What is most important to you when choosing a resort?

My biggest consideration is bus stops. I have stayed at both POR and POFQ and prefer FQ by far bc there is only one bus stop. This issue is what has kept me away from resorts like the Fort and CB.

- view from balcony
- serenity & elegance, and having option of various activities nearby

Budget, "worth", queen beds and amenities are our top 4. Based on those criteria's, we really like the Mods because they come the closest to our top 4. But we will stay at values when we want to do a spur of the moment trip with a limited budget and have just as much fun. We stay deluxe when we get in the mood to splurge, which is getting less and less :rotfl:

In general, I don't like moderates. They're too big with not enough payoff for the money for my liking. POFQ being the exception.

So I tend to go back and forth between value (seems pop is usually cheapest) and deluxe. So then it depends on the purpose of the trip. If I'm just going to visit all parks, probably value. Upcoming trip is for SWW so I want to be close to HS so going with BC. I've done Epcot area resorts during flower and garden before,too. I'm debating a Xmas trip this year and would probably do a monorail resort.

We have to love the theming, especially in the public spaces and pool area. I want the resort to feel truly magical.
We always stay deluxe. I like to be pampered when I'm on vacation.
When DS was younger, our priority was proximity to MK, so we stayed at GF a lot. GF is still my favorite, but now we like renting DVC for more space and privacy. We've stayed at BCV and BWV. Next on the list would be GFV and BLV.
We didn't realize how important dining options were until our last stay at BWV. We didn't like that we had to leave the resort in order to eat. Going forward, I would always choose a resort that had dining options, particularly for breakfast.

I base it off of what we are going for, for that particular trip. To me the beauty of Disney is each trip can be totally different. Our last trip, I was pregnant so we didn't want to have tons of park time. We did 7 days at WL, and planned on being at the pool till 2-3pm almost every day, and wanted to enjoy the more upscale Disney dining. Being close to Artist Point, Cali Grill, Narcossee's was what we were going for. I could get a good deal on WL so we went with that. It was the most relaxing Dis trip we've ever done.
Our next trip will be a group of over 20 ppl. For that we are doing FW cabins, because its so great for groups, yet with all the little ones its still close to MK.
Ideally we are MK and Epcot fans so being on or near the monorail is top priority. However we also love Beach Club because we really enjoy walking to Epcot and the vibe of Stormalong Bay.
For us, give us Deluxe over any! But I'll never pay full price.

We are DVC owners and we love the location of the Epcot resorts. Being able to walk to Epcot is great for us and also all the dining options in that location as well.We own at BLT and GF, but stay at BC and BW for that reason. But I have to admit the VGF are my favorite because I just think that resort is beautiful and very relaxing.

Really, budget is our #1 but, other than that, it's theming. I love rooms that still have that Disney factor (love Royal rooms!). Another is size of the resort and closeness to DTD (since we visit there on our first day).
POFQ is our favorite but will go to POR for any special offers (like free dining or spring discount) that aren't available at POFQ.

If budget was not a factor? Poly (exotic theming + character dining) on the monorail and yummy food options.
And Yacht Club or Beach Club for F&W festival ^_^

Again, theming is a huge factor for us! I mean, cmon, BCV has Ariel themed throws! :)

Number one reason to book a resort is location. We love the BC more for its location than anything else. Its theme and food options are irrelevant to us. We also love the Wilderness Lodge, which is both theme and location. We love being able to walk to FW and watch fireworks from the beach. And the proximity to MK is really great. But we also love the theme.

For Disney, budget is a huge consideration. I have no interest in spending $500 per night. This time we are trying POR so my youngest can sleep on the murphy bed and we all get our own sleeping space.

My problem is not the amount it's the quality. I hate being overcharged and in no way is Disney deluxes worth that money.

Anyhoo op,

1) Rooms. size is important, also bed size. no I cannot sleep on a full or double.
2) amenities. What are the eating options? are they always packed and noisy? how's the pool (we go in August, it's Africa hot. pool is important).

1. Transportation. Loved the AKL. It's SO beautiful, and I thought with just one resort stop, we'd be fine with the buses, but one morning on the way to MK one morning, my oldest got sick and threw up. And she's not the only motion sickness sufferer. We now look for something that doesn't have to bus everywhere. Love the monorails (so far, Poly is the best for transportation, I think).
2. Space. We could probably do two rooms at a moderate rather than one at a deluxe (kids are all adults now), if not for the buses.
3. Theme
4. We go less often ( :( ) and as kids leave college, there's more $, so budget matters less than it used to. Maybe. All of a sudden the oldest is talking about med school...

My problem is not the amount it's the quality. I hate being overcharged and in no way is Disney deluxes worth that money.

I completely agree. I hate feeling ripped off. I don't mind spending money on something that's worth it, but a Disney hotel in which I only sleep and shower just isn't worth it.

1. Location - prefer monorail resorts or Epcot area resorts.
2. Theming
3. What kind of discount can I get?

This is a good question. I like how it got me thinking and it was so interesting reading everyone's responses!
For us the number one thing is - can the room fit my family of 5 comfortably.
For my husband - no driving. We have to stay on site. He would prefer not driving - dealing with traffic, parking et al on vacation.
My kids are not teenagers so we are limited to Deluxes, Family Suites or staying in a DVC Villa.
After that it is location. We travel during school breaks so we want to be able to walk to a park. That means Epcot area where we can walk to two parks!
We all love BWI and BC. BWI for its theming and BC for its pool.

I choose a resort based on what my family/group likes to do. Proximity to a specific park for instance. I love staying at BC as I can walk to EC or take a boat to DHS. Also, the pool at BC is really nice.

On the other hand CR/BLT is also great as you can walk back from MK plus you have quick access to the Monorail that takes you to other resorts and EC.

That I actually feel like I am on vacation.... relaxed and able to wander around in a quiet, peaceful and beautiful place. That is why I prefer POR!

In the past it used to be budget/price, followed by theming, and then location (close to DTD and ESPN WWoS).

However, now that I'm older and can actually afford to spend a bit more, to me it's comfort & quietness, followed by resort dining options & accommodations, and then location. Yes, getting a great price or discount is awesome, but I'm willing to splurge more to get what I want out of the resort.

#1 - queen beds. DH is 6'5", double beds won't cut it.
#2 - environment. After spending all day in a concrete jungle of a park, I want my resort to feel more natural. We are small town woods-dwellers, trees & grass lowers our blood pressure! :P (Oddly enough WL holds little appeal, as everything where we live is log cabin.)
#3/4 tie between budget/location. We would really like MK proximity, while keeping our budget in check. We don't skimp on vacations, but the cheapa$$ in me really has trouble over $500/nt.
#5 - the preferences of the other 3 parties we travel with (parents, sisters family & aunt). But, I'm the planner, so my opinions get more consideration!!! Hahaha!

#1 Location / Transportation Options: We like having shorter trips to parks and options for how to get there, if we can afford the luxury.
#2 Bed Size: We haven't chosen to spend 10 days in double beds, which has kept us out of the Values.
#3 General Theme: We prefer a quiet rural theme, so we have really enjoyed both WL and POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter