What to you buy at the grocery, with every intention of eating, but end up throwing away?

Almost nothing...but the one thing that sometimes gets away are bean sprouts (which I only buy when less than $1) - they go bad in 3-4 days, and I usually buy them for the spouse to use in his lunches, so if he doesn't, and I don't notice, they can go bad. In fact, I tossed a bag today - 1st item I've tossed in months...

I hate wasting food and never use up a whole bunch of celery before it goes bad. So now I buy those pre-cut snack packages with 7 or 8 small pieces.

Financially it doesn’t make sense; it’s cheaper to buy the whole bunch and throw out the leftovers.

I heard Wegmans sells loose celery by the rib.

For asparagus I take three or four stalks from several bunches instead of the whole rubber banded bunch.

Some supermarkets sells eggs by the half dozen.

I no longer buy bagged lettuces or spring mix. One market brought back their salad bar after covid so I buy just the amount I need.

Usually produce (onions, potatoes, basil, celery). I'll need some for a recipe, then the rest just rots in the fridge or pantry.

Same as everybody else...bagged salad and greens. I also end up throwing out at least half of all the baking I do, unless it’s being made to intentionally give to others. My family always says they want something (cake, pie, special dessert of some sort) but then with only eat a serving or two. That’s a huge source of waste here bit I’m at the point now where I just very rarely bake anything for them.

Same as everybody else...bagged salad and greens. I also end up throwing out at least half of all the baking I do, unless it’s being made to intentionally give to others. My family always says they want something (cake, pie, special dessert of some sort) but then with only eat a serving or two. That’s a huge source of waste here bit I’m at the point now where I just very rarely bake anything for them.

If you use a cake mix, you can weigh out half the mix and use half the ingredients called for on the package and just do a single 8 or 9 inch circle...and if you still want 2 layers, cut the circle through the middle and stack.

It should help with waste only having 1/2 as much at one time...

Bananas- I feel like there's only a day or two when they are actually good.

Also grapes- if I put them in the fridge no one eats them and if I leave them out, no one eats them because they're not cold!

Put a paper towel in the bag of lettuce and leave the bag open. It will keep for an extra day or two before going bad.

I dry lettuce, put a paper towel in a Ziplock bag and then the lettuce, push air out and seal. Dry and crispy up to 4 days in coldest area of fridge.

Produce is a big one for me. I make a nice meal plan every week, lots of fresh veggies, but then my fatigue and pain get bad so I don't have the energy to actually cook said meals. Thus the veggies end up going bad. I have started to use more frozen veggies for sides since I can still stir fry or roast them, but they won't go bad if I miss a meal.

Bread used to be a problem, but my grocery store now carries a brand that does half loaves and half packages of hamburger and hot dog buns. Tortillas are still a problem. I just can't get through them all and often forget to throw them into the freezer.

Lots of folk saying salad/lettuce. I need to expand on that because I just finished a bag of salad. Doesn't last long enough as it's all I eat several times a week for dinner, so they are larger than your side salad with the meal you would eat. However, I buy the tub of it and it degrades rapidly and I always have to throw it away halfway through eating it.

Also I can't stand bread in the fridge, but that was the only way it didn't get moldy very fast when I first moved here. Lately though, it's been perfectly fine for weeks. I no longer have to throw regular bread away.

And milk would be the other one. A quart isn't enough as I buy milk if I happen to buy cereal. I always have cereal left over. But a half gallon, such as in my fridge right now, goes bad before I can use it up. I'm thinking of trying powdered milk as on occasion I cook breakfast and need but don't have milk.

Produce of all kinds. It seems I can never eat asparagus fast enough as they get slimy and I can.not.eat.it.
Asparagus was on sale for $1.99 at Walmart and looked half decent. It's usually not good and the grocery store is $4.99/lb.

I bulk cook so cooked 6 lb. of it in the air fryer last night to go with my pork chops that are in the freezer cooked.

One way I deal with the milk issue is that I buy oat milk for cereal and the like. Then if I am baking or cooking, I buy the smaller bottles that have like 2 cups in them. It may not be as "budget" as buying more milk, but the oat milk lasts a LOT longer (and upset my stomach less).

Cilantro. I also struggle with the bagged salad mixes. From my upcoming book "First World Problems";)

Sometimes when we shop together my spouse will joking ask, "Hey, do you want to buy a pineapple so we can let it sit on the counter until it rots?"

I will admit there have definitely been quite a few that have wound up fed to our chickens and/or chopped up and tossed into the compost pile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter