What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read all of Alynw posts and makes a lot of good points. I will say this, I can give you a Drivers Manual and tell you everything there is to know about driving a car, but until you get behind the wheel and do it yourself you really have no clue. Same with Disney, I can give the wisdom of my over 50 visits the WDW, but until someone actually goes there and experiences it they have no clue. The truth is as much as I love going to WDW, there are those who just do not care for the hustle and bustle, the planning and planning disappointments. To each there own-and all the info in the world that Disney could offer will not change it.

I have read all of Alynw posts and makes a lot of good points. I will say this, I can give you a Drivers Manual and tell you everything there is to know about driving a car, but until you get behind the wheel and do it yourself you really have no clue. Same with Disney, I can give the wisdom of my over 50 visits the WDW, but until someone actually goes there and experiences it they have no clue. The truth is as much as I love going to WDW, there are those who just do not care for the hustle and bustle, the planning and planning disappointments. To each there own-and all the info in the world that Disney could offer will not change it.

Thank you for understanding, I agree with your point as well. I'm not saying that Disney literally hold people's hands or write a step-by-step touring guide. But even in a driver's manual when there is an area that requires a little more attention they add an asterisk that let's you know you need to do some further more in depth research. That is literally all I'm saying, that Disney let folks know the areas where they need to look further than the Disney website for the best information. As it is rite now, Disney gives people a false sense of security that everything is planned perfectly through their mde platform. People dont just start doing a more in depth research on something they believe is already complete especially when their putting their faith in that Disney provides the best planning. They could literally just make a small note or asterisk that says "highly recommended to further research fp strategies"....I mean just put anything they want so as long as it let's people know that there is such a thing as detailed Disney touring guides that exist and is almost certainly a necessity for the first time guests.

Wow, You just dont get it do u. U are arguing just to be argumentative cause your point is completely irrelevant and totally speculative at best. If Disney actually gave all the info in the world and people still didn't get it, then yes, the statement "all the info in the world that Disney could offer will not change it"
But Disney hasn't given all the info in the world now have they, so to say it wouldn't work is pure speculation. Which brings me back to the point I've been trying to make which is that Disney doesn't offer enough info for first time guests. Now, If Disney did in fact post all this information then yea, I'm sure there would be folks that still dont get it but I'm sure their would be a whole lot more that would get it and the ones that did would have a much better experience and would really appreciate Disney posting the info. But hey, maybe Disney has already recognized the need for more and better information to help their guest better plan and strategize their vacation and that's what the new Disney planning "Genie" is all about. Either way, I'm over this topic.

Wow, You just dont get it do u. U are arguing just to be argumentative cause your point is completely irrelevant and totally speculative at best. If Disney actually gave all the info in the world and people still didn't get it, then yes, the statement "all the info in the world that Disney could offer will not change it"
But Disney hasn't given all the info in the world now have they, so to say it wouldn't work is pure speculation. Which brings me back to the point I've been trying to make which is that Disney doesn't offer enough info for first time guests. Now, If Disney did in fact post all this information then yea, I'm sure there would be folks that still dont get it but I'm sure their would be a whole lot more that would get it and the ones that did would have a much better experience and would really appreciate Disney posting the info. But hey, maybe Disney has already recognized the need for more and better information to help their guest better plan and strategize their vacation and that's what the new Disney planning "Genie" is all about. Either way, I'm over this topic.
What I got is we have completely two different ideas here and you've got in your mind exactly what every 'first timer' needs. It's why we don't see eye to eye and probably won't; totally ok honestly.

Have you thought about being a Disney travel agent and I say that sincerely. Seems like you could give people all the information and plan their trips for them. Win win for you I would say :flower3:

Yuppers. I stand by my agreement for the other poster's comment :)

What I got is we have completely two different ideas here and you've got in your mind exactly what every 'first timer' needs. It's why we don't see eye to eye and probably won't; totally ok honestly.

Have you thought about being a Disney travel agent and I say that sincerely. Seems like you could give people all the information and plan their trips for them. Win win for you I would say :flower3:

Yuppers. I stand by my agreement for the other poster's comment :)

No, it's not 2 completely different ideas. Your so called idea is based off a hypothetical theory that even if Disney gave everyone all the information in the world they still couldn't get it right so why even bother. That is what I would call an assumption and a pour one at that.

No, it's not 2 completely different ideas. Your so called idea is based off a hypothetical theory that even if Disney gave everyone all the information in the world they still couldn't get it right so why even bother. That is what I would call an assumption and a pour one at that.
It's possible you've misread what the PP said which is their comment I agreed with.

"there are those who just do not care for the hustle and bustle, the planning and planning disappointments. To each there own-and all the info in the world that Disney could offer will not change it."

If you think it's a poor assumption fine, but know that I'm not the only one to share it; various other posters have said along the same lines.

There really was no need to go after my comment just because I agreed with the other poster who said the same thing I did before but thanks for insulting me (and no I'm not hurt by it) after I gave you a genuine compliment about being a Disney travel agent--you probably would be quite good at it.

Let's just ignore each other might be best :)

After reading for years about the reasons to not purchase DVC, I think this is a spot on statement. Rising prices plus a diluted experience is not what any guest expects.
In honesty, becoming a dvc member was the best decision my family ever made pertaining to disney.

Good for you! I think the post about trying to capture a lost nostalgia via DVC was so unique and something I never really considered previously.
Kk, no problem. I thought it pertained to buying dvc. My bad.

You can go to a park and just wing it. You're just not getting the dinner seating you want or you're just waiting on line longer.

It doesn't take an ultra planner to book some ADR 180 days in advance and then tweak them as your plan changes. I shuffle around ADRs not just on the same day but to different days all the way up to the day before the reservation.

This works for you. But there are many us who don't plan their trips six months out. We (family of 6) tend to vacation on short notice (lots of factors as to why). I am very familiar with WDW tricks and hacks and used to be able to just show up and "wing it" and have a great time. Not any more. FP+ are hard to schedule for 6 people less than 60 days out. Also, I hate the feeling of having to run back and forth across the park in order to show up for my meal and ride "appointments." This is even more frustrating because of ride breakdowns and delays in being seated that mess up the whole day's plan. I also dislike having to stare at my phone refreshing for FP+. I want to be enjoying the day with my children, not feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack.

We took a 4 week trip to Europe with the kids and did almost no planning. We rented a motorhome, picked out our first night's campground, and made a rough list of cities and a few major sites we hoped to see en-route. And that was the extent of our planning. I downloaded some guidebooks to my kindle and I read them aloud to my husband/kids as we drove. Everyone (including the kids) provided input in real-time as to what to do. We toured (real) castles in Germany, Swiss villages, Tuscan towns, Rome, the Cinque Terre, Pisa, Greek ruins in southern Italy, Venice, Salzberg, and Munich. Some of our favorite days were those that we spent touring awesome, low-key sites that weren't in the guidebook. Awesome trip and highly recommend.

Here's what I'm finding out about myself lately with Disney. When I got the pin code the other day, i literally laughed out loud and told my wife, "Nope, no way in hell are we going".

I'm finding out that i'm not just "disneyed out", I'm actually pretty upset with Disney for the direction they've gone in the past few years. I'm the guy that has 25 Disney mugs in his cabinet, probably 10 disney shirts that I wear to work on occasion, and the guy that people say "you're going to disney again" and the one they come to to help plan their trip.

The planning, the pricing, the nickle and diming, the crowds, the fast passes, the parking fees, the food, you name it, its gone downhill, for us at least. For the first time since my wife and i have been together, we are looking at other destinations for vacation next year and finding that a lot more can be done for cheaper than Disney.

We're just one family, and I understand that Disney isn't hurting my losing us.

The thing is, you're not just one family. We sound a lot like you!

I am also one of those weirdos who loves the planning. I see it as an optimization project. I won’t have a tantrum if things don’t go my way though. I learned the hard way when my kids were little that the best laid plans often go astray. Most of what I enjoy about WDW is soaking up the atmosphere, and I hope that the recent cuts won’t affect that too much.

Ditto... I love weirdos! I have 4 trips planned with 4 planning sheets in constant flux, in addition to our lifetime Disney Vacation calendar, DVC Analysis, TIW/DVC/AP/Visa Dining Discount tally and AP Year usage spreadsheet. DW just rolls her eyes and overpacks and goes with the flow.

If we were all the same, we would not be called humans, but lemmings.
What works for one person/family does not translate to it working for others.
Some can extract a lot of information through research from multiple sources based on near to zero information, while others can have all the info in the world and still not be able to plan for "Disney success". Disney has a LOT of market research to maximizing profits and frankly may not care what a "first timer's magical experience may look like". In today's world, management is all about meeting their quarterly goals and building a long term attraction may not align with the original Disney vision of creating an experience to enjoy.
Disney, as a business, has shown resiliency in keeping their profits up. As much as we, the Disney lovers, hate what they have done to the dream of Disney, there is no denying the corporate success they have had. IMO what is going o with Disney is maximizing shareholder value.

I just wanted to add that I will never use their mobile ordering system again. It glitched out on me on the app, said the system was down and then they charged my card anyway. I then went through the line and paid with a gift card.

It took me half an hour or so to get it straightened out at guest services and it was an all around terrible experience. They didn’t even apologize for their mistake.

Honestly, even though I am currently in the planning loop, jumping through the hoops to have my preplanned relaxing trip, and, I do think that putting the effort in before the trip makes the trip better, I ALSO believe that a relaxing vacation should not involve this much effort.
I have particular reasons to want to go to WDW this one more time though.
I don't think Disney should give step by step guidelines, but I do think a small thing once you are booked, like a small calendar with Your ADR Date is x - while we do have options available all the time, if you really want specific meals, character meals etc, you are advised to book early. Check www..... for menus and info. Your FP+ date is y. See www... for which parks have which rides available to FP. FPS make the queue shorter for you, so, it is worth making some.
Everything after that is really about experience and personal preference, and there is also joy in being able to discover YOUR Disney holiday,

Honestly, even though I am currently in the planning loop, jumping through the hoops to have my preplanned relaxing trip, and, I do think that putting the effort in before the trip makes the trip better, I ALSO believe that a relaxing vacation should not involve this much effort.
I have particular reasons to want to go to WDW this one more time though.
I don't think Disney should give step by step guidelines, but I do think a small thing once you are booked, like a small calendar with Your ADR Date is x - while we do have options available all the time, if you really want specific meals, character meals etc, you are advised to book early. Check www..... for menus and info. Your FP+ date is y. See www... for which parks have which rides available to FP. FPS make the queue shorter for you, so, it is worth making some.
Everything after that is really about experience and personal preference, and there is also joy in being able to discover YOUR Disney holiday,

You have some good suggestions.

I just wanted to add that I will never use their mobile ordering system again. It glitched out on me on the app, said the system was down and then they charged my card anyway. I then went through the line and paid with a gift card.

It took me half an hour or so to get it straightened out at guest services and it was an all around terrible experience. They didn’t even apologize for their mistake.

I have constant glitches while on site. Works great at home which is funny. I have had glitches while making or changing same day ADR’s. Couldn’t figure out if I had an ADR or not and continued to get thrown out of MDE so couldn’t even check. Lovely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter