• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's for dinner? Was it "budget"?

Hi all...
Dinner tonight will be Boneless, skinless chicken thighs on the BBQ. They were on sale for $3.99 for a big bag of them, we will use about half the bag tonight and freeze the rest for another night.
Along with them, i think we will have baked potatoes and a fresh veg of some sort, maybe cauliflower or little baby yellow squash.

Okay I have to start my not so great meal run.. 2 soccer games and 1 band concert tonight:scared1: and I only have 2 kids??:confused3

chicken nuggets (frozen) $3.50
rice-a-roni (low sodium) $1.00
Corn cut off the cob from last night $0.50
Salad w/toppings $2.00

$7.00 - No lefovers:eek:

I'm changing my plans. :) McDonalds is having the free Southern Chicken sandwiches all day today. So I'm making the sides and picking up the free Southern Chicken sandwhiches to go.

I actually had one for lunch. I liked it! It was really big. So what the heck. :upsidedow The offer is unlimited, just for today. Nationwide promotion.

I love free! :)

DH bought me a Disney Recipe Cookbook for Mom's Day :lovestruc so i made the Flame Tree BBQ sauce... very yummy! :goodvibes
I put some in the crockpot with a pork tenderloin($5.00) and some baked beans($1.00) this morning.
Will make some greens ($1.99) & cornbread (.50 jiffy mix..my fave).

I'm changing my plans. :) McDonalds is having the free Southern Chicken sandwiches all day today. So I'm making the sides and picking up the free Southern Chicken sandwhiches to go.

I actually had one for lunch. I liked it! It was really big. So what the heck. :upsidedow The offer is unlimited, just for today. Nationwide promotion.

I love free! :)

We went to Dunkin Donuts and got the free iced coffee, and we also went to McDonald's and got the free chicken sandwiches (w/ purchase of a drink). So, 3.66 for 2 iced coffees, 1 coke, 1 chocolate shake, and 2 chicken sandwiches. Not too bad! (Not too healthy either, but I digress...)

I've got Chili Verde Pork in the crockpot. Pork that I bought on sale cut up, 2 jars chili verde, an onion chopped, can of diced tomatoes and minced garlic. Served in a tortilla. Around $12 total but will get several meals out of it.

Pretty good too!

We went to Dunkin Donuts and got the free iced coffee, and we also went to McDonald's and got the free chicken sandwiches (w/ purchase of a drink). So, 3.66 for 2 iced coffees, 1 coke, 1 chocolate shake, and 2 chicken sandwiches. Not too bad! (Not too healthy either, but I digress...)

Yeah, not the healthiest. But it was decent. I made the apple slaw and corn with it. So it wasn't too bad for the kids. :upsidedow

Okay I have to start my not so great meal run.. 2 soccer games and 1 band concert tonight:scared1: and I only have 2 kids??:confused3

chicken nuggets (frozen) $3.50
rice-a-roni (low sodium) $1.00
Corn cut off the cob from last night $0.50
Salad w/toppings $2.00

$7.00 - No lefovers:eek:

Not bad! Think how much it would have been if you got fast food! I don't consider $7 bad at all.

We had turkey and cheese melts and tomato soup. It was very budget.

woohoo!!! Everyone has gone home:cool1: :lmao: It means my family can go back to eating at home and our tummies will be thanking us I believe.

Tonight will be upside down night:

french toast: bread free
scrambled eggs: about a $1 worth between this and the french toast
sausage: $1 on sale
assorted fruit: probably about a $1's worth

phew!! love the looks of $3 opposed to the $150 spent on Saturday for the birthday party dinner!!

Cute. We do that, too, but we call it "backwards night." ;)

Yesterday we had fish fried in olive oil and S&P plus lima beans and rice. Tonight we had spaghetti and a salad.

I am going to be cooking stir fry tomorrow. I plan to use up batches of Asian noodles in my pantry, too.

Thanks for the recipes... I add them to my MasterCook and will use them in the future. :)

For lunch, I had my "free" chicken sandwich from McDonald's and a medium diet coke: $1.48

The in-laws were in town for my DS13's band concert tonight, so I bought two pizzas, made a huge salad, a fruit salad, and a pan of peanut butter chip brownies. The pizzas were $18, even with a coupon:sad2: . I can't get past the fact that they charge $2 for a topping, and there was barely a handful of mushrooms on there! Not nearly $2 worth! (this is a local pizza place).

Tomorrow will be a variety of leftovers: there's ham from last night, Hamburger Helper from the night before, and three slices of pizza.

Awesome thread! I am in LOVE with it!

I'm a single mom, so budget is important. It took me a long time to understand how to budget, but over a year of being out of work will teach you many things.

Now that I'm back at work though, budget is STILL important (planning that WDW trip! :thumbsup2 ), but MORE important is FAST! By the time I get home from work my DD is ready NOW for dinner and all I want to do is veg! :happytv:

I'm still compiling recipes that are easy, fast, cheap, and DD likes. This thread is going to help ALOT, so THANKS! :worship:

A couple recipes that I use regularly:

Chicken Squares

1 whole chx breast/2 half chx breasts/2 thighs OR 2 cans of cooked chx
two pkgs crescent rolls (reduced fat tastes NO different than reg for this purpose)
1 or 2 pkg reduced fat cream cheese (mom used reg when I was growing up, and I've never tried FF) How much you use depends on how creamy you want it.
1/2-3/4 c. chopped onions
OPTIONAL mom always added about a tsp of pimentos, but they were mainly for color. I've tried minced garlic, but it doesn't add much flavor. Onion works better.

1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on crescent roll pkg. Take the cream cheese and leave it out while you're dealing with the chicken.
2. If you're using fresh chicken, season to taste and cook as you prefer. I like to broil it.
3. After your chicken is cooked, let it cool until you can handle it. While it's cooling, chop your onions and put into a mixing bowl.
4. Once it's cool, shred the chicken or cut into small pieces and put into the mixing bowl.
5. Add the cream cheese and use a fork to mix the chicken, onion, and cream cheese together. (Add pimentos now if you decide to add them.)
6. Use Pam or other cooking spray on a baking sheet, I usually cover mine with aluminum foil. Open crescent rolls. Use TWO of the triangles for each chicken square. Lay out flat on the baking sheet and kind of stretch out a little bit. Use your fingers to make sure the "seam" stays together.
7. How much you use of the chicken/cream cheese mixture is up to you. I'd use about 1/3 -1/2 c. in each one. Once you have enough, pull up the corners of the crescent roll corners one at a time to make a package.
8. Do this until all of the crescent rolls are gone. (Duh.)
9. Place baking sheet in oven and cook according to crescent roll directions.

Serve with salad and veggies or fruit.

Makes 8 servings.

NOTE: Use the triangles instead of the "squares" to make servings for little ones or to make a great appetizer!

TWO NIGHT MEXICAN FIESTA
Night #1: Fajitas

Flour tortillas
2 Chicken breasts cut into strips
1 large yellow onion, cut in half and then thinly sliced.
2 yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
Fajita seasoning (I buy a local brand that was about $2)

Season chicken strips and fry on the stove top. After they are partially done (cook about 2-3 min on med-high) lightly season the onions/peppers and throw them in the frying pan. Warm the tortillas.

I serve them with salsa, sour cream, lime wedges, cheese and avocados (when in season).

Night #2: Quesadillas and salad

You can actually give two options here. Either use the leftover chicken/peppers on top of a salad, or you can chop up the leftovers into smaller chunks and then broil up/fry up some quesadillas. Instead of using a high fat salad dressing use: fresh salsa, add a dash of vinagarette to it and throw on top of your fajita salad.

I do alot of chicken because, according to my family, I am the QUEEN of chicken. I'm the only one in the family that can do chicken that isn't DRY. No matter how I make my chicken, (fry, broil, bbq, bake), it's ALWAYS perfect! My DD loves my chicken, so that's another reason I use it alot. I usually have a simple side like rice, risotto, or couscous.

A couple of my favorite quick from the freezer items:

TJs frozen brown rice - 3 packets in one box for a total of six servings. Wonderful brown rice perfectly cooked EVERY TIME in THREE minutes is worth every penny. It's not expensive though. Something like $2.99 a box.
TJs Frozen Chicken Pomodoro - This might feed three people. I was amazed that it tasted EXACTLY like Olive Garden's dish. Not super cheap at $6.99, but better than the $50 I'd spend at Olive Garden. :rotfl:

I'm only up to page 30, I can't wait to read more! Thanks to everyone who's already posted!

Chicken Squares

1 whole chx breast/2 half chx breasts/2 thighs OR 2 cans of cooked chx
two pkgs crescent rolls (reduced fat tastes NO different than reg for this purpose)
1 or 2 pkg reduced fat cream cheese (mom used reg when I was growing up, and I've never tried FF) How much you use depends on how creamy you want it.
1/2-3/4 c. chopped onions
OPTIONAL mom always added about a tsp of pimentos, but they were mainly for color. I've tried minced garlic, but it doesn't add much flavor. Onion works better.

1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on crescent roll pkg. Take the cream cheese and leave it out while you're dealing with the chicken.
2. If you're using fresh chicken, season to taste and cook as you prefer. I like to broil it.
3. After your chicken is cooked, let it cool until you can handle it. While it's cooling, chop your onions and put into a mixing bowl.
4. Once it's cool, shred the chicken or cut into small pieces and put into the mixing bowl.
5. Add the cream cheese and use a fork to mix the chicken, onion, and cream cheese together. (Add pimentos now if you decide to add them.)
6. Use Pam or other cooking spray on a baking sheet, I usually cover mine with aluminum foil. Open crescent rolls. Use TWO of the triangles for each chicken square. Lay out flat on the baking sheet and kind of stretch out a little bit. Use your fingers to make sure the "seam" stays together.
7. How much you use of the chicken/cream cheese mixture is up to you. I'd use about 1/3 -1/2 c. in each one. Once you have enough, pull up the corners of the crescent roll corners one at a time to make a package.
8. Do this until all of the crescent rolls are gone. (Duh.)
9. Place baking sheet in oven and cook according to crescent roll directions.

Serve with salad and veggies or fruit.

Makes 8 servings.

NOTE: Use the triangles instead of the "squares" to make servings for little ones or to make a great appetizer!

This sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be trying this one out sometime!

Welcome to our thread! :thumbsup2

WFD tonight?
TGIF, that's all I have to say! :yay:

OK, all done with the acronyms now, I move on...

I am really not sure what's for dinner tonight at my house. Eldest DD is at an end-of-school-year slumber party this evening, so she won't be eating with us. Younger two DDs eat like birds (really really NOT hungry ones) so will be happy with some cheese toast and a bowl of apple sauce and some carrot sticks.
That leaves DH and I, and I am not sure what we will have. We really don't have any leftovers in the fridge right now, and whatever we have also has to be kind of fast, since he doesn't get home from work till 5:30 and I have to leave to go to a friend's graduation by 6:30. I have one of those all-in-one skillet meals in a bag in the freezer... I think its chicken alfredo with veggies... I may just cook that up. That way the kids can have some of it too if they want to.... but they won't want to LOL. All mixed together and too much vegetation.... no way jose. :sad2:

Anyhow, hope everyone has a good Friday!

WFD tonight?
TGIF, that's all I have to say! :yay:

OK, all done with the acronyms now, I move on...

I am really not sure what's for dinner tonight at my house. Eldest DD is at an end-of-school-year slumber party this evening, so she won't be eating with us. Younger two DDs eat like birds (really really NOT hungry ones) so will be happy with some cheese toast and a bowl of apple sauce and some carrot sticks.
That leaves DH and I, and I am not sure what we will have. We really don't have any leftovers in the fridge right now, and whatever we have also has to be kind of fast, since he doesn't get home from work till 5:30 and I have to leave to go to a friend's graduation by 6:30. I have one of those all-in-one skillet meals in a bag in the freezer... I think its chicken alfredo with veggies... I may just cook that up. That way the kids can have some of it too if they want to.... but they won't want to LOL. All mixed together and too much vegetation.... no way jose. :sad2:

Anyhow, hope everyone has a good Friday!

I'll second that!! TGIF is right! Whew!!!!

Why is it the end of the school year ramps up with a BANG?!! So much to do, more papers to keep up with, gifts to get, YIKES!!! :upsidedow Calgon take me away! Seems like just when you'd need a little more time, you get a lot less. :crazy:

What's for dinner. Friday is cooks night off! Yea! Pizza it is. :) Yea! Red Barron with extra pepperoni added. We'll have some red grapes too. That will probably do it!

This sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be trying this one out sometime!

Welcome to our thread! :thumbsup2

I am going to ditto Tanya on all points!! I will have to wait until my hubby isn't around for the squares though!!

I'll second that!! TGIF is right! Whew!!!!

Why is it the end of the school year ramps up with a BANG?!! So much to do, more papers to keep up with, gifts to get, YIKES!!! :upsidedow Calgon take me away! Seems like just when you'd need a little more time, you get a lot less. :crazy:

What's for dinner. Friday is cooks night off! Yea! Pizza it is. :) Yea! Red Barron with extra pepperoni added. We'll have some red grapes too. That will probably do it!

I have no clue why end of school year is that way but then we added birthdays too:upsidedow

Tonight will probably be mac & cheese....my girls :lovestruc my homemade mac and it's easy and doesn't need brain cells...all things that scream Friday to me!!

Tonight is ........ Frozen Pizza Dinner!! I know it's not the greatest, but @ .68 per pizza, it will do for soccer night. As always there is fresh fruit and veggies to go along with the pizzas.

I have to echo the TGIF sentiment! Three birthdays down, one more to go! My youngest DS turns 9 tomorrow!:goodvibes

Tonight I've decided to use the leftover ham and make a ham, broccoli and cheese quiche. I had a Pillsbury pie crust in the freezer, so I'll use that up. No too expensive for the other ingredients! My youngest DS will have the leftover pizza from last night. He doesn't "do" quiche! I have some salad in the fridge, along with fruit salad. I'm sure we'll all have full tummies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter