.

Google it. Not connected to any of your accounts, etc. So, fairly safe. Can only spend or access what you load on the card.

Is this something someone without a bank account could use to pay bills and what-nots? My 21yr old niece just moved in with us to try to get her life together and she doesn't have a bank account (due to previous poor decisions). She needs something she can use to pay her school loan with. I refuse to allow her to use my account.

Yes - with almost no fees.

https://www.bluebird.com/

Just an aside, Bluebird, being AmEx connected, is not as widely accepted as a VISA branded card.

Also, Bluebird takes some hits in customer satisfaction:

https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/banking/single/id/bluebird-prepaid-card

I thought the same thing about being accepted but have not been to a store yet that does not take AE other than Sams Club but they don't take Visa either.

Hey everyone's experience will be different but this one has low to no fees.

Travelers checks are so 20th century, ;). Almost no one uses them these days and many places no longer accept them.

Never had an issue with Travelers Checks. Used them last month in Disneyland, used them in England last summer. Will use them in Spring Training in Phoenix in 2 months.
Now, I wouldn't go into a store and make a $10 purchase and expect them to make change for a $100 travelers check. I carry $20 travelers checks. But that's no different than the growing number of small businesses that have signs up saying they don't accept any bills larger than $20. I get that.

Never had an issue with Travelers Checks. Used them last month in Disneyland, used them in England last summer. Will use them in Spring Training in Phoenix in 2 months.
Now, I wouldn't go into a store and make a $10 purchase and expect them to make change for a $100 travelers check. I carry $20 travelers checks. But that's no different than the growing number of small businesses that have signs up saying they don't accept any bills larger than $20. I get that.

Remember, the English now require Bun Bags on old "flossie" too -- and that you may have trouble buying her oats with your travelers checks:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/disadvantages-travelers-checks-traveling-108262.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter