What's for dinner? Was it "budget"?

I second the TGIF thing. We were at a meeting (robotics team for hs) that went way over and got home at 7:30. DH and I had leftover soup, ds14 had leftover hamburger helper and ds12 had ??? cereal? cheez-its??? whatever it was he didn't complain. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that there was a ice cream social as part of the team meeting.

Yummy soup:

1.5 c leftover grilled chicken breast (when it's on sale, hubby grills up a ton, I slice and then freeze it in 2-4 c. portions)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
chicken broth (I use a soup starter from Costco - so tablespoon or so in 5? cups of water)
cumin - a small pile in my hand
chili powder - a slightly larger pile
3 or 4 heaping tablespoons of extra spicy salsa that I need to get rid of
epazote - big pinch

Epazote an herb that reduces the gassiness of beans. I got mine from Penzey's Spices. That's a great website if you like to cook!

NHWX

My son and I just had spaghetti with traditional tomato sauce.

16 ounce spaghetti box- $.75

Spaghetti Sauce- $1.00

Total Price- $1.75

Price per person- $.87

Very cheap....and good!!!!

Just me and DBF:

Angus burgers - free
Kaiser rolls - free (he gets free burgers quarterly from work and the chef at his company gave us some leftovers on Friday)
Ketchup - $.10
Tortilla chips - $.75

Not bad at all!

We had leftover grilled chicken, corn on the cob (10 for $2.00), leftover watermelon and honeydew melon. Gotta love leftovers!!!!

We are having a large cobb salad, with hard boiled eggs, diced ham, carrot "match sticks", tomatoes, heated chicken strips, and anything else I can find that sounds appealing. :) :laughing: :laughing:

For dessert, DS and I are making a yellow cake with chocolate chips and topped with white chocolate pudding (with chocolate chips for decoration). Yum!

WFD at your house?

uummm.....a turkey sub from a local shop here...I have been sealing my tile floors, cutting my grass and doing laundry all day. Plus I have only dog & cat food in my house.

We ate the leftovers from last nights dinner at the Japanese hibachi steakhouse for lunch today, so dinner tonight will be light. Probably a large salad, cheese and crackers, and strawberries for dessert.

Oh, and I'm in the process of baking Amish Friendship bread. It's one of those things that someone gives you a starter, and you have to squish the bag for 10 days, and add flour, milk and sugar one of the days. Then you separate the batter and give starters to three friends, and mix a bunch of ingredients with the leftover batter. So I have two loaves of this bread (which is more like cake, really) in the oven right now. Smells really good!

We are having chicken alfredo and garlic toast with a salad. I have some leftover peach pie for dessert. I got BOGOfree chicken breasts at Winn Dixie yesterday - 6 large breasts for about $7. I will probably only use one large one for dinner tonight since I am chopping it up and putting it in sauce.

Tonight was 2 of the biggest potatoes I've seen in my life, sliced thin, coated THICK in dried Dill, then sprinkled heavily in garlic salt and lightly sprinkled (just a dash) of chile lemon pepper, then deep fried to crispy perfection, and dipped in ranch dressing with stirred in Tequila BBQ sauce.

Cost: about $2.00 for the whole family.
Though not a 4 course meal... still filling.

I've been watching too much Food TV. I coated the taters by tossing them in the air in a huge wok (no heat). I have discovered I like using my wok to mix up meals, then just rinse and store.:thumbsup2

We are having spaghetti tonight; homemade marinara sauce - simmering right now and smells soooo good. I willl broil some garlic Italian sausages, and cut them up to serve with the noodles and sauce. Garlic bread, and raw veggies with ranch on the side. :)
Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Leftover barbeque chicken, a leftover tomato sauce, sliced hoagie rolls (leftover from the same cookout), 50% light shredded mozzarella. Cucumber sticks. I have no idea what it cost; chicken was $1.69/lb. I should have bought more! Probably about $5-8 total. I don't remember the cost of the rolls either.

But very yummy for a kickback Sunday after a really busy Saturday.

NHWX

Tonight was an example of why you should never shop when you are hungry.:sad2:
We went to BJ's just to buy bread and chicken breasts...saw some pre-made stuffed chicken parm ...looked good at the time...$10.00 for 4 servings:scared1: . Rationalized it as a quick easy dinner..
Made them tonight and they were YUCK! :scared: processed, salty, icky flavor...got what we deserved. :guilty:
Made some pasta with olive oil and garlic and some brocolli for sides..i ended up eating just the pasta and brocolli...

Lesson learned. ;)

tonight is:

roast: bargain at $3.50
potatoes and fixings: :confused3
salad: :confused3
some of the very expensive fruit we got yesterday about $2 (not really expensive it just was a bad trip to Costco:rotfl: )

Super Budget tonight. We ate a late, late picnic lunch so none of us were starving.

English muffin pizzas-topped with leftover pepperoni/mushrooms/cheese from a pizza I already accounted for. .25

Sliced Asian Pears- 1.00

Leftover potato salad
Leftover carrot and celery sticks

1.25...not bad!

We had 2 soccer games and a sweet 16 party so...

Turkey Stock - no cost already budgeted
1/3 bag of baby carrots, 2 stalks celery, and 1/4 large onion $.75
1 can chicken broth .50
1/2 bag of egg noodles .50
Loaf of Italian bread.... 1.50

$3.25 for at least 8 servings....

Today the high was only 50's here, rainy, and windy... A perfect meal!

Today we celebrated my son Dan's birthday, so he got his favourite meal: chick-pea spinach curry with brown rice and salad. For a cake I made a vegan brownie recipe but left it as one big rectangle, then covered it with chocolate frosting. (He likes that better than cake, which he finds tends to be dry.) I doubled the chickpea spinach curry recipe and doubled the rice so I have some extra packaged up for him to take to work for lunches next week.

My whole family was here, and 3-year-old Callista found the curry too spicy (big brother 6-year-old Sebastian LOVED it though!) so we made her some baked beans in tomato sauce, some multi-grain tortilla chips and a fruit and tofu smoothie instead. (I had the beans in the fridge so we just reheated them for her.)

It was kind of a day of disasters, though! Dan had been out partying with his friends the night before so he was a bit - let's say under the weather. Baby Xavier fell (who is 11 months) fell and split his lip - lots of blood - and that got Callista very upset. We barely had the bleeding stopped and everyone calmed down when Callista somehow got a splinter in her foot and that led to a lot of tears as her dad tried to remove it. That meant they were all pretty tired and cranky by the time they went home.

We are planning a Disney trip for December so we were trying to plan out our ADR's without giving things away to the kids. Lots of spelling!

Teresa

Tonight is BLT's. Quick and easy...I have yoga tonight! Tomorrow I'm going to put some beef cubes, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms and sour cream in the crock pot. I'll serve over noodles or rice. It'll be nice to have a hot meal...our temps here are frigid for May!

Tonight is BLT's. Quick and easy...I have yoga tonight! Tomorrow I'm going to put some beef cubes, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms and sour cream in the crock pot. I'll serve over noodles or rice. It'll be nice to have a hot meal...our temps here are frigid for May!

yummy beef stroganoff:goodvibes It's downright HOT!! here for May.

I am going to try out my new chopper (found it at Williams-Sonoma) and quarter some of the 13 lbs of oranges I got at Costco (told you it was a bad trip:rotfl: ).

It's also band parent meeting so something quick!! Probably tuna melts again. Or parmesan noodles, salad, veggies and fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter