What to do day before cruise

Boardwalk Family

Earning My Ears
we are getting into MCO early afternoon the day before a cruise. Staying at the MCO Hyatt that night. Rather than spend 7 hours there, any thoughts on what to do that afternoon and evening. Don’t plan on renting a car as we will be getting a ride the following morning to the port. Thanks!

Unless you really have get to the port later or have to do something why not have a travel recovery day? By early afternoon I am guessing around 2 pm. First of all you may be late, sometimes that happens with air travel:confused3. At MCO checked bags can take a little longer than other airport so I would guess by the time you deplane, have your bags and get checked in it will be about 3pm or later. If you plan on a meal in the hotel or airport and a stroll through the shops that gives you a little time to “Veg out” and to organize your bags/ship carry-on before bed. That should have you up in time for breakfast and off to the port by 9 without feeling rushed.

Not sure which day you depart but some time on the beach at Cocoa with dinner at the port, watching the ships sail out, is always a great way to prep for a cruise. If you are Fantasy on Saturday you would get to see the Dream sail away on Friday. Being at MCO that would require an over, back and then over again the next morning. If you really want to do something running over to Disney is the most logical. If you have an AP why not grab an Uber to the parks for the afternoon, No pass, then another option is Disney Springs for a little touch of Disney, shopping and dining. Universal City Walk would a be similar way to kill some time and grab a bite. Expect to factor in at least a 30 min travel time each way for those options. There might be other options but without knowing your specific interests it would be hard to add more.

we are getting into MCO early afternoon the day before a cruise. Staying at the MCO Hyatt that night. Rather than spend 7 hours there, any thoughts on what to do that afternoon and evening. Don’t plan on renting a car as we will be getting a ride the following morning to the port. Thanks!

The airport has lots of restaurants and shopping, of course there's people watching. There's a big Epic theater not too far from the airport that has all the first run movies, it would be an easy taxi ride. You could also consider visiting the Florida mall, also not too far away by taxi. They have a wide variety of shopping including a nice Disney store. If you're sailing in the near future there's even a Cirque du Soleil show at Florida Mall right now.

You could also plan a Disney dinner that night at one of the resorts (Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review or 1900 Park Fare). That may be a fun way to get excited about the trip.

Or you could go to Disney Springs for a while- walk around, catch a movie, eat some dinner.

After a day of travel you will probably be tired and if you have children traveling with you they could be grumpy. How early is early afternoon?
My suggestion would be, since you are booked at the MCO Hyatt, just stay put. By the time you arrive at MCO and get your luggage then check in you may find it is going on to a point where you can just appreciate staying put. The Hyatt has a pool on the roof, why not just decompose and have the family enjoy that? As far as meals, you have tons in the airport. Are you familiar with the MCO Hyatt? If you are then you will know that there are tons of quick service locations such as Chic fil a, Panda express, Quiznos. There are some sit down restaurants as well such as Macaroni Grill. Everything you need is right there, no need to go outside at all. We use their day room rates just for these factors. Its easy to relax and enjoy, its all right there.

If you are interested in going out the options listed by others are very good. Keep in mind, even with an Uber the cost of going to Disney for the afternoon is not cheap. We have taken several Ubers from Universal and it has ranged in the area of $35 to $40 one way and Disney is farther than Universal. The Florida Mall is fairly close if shopping is your thing however I have found most of the stores in the mall are the same stores we have at home so no big deal IMO.

What ever you decide have a great time.

We usually cruise in Jan to escape from the bitter cold where we live. We've always stayed at hotels in Orlando(haven't stayed at Hyatt) so we just relax at the hotel pool for a few hours and then go out to dinner.

Personally I’d rent a car and stay by the port. Spend the day swimming in pool and out for dinner.

Breathe. Relax. Decompress. Enjoy the pool. Watch some TV. Watch the airplanes come and go.

Hyatt MCO has a nice outdoor pool on floor 6 I believe. Also they have 2 very good restaurants at the hotel as well

The pool and the restaurants at the Hyatt are actually quite nice!

But if you are doing a Disney cruise, why not stay in a WDW hotel instead?

The Hyatt is rarely cheaper than a WDW hotel.

The Hyatt has a pool on the roof, why not just decompose and have the family enjoy that?

That's my suggestion. We didn't get time when we last stayed there to do more than look at it. It overlooks the airport so it's got pretty cool views. I'd be getting checked in, eat, go to pool (or vice versa), repack if you need to for the next day, go to the shops in the airport, and just generally chill. The day will go by faster than you think and depending on what time you plan to take the bus, you might want to get a good night's sleep if you have to get up early. Seven hours isn't really a lot of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter